Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Inbreeding is a frequent result of intentional breeding schemes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Inbreeding is a frequent result of intentional breeding schemes

Sure but it seems the BG are better at it than 18th century Europeans

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Not exactly inbred with the implications that word has

Bred quite intentionally

yeah that's more accurate.

i bet there are a lot of hosed up noble children, "failed experiements" that stay locked up in towers where no one can see them.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Not exactly inbred with the implications that word has

Bred quite intentionally

PLANNED BENE GESSERIT BREEDING PROGRAM

Vladamir Harkonnen + Gaius Helen Mohiam
I I
I I
I Lady Jessica + Leto Atreides
I I
I I
(nephew) Feyd-Rautha + "Paula" Atreides
I
I
Kwisatz Haderach

That's some quite intentional inbreeding.

e: SA posting messed up my well diagramed family tree

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

European aristocrats: We've done it. We've created the Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Phlegmish posted:

Kwisatz Haderach:

Kinda close to how I picture Fenring actually

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dune with wigs is actually a great idea tbh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

old great houses like habsburg and osman may have lost their empires but the families are still around and could be united to produce some kind of messianic figure through a religiously motivated breeding scheme in whatever kind of world emerges after the next societal collapse due to severe water shortages and intolerable climate

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That would imply those real world houses have any sort of real genetic justification for their lineage beyond a delusional and obsessive need to hold on to temporal power that most of them no longer have

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The earth is ruined! Someone get an inbred european aristocrat in here, they'll know what to do

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

It was one guy complaining about Jessica's emotions and he thought the chinese jedi in rogue one was better, soooo... you really don't have to respond.

One guy recently but there have bwen several in the pages since the movie was widely available bud

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ror posted:

haha, yeah, he was what came to mind when imagining Bene Gesserit cakes that fail to rise in the oven.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Phlegmish posted:

Kwisatz Haderach:

for he IS the kwisatz haderach! *music crescendo*

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Automatic Slim posted:

I I
I I
I Lady Jessica + Leto Atreides
I I
I I
(nephew) Feyd-Rautha + "Paula" Atreides
I
I
Kwisatz Haderach

I never realized Gaius Helen Mohiam was Jessica's mother. Is this some failson's work?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skasion posted:

He sees that if he doesn’t cause the jihad, he will eventually meet the Baron and acknowledge him as grandfather. This is suggested to be a motivating factor for him to go through with finding and joining the Fremen, even though he’s already seeing this is going to cause the jihad, and even though he feels like he’d be playing into the Bene Gesserit’s hands by causing it.

He doesn’t tell anyone that though. I think Jessica only finds out when she does the spice agony?

Nope! It's right there, then, in the tent.

"There's a way to evade the Harkonnens," she said.

"The Harkonnens!" he sneered. “Put those twisted humans out of your mind.” He stared at his mother, studying the lines of her face in the light of the glowtab. The lines betrayed her.

She said: "You shouldn't refer to people as humans without—”

"Don't be so sure you know where to draw the line," he said. “We carry our past with us. And, mother mine, there's a thing you don't know and should—we are Harkonnens."

Her mind did a terrifying thing: it blanked out as though it needed to shut off all sensation. But Paul's voice went on at that implacable pace, dragging her with it.

"When next you find a mirror, study your face—study mine now. The traces are there if you don't blind yourself. Look at my hands, the set of my bones. And if none of this convinces you, then take my word for it. I've walked the future, I've looked at a record, I've seen a place, I have all the data. We're Harkonnens."

"A . . . renegade branch of the family," she said. “That's it, isn't it? Some Harkonnen cousin who—”

"You're the Baron's own daughter," he said, and watched the way she pressed her hands to her mouth. “The Baron sampled many pleasures in his youth, and once permitted himself to be seduced. But it was for the genetic purposes of the Bene Gesserit, by one of you."

