Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The Virginian Pilot says it's slow at the voting sites in Hampton Roads. :(

RBA Starblade posted:

When do they count mail-in ballots anyway? Mine said they accept them until Friday.

According to the Washington Post...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/10/30/virginia-election-when-expect-results/

quote:

When will I know who won?

Most election officials will begin posting the tallies for absentee ballot tallies first, most likely shortly after polls close at 7 p.m. That is largely due to a law passed by the General Assembly this year that requires election officials to begin preprocessing absentee ballots — or confirming their validity and then scanning them into a voting machine — at least seven days before Election Day.

Last year, election officials didn’t begin processing the bulk of their absentee ballots until after polls closed, resulting in long delays in reporting those results. As a result, the first ballots counted were in-person votes cast on Election Day — only 40 percent of all votes cast — which favored Trump. But this was only a feature of how ballots were counted. Once localities finished processing early ballots, Trump’s apparent lead dissipated around midnight and Biden was ahead in Virginia. Biden ultimately won the state by 10 percentage points.

This year, Virginia has changed how it will process early votes. Localities are obligated to process absentee ballots in the seven days leading up to Election Day, so when polls close, those ballots can be counted immediately.

While the partisan divide in early voting is not as pronounced as it was last year, it’s still present. As a result, McAuliffe might have a lead early in the night. Youngkin could catch-up in the vote count once localities start counting Election Day ballots because generally Republican-friendly rural localities tend to count day-of ballots faster than urban ones. Whether Youngkin is able to maintain his lead will depend on how many Election Day votes McAuliffe will have outstanding in the urban localities in the northeast of the commonwealth.

Barring any unforeseen complications, the Election Day ballot counts should be posted soon after the absentee ballot counts. Some local officials estimate — but don’t guarantee — that will be about 9 p.m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Meatball posted:

This happened in the Newsom recall as well. Articles came out about "oh the Republican might win" and it spurred dem turnout.

yeah that my hope.

RBA Starblade posted:

When do they count mail-in ballots anyway? Mine said they accept them until Friday.

they should be counted soon after poll closing i believe.

Youth Decay posted:

Early voting on Saturday was packed apparently. 45-minute waits at polls in Richmond with lines out the door like it was a presidential election.

I'm going this afternoon when the rain lets up. It's a good excuse to leave work early :v:

my state also has voting today and i will probably run out and do it before some early holiday shopping.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Democrats spent 4 5 years whining about Jill Stein for exactly the same dubious reason, so its interesting that the GOP seems to have already let it go in favor of other, more insane theories whereas the dems kept staying mad about Stein *and* Russia
Yeah I think the GOP has figured out haranguing Libertarian voters is a waste of time. The 'Libertarians' who only care about tax cuts and deregulation and hide behind the Libertarian label to distance themselves from the fundies and bigots of the GOP mostly vote Republican already. In my experience most actual-no-poo poo Libertarian voters aren't available to the GOP because they also feel very strongly about an issue that Republicans have no interest in accommodating (legal weed/other drugs, anti-war, gold standard, pro-LGBT, whatever). It's way more effective to rile up and turn out Republican-aligned people with red meat than it is to try to 'appeal' to libertarian voters (who mostly don't like the GOP to begin with) by calling them all stupid.

Conservative Democrats don't really want to rile up and excite Democrats (at least not with promises to do things) because then they're expected to do things and get backlash if they don't (see Hillary misinterpreting Obama's and the Democrats' falling approval as a consequence of overpromising, and therefore following a strategy of 'managing expectations' in 2016 with disastrous results). So this is really all they have: find a way to rile people up that doesn't confer any obligation to do things ("butT rump!") or call Jill Stein voters stupid babies in the hopes they can depress everyone into accepting that better things aren't possible so resign yourself to voting blue to keep things from getting worse.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 2, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Happy election day everybody, I'll be off to the polls to vote for my Mayor and city councilors and school bonds after work. Hope y'all all engage with your civic duty wherever you may be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Happy election day everybody, I'll be off to the polls to vote for my Mayor and city councilors and school bonds after work. Hope y'all all engage with your civic duty wherever you may be.

Personally voting today to keep the human embodiment of the Kelly "America when we do/don't talk about race" cartoon out of mayoral office in my city, and also to maintain a statewide capital gains tax.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'm voting against a guy who literally lives in my building and has bombarded me, personally, with leaflets and literature because none of his literature actually says what he supports and the time I tried to talk with him in person he gave a bunch of rehearsed non-answers. Plus he skipped out on a candidate forum I pay attention to while his opponent showed up and gave answers I really liked.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It looks like the FEC just ruled that ballot initiatives are technically "not elections" and as such aren't covered by bans on foreign money buying influence in campaigns.

Document here: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21096628-fec-ballot-measure-ruling

Someone please tell me I'm misreading this

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It looks like the FEC just ruled that ballot initiatives are technically "not elections" and as such aren't covered by bans on foreign money buying influence in campaigns.

Document here: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21096628-fec-ballot-measure-ruling

Someone please tell me I'm misreading this

It seems to be a long-standing rule that ballot initiatives or referenda are not elections. This isn't new.

Your complaint is affirmed in part, and denied in part.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
New thread for discussing social critique in fiction

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1455599234741329923

It's like the Democrats are all in a marriage counseling session.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How are u posted:

Just how many things do you guys vote for during these elections? Does it vary by state?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Furnaceface posted:

Just how many things do you guys vote for during these elections? Does it vary by state?

It does vary by state. There are no federal elections. The only significant statewide elections are in New Jersey and Virginia. There are, however, numerous local elections occurring in many states, the most notable being elections in New York City for the mayor, council, and other city-wide officers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Also county/city. They tend to consolidate local elections to coincide with state/national elections to minimize the number of them. "Election Day" just means you go to the polls and vote for all the stuff on the ballot, from Dog Catcher to President

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Furnaceface posted:

Not only does it vary by state, it varies by locality within each state!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

There's no party ticket, so every position is voted for individually. And every state and city has a different mix of positions.

There's also huge variation about when elections occur: generally they happen on the first Tuesday in November, because that's when federal elections need to happen and a lot of states and municipalities piggy back off the infrastructure. What we're seeing now are off-year elections, so called because they happen in-between the biennial federal elections.

Because it's the off-year, not everywhere has an election. Often the off-year elections are advantageous to the party in power, since they can rely on an existing electoral machine, so you see them in places like New York City (dem stronghold) or Virginia (former rep bastion).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

These off year elections are when they slip horrible poo poo onto the ballot while most people aren't paying attention.

I went out to vote against an initiative to force Austin to spend a third of the whole city budget on the loving cops, and I'm not optimistic about it after another initiative to make being homeless practically illegal passed last spring.

On the other hand there has been an active campaign against it because unlike the homelessness ban, this initiative threatens stuff affluent liberals care about like funding for parks, libraries, etc, the city fire department has even been placing a ton of ads against it so who knows.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/RepJoshG/status/1455590875116023815

I don't see anything about SALT changes so maybe he is just saying he still wants it in the final bill?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1455603390717825026

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1455603890406281218

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
NJ early voting was a snap on Sunday, got some cool voting machines too - digital screens and a window with a paper ticket that prints your choices. You can confirm the screen matches paper, then they store the paper ticket away. Cool stuff.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1455591829198577668?t=c5qdZaXvUNcFjGTt-dH33w&s=19

Justice for Gizmo

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Didn't Obama promise to shut down Gizmo? Sad!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
drat guess I'm a Republican now

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I like that the Republican candidate for NYC mayor has become a harmless figure of fun. Now if we could just get Dem primary voters to pick better candidates.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A common enough mix-up, they should really stop using c-stores as polling stations. There are cultural expectations of them there that run afoul of actual election law

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1455606480497954816

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Certainly a better cat policy than the second most recent GOP mayoral candidate

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

A responder in Raju's thread led me to this article, which goes into deep detail on what this deal most likely is. Subject to any changes made in the actual negotiating room of course. It seems like it could make a big difference, especially because its design to impose hard price ceilings on drugs and punitively punish any company that just totally avoids negotiating, not to mention the inclusion of all insulin products.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/02/new-drug-pricing-outline-limited-medicare-negotiation-carveout-small-biotechs/

Its obviously not nearly as good as blanket drug negotiating or pegging our prices to international prices, but it does seem like it'll make a big difference in real-world medical costs, especially for older people, which is good what with our aging population.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

didn't Sliwa also get run over after saying he'd get rid of all bicycle infrastructure because he believed there was a war on cars going on

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1455606659074727938 Watch out, they might turn the BBB Plan half-decently after all

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

TheDisreputableDog posted:

NJ early voting was a snap on Sunday, got some cool voting machines too - digital screens and a window with a paper ticket that prints your choices. You can confirm the screen matches paper, then they store the paper ticket away. Cool stuff.

Can confirm; just voted in southern NJ and these machines are really nifty.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

JT Jag posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1455606659074727938 Watch out, they might turn the BBB Plan half-decently after all

Nothing would be funnier if manchin and sinema fight to put stuff back in the bill they took out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol the gop is really trying to build an entire comeback narrative off of something that hasn't even happened yet and that is, as far as anyone can tell, currently still pie-in-the-sky dreaming

early voting in va is 600% what it was in 2017 and has massively, hugely favored dems so far

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol the gop is really trying to build an entire comeback narrative off of something that hasn't even happened yet and that is, as far as anyone can tell, currently still pie-in-the-sky dreaming

early voting in va is 600% what it was in 2017 and has massively, hugely favored dems so far

Politico is all in:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I hope the progressives in the house continue to promise and deliver tanking both bills if the moderates gently caress things up. This poo poo is too important to play games.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sanguinia posted:

A responder in Raju's thread led me to this article, which goes into deep detail on what this deal most likely is. Subject to any changes made in the actual negotiating room of course. It seems like it could make a big difference, especially because its design to impose hard price ceilings on drugs and punitively punish any company that just totally avoids negotiating, not to mention the inclusion of all insulin products.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/02/new-drug-pricing-outline-limited-medicare-negotiation-carveout-small-biotechs/

Its obviously not nearly as good as blanket drug negotiating or pegging our prices to international prices, but it does seem like it'll make a big difference in real-world medical costs, especially for older people, which is good what with our aging population.

Yeah, this is going to help real people, but the gall of Sinema to talk about “protecting innovation” when these parasites spend more on advertising than research. Have DARPA start dumping some of that endless MIC money into drug discovery at our medical colleges and see who’s doing the real innovation.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1455595743545286658?t=nYyg841Y0qa7crEIONfllw&s=19

Democrats correcting the biggest injustice of the TJCA lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Thats insane, how are they keeping the bill price at $1.8T with retroactive salt?

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1455609793889120272?t=mxLOoxo8UPrF9HBhqyR_4A&s=19

Poor Pelosi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean 2017 is pre-covid, so I mean early voting wasn't massive