Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

On a slightly different subject,

did anyone here with the fuma 2 notice the slim fan not mounting properly? Mine seems to be really slack, like the bracket is too big for it

Make sure you're using the slim clips; I believe it comes with two pairs of regular-depth clips (if you don't have RAM clearance issues with your particular motherboard, you can get and mount a second standard depth fan) and one pair of slim-depth clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

So far single core tests arent pushing it above 60C and thats even with a very silent fan profile set (CPU fan currently at 748 rpm)

The performance, not the temps. With Zen2, AMD CPUs lose performance when undervolted despite showing identical/better clockspeeds.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Scythe posted:

Make sure you're using the slim clips; I believe it comes with two pairs of regular-depth clips (if you don't have RAM clearance issues with your particular motherboard, you can get and mount a second standard depth fan) and one pair of slim-depth clips.

Yeah its using the slim clips. i compared them to the normal clips that are being used by the 2nd fan.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ok so after some minor tweaks to fan curve and chucking in 2 intake fans at the bottom I managed to get idle temps with no undervolt to 38C

and underload all core 100% doesnt go above 68C.

Success!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also whoops.

The way I had routed the bottom two fans meant the back panel didn't close properly. Which meant the front panel wouldn't close and when I popped the front panel in place it pushed the back panel off and pushing the back panel in again popped the front panel off

But rerouted the bottom fan cables through the front panel void and along the top and now everything closes successfully

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Meshilicious is on sale for a good price.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15368044-ssupd-meshlicious-mini-itx-case-mesh-side-panel-with-pcie-3-0-riser-cable-black-86-39?src=tdw

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's crazy how much competition there is in the SFF PC space nowadays. What would you guys prefer:

Meshilicious for $100-160
NZXT H1 w/ SFX PSU and AIO Cooler for $200 (https://nzxt.com/product/h1?sscid=b1k5_1t4by)
Hyte Revolt 3 for $130 (https://hyte.com/revolt-3/)

I'm leaning toward the NZXT H1, but I already have a Corsair SF600 Platinum that I can use.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Meshlicious for sure.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Canna Happy posted:

Meshlicious for sure.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gay Retard posted:

It's crazy how much competition there is in the SFF PC space nowadays. What would you guys prefer:

NZXT H1 w/ SFX PSU and AIO Cooler for $200 (https://nzxt.com/product/h1?sscid=b1k5_1t4by)

I'm leaning toward the NZXT H1, but I already have a Corsair SF600 Platinum that I can use.

Meshilicious, but I wouldn't call you wrong for going the Revolt route.

NZXT H1 I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole; yeah, they've supposedly resolved their fire hazard issues, but the complete clusterfuck of how they handled it has completely torched any trust I might've had in the company.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm a sucker for the Revolt's headphone hanger, as someone who is currently using a surplus desk with a hanger that he turned into a bootleg L desk to hang his headset. I've long since stopped doing LAN parties, but the carrying handle would be fun for those if you're into old school poo poo.

I'd probably go for it and remove the handle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gay Retard posted:

I'm leaning toward the NZXT H1

hope you like supporting a company that makes things catch on fire and then tries to cover it up

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hope you like supporting a company that makes things catch on fire and then tries to cover it up

Wow - that's a real shame. I definitely prefer the form factor and overall finish of the NZXT, but the whole recall situation is probably why you can find them for under $200 nowadays :doh:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely the Meshlicious. You can fit a 280mm AIO in there.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

As a Meshlicious owner with a 280mm AIO installed I've actually been a bit disappointed with the end result

But at the same time the CPU's a 5900x and my room's ambient temp already hovers around 29C anyway :supaburn:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 2, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
have you tried not living in a furnace

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually switched to air cooling in the Meshlicious. The Scythe Big Shuriken 3 works pretty well on a 5600x and just barely fits in there.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

have you tried not living in a furnace

Sorry, I live in the desert with an old who thinks the thermostat being set any lower than 81-82F is a mortal sin :sigh:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Cross-Section posted:

Sorry, I live in the desert with an old who thinks the thermostat being set any lower than 81-82F is a mortal sin :sigh:

Make them live in the room with your PC, running Cinebench 24/7 with extra quiet fan curve

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cross-Section posted:

As a Meshlicious owner with a 280mm AIO installed I've actually been a bit disappointed with the end result

But at the same time the CPU's a 5900x and my room's ambient temp already hovers around 29C anyway :supaburn:

Zen3 is a different animal than pretty much every other desktop CPU (i guess until tomorrow!). With a 280 AIO, you will still see pretty high peak temps, especially if you have PBO/Auto OC on. I def do with a 5950X. It really doesn't matter how much radiator or pumpspeed you throw at it, youll still see like 80c+ peaks with PBO and 70c+ stock. The thermal density on the compute dies, plus the inefficiencies of heat transfer from silicon -> indium solder -> gold foil -> nickle plated copper heatspreader -> thermal paste -> nickle plated copper cold plate -> water limit the abilities to pull heat away fast enough. A lot of the time it can be more informative to look at the coolant temps to get an idea of whether things are working ok.

If they are higher than that, you may want to look to make sure you got good thermal paste coverage, a good waterblock mount, and that the motherboard isnt secretly upping the voltage with an auto OC setting when you turn XMP on. Zen 3 is a hungry wee bastard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cross-Section posted:

do you guys look like McPoyles when you emerge from your sauna for food and to run errands, etc?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cygni posted:

Zen3 is a different animal than pretty much every other desktop CPU (i guess until tomorrow!). With a 280 AIO, you will still see pretty high peak temps, especially if you have PBO/Auto OC on. I def do with a 5950X. It really doesn't matter how much radiator or pumpspeed you throw at it, youll still see like 80c+ peaks with PBO and 70c+ stock. The thermal density on the compute dies, plus the inefficiencies of heat transfer from silicon -> indium solder -> gold foil -> nickle plated copper heatspreader -> thermal paste -> nickle plated copper cold plate -> water limit the abilities to pull heat away fast enough. A lot of the time it can be more informative to look at the coolant temps to get an idea of whether things are working ok.

If they are higher than that, you may want to look to make sure you got good thermal paste coverage, a good waterblock mount, and that the motherboard isnt secretly upping the voltage with an auto OC setting when you turn XMP on. Zen 3 is a hungry wee bastard.

I've actually managed to find a decent heat/noise compromise by power limiting both my CPU and 3080 Ti GPU (undervolting improved performance but didn't seem to cut temps by nearly as much as I thought it would). Still get 90-100+ FPS in modern games at 3840x1600 and my room doesn't feel like the inside of a jet turbine. :)

Ok Comboomer posted:

do you guys look like McPoyles when you emerge from your sauna for food and to run errands, etc?

i take offense with this comment

for one, it is a dry heat, not a wet hea

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

for one, it is a dry heat, not a wet hea

properly operating saunas are dry heat, not wet heat

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

properly operating saunas are dry heat, not wet heat

lmao I've never actually been inside an actual sauna

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Undervolting a 3080 Ti is something I've found to be somewhat tricky to find the sweet spot for. I think the best clock speed to target is somewhere around 1900 MHz. This gives pretty close to stock performance, maybe slightly worse, but you can drop voltages by a lot at that clock speed (I'm doing 830-something mV iirc, not at my pc to verify). I would try to dial in an undervolt at around 1850 to 1900 MHz before going further with power limiting, as that is essentially a much less power-efficient form of underclocking.

The 3080 Ti is really quite inefficient above 1900MHz. You can reach up to 2100MHz without much issue (that's the default max boost clock for a lot of OC cards, including the FTW3 Ultra, though you rarely reach it at the stock config), but it does not seem to give a proportional increase in performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Undervolting a 3080 Ti is something I've found to be somewhat tricky to find the sweet spot for. I think the best clock speed to target is somewhere around 1900 MHz. This gives pretty close to stock performance, maybe slightly worse, but you can drop voltages by a lot at that clock speed (I'm doing 830-something mV iirc, not at my pc to verify). I would try to dial in an undervolt at around 1850 to 1900 MHz before going further with power limiting, as that is essentially a much less power-efficient form of underclocking.

The 3080 Ti is really quite inefficient above 1900MHz. You can reach up to 2100MHz without much issue (that's the default max boost clock for a lot of OC cards, including the FTW3 Ultra, though you rarely reach it at the stock config), but it does not seem to give a proportional increase in performance.

I just tried a 850mv at 1850 undervolt and I was still hitting a loud 79-80C in Outer Worlds where my 75% power limit had it basically lock at a much quieter 70-73C. About 15 to 20 less FPS admittedly, but at 100+ that doesn't really mean much in non-multi games.

Quite a bit of coil whine too, though I'm not sure if it was coming from the PSU or the card itself.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I just tried a 850mv at 1850 undervolt and I was still hitting a loud 79-80C in Outer Worlds where my 75% power limit had it basically lock at a much quieter 70-73C. About 15 to 20 less FPS admittedly, but at 100+ that doesn't really mean much in non-multi games.

Quite a bit of coil whine too, though I'm not sure if it was coming from the PSU or the card itself.

Try combining the two. Do an undervolt and then a power limit. Or alternatively, undervolt and limit your fps in the nvidia control panel. When you power limit, you're reducing current at a given voltage, so you should make sure you're doing so at the most efficient voltages you can. That should help with coil whine too if it's coming from the card.

I also suspect you could get a lower voltage at that clock, but I get it if you don't want to spend ages messing with that.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Cygni posted:

Not only does it spike like that, but a lot of monitoring software uses a different sensor reading (edit: or polling interval, etc.) than ryzen master for whatever reason, and that reading might be anywhere from 0 to 15 degrees higher. Kinda freaked me out when I installed NXZT CAM at first.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

lmao I've never actually been inside an actual sauna

you’re missing out

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Try combining the two. Do an undervolt and then a power limit. Or alternatively, undervolt and limit your fps in the nvidia control panel. When you power limit, you're reducing current at a given voltage, so you should make sure you're doing so at the most efficient voltages you can. That should help with coil whine too if it's coming from the card.

I also suspect you could get a lower voltage at that clock, but I get it if you don't want to spend ages messing with that.

Trying the same undervolt at 80% power gets me.... about 5-10 FPS higher in-game? It's honestly a bit hard to tell, but it's definitely quieter now. Hotter too, but that's the slightly-higher power cap at work.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pulling the trigger on this parts list next week or so.

Any red flags or something you think I am missing? This is going to be a HTPC for my bedroom.

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H510I PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($76.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Amazon)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gay Retard posted:

Another reason to choose the Mechilicious is that you can get these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1053061087/sffpc-case-human-feet-mod-3d-printed

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on this parts list next week or so.

Any red flags or something you think I am missing? This is going to be a HTPC for my bedroom.

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H510I PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($76.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Amazon)

The red flag is building a HTPC rather than just getting something like a Shield. I shouldn't talk tough because I'm still using a HTPC on one TV.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Warmachine posted:

It's not SFF, but I feel noiseless passive cooling designs are the other half of the SFF madness coin. Because lets face it, when we're building custom high performance SFF PCs, what we're really trying to do is cheat engineering and minimize compromises while maintaining (or improving) performance. Also Ali is basically the patron saint of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJlXnRt9cA

Their ITX model, "The First" looks really cool. I'd take a hard look at it if it didn't look like you had to void your graphics card warranty by removing the pre-installed heat sink/fans. Is there any place you can get "bare-bones fan-less graphics card," or refurbished or pre-used graphics cards that haven't been ruined by mining crypto?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Their ITX model, "The First" looks really cool. I'd take a hard look at it if it didn't look like you had to void your graphics card warranty by removing the pre-installed heat sink/fans. Is there any place you can get "bare-bones fan-less graphics card," or refurbished or pre-used graphics cards that haven't been ruined by mining crypto?

I'm pretty sure removing the fans and heatsink does not void your warranty.

Edit. Appears that as of now only the US has made warranty stickers illegal unfortunately (or fortunately if you live in the US I guess)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I really don't get what the point of chasing something totally passive and silent is given the many compromises you need. My aircooled nr200 and 3080 build is very quiet under load and with headphones on, inaudible.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Butterfly Valley posted:

I really don't get what the point of chasing something totally passive and silent is given the many compromises you need. My aircooled nr200 and 3080 build is very quiet under load and with headphones on, inaudible.

For the same reason you felt the need to put a 3080 in an sff case: it's cool.

Also different people have different sensitivity to noise, different use cases (maybe audio production) etc.

Of course a $700 case where you have to shim your bare die GPU into a cyberpunk assembly is a very niche product and not for most people.

But I kinda want one for no reason at all.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah with the scythe and a couple of NFA12s I literally cant hear my system when it's on

To the point when the fan curve goes up slightly it annoys me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

For the same reason you felt the need to put a 3080 in an sff case: it's cool.

I can buy the 'for the sake of it' argument but it doesn't compare to my situation at all.

With the nr200 there's not really any compromises to fit an FE 3080, certainly nothing like whats needed to make an entirely passive system, and the main reason I did it was size as I live in a small apartment and didn't want an unnecessarily huge case taking up room.

I imagine anyone worried about audio production to the point of needing absolute silence would have professional equipment for that or just move the PC into a different room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Butterfly Valley posted:

I can buy the 'for the sake of it' argument but it doesn't compare to my situation at all.

With the nr200 there's not really any compromises to fit an FE 3080, certainly nothing like whats needed to make an entirely passive system, and the main reason I did it was size as I live in a small apartment and didn't want an unnecessarily huge case taking up room.

I imagine anyone worried about audio production to the point of needing absolute silence would have professional equipment for that or just move the PC into a different room.

There's always compromises. For example, audible under load without headphones is a compromise.

I was able to get an air cooled nr200 to be inaudible under load even without headphones, but it meant restricting the 3080 to about 260w via an undervolt. That's a also a compromise.

I bet with a pair of 140mm fans at 500-600 rpm on the beast you could push 300w+ through the card and not hear it from like 6 inches away. Is that worth what the case costs? Eh, probably not for most people. It's a very niche product. But it's cool.