Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slimy Hog posted:

So somehow it's HER fault he's an rear end in a top hat? Or is it her fault that he sucks at driving? Or is it her fault he sole her car?

She knew the guy was a reckless dangerous rear end in a top hat and didn’t consider it a dealbreaker, which I guess whatever, I’m not the boyfriend police, but she actively enabled his behavior by lending him the car, which is an rear end in a top hat thing to do and also self-sabotaging when the car is uninsured.

She’s lucky that he happened to crash the car the time he stole it rather than one of the multiple times she’d lent it to him, and that he didn’t injure anyone but his own dumb rear end, because at least now she’s entitled to report it as stolen and not liable for anyone he might have killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

deety posted:

Is it ridiculous for me (19f) to break up with my bf (27m) over a stressful Halloween party?

The fact that the boyfriend was deliberately trying to undermine this woman and ruin her night and she's too inexperienced to tell feels like a pretty good example of why this kind of age gap is hosed up. Also lol at his, "oh, wow, hon, your friends are totally gonna think [my actual thoughts]" act.

Someone needs to tell this girl she can just leave
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?s=21

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for admitting that I wish my son wasn't disabled?

quote:

I am the single mother of three children, my daughter is seventeen years old and my sons are fifteen and six.

My older son is "Lucas", and he is completely Deaf. When he was born, I was riding on a high from my daughter, who was and still is healthy as a horse. I didn't know if he would ever be independent, or learn how to take care of himself, but so far he has surpassed my expectations as a very independent boy. I sacrificed a lot for him, learning ASL and sending him to a special school and being patient through all the frustration.

We were having a conversation and I brought up how I wished Lucas wasn't disabled more than anything but people had to learn how to live with those things, which upset Lucas. He ranted at me about how much of a jerk I was and how he hated me before storming off.

I don't think I was an rear end in a top hat in this situation - I won't be one of those parents who raves about how their kids are 'so brave' just for being disabled. But for the sake of our relationship... Was I?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i thought this was appropriate for coffee chat

(free) coffee maker in my old lab broke, and within 60 minutes of someone alerting our administrative assistant, that was in place :coffeepal:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

why doesn't the legally-not-a-child i'm choosing to date just mature into a young adult woman already, god how disrespectful to me

She seems way more mature than he does, or was that the joke?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ouhei posted:

She seems way more mature than he does, or was that the joke?

if the lovely boyfriend doesn't want his romantic partners to act like teenagers then he shouldn't romantically pursue teenagers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love parents who think they have the same or less responsibility to care for their own kid's emotions as those of a complete stranger

Oh what I'm supposed to tell my kid I love him unconditionally, that his deafness is part of the shape of him that I love, that he has been brave and tenacious and inspired me to learn and better myself? That's really... Ech. I dunno. It's not really "me"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for expecting my sister to be in my wedding after I did the same for her?

quote:

My sister (27f) and I (24f) are close. However, we are very different people. She took the college route, became a curator at a major museum, and is currently working on her PhD. I went to cosmetology school and am working towards opening my own salon. I was incredibly honored to be in her wedding party two years ago as a bridesmaid. It was wonderful, but I felt that I made quite a number of sacrifices when it came to her wedding. I kept telling myself that when it was my turn, she would return the favor.

Before everything went to hell in a handbasket, my boyfriend and I got engaged. We decided to put a halt on the planning until we felt that we were in the clear. We’re scheduled to get married next summer. Unlike my sister who is a huge planner and detailed oriented, we’re very laid back. My sister had her wedding at her place of work and being that her husband was an investment banker, they had a very lavish affair. We want a backyard wedding with a BBQ. We hadn’t even gotten around to asking folks to be in our wedding parties.

My sister and her husband were over for dinner last night and the subject of my wedding was brought up and my sister asked how things were going. I said probably not up to the same speed she was, but she’s going to be right up there on the big day. She asked if that was an official ask to be in the wedding party. I told her yes and sorry I won’t be making little gifts like she did for me. She told me that was fine, but then she got quiet and looked at her husband. I asked her what’s wrong and she told me that she will have to decline my offer.

She said that honestly she was a little wedding’d out with being so heavily involved as a bridesmaid. She also said that in the next year she has a lot going on with finishing her thesis and surprise she was pregnant. She asked not to say anything and that they were planning to tell everyone at Christmas. She said she still wants to be involved, but on a smaller scale and just as a guest especially since she’ll have a new baby.

I told her she was selfish and after everything I had to put up with at her wedding, she owed me. She looked angry and told me that was a lie. She said I complained about the dresses being lavender, the dates of everything, and how I was the only person in the bridal party who couldn’t make her bachelorette party because I wanted to go to a concert instead and we needed to change it. She talked about how she was trying to be understanding and flexible but I made everything into a tantrum. I was lucky she didn’t ask me to step down cause she knew it would break me and she wanted me there beside her on her big day. I made her wedding about me. I told her to get out and they’d be lucky if I decided to invite them still.

My parents called asking what happened and I told them everything and told them to ask about the baby. Apparently, I made things even worse and my parents want to come over to talk to me.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This lady makes it seem like she is a single parent on purpose

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She knew the guy was a reckless dangerous rear end in a top hat and didn’t consider it a dealbreaker, which I guess whatever, I’m not the boyfriend police, but she actively enabled his behavior by lending him the car, which is an rear end in a top hat thing to do and also self-sabotaging when the car is uninsured.

She’s lucky that he happened to crash the car the time he stole it rather than one of the multiple times she’d lent it to him, and that he didn’t injure anyone but his own dumb rear end, because at least now she’s entitled to report it as stolen and not liable for anyone he might have killed.

True but people with abusive instincts can always find someone else more pliable. All you can do is shut them off at the source :guillotine:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:catstare: jesus christ I hope this one's bait.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for lettingmy child climb on a rock?

Do you want demon possession in your kid? Cause this is how you get demon possession in your kid.

Good news, demon possession might make you parent.

lmao once I had the exact same thing happen when I was 20. I climbed on top of one of the standing stones and some old guy came over and yelled at me. Then twenty minutes later he came back and said his wife was making him apologize.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for expecting my sister to be in my wedding after I did the same for her?

Punitive wedding invitations
"You can suffer as I did, bitch"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Reminder that in the U.S. one can have insurance that covers damage to people you hit without carrying coverage for the car or it's occupants.

Even if the car wasn't insured at all, liability insurance is the responsibility of the driver, not the owner.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for lettingmy child climb on a rock?
Hi, I'm a 34 year old woman and my 3 children are a 12 year old boy, a 9 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. My husband is a 35 year old man.

This is worse than stilted sentence structure when using abbreviations.

The formality does bias me against the OP.

Koschei
Sep 14, 2007

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Olewithmilk posted:

There's something about corporate cheapness that really winds me up, just the mix of idiot bureaucracy, general stupidity, and pig-headed refusal to actually think about what you're asking of employees.

I was told pay the company the 27 cents extra I had spent on meals during training

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

feedmegin posted:

I work in tech. The one place I worked for that stopped giving us free coffee, stopped giving us paychecks on time a few weeks later, and then stopped giving us paychecks at all.

In some places, when the higher-ups hear the death knell for the company, they want to try to cut costs as much as possible before the inevitable and tell the middle managers to do everything they can to make it as annoying to work there as possible to try to get people to quit to avoid paying severances. One strategy is to start charging/pennypinching for stuff that used to be free like coffee or, in an office I used to work in, napkins.

RoboRodent posted:

I had a job years back where the owners got us a keurig and put out a little cup to collect coffee money. No set price, just to contribute for coffee pods. This was a place that way perhaps technically a small family business but was also bringing in serious money. Like, the owners had a Filipina immigrant nanny for their kids, pretty sure through the temporary foreign workers program, until they got in trouble for never giving her a day off, so when she managed to quit, they replaced her with two new Filipina immigrants and then bought a house for them to live in so that they didn't have to have them around when they weren't working.

I only drink decaf for health reasons so I bought my own pods and never contributed to the coffee fund, but it did not escape my notice that the money in the jar would empty and it absolutely did not line up with the price of the replacement coffee that occasionally showed up. Eventually turned out that the keurig was a commercial-grade machine that was rented from a local company and my bosses just decided to stop paying the rent for it and keep the machine. They were very indignant when it got repossessed, but I'm not sure what they expected to happen.

This is in line with the time they made a big deal about a new extended health care plan they were offering, and then cancelled the coverage a few months later without telling anyone because "nobody uses it." They did not seem to understand why I was upset about the surprise $75 bill when I went in to get my monthly prescriptions and my coverage was gone.

Buckets of money, but allergic to spending any of it on anything but themselves. Would book you for fifty hours a week and then wave off your concerns with "oh we don't pay overtime here" as though that were a reasonable or legal policy to have. I would just refuse to be booked for six days a week, and it pissed them off so much.

I worked there way longer than I should have.

The coffee was only a symptom.

Yikes. I worked someplace where the boss bought us a keurig out of petty cash. He'd provide pods but we could bring our own. I bought some online from the office supply store, but our department was downsized before they arrived. Hope whoever was working there a couple weeks later enjoyed them lol.

feedmegin posted:

Do you mean hoteps in general? Because yes, it is.
The creation myth hoteps believe is obviously not true, but hoteps do unfortunately exist

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Invisible Clergy posted:

The creation myth hoteps believe is obviously not true, but hoteps do unfortunately exist

this is actually exactly backwards interestingly enough—Hoteps are not real, they’re a racist Internet meme, but Yakub really did live thousands of years ago and did create white people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this is actually exactly backwards interestingly enough—Hoteps are not real, they’re a racist Internet meme, but Yakub really did live thousands of years ago and did create white people.
I sure do see a lot of Black women on Twitter (including blue-checks, I know they exist and are Black) complaining about hoteps who want them to be the hotep's African Goddess/Queen/etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I sure do see a lot of Black women on Twitter (including blue-checks, I know they exist and are Black) complaining about hoteps who want them to be the hotep's African Goddess/Queen/etc.

yakub’s creations are very clever in how they spread their poison. Do not be fooled.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yakub’s creations are very clever in how they spread their poison. Do not be fooled.

I've seen them use tricknology to present a face that is not their own, an attempt to sway the weak-minded

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Am white, can confirm that I was genetically engineered for vitriol and surreptition.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

:hmmyes:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So I'm guessing getting a tshirt that says "Proud Son of Yakub" and walking around a major city would be a bad idea then?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

"I sacrificed a lot for him, learning ASL and sending him to a special school and being patient through all the frustration."

My gently caress?? gently caress off!!! I sacrificed so much, like learning a language to communicate with my CHILD in

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hoteps are real and really loving awful. Perhaps not under the moniker but the attitude predates even myself, and I have little, if any, patience for that type. Hotep is merely another iteration of this type of person

E: it’s like absolutely bigoted plastic paddy attitude, which ok a lot of plastic paddy’s are bigots, but imagine that even loving worse.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 2, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Johnny Truant posted:

I don't know whether to be excited or scared.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Johnny Truant posted:

(free) coffee maker in my old lab broke, and within 60 minutes of someone alerting our administrative assistant, that was in place :coffeepal:

honestly this is a good response time, I've been in offices where people just sort of shrug at you like you're insane for suggesting the coffee maker being broken is a problem

joke's on them, I responded by loving off to coffee shops for extended periods of time, lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

teen witch posted:

Hoteps are real and really loving awful. Perhaps not under the moniker but the attitude predates even myself, and I have little, if any, patience for that type. Hotep is merely another iteration of this type of person

E: it’s like absolutely bigoted plastic paddy attitude, which ok a lot of plastic paddy’s are bigots, but imagine that even loving worse.

Hotep-mocking TikTik is a hilarious place to be, though...

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7019087286449081605

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

that paper is gonna burn when someone uses the toaster oven

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^^^ lol that toaster oven just lights on fire on its own, adding a little fuel to it is probably not gonna do much.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

honestly this is a good response time, I've been in offices where people just sort of shrug at you like you're insane for suggesting the coffee maker being broken is a problem

joke's on them, I responded by loving off to coffee shops for extended periods of time, lol

our AA in my old lab was fuckin phenomenal, drat i miss her. her bribing me with baked goods multiple times a month certainly did not impress a bias upon me, nope!

the free coffee tasted like dirty socks, but it still had caffeine, so i was bout it. no free coffee at my current job :cry:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't know whether to be excited or scared.

i think it was more a joke than an actual solution, although i do believe some people popped those pills. caffeine pills are just way tweakier than like, an actual caffeinated beverage. they got my from Austin->my hometown ~5 hours faster than the initial trip, so... cool? def made me twitchy and have gentle involuntary shaking if i held my hand out flat, though, lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Johnny Truant posted:

i think it was more a joke than an actual solution, although i do believe some people popped those pills. caffeine pills are just way tweakier than like, an actual caffeinated beverage. they got my from Austin->my hometown ~5 hours faster than the initial trip, so... cool? def made me twitchy and have gentle involuntary shaking if i held my hand out flat, though, lol

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Another tale of my favourite AITA standby, the House Demander:

AITA FOR NOT GIVING MY COUSIN MY GRANDMOTHER’s HOUSE AFTER SHE PASSED

quote:

I’m a 27 year old male and my grandmother passed recently. In her will she left me her 4 bedroom 2 bath house. Now before my grandmother passed she was in danger of losing the house because of unpaid taxes. She asked various family members for help but none did. I was in college at the time and I had a huge student refund.

She asked me for $1,500 to settle the debt. She said thank you and we never talked about it again. I didn’t want my granny to be homeless after all. That was about 8 years ago. Fast forward to today and I’m now the owner of a house in the heart of Atlanta. Prime real estate If I do say so myself. I plan on moving in at the end of the month before doing some light cleaning and renovation. Enter my cousin and her kids.

She is upset with me because I got the house. She said because I don’t have any kids I should give her the house because I’m her eyes I got the house for free. I thought she was crazy but a lot of our family is on her side. Stating that it’s hard out here for a single mother. They told me I can buy a house one day because I am a able bodied young man. It will be harder for her because she has two kids. I’m like she chose to have those kids and that isn’t my problem. Everyone is calling me selfish and hell maybe I am but my grandmother wanted me to have the house. I’m I the rear end in a top hat

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

New Coke posted:

Another tale of my favourite AITA standby, the House Demander:

AITA FOR NOT GIVING MY COUSIN MY GRANDMOTHER’s HOUSE AFTER SHE PASSED

I mean, living alone in a 4/2 is a lot for a single person. Letting the cousin and her kids stay there for an extremely discounted rent seems like a reasonable option, as it would be a major help to them (especially if the house is in a good school district).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, living alone in a 4/2 is a lot for a single person. Letting the cousin and her kids stay there for an extremely discounted rent seems like a reasonable option, as it would be a major help to them (especially if the house is in a good school district).

On the other hand, since they are demanding the house for free for themselves, there is no way they'd go for that and would likely be a loving nightmare to live with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

alternately, they could offer the same deal to literally any random person on the street who doesn't have a proven track record of demanding entire houses from people and siccing their goons on them when they don't cough up

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Redditor posted:

NTA. If they want your cousin to live in a house so bad they can let her and her kids move in with them. Your grandmother left the house to you. If your family keeps harassing you just tell them that you’re respecting your grandmother’s last wishes and leave it at that. I’d recommend that you change the locks on the house ASAP just in case any of them have a spare key to it.

House OP posted:

She already does live in the house with them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like this house is in a gentrifying neighborhood so best option is just to sell it and not have to deal with family demanding financial aid

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ouch. Yea, decision completely reversed there. If they're living in the home and still demanding to own it, that's a situation that's only going to get more toxic with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020