Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to November in the US, its Turkey Month.

This space is going to be updated later, but for now this is replacing USNews, it remains largely focused on US News and Current Events discussion. It will be refreshed each month.

This thread is running in Slow Mode to help enable stronger discussion.
Some basic rules for now:
- Try to keep it on topic, if the topic is heavily detailed and/or debated, consider taking a look at D&D New Thread rules and making it its own thread. This will not be enforced unless its distracting from actual discussion
- Keep it civil. US politics suck, but we don't need to get down to name calling here.
- When you share tweets or news, link the full article being discussed if it isn't, and comment on what your found interesting about it. Be sure to consider your source and if they're worth listening to before posting.
- You are allowed to advertise any thread that is applicable to US Politics in this thread

We'll try to keep a running thread of current and previous events in this post.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is this the official Recep Tayyip Erdogan appreciation station?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Will VA take about 24 hours to get votes counted to announce a winner?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to November in the US, its Turkey Month.
Oh, the reconciliation bill is finally getting a vote?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

Will VA take about 24 hours to get votes counted to announce a winner?

It should take about as much time as it usually does. We generally know a winner within a few hours of the polls closing. Why would VA require 24?

We won't know the final totals for a while, perhaps, but the last few votes won't affect the outcome.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

AmiYumi posted:

Oh, the reconciliation bill is finally getting a vote?

Twitter noise indicates tomorrow for the vote on BBB but who knows

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I really think this post should be ground for in the new thread, and thank you JABC for doing the legwork on this.

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, after the last time I brought it up and you said that $6t was never in the works, I did a looksee:

The original bill floated by Sanders and other progressives back in June was at $6 trillion over ten years. Legislation was drafted but never came to a vote.

This is not to be confused for the $6 Trillion Biden 2022 budget, which is the whole budget and not the Infrastructure bill, which was announced in May.

The $10 Trillion figure was floated by AOC saying that $6T was not enough to combat the different crises we face now, but never had any legislation written.

So to help you out here:

$6 trillion for infrastructure was originally drafted but never came to a vote, not to be confused with the Biden-backed $6T total budget for 2022.

$10 trillion was suggested but never drafted.

The bill that was then presented is the 'original' $3.5 trillion that went through the Dems before being brought up to Congress.

And after Manchin and Sinema, we're sitting at $1.8 trillion.

So to respond to you: yes, the idea started as $6T and was compromised down to $3.5T, and is further being gutted by Manchin, Sinema and others to even reduce that to what we have now. So even if the total budget is over $3 trillion of $6 trillion offered by Biden, that is nearly half of what was originally described. And the Infrastructure bill itself has been, from concept to current state, massively undercut.

And I agree with you, we should argue that reducing the total budget by nearly half is something we should be focusing on. It's a lovely proposition. But part of that comes from the bill that is most likely going to end up reduced again by a handful of people (because the reduction from $6t to $3.5t came well before the current drama) going against a serious majority of the population in order to line their own pockets.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You know things are back to normal when the monthly threads return

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Grouchio posted:

You know things are back to normal when the monthly threads return
Let's hold off and see when the December thread gets posted before we start declaring a return to normal. We could still be looking at a second wave of seasonal megathreads.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
A new NPR Marist poll has some eye openers

https://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_B_202110251104.pdf

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1455186456679489543

:tif: energy for sure

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nenonen posted:

Is this the official Recep Tayyip Erdogan appreciation station?

he was part of the Turkish delegation at that original thanks giving meal.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Checking the composition of the sample...

quote:

This survey of 1,209 adults
{snip}
There are 469 Democrats and Democratic leaning independents and 413 Republicans and Republican leaning independents.

That leaves 327 voters who didn't specify an affiliation.

The survey has more Democratic-leaning voters, but also thinks the Democratic party is the greatest threat to democracy? The only way that makes sense is if the vast majority of "no specified affiliation" are hard right-wingers. I would just toss that survey into the trash where it belongs and not worry about it. EDIT 2: Fine, I see how it could be valid.