The way he said 'you' struck her like a slap. But it set her mind to working and she could not deny his words. So many blank ends of meaning in her past reached out now and linked. The daughter the Bene Gesserit wanted—it wasn't to end the old Atreides-Harkonnen feud, but to fix some genetic factor in their lines. What? She groped for an answer.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I never realized Gaius Helen Mohiam was Jessica's mother. Is this some failson's work?

It is indeed. Put those twisted words out of your mind.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dune Encyclopedia is the original source for the Mohiam retcon iirc

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Powerful star wars EU energy in that retcon. Basically three bene gesserit in the entire universe

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 2, 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skasion posted:

Dune Encyclopedia is the original source for the Mohiam retcon iirc

Still fanfiction, still not canon. :colbert:

Failson said he found it in his father's notes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Do not speak life into the failson's words. They are Abomination.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Anyone else thinking about dune??

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Buller posted:

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 2, 2021

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

code:
                                             I                              I
                                             I                              I 
                                             I                 Lady Jessica + Leto Atreides
                                             I                                 I
                                             I                                 I
                                    (nephew) Feyd-Rautha   +  "Paula" Atreides
                                                                        I
                                                                        I
                                                        Kwisatz Haderach

ftfy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Buller posted:

I'm thinking about going to see it again, tonight, this time in imax

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Buller posted:

I;m thinking about thos dunes

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this fremen eatin spice!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

Jessica is pulled along by the plot and doesnt have toooo much agency but thats true for pretty much every other character as well? theyre all swept up by by politics that are way larger than them.
Very little fiction is actually good at depicting characters with agency, even after you've filtered everything that falls short of Sturgeon's Law

Automatic Slim posted:

There's bbcode for preserving spacing between words.

Fuschia tude posted:

The introduction to the Encyclopedia, written by Frank Herbert, says it's canon - except that he reserves the right to override specific parts with future books.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 2, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Very little fiction is actually good at depicting characters with agency, even after you've filtered everything that falls short of Sturgeon's Law

The introduction to the Encyclopedia, written by Frank Herbert, says it's canon - except that he reserves the right to override specific parts with future books.

And if an Atreides can remember the life of the Baron then he is a direct ancestor.

Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ror posted:

Emperor Shaddam: we have the Kwisatz Haderach at home

genuinely on the verge of hyperventilating for many contrary reasons ranging from "oh my god seriously aaaah" to "holy mother of pussy do I not want John Difool Funkopops"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fuschia tude posted:

Failson said he found it in his father's notes

Alia couldn't have been possessed by Baron Harkonnen if he weren't a direct ancestor. Not too many other possibilities for where he fits into her line of ancestry.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Phanatic posted:

Alia couldn't have been possessed by Baron Harkonnen if he weren't a direct ancestor. Not too many other possibilities for where he fits into her line of ancestry.

I think the debate was over the validity of Mohaim being Jessica's mother rather than Vlad being Jessica's (confirmed) father.

At least that was my earlier confusion.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Leto II was possessed by Harum, a dominant ego-memory that ruled over a council of personalities.
Harum was described as having his line lost due to congenital weaknesses, which suggests his direct genes couldn't have been passed down.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 2, 2021

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Leto II was possessed by Harum, a dominant ego-memory that ruled over a council of personalities.
Harum was described as having his line lost due to congenital weaknesses, which suggests his direct genes couldn't have been passed down.

A king's line fizzling out isn't incompatible with him having a lot of descendants!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could have been related through a bastard

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The most important canonical fact in the Dune Encyclopedia is that Fremen men are trained to orgasm without releasing fluids and that you aren’t considered a “real man” until you can do this

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

The most important canonical fact in the Dune Encyclopedia is that Fremen men are trained to orgasm without releasing fluids and that you aren’t considered a “real man” until you can do this

it's why they are so powerful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

gently caress without rhythm and you won't expend the sperm.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

skasion posted:

just realized that every fremen man is dry jacking in all ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

Kwisatz Haderach: