Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

LMAO that Frank Herbert was so specific in wanting his point to come across that in the book Paul basically breaks the fourth wall to say "Hey everyone, I'm worse than Hitler. No bones about it, I'm Hitler^2. Big ol' Hitler over here. That's me. Doing a Hitler up in this piece like Hitlers do, ya know. Enjoying this fine Hitler day doing Hitler stuff." and people are still like "well no Paul's the good guy, right?"

thats because most fantasy/scifi fans are nazis or stalinists and they wish that a magic space daddy would give them power to genocide their enemies

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ChubbyChecker posted:

thats because most fantasy/scifi fans are nazis or stalinists and they wish that a magic space daddy would give them power to genocide their enemies people are dumb as poo poo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
People are just fantastically bad at understanding non-heroic protagonists or unreliable narrators. Whether or not that's because they're so accustomed to heroic protagonists and omniscient narrators. Readers/viewers who consider themselves savvy, discriminating audiences routinely miss simple core themes and, once they're pointed out or become undeniable, double-down and say they don't make sense. Being an audience for mass market media by design isn't hard, but people are still bad at it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

This meme freaked out my sleep addled brain as I thought the creator had somehow gotten into my photos account. No, I've just apparently taken an almost identical photo at the same place:

(It's on the coast of Peru, south of Lima)

So this post isn't completely worthless:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

IIRC, the British did that way earlier in the 1300s when they were fighting in France, resulting in roving bands of British ex-soldiers raiding and pillaging through most of Europe before ending up in Italy as notorious mercenaries.
Good times.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why do soldiers rape so much

How about less raping?

tahnks

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
they're all from Tisdale

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh, famous place, say no more

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why do soldiers rape so much

How about less raping?

tahnks

When you spend a significant amount of time training people to see other people as not human or of less worth so its easier for them to kill, then some of them will inevitably apply those lessons to other areas.

The solution is to not have soldiers.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

HelixFox posted:

What’s Lima? What is that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this is going to be like the time I bought the audiobook of the simlarillion to be able to understand the meme thread isn't it

The audiobook didn’t help, did it?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

When you spend a significant amount of time training people to see other people as not human or of less worth so its easier for them to kill, then some of them will inevitably apply those lessons to other areas.

The solution is to not have soldiers.

It's cute you think people need training for this.

The rampant rape and murder of innocents part not the fighting in the face of death part.

Guyver has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Nov 2, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

neurotech posted:

What’s Lima? What is that?

Lima balls

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Lima beans was right there

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Succ otash

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Killer robot posted:

People are just fantastically bad at understanding non-heroic protagonists or unreliable narrators. Whether or not that's because they're so accustomed to heroic protagonists and omniscient narrators. Readers/viewers who consider themselves savvy, discriminating audiences routinely miss simple core themes and, once they're pointed out or become undeniable, double-down and say they don't make sense. Being an audience for mass market media by design isn't hard, but people are still bad at it.

wasn’t the author’s point that paul was heroic and that was a major part of the problem?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like the dog in your avatar

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wuffles posted:

wasn’t the author’s point that paul was heroic and that was a major part of the problem?

I mean there is a bit of linguistic talking past each other going on there maybe

It depends on if you actually define hero=good guy

You could say he is NOT a hero because his means are terrible

You could say he IS a hero, but heroes are bad actually

It's more that things that we identify as heroism are often not really great things

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

wuffles posted:

I think you mean becoming mythologized and in that course more or less being unable to ultimately controll what people made of it and what they use him for, uhh perhaps. He decides to cross the point of no return instead of dying in the desert. He has seen what will happen, yet is unable to stop the jihad, because the alternatives lead to worse outcomes for humanity in the future. At a certain point, his real person is completely detachable from the myth and chain of events that will follow. Not even his death will stop what's coming. The only thing that is left to do, is to make it less terrible. Paul accepts becoming the villian.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I mean there is a bit of linguistic talking past each other going on there maybe

It depends on if you actually define hero=good guy

You could say he is NOT a hero because his means are terrible

You could say he IS a hero, but heroes are bad actually

It's more that things that we identify as heroism are often not really great things

"Hero's Journey, but evil" was probably more groundbreaking when written in the 60s than when made into a movie today, to be fair

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Guyver posted:

It's cute you think people need training for this.

The rampant rape and murder of innocents part not the fighting in the face of death part.

There are countless studies from multiple armed forces from multiple countries that show this to be not true. In WW2 only 15-20% of Allied forces would initially shoot at the enemy (the exact number is disputed by some but the overall issue is agreed upon by most). It was a huge problem and led to many allied counties completely scrapping and redoing their entire training infrastructure (many copying how Germany had done theirs).

The USA managed to get its fire rate above 50% by Korea and up to 90% by Vietnam.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Nov 2, 2021

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Mega Comrade posted:

There are countless studies from multiple armed forces from multiple countries that show this to be not true. In WW2 only 15-20% of Allied forces would initially shoot at the enemy. It was a huge problem and led to many allied counties completely scrapping and redoing their entire training infrastructure (many copying how Germany had done theirs).

The USA managed to get its fire rate above 50% by Korea and up to 90% by Vietnam.

Y’know what the real funny part is? They’re actually using the psychological training to completely dehumanize your opponent and force yourself into a constant state of threat in police academies right now, so that’s one more great thing the American army’s brought the world

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's not very funny at all :saddumb:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah we basically brainwash them into mindless killing machines so that anybody who leaves the force has to be put down like they do with fighting dogs, extremely normal country over here

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

oscarthewilde posted:

Y’know what the real funny part is? They’re actually using the psychological training to completely dehumanize your opponent and force yourself into a constant state of threat in police academies right now, so that’s one more great thing the American army’s brought the world

Yep. The most famous being David Grossman, who after 2 decades of training soldiers how to kill thought "hmmm maybe this could work for the police! Them seeing citizens as the enemy couldn't possibly have negative consequences."

Behind the bastards did an excellent episode on him ( just search for "The Man who teaches our cops to kill" if you're interested. )

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Nov 2, 2021

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

There are countless studies from multiple armed forces from multiple countries that show this to be not true. In WW2 only 15-20% of Allied forces would initially shoot at the enemy (the exact number is disputed by some but the overall issue is agreed upon by most). It was a huge problem and led to many allied counties completely scrapping and redoing their entire training infrastructure (many copying how Germany had done theirs).

Way to completely ignore the second sentence.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Guyver posted:

Way to completely ignore the second sentence.

So you think people need to be trained to kill the enemy but will murder innocents fine.

Ok

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
For that "I quit my job" text message meme.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need training to do crimes against humanity but it does help. Or at least a supportive social structure of some kind that helps validate the decisions you make.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HelixFox posted:

This meme freaked out my sleep addled brain as I thought the creator had somehow gotten into my photos account. No, I've just apparently taken an almost identical photo at the same place:

TRIPPY

e,c:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i like the dog in your avatar

Too bad, the dog, corrupted by the power that comes with possessing a waffle, becomes Ultra Hitler in the second book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Unmute:

https://i.imgur.com/sJVyLwQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte: