Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Omobono posted:

Ilya kept Heracles permanently under Madness Enhancement because of her abandonment issues, Zero Berserker forced his madness always on (which should not normally be possible but Zero Berserker) for reasons Arturia was there and screw dealing with his mess of emotions sober sane.

If I remember it right, Ilya kept Herakles in Berserker mode constantly because as a living mana battery, its very painful to keep a Berserker of his rank and power active. So she robbed him of his cognisance and made him a massive meat robot as payback.

Lord Koth posted:

It really, REALLY depends on the Caster you draw. Medea is a top tier Caster from the Age of the Gods, so yes she's incredibly powerful when allowed to operate in an effective manner - and even there a Servant with high MR like Artoria was able to just blanket shrug off practically everything forcing Caster to basically play the edge cases to get around it. Like, her only answer to Heracles was basically rely on her wards at the temple weakening him enough that the fake Servant she'd truly warped the rules of the game to summon could (barely) hold him off.\

Actually, Medea doesn't cast Magecraft, which Artoria's Magic resistance no-sells. She uses Sorceries, as in actual real magic. Something her resistance is not as strong against since Artoria is *not* from the age of the gods. Her magic doesn't work so well against Say, Gilgamesh since him and his protections are also from the Age of the Gods, but from an earlier time.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

cdyoung posted:

Actually, Medea doesn't cast Magecraft, which Artoria's Magic resistance no-sells. She uses Sorceries, as in actual real magic. Something her resistance is not as strong against since Artoria is *not* from the age of the gods. Her magic doesn't work so well against Say, Gilgamesh since him and his protections are also from the Age of the Gods, but from an earlier time.

Medea and Artoria had a straight-up, no frills battle in Heaven's Feel and it was swift, brutal and one-sided. Medea didn't even scratch her. You could make an argument that her spirit was broken and she was attempting suicide by Saber, of course. But it doesn't really change the fact that she couldn't even hurt her. You got exhibits from each of the other routes attesting to this, as well - the only thing Medea had that could feasibly overcome Artoria was Rule Breaker.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

cdyoung posted:

If I remember it right, Ilya kept Herakles in Berserker mode constantly because as a living mana battery, its very painful to keep a Berserker of his rank and power active. So she robbed him of his cognisance and made him a massive meat robot as payback.

So, this is a weird distinction that trips a lot of people up:

Magecraft = any effect that could be theoretically replicated with mundane efforts given infinite time and resources, but only within the current human understanding of the universe.

It's a weird restriction, and what it means in layman's terms is that things that would count as Sorceries/True Magic in Medea's historical context are now just Magecraft within the context of the Holy Grail War, and are thus downgraded in terms of Mystics [sic], the ambiguous quality that allows Magecraft to alter the world.

The fact that Medea's Magecraft is from the Age of the Gods means that its Mystics is of a higher quality compared to most modern Magecraft, but that means shitall to Saber's 'Antimagecraft: yes'.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Materant posted:

Medea and Artoria had a straight-up, no frills battle in Heaven's Feel and it was swift, brutal and one-sided. Medea didn't even scratch her. You could make an argument that her spirit was broken and she was attempting suicide by Saber, of course. But it doesn't really change the fact that she couldn't even hurt her. You got exhibits from each of the other routes attesting to this, as well - the only thing Medea had that could feasibly overcome Artoria was Rule Breaker.

To be completely fair there, Artoria is kinda on the higher end of bullshit in terms of the Saber class. I'd give Medea much better odds against Mordred, Siegfried, Extra Saber, or a lot of the FGO ones.

Magic Resistance A being basically "all magic attacks can get hosed" is almost cheating, and that's before we get into her effectively perfect statline (thanks to Mana Burst) and her top-tier offensive and defensive NPs.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Materant posted:

Medea was also a corpse being puppeted by Dark Sakura too, since she was murdered by True assassin. Ore was that just in the movie?

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 27, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XXV - Developing means

Music: School IV

Alright, time to see if we can find a lead on this Vorpal Blade.

By which I mean we go pester Rin for help again.

Er, I was having fun playing...

Huh... Looks like you've forgotten we're in the middle of a war here. With your guard so down, the enemy will slice your head clean off.

~

What is a "Vorpal Blade"?

Vorpal Blade? I think...that's a weapon that has an effect on types of monstrosities... What about it? It's limited in its application, so I doubt it will be of much help. Well, if you do need it, you will have to find an alchemist. Sorry, I can't transmute such a thing. If I were you, I'd find a master alchemist and discuss the matter with them.

...An alchemist? At least I have a lead. I'll ask some of the other Masters.

What a coincidence, we're already friends with a skilled alchemist!

Issei also has something to say.

But I heard that a place known as the Atlas Institution specialized in alchemy and astrology. The Master further down the hall is from the Atlas Institution. You should speak with her.

In case you haven't played Melty Blood and have no idea what Atlas is, Issei points you directly to Rani.

Are you an Atlas alchemist, Rani?

-Yes. I have a somewhat thorough knowledge of the skills required in alchemy. Though, to be accurate, it is my professor who is the alchemist and I the disciple. What of it?

What is a "Vorpal Blade"?

My professor spoke of the Vorpal Blade. It's a Mystic Code effective only against particular targets. With the right materials, like Malachite, I could use alchemy to affect the Arena. But—

Right. Rani may be friendly to me, but she's also a Master I will someday face. Even if I did acquire a Malachite, and Rani can transmute it, she has no reason to help me.

No, it is all right. I have seen that your star is different from the other Masters'. It is possible you are the one my professor spoke of... If you bring me Malachite, I will do my best to transmute it into a Vorpal Blade. I felt like I saw Malachite somewhere in here.

The one her professor spoke of? I don't get it, but at least she sounds willing to cooperate. I'll go search for Malachite before she changes her mind.

Rin gets another marker after Rani offers to help.

Rin Tohsaka says something weird when I tell her I need Malachite to transmute a Vorpal Blade.

Malachite, I see. It's not like I don't have any, but...

I don't think she'll give me any.

Positive I'll be rejected, I ask her anyway. Instead of outright rejecting my request, she smiles at me. It's not a good smile.

For free? Do I look like a charity organization to you? Don't forget that we're enemies. So you can have it...provided you give me something in return.

I didn't think she'd outright give it to me...but I'm anxious about what her conditions are.

Let's see... In exchange for the Malachite, you must give me a gem of equal value. How about...a large Ruby? I want something along the lines of that.

A Ruby... Needless to say, I don't have one in my pocket or anything. Rin notices my response, and she continues in an upbeat tone.

You can just do that? Could you do me a favor and hack in some better healing items?

I mean, they're there but they're surprisingly pricey.

I think her Servant is making fun of her. She gets a sour face after that exchange.

W-Well, at least now you know the commissary has a large Ruby. How you use that knowledge is up to you.

I feel like I'm getting the short end of this deal...but what else can I do? I better go to the commissary...

I'm sure the Ruby can't be that expens-

-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive? :stare:

The game is set to always show that if you try to buy it, even if you use cheat codes to get infinite money.

What, you want to buy it? That will be 5,000,000PPT! My, aren't we loaded...

As I have no choice... *Sigh*

The price makes my wallet scream out in agony, but I really need a Vorpal Blade. As I stared at the price with disgust, the store clerk said something out of the blue.

~

There's no way I can afford it.

I understand your qualms. The Ruby, while exquisite, is incredibly expensive.

~~

So, why don't we make a deal? Us staff members would kill for one of the lunches made by Sakura, the school nurse. Unfortunately for us, those lunches are only for Masters, like yourself. I'd love to be able to try one, just once... Hehehe, like I'd ever get the chance.

A...lunch?! Seriously? I mean, is anything homemade worth that much? ...Not that I care. No point in delaying. I'd better go to the nurse's office and finish this.

So, to summarize: in order to get the Trigger we need a Vorpal Blade to kill Alice's monster. To get the Vorpal Blade we need a chunk of Malachite for Rani to transmute. To get the Malachite we need to trade Rin a valuable Ruby. To get the Ruby we need to get a boxed lunch from Sakura for the shop clerk. Any questions?

I have a request.

I must look more serious than I realized, because Sakura Matou stares at me silently. —Can you make me a lunch? The words are clumsy, if I do say so myself, but Sakura Matou offers a sweet smile.

Of course. The truth is, I've been practicing during the preceding rounds, hoping to hand them out. I'm afraid I'm not that good at making them yet...

I'm taken with the urge to devour the whole gorgeous multi-tiered affair on the spot. Firmly regaining self control, I give my thanks to Sakura Matou. All right, off to the commissary.

Lunch get.

I can't believe you actually got this for me. Color me impressed.

I am truly grateful for this. As for my side of the bargain? Here is the item you wanted.

Ruby get.

I think this is the only time the item get screen goes first person like this.

Was that really a fair trade? ...Like I care. Now that I have the Ruby, it's time to push on. If I give this to Rin Tohsaka, I should get some Malachite in return. In theory, anyway...

I hand Rin Tohsaka the Ruby I got at the commissary. From her dumbfounded expression, it's clear she meant the deal as a joke. She gives me the Malachite.

Malachite get.

I never thought you'd get it, but a deal's a deal. There's not very many of those, so use it carefully.

Thank goodness. Now, maybe I can get Rani to transmute this for me.

After the Malachite bursts open and dissipates, Rani opens her eyes. A sword appears in her hands.

This is the Vorpal Blade. Sadly, I could not create one that would last beyond one use. Please use it carefully. It cannot be transmuted twice.

And Vorpal Blade get!

Thank goodness. Now I have a chance against that Berserker. I'll go to the Arena after this.

Let's go get some revenge on that giant bastard. :black101:

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

As the enemy Servant writhes in anguish, his aura shrinks rapidly.

Master! The magic item that girl prepared for us was super effective! The enemy is weak! Let's finish it!

Music: Duel - Unauthorized Battle

The Vorpal Blade wasn't able to kill him outright, but it dropped his HP to a much more reasonable number, plus it reveals three actions per turn.

His damage is still rather high compared to what we've faced so far, however, even after weakening him so much.

But Caster only needs to land 10 hits to kill him.

Just one round brought him below half health!

Might as well try out our new Mermaid Robe.

For an extra 10 Master MP, heal(32); goes right back to being a full heal! And with Hakuno's current MP count, I can fire off five of them in a single fight.

The big guy doesn't last much longer.

Beyond normal attacks, his only skill is a Strength buff called Alice Eater, but he didn't get a chance to use it.

And done.

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

The twin Alices pop in after the fight.

The Servant wails as it disappears. We've repelled it!

*Giggle* Really. I wonder how.

You win the treasure hunt, lady.

'Kay, what're we gonna play next?

We gotta go think about it again. All right, bye-bye, lady.

Well, whatever the case, we can get the first cipher key now, my dear Master!

Phew! Cipher key obtained! It was so annoying this time... Can't it ever be easy for you, Master?

And with that, the first floor has been cleared out.

Music: School III

This entire situation is different in every way from what I faced with Shinji and Dan. I have no idea what to make of the whole situation. First of all, there are two Alices... Could a pair of twins act as Masters in tandem? And what exactly is that Servant of theirs? I couldn't find any information about it at all... Alice's ability as a Master is extraordinary. And I'm sure that her Servant will show up again. Until I get to the bottom of all of these mysteries, I have no chance of winning. It'd be nice if I could talk about this with someone...

Music: Down to Dawn

The classroom and the hallway outside are empty today, but this week's yellow chat is really early!

Sugar, salt, vinegar...what else could there possibly be? Celery and soup stock? Or is that war and peace? Gah! Why are there so many ingredients?!

It sounds like Caster is reading a recipe book she borrowed from the library. Maybe she realized that unrestrained creativity doesn't work in cooking and that there's a right way to do things. ...It seems that there are times when she actually forgets that we're in the middle of a war, but that's a part of what makes this place so relaxing. And by the way, the last two ingredients are soy sauce and miso.

Unfortunately, no. While my past is still a mystery to me, my knowledge of general topics is still intact. My guess is that the memories that make up one's identity and the knowledge needed to function in daily life are two separate things.

What a bizarre form of amnesia.

...Is that so? I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping to learn more about you, my dear Master.

But if you can't remember anything just yet, then I guess I will have to wait until you can! So Master, leave the past where it is and let us focus on our sure to be glorious future!

Does she really feel that way, or is she just trying to make me feel better? Either way, her smile is enough to clear away my negative thoughts. While I wish she was more imposing in battle, for an amnesiac Master like me Caster may be the perfect Servant.

Eh? It's not like I'm totally weak and powerless. It's just that there are... reasons...why I'm not at my best.

...There is absolutely nothing I can say in response. The ability to use her full power is severely hampered by my inexperience as a magus.

Let's talk about the future. So, what are you going to wish for once you win the Holy Grail?

Although it came out of the blue, her question did bring up a very good point. What will I do if I somehow manage to survive all of this? The legendary object with the power to grant any wish. Even if that's true—

I'm not sure I can make that decision.

...That's right. Without memories of my past, I don't know what kind of person I really am. Can I even be trusted with something as valuable as a wish? Or, more to the point, do I even have any hopes or dreams worthy of having come true like the other Masters? I fight because I don't want to die. I fight for the sake of survival. That's not really a wish, but rather the most basic instinct that all living creatures possess. Leo and Dan Blackmore. And Rin Tohsaka as well. All of them mysterious magi who have knowingly entered the SE.RA.PH. Unlike those who've waited for countless years for this opportunity, my will to fight is far weaker than those who I will have to face in battle.

Is that so...? Could it be you lost the ability to feel certain emotions along with your memories? Or perhaps you had no burning passions or anger in the first place? Rage, indignation, or an overwhelming passion for a cause. Even if your desire is self-serving, strong emotions of any kind normally are the basis of one wanting to wish for change. If you want my opinion, I think you're fine just the way you are. For some, just knowing that their wish could possibly be granted is enough to consume them.

I don't want that to ever happen to you, Master—

At least Caster is consistent.

Wait. Did she just say she wanted to be the one bleed me dry of my money, time and—?! —Anyway... While I don't have anything to wish for, I wonder if Caster has any wishes of her own. In exchange for her help, I can only assume that she'll want to use the Holy Grail as well.

Eh? My wishes?

Caster blinks as though pole-axed. She seems at a total loss for words. Her ears and tail also go stiff in shock. ...Judging by her response, or lack thereof, Caster must not have any wishes of her own. She is a Heroic Spirit, after all. Most, if not all, of her dreams must have already come true.

No, Master. I do have a wish; the same one I've always had. How should I put this? ...I just want someone to love. I want to be able to fully devote myself to someone.

Caster quietly confesses her wish. The sincerity in her tone is impossible to ignore. ...If there ever was a paragon to the virtues of purity and selflessness, there she stands before me. Her words are proof enough of that. It doesn't matter what rewards await the winner of the Holy Grail War, or what our contract requires her to do, she is helping me try to win this war for no other reason than she wants to.

There is only one thing I'd wish for. I just want to be the happiest and best-est wife in the world, Master!

The smile she directs at me while she says this is so earnest, so genuine, that it's unnerving. ...Although I'm sure Caster has kept a few things from me, I'm pretty sure she wasn't lying about her wish. And I'm sure that when she said she'd happily devote herself to such an inexperienced Master as myself, she truly meant it.

And with that, the scene ends.

Next time: A new game.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 13, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think I'll have to link a particular scene from the EXTELLA LP when I'm not phoneposting (after checking it for EXTRA spoilers).

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure it's more common for amnesia to affect personal memories instead of ones related to functioning like a normal human being. At least, I don't remember hearing about cases where people forgot how doors work, or whatever.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Omobono posted:

I think I'll have to link a particular scene from the EXTELLA LP when I'm not phoneposting (after checking it for EXTRA spoilers).

Considering EXTELLA barely even tries to hide True Names, you're probably going to be waiting a while unless you do some rather heavy editing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Retrograde amnesia (forgetting things in the past) is pretty rare as it is, but most people who have it don't forget skills they possessed, only memories. I don't know that that would apply to a list of ingredients, though.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXVI - Sea of memories

Breaktime's over, back to bothering everyone in school.

She's your opponent! She's a kid, but she'll kill you once she has the chance!

It's like no style I've heard of.

This really comes in handy when you want to survey the surrounding area for enemies.

~

That Master, Alice, is teleporting around inside the SE.RA.PH. It's certainly news to me that a Spiritron Hacker could be capable of such a feat. Maybe she's insanely talented... or maybe there's something else at work here. You should be careful.

Select Equip from the terminal menu to view descriptions of Mystic Codes. You can equip two Mystic Codes, so pick your best combo! Press ■ to read their descriptions.

Have you obtained your cipher keys? You'll get a bit of combat experience looking for them.

...Even if a pair of twins entered the Holy Grail War... The system does not allow allied fights in the Arena.

What if the two of them combined are actually one Master?

...Then they would not actually be two. I can't sense any vitality in that child. I can't sense any of the electrical fluctuations present in the living things in the Holy Grail War. What that ultimately means, I do not know...

It means she's a ghost, Rani, try to keep up here.

...I wonder how that'll work. A basic tenet of the war is that all fights are one on one. Even if Masters form alliances while on campus, all ties get cut once they're inside of the Arena.

If that's the case, is it possible that a Master managed to summon multiple Servants? The Alice in black and that thing; it was inferred that both of them were Alice's Servants...

Nope, not remotely possible. Every Servant has a direct connection to their Master's ID. To put it in simple terms, the system prohibits Masters from having more than one Servant. She must either be splitting herself using a spell or one of them is an Effigy...or something.

~

But I can't confirm or deny the existence of twin Masters. And she can't be the only one— I mean, you can only have one Command Seal. Maybe one of them is an Effigy or something...

That's 2F and 3F cleared out, but when I head to 1F...

Music: Stops

Oh no.

We've found you.

Music: Breach

That's right. This time there won't be some stupid grinning cat to help you out.

I can't move. I am trapped between these two little girls... I am struck dumb, my mind totally blank. The sudden sounding of an electronic chime brings me back to reality.

We're only three days in, the second floor opened up quickly this week!

The message reminds me that the days are inexorably marching to the moment of truth. Those twins, I don't know why they affect me so... I don't have time to worry about it. I'd better go to the Arena.

Do you have the will to compete against that little girl?

I will do anything to stay by his side. ANYTHING.

~

Man, it seems like you're always running around campus. Doesn't all of that running make you sick? Like, your legs turn to rubber and whatnot?

If your Servant is on the verge of death, you can use the crystal to escape the Arena. When exploring the depths of the Arena, having a return crystal is almost a requirement.

~

Rin Tohsaka was just saying how eating one of the sandwiches here brought back memories. You know, I wonder where she is in the real world.

Alright, time to face the latest game.

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

What'll the Arena for this week be?

A giant fairy tale castle.

Made of solid ice.

What else could it be?

The twins are already waiting for us.

You can't tell, even in a gif, but their idle animations have a slight error in them, making them jitter for a frame when it loops. I have no idea if this is due to hardware limitations, a small mistake by the art team, or if it was intentional, but it does make them much more unnerving.

And with that, I'm already afraid.

Music: Fear

Again with the color filters! At least people are untouched this time.

Yamada and Suzuki were probably her last two opponents.

You won't be able to remember anybody's names. You'll see in a minute, lady.

Nuh-uh. It goes like this: first you forget your name and then you forget who you are and then— The end! And you won't have to be a Master anymore!

Oh christ! :magical:

Isn't it fun?!

Are you ready? Ready, set, go!

It's gonna be lame to chase after them, but they'll take down the Reality Marble once captured. We should be able to corner them in a dead end, Master! Let's teach those naughty kids a lesson!

This field has a damage effect, same as Robin's poison from last week.

And just like Robin's poison, the field can't kill you.

You can see Alice on the map as that red arrow.

Approaching them for the first time makes them teleport ahead.

*Giggle*

All of this running around is really, REALLY, getting on my nerves!

Once they reappear, they'll chase you down.

At which point Alice nails you with a field attack.

Their AI for this section is simple. If you aren't chasing them, they'll run at you and take potshots. If you're keeping up with them, they'll be too busy running down a set path to shoot back. If you manage to get too close, they'll teleport ahead.

First up is this winding path.

Unlike last week, where enemies were still around while the area was poisoned, no enemies can spawn inside this field. I guess they all forgot their names.

The winding path leads to a dead end.

But, she probably can't remember her name anymore.

You can't remember your name, can you lady?

Do I know the names of these girls? Do I know my own name? Wait, did I ever have a name to begin with?

You know, this is probably much more effective on Hakuno, considering she only has 2~ weeks worth of memories to begin with.

Hakuno fades for a moment, but quickly recovers.

M—Master! Don't tell me you don't remember my name, either!

Caster's name...? She's right, I can't remember it-

You gotta catch me, or your body will go bye-bye next!

*Giggle* Catch me if you can, lady!

They show up further back on the path.

No way am I letting them get away! Let's catch those brats, Master!

Ow.

We're getting close to the castle.

Alice's path takes us right next to it, even.

It also takes us to another dead end.

Lady, why are you being so scary? Are you mad at me...?

Why are you mad? Uh-oh, is it cuz your body's going bye-bye?

Hakuno nearly fades out entirely this time.

Noooooo! My Master's body! It can't disappear before I have a taste of it!

I'm scared! Alice, why are they so mad...?

I dunno, Alice. We were only playing.

They teleport behind us again.

Argh, they're just so effing agile! I'm going to capture them next time!

The Alices were right by a chest, so I grab that while I'm here.

Fun fact: If you can quickly double back to get your Servant between you and Alice when she fires a shot...

...they'll block the hit!

Anyways, more chasing.

Grab another chest.

Get shot out of another teleport.

And one more dead end.

...Why are you so mad? ...*Sniffle*... I just wanted to play...

It's not safe, Alice. We'd better go away.

*Sob*... I'm sorry...lady...

The twins leave the Arena.

But the field is still up.

Oh hey, I was wrong, turns out the item box will just occasionally go first person.

This has really done a number on poor Hakuno, hasn't it? :ohdear:

But, Little Miss Dropsy left behind something in the Arena. Let's investigate that tomorrow.

Next time: What's in a name?

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 1, 2022

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

As resident horny person, I want to point out out that Servant Alice is dressed in approximation of latex. Also, the gently caress?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure if to read Alice as insanely naive to the point she doesn't realize what she's doing, or genuinely malicious and enjoying every second of it. I imagine it's the former, but it feels a bit too extreme when you're fully aware you're deleting people's memories and their very selves.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

BisbyWorl posted:

I will do anything to stay by his side. ANYTHING.

Huh, someone's a fan of The Police.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I had forgotten this was a thing they did, and this is a supremely hosed up way to kill someone.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Is that Cheshire Cat line always the same, or is it a reference to the Servant? Caster might be the wrong type of animal, but she'd make a pretty good one, I think.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Materant posted:

I had forgotten this was a thing they did, and this is a supremely hosed up way to kill someone.

hosed up? Maybe. But it's probably the nicest way to eliminate an opponent.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

NHO posted:

As resident horny person, I want to point out out that Servant Alice is dressed in approximation of latex. Also, the gently caress?

It's not latex, it's porcelain doll limbs. You can see the ball joints at the elbow and the wrist, on both of them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

NHO posted:

Tarezax posted:

It's not latex, it's porcelain doll limbs. You can see the ball joints at the elbow and the wrist, on both of them.

I don't think it's either, just psp era limitations.
Alice and Alice are (almost) straight up palette swapped versions of each other; Alice is wearing the same dress as Alice, from the same material, just black.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

It's shiny. It's no cloth, in this version at least.
Yeah, it's same model with different textures, but those textures on Black Alice look intended to be gloss and shiny, hence latex conjecture.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

NHO posted:

It's shiny. It's no cloth, in this version at least.
Yeah, it's same model with different textures, but those textures on Black Alice look intended to be gloss and shiny, hence latex conjecture.

Or Plastic (like a doll's dress), there are seam lines up the side of the dress.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Or silk, which can also be shiny.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Looking at the official artwork, it's definitely just some kind of black fabric.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I was looking at the limbs and didn't even process the dress texture, lol.

Technically spoilers? FWIW her FGO incarnation is clearly just wearing some sort of black fabric

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

Noooooo! My Master's body! It can't disappear before I have a taste of it!

So, I believe I needed to link something from Extella. From Sylphid's LP, update 19 on the archive.
(Obviously, look for it at your own risk, hic sunt spoiler dracones)

Brief context, it's a little side vignette; Caster has snuck into Hime's bed futon at night and is getting frisky.

quote:

We can all agree there's only right answer here. Sylphid took it.

Should I really say this? It's kind of a cliche, but I can't think of anything else right now. Well, all right. I'll go for it. She won't be able to tell if I'm asleep or not, but she might get the message and ease off. Okay, then... "Uhhh... Can't take it anymore..." Hmm, that delivery could have been better...

Casko's immediate reaction:

yes, the empty dialogue box is intended and not a glitch

...Well, well... I may have been bad sneaking into bed with you, but your acting was worse, darling... And come on, trying to outfox me? That's a duel you don't want. And since we're both being animals, we need no words, do we?
As she presses against me, I can feel her body go through sinister waves. Is this some kind of metamorphosis? The beautiful fox maiden is turning into an angry ghost girl with a grudge. Or something along those lines.
Nature is red in tooth and claw. You're all out of luck tonight... Now you're in for a nightmare. Let's see how much you can REALLY take!

I don't think this can give more information on who Caster is (I had to photoshop her name away).

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 3, 2021

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Fox miko is horny.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXVII - For your forgetful self

Here's hoping the note holds a clue, I'm not looking forward to another trip into the Amnesia Zone™.

Unfolding the memo, I read the four words written there— [What is your name?] That is the only thing written.

"What is your name?" Oh yeah, my name is...oopsy! I almost let my name slip out! Hey... So that's what they're after?!

What's the point of the question? But to ask my name in a Reality Marble that induced amnesia— Could this be a way to defeat the barrier? If so, how do you keep your memories once inside? ...I really should try to answer the question while in the Marble, but how will I recall my name? Maybe I should ask someone's advice about this...

It's inevitable, even if I wish it weren't. When the time comes, I won't go easy on you, okay?

I couldn't have said it better.

Hahaha, thanks. Great minds think alike. We're bros...! Er, no, more like enemies of a like mind.

~

Go easy on me.

Do you know what you're asking? In asking for kindness, you're being cruel. Aaagh... That makes me want to spare you the pain even more...

Well, it's more like I'm absorbing data that I can hopefully unravel and make sense of someday.

Going to start a collection? There could be Red Alice, Pink Alice...

That kiddy Servant used a magic that high-powered? I'll have to be careful of that...

~

There seem to be cyber ghosts in the virtual space here. But this is a virtual world, so it isn't like anything was even alive in the first place.

~

I injured my enemy in the Arena. My next enemy might be you... *snicker*

Once disaster strikes, it will be too late.

I can't identify who is responsible, but this action is...troubling...

Let me think...

That puts Rani deep into thought. I feel bad, seeing how serious her face looks.

Is it all right if I carve a seal into your body? Don't worry. The pain is momentary. It's not enough to break your soul so don't worry.

:stare:

...Carve? ...Break my soul? That's where I politely decline...

Alright, Rani was... a bust, but what about Rin?

I explain the situation to Rin Tohsaka, who responds in an irritated tone tinged with worry.

So, you want a way to recall your name in a Reality Marble designed to eradicate memories, right? Hold up a sec... Did you say Reality Marble? That little brat's Servant actually created one?! To be able to affect the entire Arena for such a long period of time... Definitely suspicious. She isn't a Heroic Spirit, but some kind of malicious hack... I wonder how long she'll last...

...Th-That's nice and all, but does she actually know of a way to get rid of the Reality Marble?!

Can it really be that simple?

...On my hand? ...I see. What a blatantly, painfully obvious suggestion. Even if I forget what the word means, if I can remember to read it out loud, I'll be fine...maybe.

No maybes about it. Sometimes the best solution is the simplest one. Leaving a memo is required to make a barrier. It seems the law of the playground applies here.

To not think of such a simple solution... Yeah, I feel like a total idiot right now... Regardless of my embarrassment, I make an effort to thank her for her help.

Wh-Why in the hell are you thanking me for something so trivial, you idiot?

And as expected, a vituperative response. I know we may have to kill each other, but still, I wish we could get along better. ...Whatever the case, I'd better write my name on my hand before I forget...literally.

Things that have survived Hakuno's amnesia: knowledge of the Holy Grail, a handful of recipes, and the meaning of the word 'vituperative.'

(It means bitter and abusive. :ssh:)

Taiga has shown up again.

Good job, soldier! I shall keep this contraband under tight security. Oh, by the way... Your wonderful teacher has another favor to ask. Care to listen?

Of course.

Yay! You're my hero. Anyway, there is talk of an ice flow on the second floor of the Arena. So... If you could grab some chunks of ice from it, I'd really appreciate it. Why do I need ice? Well, let's just say it's for something that only an adult would understand. If you get some ice for me within the third round, I'll give you one of my prized possessions!

There's a short scene out by the fountain.

Why'd they get so mad? Maybe 'cause they were scared of going away for good.

But they just had to remember their name!

Uh-huh. But maybe no one can.

And then they leave.

And, of course, the proud gladiolus is oft associated with "forgetfulness." Is there something in your past you'd like to forget? Or is every memory precious to you?

The code cast attached to it can restore your Servant's HP. I would recomend using this if the effects of Ether Fragment aren't cutting it anymore.

Do you think that maybe she's some kind of witch or something?

~

I ran into my opponent while in the Arena and pushed him around until he ran away. There are no more enemies in my world, just obstructions. Just vermin to be killed...Hehehe...

Alright, here's hoping this works.

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

Whoever, or whatever, Alice's Servant is, they have enough juice to keep this running for a full day.

Francis...Xavier!

Franci...Xavi...?! —Wait, calm down. Don't panic. I'm not sure what these words mean, but I know it's dead wrong. This other name below Francis seems okay to read out loud though.

I love Hakuno deciding to troll her future-double-amnesiac self by writing a fake name. :allears:

And before you ask: no,
actually naming yourself Francis Xavier doesn't change the scene at all.

~

Hakuno Kishinami.

Hakuno Kishinami! The words that come out of my mouth mean nothing to me. But the atmosphere, so hostile before, instantly loses any sense of foreboding.

The twins pop in.

Are you sure? Is it gonna be okay broken?

It'll be okay, Alice. We gotta wait for now, but we can have lots more fun later!

Goodbye, lady.

And then they leave.

All we get from Level 2 is a single keyword.

Nameless Forest posted:

"Ackroyd and Celluloid,
Sadistic acrostic,
No one is especially special here,
Birds are birds and people are people,
Entropy suits me to a tittle,
In the end, your name is mine."

...the hell? :stare:

I tried googling around to see if this was from something related to Alice in Wonderland, but all the results I could find lead back to Extra-related sites. So, uh, don't do that.

Thanks to all that running around yesterday, a good chunk of the floor is already mapped out.

But now, enemies are spawning like normal.

The yellow bees are known as Earthcalls.

This dead end has a chest.

I gain a level off an Earthcall while retracing my steps.

Weather Drives are also here.

Right next to it is Taiga's ice.

Now that the color filter is gone, I can get a better look at the castle.

And a different angle.

This far corner has a chest.

While this path leads to a switch right across from where we caught Alice last time.

The switch opens a gate further ahead.

This week's sealife consists of jellyfish.

Holy poo poo, a second new enemy type in one week! Someone better tell the art team to slow down before they blow the entire budget!

This thin fellow is called a Monophobia.

He likes to groove.

West of the Monophobia is a chest, and we can see the exit portal across the gap.

Heading around leads to a second healing fountain.

Fairy tales are only entertaining when they're just children's stories.

We can see the entrance from here. The entire floor has just been a massive loop around the edge.

Although there's no hidden path for a shortcut like last week.

The gate we opened earlier is right next to the exit portal.

It goes up a fair bit.

At the top is an icy platform, with two Monophobias guarding the Trigger and a bit of gear.

I swap the Rusty Sword for the Imp's Belt. You never know, buff negation could be handy.

And that's our Triggers for the week! :toot:

We can get some nice shots of the castle from here.

By the way, have you noticed something in the background?

Something that we haven't seen in prior weeks?

Light.

We're close enough to the water's surface that a few rays of light can reach us.

And that's the floor cleared out.

I was a single fight off from a level, so I grab that before I leave.

Done.

I missed a spot. :bang:

Next time: Reading exercises.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 13, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I want Francis Xavier to be added to FGO

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tarezax posted:

I want Francis Xavier to be added to FGO

Can they possibly be as awesome as the Sengoku Basara Francis Xavier? I think not.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

I missed a spot. :bang:
You still have 2 days left and this game is before cheevos so I don't see the problem.

Ratoslov posted:

Can they possibly be as awesome as the Sengoku Basara Francis Xavier? I think not.
Akshually, with how the franchise would have negative scruples in simply swiping the Sengoku Basara version they could in fact be just as awesome.
:goonsay:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXVIII - Suspicious pair

Music: Duel of Fate

Thanks to Tohsaka, I dispelled the Reality Marble that Alice's Servant had put in place. ...Actually, I have something else I want to talk to Rin about, and that's Alice's strength. Considering how adept Rin is as a Spiritron Hacker, she might know more about Alice.

Abnormal? Hmm... Well, I couldn't sense any foul play from here on campus. Perhaps her Servant is skilled at building alternate worlds, but frankly, the magic needed... ...would overload the human brain and magic circuit. Still, Servants have to be fueled somehow... ...otherwise they would just be very powerful objects at rest that tend to stay at rest.

If what Tohsaka says is true, then whatever Alice is, it isn't human. I've heard that the data of dead people in the SE.RA.PH manifest like ghosts on occasion—

Humans don't die here, so the only virtual ghosts are echoes of angry hackers, etched into electrons. Isn't it obvious? People aren't really alive here, so why would their ghosts be here?

There aren't any people in here, either living or dead. Just magi who've converted their spiritrons and hacked in from the surface, like Rin.

Even if Masters die, this isn't the place their spirits will haunt. The Moon Cell deletes the data of defeated Masters, and is thorough enough not to permit loose data. If data from any deceased person incorporates, it is immediately dismantled by the system.

Anyway, the point is this. Ghosts can't be created here. But someone who qualifies as "previously deceased" might be permitted by the Moon Cell.

A ghost... Someone who's been dead since the very beginning... That's what she's talking about.

Okay, so Alice isn't a virtual ghost like the man in white from earlier, just a normal ghost that somehow got online. That clears everything up!

All right, no more chit-chat. We're enemies, don't forget it!

What do you say about us heading to the chapel and asking those sisters if they know anything? They're smart enough to do Alterations of the Soul; they should know something about this.

Go to the chapel? Not a bad idea. The sisters who do the Alterations of the Soul might know something. I'll try to head over there later.

It's as if your libido rose up and erased your conscious mind. Yeah, that's probably how it works. The Reality Marble influences your unconscious mind.

If you're talking about Reality Marbles, you won't see that many Servants using them.

Is that girl even human?

~

If you seek knowledge, look no farther than the books around you. They know many things... The word "library" just doesn't do justice to this place. It's a veritable information bonanza!

Just select the Status option from the terminal menu to see your current stat levels. You can see your name, nickname, experience needed for the next level, and your equipment.

....Hmm. You might want to ask one of your fellow Masters about this.

My apologies, but that is outside of my expertise. I do not know...

Touko finally has something to say, after two and a half weeks of doing nothing but pointing us to Aoko for an Alteration.

When I tell her I'm not looking for an Alteration, Touko Aozaki responds with irritation. Before her mood entirely sours, I ask her about the two Alices and about ghosts.

Ghosts? Well, isn't that quaint.

Touko Aozaki becomes more animated as she turns my way and says more.

We sculpt your spiritual bodies in a way that maximizes the flow of energy from Master to Servant. I've seen those Alice girls plenty. It's not for me to say whether they're twins, but— From what I can see, the girl is what people call a "ghost.” If she is indeed a cyber ghost, she'd have no bodily limitations to her magic output. Without a brain to burn out, she would have no limits. Even if her soul started to break apart, she would continue to spew magic until it all burnt out. Still, for a ghost to utilize so much magic, she'd need excellent compatibility with her Servant. Do you know her Servant's class?

Recalling that brute, I conclude that it must be Berserker. That is what I answer.

A Berserker? Are you sure you aren't mistaken? This Servant is using a large-scale Reality Marble, right? That's not a Berserker's style. A Reality Marble is highly advanced thaumaturgy. So if you think about it, a Caster makes more sense.

A Berserker wouldn't use a Reality Marble? What does that mean? But, if that's true, then what in the world is Alice's Servant? I haven't solved the mystery of the twins, but I think I now know that Alice is...special.

We killed the beast and Alice was perfectly fine, so that alone should show that it can't be her Servant.

Hakuno really isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. :v:

Are you done asking questions? Then I'll get back to work. It may not look like it, but I'm busy. ...Hrmph. What I wouldn't give for a nice, talented underling who can make a good pot of coffee.

After that, Touko Aozaki becomes absorbed with her papers, tuning out everything around her. That's my cue to get lost. I offer a slight bow to Touko Aozaki and leave the chapel.

That immediately kicks us out into another scene.

I don't ever want anything bad to happen to us again. C'mon, Alice, let's run away!

Uh-huh, let's run away now.

I want to, too! Let's read a story, Alice.

Gee, I wonder where they could have gone to read a story?

Alice must have run away from me. It would be good for me to speak to Alice about cyber ghosts. I just need to find where she ran off to...

Anyways, I have to make a quick stop back to the Chapel to cash in those levels. Infuriatingly, it leaves me one measly point off from a new skill.

Also, thanks to my Servant, any low-rent enemies I come across turn and run when they see me.

~

Hey, I've finally gotten used to this place! I can run and fight without wanting to hurl! Now I just have to worry about my Servant wanting to drag me around everywhere...

Hey, pull out a victory, okay? It'll make things easier for me in the future.

If you ask me, I'd say Alice's Servant is a Heroic Spirit who's an extremely talented magus.

She kept mumbling to herself how she'd never had anything like it before in her life. Wow...just...wow... I never knew that there were people like her in the world.

You know, Rani's professor is kind of a dick, when you think about it. Sure, she's learning a lot about people here, but her only options are to win or die. Even if we are that person she was sent to find, her best case scenario involves either watching us die or killing us herself.

I take it you got slapped around in the Arena by that Alice girl. I hope that you'll make it far enough that we end up facing each other in the Coliseum.

Alright, let's go find the Alices at the library.

Music: Duel of Fate

Did we mistake it for the March Hare?

You're a March Hare.

That's mean!

And what are you gonna do after you catch the white rabbit?

Off with its head.

Uh-oh! Run, bunny!

Sound: Heartbeats

Where? How do you know?

Music: Breach

You're right. We'll see you later. We're looking forward to playing with you.

Sound: Stops

They're really amazing Spiritron Hackers. Shinji would be nothing in comparison. There one second and gone the next, as if the system rules didn't apply to them at all. They're like ghosts. I can't see how I—or anyone else for that matter—could defeat them. That's when I realize there's a piece of paper near my foot.

The text is just mirrored, but don't bother doing it yourself, dealing with this is up next.

...??? It's gibberish. Should I ask Touko Aozaki again? I might learn something.

Back to the chapel!

I relate what just happened in the Library and show her the code I picked up there. She frowns.

Hmm? Again with the quaint things. This is mirror writing. Anyone can read this, with the aid of a mirror. And don't ask me for one, find it yourself.

Hakuno Kishinami: Still not the brightest. :v:

A mirror... There must be a mirror somewhere. I better go find one.

Weren't you saying a little bit ago that you thought your enemy's Servant was a Berserker? Think again. A Reality Marble is a tool used by Servants with low combat ability. That's not a Berserker's style. So tell me, which came first—the Berserker or the Reality Marble?

Her words spark a realization. The Berserker didn't exist before the Reality Marble. They're one and the same. First, I'll solve the mystery of this code. There must be a mirror somewhere around campus.

Where could you find a mirror in a school?

In the bathroom!

But while the girls' room is marked, there is a second one...

It seems like a cut and dry railroading to use the correct bathroom, but if I press the issue...

Although the boys' bathroom has a mirror, I should use the girls' bathroom instead.

~

I must use the mirror in the boys' bathroom. It's NOT to satisfy my curiosity...

...it lets you use either one!

There's a mirror. I hold up the code to the mirror and try to read it. It turns out to be English. Let me see...

Yep, that's Jabberywocky, alright.

A monster that gets decapitated with the Vorpal Blade... Jabberwock? The name of the monster written on the note Alice dropped... So that means... Is that her "friend's" name, I wonder— I might be able to learn more if I head over to the library.