EDIT: The age breakdown of registered voters might be a clue:

18 to 29 - 16%
30 to 44 - 23%
45 to 59 - 27%
60 or older - 34%

61% of those polled are 45 or older.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 1, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Checking the composition of the sample...

That leaves 327 voters who didn't specify an affiliation.

The survey has more Democratic-leaning voters, but also thinks the Democratic party is the greatest threat to democracy? The only way that makes sense is if the vast majority of "no specified affiliation" are hard right-wingers. I would just toss that survey into the trash where it belongs and not worry about it.

I too like to throw away information that doesn't line up with my worldview

How about this one
https://twitter.com/nataliemj10/status/1455139127465291785

Another report showing some rather alarming trends.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How about this one

I think you two are talking past each other on this one.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How about this one

What point are the survey in the previous post and the survey in this post meant to cumulatively support other than some general call to "be alarmed!"

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't doubt that this is real, but like, where are these people?

I live in a very conservative county bordering a fairly liberal city, and I see some posts from people, on Facebook and news sites and nextdoor. But IRL I see no one raging on a soapbox, no one protesting outside city hall. It seems like all the belief that the election was stolen has been channeled into new bumper sticker purchases rather than actionable organization, which would lead me to presume that it's cope from salty losers rather than a sincerely held belief.

Seems kinda like all the insurrectionary energy is at the "vague crabbing on unrelated posts" stage. Maybe it's different in redder areas?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

spouse posted:

I live in a very conservative county bordering a fairly liberal city, and I see some posts from people, on Facebook and news sites and nextdoor. But IRL I see no one raging on a soapbox, no one protesting outside city hall. It seems like all the belief that the election was stolen has been channeled into new bumper sticker purchases rather than actionable organization, which would lead me to presume that it's cope from salty losers rather than a sincerely held belief.

Seems kinda like all the insurrectionary energy is at the "vague crabbing on unrelated posts" stage. Maybe it's different in redder areas?

This. There are a lot of Republicans who talk about violence to take the country back because it sounds cool and fits their stupid action movie hero view of patriotism, not at lot that would risk anything by doing it and even fewer among those that are competent enough to be dangerous. Let us all remember the Great Bundy Birdhouse Bonanza and how they didn't bring enough food with them to last more than a few days and were soon wallowing in their own filth when the water was shut off. Or the fact that the bulk of the Jan. 6 Insurrectionists were wandering around the Capital taking selfies nad staying inside the guide ropes like a bunch of tourists.

This isn't to say these people aren't dangerous. They absolutely are. They should be treated as such and crushed without a single bit of hesitation or excusing for their actions or intentions regardless of how far they're actually willing to go in real life. They're fascists who want to install a mass-murdering ideologically reactionary dictatorship indistinguishable from Nazi Germany. But the huge bulk of them are clearly lazy and financially comfortable idiots who are looking for little more than a thrill, to hurt minorities, to express their privilege absent consequences, and to feel like they're part of a community that shares their feelings.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

spouse posted:

Yeah I work in a part of Illinois that may as well be the deep south and it's nothing more than yard signs and bumper stickers here. These people don't do anything but complain (and, unfortunately, vote).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

spouse posted:

Maybe at a school board meeting?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh, I agree that 99% of people who think the election was stolen will do nothing about it.

I live in Colorado, and right-wingers are very worked up here. Just last week there was one of those drat "trump parades" that drove around my kid's school for an hour yelling about masks and freedumb. I think all of the anger is bring redirected to local elections like school boards. I will be very lucky if my current good school board that is enforcing masks makes re-election.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh, I agree that 99% of people who think the election was stolen will do nothing about it.

