Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Powershift posted:

The average car loan is over $600/month in the US now.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38116630/car-buyers-spending-auto-loans/

while looking at cheap shitboxen, i found this.

84 months = 7 years = 182 bi-weekly payments of $688.32 for a total cost of $125,254.22

You can only option one up to $97k which is batshit insane itself.

Texans dot png.

I know people who do this repeatedly because they think a couple months of working 70 hours a week means they've 'made it' and wait what do you mean I'm only working 40 now i just bought a four wheeler, trailer and F-350 to tow it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Texans dot png.

I know people who do this repeatedly because they think a couple months of working 70 hours a week means they've 'made it' and wait what do you mean I'm only working 40 now i just bought a four wheeler, trailer and F-350 to tow it all

Oil field workers are real bad about this. They think it’s never going to end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

skipdogg posted:

There needs to be some sort of disclosure or limit on how much the dealer can markup the buy rate on the loan.

Dealers make a ton of profit on new vehicle sales marking the interest rate up on people. That's why you should always get your own financing in advance and let them try to beat it. I personally just finance with my credit union.

why do you hate :911:

this opens up a whole CFPB can of worms but basically: if you aren't marking up loans in a discriminatory way, you are OK. And stupid financially illiterate mother fuckers are not a protected class.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea; you're paying for the convenience of not finding financing yourself.

I hate dealerships as much as the next guy... But if you agreed to a 13% loan on a brand-new 50K+ car that's on you dude.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/fordperformance/status/1455308923226005513?s=21

Purpose-built and turnkey, Bronco DR – Desert Racer – is intended for off-road use only. It builds upon the already impressive capability of the production Bronco, bolstering that with a third-generation Ford Coyote 5.0-liter V8 engine that aims to generate more than 400 hp, Multimatic Positional Selective DSSV™ Dampers and Multimatic safety cage, plus a host of other racing hardware upgrades.

The Bronco DR prototype will make its race debut in 2022 and is targeting entry in the 2022 SCORE Baja 1000, wearing Ford Performance red, white, black and blue livery honoring the Baja 1000 victory. The first 50 units of 2023 Bronco DR will be available for sale in late 2022 with a starting price in the mid-$200,000 range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvsPiyl78vw

"So we got a call for a Bronco Desert Racer stuck in the sand... Lizzie will be driving it"

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Residency Evil posted:

iirc some states do have this and iirc that number is still something bonkers like 10-20%.

In NY at least, the typical max finance bump is 2%.

Some banks allow less.

It’s wild how bad auto loan protections are in other states.

dk2m posted:

“CR found someone from Texas who bought a new Chevrolet Suburban in January 2019 with a loan from GM Financial. Despite what CR calls a "prime credit score," this borrower ended up with a 13.55 percent APR and a monthly payment of $1628 for more than six years. That means an overall payment of more than $122,000 for a vehicle with a value of $71,148.”

What the gently caress????

There is a non zero chance the back end of that deal is absolutely stuffed with extended warranty, tire and wheel, paint protection, maintenance etc to ballon the payment up that high.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tom Guycot posted:

This is me at the moment.

After not having had a car in almost 10 years, I recently got my old car out of storage, cleaned back up and in good working shape (thanks to some advise on this forum), but it makes me very nervous now as my daily driver. It's not a particularly fast car or anything, an 05 acura RSX-S, but if it gets up to 5000 rpm i start getting nervous, and if I hear that tell tale sound of the valve timing change at 6000 or so, I start getting the feeling the engine is about explode on me any second. Images in my head of metal shaving flying off everything and parts cracking.

I'm trying to remind myself that its not going to burst into a fireball if I tap the accelerator a little too much, but I still can't help feeling impending doom as it revs up.

fwiw from a random nobody internet rear end in a top hat, assuming it's in good properly maintained condition revving the piss out of an engine won't hurt it unless you're bouncing off the rev limiter constantly, and even that will take time to do any excessive wear

what’s important is to not drive the car hard until it’s fully warmed up to operating temperature

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 2, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I forgot about this until today, I wonder if anyone posted about it at the time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Generation_Delivery_Vehicle

Should enter service maybe 2023 for USPS, I bet later. Looks like an angry bug?

Also of note, kind of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7-scO-gUtA

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 2, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I don't have time RN to do an internet dive for this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've got it in my head that the SST is closely related to the DPS6?

the SST is a Getrag DCT470 and variants of it exist in Fiat, Chrysler, Volvos and some Fords but it is not exactly DPS6 from what I understand. the DPS6 is a dry clutch, mines wet. the 2013 and onwards evos have an updated valvebody which is supposed to be a bit better.

its one of the earlier designs of a DCT so it is fairly prone to the common problems of DCTs like poor low speed engagement/jerking and weird shifting behaviour, but regular fluid changes with the correct type of fluid seem to be all thats really necessary to keep it out of trouble. like I said, if i did a basic mod + tune (exhaust, intake, some piping) to get another 60kW at the wheels, the transmission would then be the next failure point.

the common problems with them are, I believe, mostly solved with newer DCTs from VAG etc that keep the clutch pack fluid and the transmission fluid separate (to prevent the ferrous debris from the steels in the clutch packs becoming suspended in the transmission fluid which circulates around the magnets the TCU uses to sense what the shift forks are doing)

at factory power with 1-2 track days and a handful of angry street driving adventures a year I've been trouble free besides the quirks of owning a DCT as mentioned. occasionally it will get stuck in 'gear limbo' where it says its in 2nd but its really just looking for 2nd coming from 3rd while the box is cold, but its easily mitigated by just driving in manual mode at least til the box is warm.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

This is me at the moment.

After not having had a car in almost 10 years, I recently got my old car out of storage, cleaned back up and in good working shape (thanks to some advise on this forum), but it makes me very nervous now as my daily driver. It's not a particularly fast car or anything, an 05 acura RSX-S, but if it gets up to 5000 rpm i start getting nervous, and if I hear that tell tale sound of the valve timing change at 6000 or so, I start getting the feeling the engine is about explode on me any second. Images in my head of metal shaving flying off everything and parts cracking.

I'm trying to remind myself that its not going to burst into a fireball if I tap the accelerator a little too much, but I still can't help feeling impending doom as it revs up.

That engine is crying. For real. Take it to 8000 like god intended.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
That motor will take a thrashing. Don’t beat on it while it’s cold, make sure the oil stays topped up, and drive the balls off of it. If it breaks at redline there is a problem with it that is just as likely to break it at 4500.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Once you do it a few times you'll feel comfortable with it and won't want to stop

Want my next car to actually feel like it's doing something if I rev it out- tiny turbo spools up really early in the revrange and is absolutely out of breath by the time I hit redline. I mean it makes the car more "drivable" since the torque is on tap so early on and I feel like this is the general way engines are designed. Put all the torque down low and make 20% pedal depression 100% actual throttle. Makes it "feel faster".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fknlo posted:

Seriously. If 5k caused engine problems, the redline would be 4k. The redline means "it's safe to operate the engine at any speed below this." Use as much of that rev range as you want.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The entire point of Honda’s vtec offerings is to have them in the vtec rpm range all of the time. It’s where they make their power and get fun. I’m not sure if I’ve ever driven my S2000 and not taken it 8000rpm at least once

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Fit actually starts to vibrate in weird ways at over 5k rpm. Since I rebuilt the transmission myself I'm not entirely confident that it's not going to a actually blow up. The redline is 6k so it's not like I'm losing much though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

fknlo posted:

The entire point of Honda’s vtec offerings is to have them in the vtec rpm range all of the time. It’s where they make their power and get fun. I’m not sure if I’ve ever driven my S2000 and not taken it 8000rpm at least once

I remember someone insisting I was going to blow the engine in my 07 Si because I dared to rev it all the way to 4k rpm in front of them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When my uncle worked as an Acura mechanic, customers would come in complaining of hesitation and rough running and they would just take the cars out and give them an "Italian tuneup". Basically beat the poo poo out of them to clear out carbon and such that built up never revving the thing beyond 3000 RPM.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Converse to all this is the guy I knew who would daily his E92 M3 even during winter and would punch it to redline 30 seconds after he started it up. He did this once after we both were leaving and I visibly winced, expecting to hear the whole thing to blow up from a seized bearing but somehow, he’s still fine after 3 years

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

i own every Bionicle posted:

That motor will take a thrashing. Don’t beat on it while it’s cold, make sure the oil stays topped up, and drive the balls off of it. If it breaks at redline there is a problem with it that is just as likely to break it at 4500.

Yup, if the engine is going to die it'll do it at whatever RPM and it's a HONDA, people have been kicking the poo poo out of their engines for decades and I'm not sure I've heard many stories of them dying despite being pinged off the rev limiter for ages at a time doing burnouts and such.

Exhibit A your honour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-2Kg0lBkk

I'd rather my engine die doing something fun than tootling around going to the shops or something.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 2, 2021

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Yuck. Within $500 of a Toyobaru. Probably about the same as the (ugly) new WRX.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jeep Created a Super-Wrangler With Three Rows of Seats

actually looks good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Don't get excited, it's a SEMA car :(

It does look bitchin' though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yup, if the engine is going to die it'll do it at whatever RPM and it's a HONDA, people have been kicking the poo poo out of their engines for decades and I'm not sure I've heard many stories of them dying despite being pinged off the rev limiter for ages at a time doing burnouts and such.

Exhibit A your honour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-2Kg0lBkk

I'd rather my engine die doing something fun than tootling around going to the shops or something.

That’s me

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Getting through that tiny rear door to the third row will sure be fun.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Ok, here's one good thing to come out of SEMA this year.

https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1455600324203487235?t=0asBD3HEF2gS1VhJ7ZYMEg&s=19

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Getting through that tiny rear door to the third row will sure be fun.

oh, i wouldn't want to put humans in the back. I'd yank those seats out if they dont fold flat. I like the overall look of the vehicle though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thread posted:

you dummy

Yeah, I'm trying to remind myself its not filled with unstable nitroglycerine, and it needs to rev up a bit to not drive like a geo metro at 2500rpm or feel like its going to stall, but its been so long since I drove this car regularly, it starts to get loud and I get scared instinctively. I've never been a petrol head, so I appreciate the reassurances of "you're not going to break it by revving it past 4000rpm".

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to remind myself its not filled with unstable nitroglycerine, and it needs to rev up a bit to not drive like a geo metro at 2500rpm or feel like its going to stall, but its been so long since I drove this car regularly, it starts to get loud and I get scared instinctively. I've never been a petrol head, so I appreciate the reassurances of "you're not going to break it by revving it past 4000rpm".

I feel like semi-regular trips to the redline (after warming up obvs) is probably good for the engine, idk if it's actually true but I feel like for direct-injection engines it might help prevent too much carbon buildup on the intake valves. I mean if you count up the minutes the engine spends at redline vs around 2000 RPM it's probably only close to redline for way less than 0.1% of the time, so I don't think it's going to be a significant contributor to wear.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Be still my beating heart.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dk2m posted:

Converse to all this is the guy I knew who would daily his E92 M3 even during winter and would punch it to redline 30 seconds after he started it up. He did this once after we both were leaving and I visibly winced, expecting to hear the whole thing to blow up from a seized bearing but somehow, he’s still fine after 3 years

Some (all?) of the modern M cars limit the redline until the engine temperature rises to an appropriate level, specifically for people like this guy I guess.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Throatwarbler posted:

Some (all?) of the modern M cars limit the redline until the engine temperature rises to an appropriate level, specifically for people like this guy I guess.

the 2zzge is that way. won't let you go into lift/ cut you off at 7k unless there is sufficient oil temperature and oil pressure. then you get to go to 8.4k

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I rev the piss out of my Fit and it loves it, now I did have the transmission mounts replaced under warranty though, that was the only issue.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The KA24E in the Nissan Hardbody is a weird one. Red line on the tach is like 5600, but you can wind it all the way to 6500 or so before the fuel cut kicks in.

Note there is absolutely no reason to rev a KA24E past 5000rpm.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I think it's less "loud noises = stuff breaking" for most people and more "loud noises scare me".

Powershift posted:

Also why modern stock throttle tunes give you 90% throttle at 10% pedal.

It also has the double whammy of making cars feel more powerful than they actually are.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

When my uncle worked as an Acura mechanic, customers would come in complaining of hesitation and rough running and they would just take the cars out and give them an "Italian tuneup". Basically beat the poo poo out of them to clear out carbon and such that built up never revving the thing beyond 3000 RPM.

Even if you drive on a track, you can't get the places that get carbon build up hot enough to "clear out carbon". That's a myth.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
One of the annoying things about owning a DI motor without port injection was the 40K walnut blasts to clear out carbon build up. I don’t have the pictures anymore but my tuner showed me pure gunk on the valves and that was just after 30k miles. EGR valves really don’t help either but unless you live in a state that doesn’t test emissions, can’t remove that poo poo. Revving it doesn’t do much in that scenario.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This was all 3 decades ago.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Too bad they ruined the interior.

https://twitter.com/fordperformance/status/1455592156794658822?s=21

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wow, that... god dammit that's terrible. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Why are there bucket seats.

Couldn't they just keep the original column shifter and have a little Arduino or w/e send the signals for drive and reverse

Same controller could drive the existing gauges