This makes a new marker pop up back in the library.

Read it.

Alice drops in out of nowhere to interrupt Hakuno's reading.

Alice suddenly appears behind me.

Music: Fear

—I'm going to ask Alice about this Jabberwock I just read about. Is your Servant's true name... Jabberwock?

The Jabberwock is my—

We have to go bye-bye now. We might wake up from the dream if we talk too much.

Well that's ominous!

Yep! See you later, lady!

...And, they're gone. But, I've learned that while the monster is in fact the Jabberwock, it's not their Servant. If that's true, then it's like Touko Aozaki says, and Alice's Servant is actually...

*Giggle* There's a little bit of overlap between the two of us, but I'm the better Caster by far!

Does that mean they're not twins, but that the Servant is a copy of the Master? Although I haven't quite gotten to the heart of the matter, I think I am headed in the right direction. It feels like the truth is within arm's reach...

The level 3 Matrix finally gets us an image of Black Alice, as well as a new key word and skill.

Jabberwock posted:

"Names to be uncovered and places still unknown.
Fire breathing dragons and cloud spouting giants,
and magicks that are monsters in the shadows.
Maybe, just maybe, the words of adults are lies.
The truth of all is in Professor Dodgson's mind."

Professor Dodgson is Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by his pen name, Lewis Carroll.

Territory Creation (A) posted:

"The smallest door, the maddest tea party,
The checkered board in the rainbow meadow,
the riddles of the chatty twins,
But my favorite of all can only be this one,
The invitation to the nameless forest,
where all can be forgotten!"

With this bizarre week nearing its end, all that's left is to kill a bit of time before the Elimination Battle.

Next time: Through the looking glass.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 13, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who we gonna call?

Also what class would they be?

E: I do like we get :psyduck: masters in addition to :psyduck: servants. A ghost doing an haunting through hacking is fairly :psyduck:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Omobono posted:

Who we gonna call?

Also what class would they be?

Archer or possibly Rider.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
There was a lot of talk previously about how Casters are meant to lose in Holy Grail Wars, because their skillsets aren't really for dueling 1v1.
This Caster here is probably an exception, because she breaks so many Caster rules, that she's quite a good bet if you were forced into summoning a Caster for a HGW.
Unfortunately, your brain will also probably fry before you can even access half of what she's capable of.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Eeepies posted:

There was a lot of talk previously about how Casters are meant to lose in Holy Grail Wars, because their skillsets aren't really for dueling 1v1.

Showman_Bob_laughter.mp4

Not because this statement isn't true, Casters absolutely are meant to lose a Fuyuki style HGW. In theory.
Too bad the guys writing the theory were Magi and thus idiots.

The fun thing is, they're not completely wrong. I simply can't see a standard Magus going anywhere with a Caster servant. But if, instead, you grab a master that doesn't care being shown up in spellcasting by somebody whose claim to legendary fame is being a really good spellcaster? Grab the popcorn, 'cause things gonna get good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Eeepies posted:

This Caster here is probably an exception, because she breaks so many Caster rules, that she's quite a good bet if you were forced into summoning a Caster for a HGW.
Unfortunately, your brain will also probably fry before you can even access half of what she's capable of.

It's okay, just be dead before you even get into the Holy Grail War! Then you can access all her weird mind-wiping powers with no risks whatsoever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Omobono posted:

Showman_Bob_laughter.mp4

Not because this statement isn't true, Casters absolutely are meant to lose a Fuyuki style HGW. In theory.
Too bad the guys writing the theory were Magi and thus idiots.

The fun thing is, they're not completely wrong. I simply can't see a standard Magus going anywhere with a Caster servant. But if, instead, you grab a master that doesn't care being shown up in spellcasting by somebody whose claim to legendary fame is being a really good spellcaster? Grab the popcorn, 'cause things gonna get good.

Part of the problem is that a a fair number of the truly legendary individuals who qualify for Caster can't actually be summoned for one reason or another, or else require finding something absolutely ludicrous. Casko here? Not normally summonable in a standard HGW (whether she could be after the Einzberns hosed up the grail in the 3rd war is debatable, but heavily leaning towards no). Merlin? Completely unsummonable. A certain insanely powerful Caster Servant I'm not naming did win a HGW, but required a singular relic probably harder to find than even one for Gilgamesh.

At the end of the day, there's a fairly large list of major Casters at this point due to FGO, and of the more powerful ones there's a recurring trend of them being unsummonable in a normal war either because of circumstances, because they're Lostbelt-related (and so don't exist in proper human history), or else they're something weird like a pseudo-Servant or our mysterious Alice here. There are some decent choices like Medea, but compared to other classes there's a much slimmer selection of good ones - particularly for a free-for-all deathmatch.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lord Koth posted:

Casko here? Not normally summonable in a standard HGW

I don't remember her being unsummonable in a standard HGW besides the fact she's clearly Asian (I don't think that's a spoiler) and the Fuyuki Grail bans Asian Servants because, official "the Holy Grail is a Western relic" but unofficially "no fame boosts for Servants in Fuyuki". And in most other HGW that rule is done for which leads to hilarious poo poo like Apocrypha where they have a metagame and bans like "No HGW in Greece because the mages kill each other for catalysts before the war even begins".

Otherwise yeah, the most powerful Casters tend to be normally unsummonable or have weird poo poo attached to them. The best you can hope is the likes of Circe (Medea but better), Nitocris (since Egyptian Magecraft is drugs) and Leonard Da Vinci (yes, he was also amazing at magic, it's Da Vinci of course).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gilles de Rais seemed fairly powerful as a caster. Endless armies of horrible monsters, and some massive monster summons seemed pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gilles de Rais seemed fairly powerful as a caster. Endless armies of horrible monsters, and some massive monster summons seemed pretty good.

He certainly was a problem, but the issue is all of the power came from the book he had, not himself. He's kind of an one trick pony. If you can deal with his book, he has nothing else, he's not even a real magus.