I think the danger isn't so much what these people will do about it, but what they won't do about it. They won't cry foul if their elected officials overturn a legitimate Democratic win in 2024. They won't fuss if President Trump and his cabinet of crooks and his craven Congressmen suspend elections and deploy troops to put down protestors. They won't care for a minute if small-d democracy ends in the United States. It's what they want, it's their end-game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oral arguments are ongoing in the Texas abortion cases right now (thread)

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455172114642837511?s=20

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Politico says there are four key issues left to resolve in the reconciliation bill:

Does PredictIt have a bet going on restoration of the SALT deduction? Because that would seem like easy money, given Pelosi's clamoring for it over the last year.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm surprised so many of the independent voters outright claimed to vote Democratic. The stereotype is that independent voters say that to be all galaxy brain. Then they go into the voting booth and pull the lever down so hard for Republicans that the counterforce sends their bodies into the ceiling.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm surprised so many of the independent voters outright claimed to vote Democratic. The stereotype is that independent voters say that to be all galaxy brain. Then they go into the voting booth and pull the lever down so hard for Republicans that the counterforce sends their bodies into the ceiling.

Independent voters have generally been split down the middle on which party they lean towards. Less than 10% of all voters report to be truly independent, meaning they don't lean towards either party.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oral arguments are ongoing in the Texas abortion cases right now (thread)

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455172114642837511?s=20

Tweet thread says Gorsuch is one of the only two justices who is telegraphing taking Texas' side in both suits. Which is pretty wild considering his weirdo true-Libertarian ideology. Guess snuffing Federal power is the lesser Liberatarian evil than allowing a state to become a dictatorship with the power to strip one of it's citizen's federal rights no matter where in the country they go to exercise it by turning every fascist in america into a cop.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Tweet thread says Gorsuch is one of the only two justices who is telegraphing taking Texas' side in both suits. Which is pretty wild considering his weirdo true-Libertarian ideology. Guess snuffing Federal power is the lesser Liberatarian evil than allowing a state to become a dictatorship with the power to strip one of it's citizen's federal rights no matter where in the country they go to exercise it by turning every fascist in america into a cop.

After the unhinged reaction to a pilot spouting off a right wing meme the other day, it’s difficult to see which Americans, if any, don’t want to be some kind of cop.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

https://twitter.com/byaaroncdavis/status/1455202736090271745

WaPo with its own Jan. 6 deep dive, a few months after the NYT documentary about the same. Really brings to mind that 24- to 48-hour window where I honestly think Trump could have actually been impeached if the articles were ready, before the GOP spin machine managed to conjure a laundry list of excuses for senators to pick from to avoid pissing off their own base

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

selec posted:

After the unhinged reaction to a pilot spouting off a right wing meme the other day, it’s difficult to see which Americans, if any, don’t want to be some kind of cop.

"Im uncomfortable that this pilot just yelled 'gently caress Obama' over the intercom"

"oh so you wish you were a cop????"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

punishedkissinger posted:

"Im uncomfortable that this pilot just yelled 'gently caress Obama' over the intercom"

In the physical reality we unfortunately live in, there is a 99% chance that any rando you meet screaming about Biden is angry that he wants to use Xi Jinping's communist vaccine to turn our kids gay, for George Soros and the (((global elite))).

BUT, there is a 1% chance that he is angry because he's a leftist upset with Biden's policies. There's no way to tell. Why you so triggered lib? You think anyone who dislikes Biden must be some kinda fascist or something?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

selec posted:

Southwest Airlines itself seems to be joining in on the "unhinged" reaction.

Southwest Airlines investigates pilot’s use of ‘Let’s go Brandon’ anti-Biden jibe
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/01/southwest-airlines-pilot-lets-go-brandon-biden

quote:

Southwest Airlines announced an internal investigation after a pilot was reported to have signed off a message to passengers by saying: “Let’s go Brandon.”

The apparent non-sequitur is in fact a rightwing meme, based on a NBC sportscaster’s apparent mishearing of a chant of “gently caress Joe Biden” by a crowd at a Nascar circuit in Alabama at the start of October.

