Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

It's way better for limited if walkers aren't just unkillable.

Hot take: when they removed the Planeswalker redirection rule and made "any target" a thing that should have also modified a handful of spells too.
Like Hero's Demise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"destroy any target" is like, Vindicate.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Windicate - 2WB Instant

Choose one:
- Destroy target permanent.
- Target player loses the game.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mulch (reprint)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Mulch is good as gently caress. Don't sleep on mulch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sit on my Facebook posted:

Don't sleep on mulch

Good advice, mulch is pointy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Mulch is good as gently caress. Don't sleep on mulch

With all the graveyard matters stuff, all 4 cards can be hits. Bonkers card for standard.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Mulch is a siiiiiiiick reprint.

Fond memories of casting avacyn's pilgrim into mulch in Frites and a jank rear end Chronic Flooding human reanimator combo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

No green disturb cards and no flashback cards yet. And also all the disturb cards turn into enchantments rather than spirits

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Strong Sauce posted:

Mulch (reprint)

:sickos:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Mulch (reprint)

Oh hey it's Wrenn and Seven's +1 :v:

Poor Odric, hopefully he comes back as a badass vampire that smacks Sorin around from being a mopey dope.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Oh, this is interesting.

https://twitter.com/mtg_data/status/1455203073501040640/photo/1

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Honeymoon Hearse’s activation cost is totally just “your creatures gently caress” by stealth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So mono-G beats Izzet Turns beats mono-W beats mono-G. Izzet Dragons is Izzet Turns but worse against the top decks, but beats up on the fringe decks better. After that you're getting into decks without enough data to get a good sense of things, they can be swung so heavily by one particularly strong (or particularly weak) player experimenting with it for a weekend.

Jund Treasures might be a meta-beater or just might be what the top players chose for this weekend.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Boarded Windows

Artifact

{3}

Uncommon

Creatures attacking you get -1/-0. At the beginning of each end step, if you took 4 or more damage this turn, exile Boarded Windows.

Creature - Treefolk

{2}{B}{G}

Uncommon

Each creature you control with toughness greater than its power deals combat damage equal to its toughness instead of its power.

1/4

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

love the art

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

0/10, no 2 cost

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

HootTheOwl posted:

0/10, no 2 cost

should also be a 1/1

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's way better for limited if walkers aren't just unkillable.

Also, neither Sorin nor Chandra look like the limited bombs some planeswalkers have been in the past, so them eating a removal spell isn't likely to ruin anyone's day.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Nice "flavor" text :wink:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

vegetables posted:

Honeymoon Hearse’s activation cost is totally just “your creatures gently caress” by stealth

If this hearse is rockin, don’t come a knockin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

No green disturb cards and no flashback cards yet. And also all the disturb cards turn into enchantments rather than spirits
Flashback won't be in the set. Decayed either. Also I wouldn't expect any green disturb csards: It seems Disturb is the Spirits mechanic and on innistrad spirits are pretty much U/W. Just like how Exploit appears to be the Zombie Mechanic this set.
Which is too bad but such is design.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Interesting design.
No haste, no hard-to removeness, no instant value except for your opponent, but dang is that doing a good job of splitting the difference between Regisaur and Gargaroth for just being bigger than anything else on curve. Blocks goldspan, haven, predator, gets through lolth, survives blizzard brawl from anything but a pumped mammoth in mono-G, bigger than burn down or rebuke/bolt.
Probably unplayable, but pretty cool nonetheless and easier to use than Egon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BioThermo posted:

Interesting design.
No haste, no hard-to removeness, no instant value except for your opponent, but dang is that doing a good job of splitting the difference between Regisaur and Gargaroth for just being bigger than anything else on curve. Blocks goldspan, haven, predator, gets through lolth, survives blizzard brawl from anything but a pumped mammoth in mono-G, bigger than burn down or rebuke/bolt.
Probably unplayable, but pretty cool nonetheless and easier to use than Egon.

Can't sleep on that trample. Whatever decks play 3 mana sorin probably want this for the downtick over whatever else it was cheating into play.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Can't sleep on that trample. Whatever decks play 3 mana sorin probably want this for the downtick over whatever else it was cheating into play.

I think the current best payoff they run is the guy that draws a card and drains you for each vampire you control on ETB.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I turned myself into a vampire, Thalia! I'm Vampire Odriiiiiiiiic!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
They forgot to put until end of turn on Blood vial Purveyor.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I hope it's playable, and I think it will be if there's a deck for it. A deck dropping undercosted fatties like that will probably win the game before the opponent is able to leverage the incremental advantage from cycling their excess lands away.

Having "beatstick" cards where they are reasonably answerable, but do a lot if they're not answered, is a healthy thing for the game IMO. Only costing 4 means you're not eating quite so much poo poo on tempo if your opponent has a 3-mana counterspell or whatever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sickening posted:

IDK, can't see running this guy over Westfall Regent unless Blood tokens become a significant thing. If it just said "non-creature tokens" that'd be something worth exploring.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

neaden posted:

It's the penalty for not drinking the blood immediately.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

neaden posted:

you could read it as "until it isn't attaking anymore" but that would be new

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you could read it as "until it isn't attaking anymore" but that would be new

Adanto Vanguard has that wording (As long as Adanto Vanguard is attacking, it gets +2/+0) , but "whenever" is a triggered ability and yeah leaving a duration off of this new card looks like an oversight.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why pact of the titan over memnite or ornithopter?

Few pages late, and people already covered the Fury option, but Pact of the Titan works better with the sideboard Pyromancer's Ascension as well. The way the Belcher deck is assembled, if you get the right board state set up(and it isnt uncommon for this to be the plan one would pivot towards post SB afaik), you can set up to chain Bala Ges Recoveries and Rituals with an active Ascension to make an insane amount of mana and then use one of your various spells to kill the opponent since with the mana you start rebuying that spell instead of rituals. Pact + Song Mad Treachery is hasty 4/4s, Spikefield Hazard is death by a thousand pings, the White mythic DFC is non Hasty 4/4s that don't also require the Threaten.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Adanto Vanguard has that wording (As long as Adanto Vanguard is attacking, it gets +2/+0) , but "whenever" is a triggered ability and yeah leaving a duration off of this new card looks like an oversight.

Guessing they're gonna errata that poo poo immediately

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

neaden posted:

Or they forgot "perpetually".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/ValimarMTG/status/1455548306269130762

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So you can just flip it the turn you play it, or leave it as a 1/3 for a bit to get some extra value if you prefer. I guess if you're not blocking with it you can almost always draw the card and then flip it before attacking next turn.

Seems fine, but feels like the sort of card that gets edged out of decks as they solidify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jabor posted:

So you can just flip it the turn you play it, or leave it as a 1/3 for a bit to get some extra value if you prefer. Seems fine, but might be a bit slow.

Seems mid for a mythic