On a Southwest flight from Houston, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico on Friday morning, an Associated Press reporter heard the pilot end a message over the public address system with the phrase, prompting gasps from some passengers.

The reporter, Colleen Long, said she tried to ask the pilot about his comment but was “almost removed from [the] plane”.

As discussion of the incident proliferated online, Southwest said in a statement it “takes pride in providing a welcoming, comfortable, safe and respectful environment for the millions of customers who fly with us each year.

“Southwest does not condone employees sharing their personal political opinions while on the job, serving our customers. And one employee’s individual perspective should not be interpreted as the viewpoint of Southwest and its collective 54,000 employees.

“Southwest is conducting an internal investigation into the recently reported event.”

Predictably popular among supporters of Donald Trump, the man Joe Biden soundly beat for the White House last year, “Let’s go Brandon” swiftly reached the halls of Congress.

Among uses by House Republicans, the Florida representative Bill Posey ended a floor speech with a fist pump and the phrase while Jeff Duncan, from South Carolina, wore a “Let’s Go Brandon” mask at the Capitol.

In the Senate, Ted Cruz of Texas posed with a sign at a World Series game while the press secretary for Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Senate minority leader, retweeted a photo of the phrase on a construction sign in Virginia.

Trump’s fundraising committee now sells a $45 T-shirt featuring “Let’s go Brandon” above an American flag. One message to supporters read: “#FJB or LET’S GO BRANDON? Either way, President Trump wants YOU to have our ICONIC new shirt.”

Southwest said it would “address the situation directly with any employee involved while continuing to remind all employees that public expression of personal opinions while on duty is unacceptable.

“Southwest does not tolerate any behavior that encourages divisiveness as it does not reflect the Southwest hospitality and inclusiveness for which we are known and strive to provide each day on every flight.”

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

spouse posted:

some on the left believe that the Republicans are planning to legislate the democratic process away, and others believe that many on the right are ethnofacists, in the same vein as Nazis. If they truly believed this, why wouldn't THEY take direct action?

People in this country have too much other stuff to worry about, no matter what their political beliefs may be. It's no coincidence that the largest scale protests seen in this country in decades occurred during the pandemic-induced shutdowns. That's also why we won't ever get another one

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think the texas abortion ban might have been designed intentionally to send to the supreme court, based on a strategy of purposefully including extremely horrible parts as sacrificial buffers.

If the abortion ban was just the 6 week/heartbeat thing, they would just have to up or down the process and the news would be "Supreme court allows/denies abortion ban"

Instead they can now ever so graiously strip off entire wads of the whole blatantly unconstitutional abortion bounty hunter / citizen deputizing bullshit, carving down the majority of the bill

... but, of course, leave the actual abortion ban in place in service of their demented ideology.

The reason why I think they're playing these games is because they're at least aware that they have to play it carefully with the legitimacy of the supreme court. Like, they know they can't just go all-in on the process of restructuring american law in service of a narrow right-wing dominionist attitude.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

There was quite a bit more than that going on both in this thread and on Twitter. They let this weirdo on CNN:

https://twitter.com/asharangappa_/status/1454617599854080003?s=21

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Reminder that conservatism is nothing more than a political front for white supremacy and should be treated accordingly

If one encounters a conservative in real life, the proper procedure is to point and laugh at the person until they go away

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Kavros posted:

I think the texas abortion ban might have been designed intentionally to send to the supreme court, based on a strategy of purposefully including extremely horrible parts as sacrificial buffers.

If the abortion ban was just the 6 week/heartbeat thing, they would just have to up or down the process and the news would be "Supreme court allows/denies abortion ban"

Instead they can now ever so graiously strip off entire wads of the whole blatantly unconstitutional abortion bounty hunter / citizen deputizing bullshit, carving down the majority of the bill

... but, of course, leave the actual abortion ban in place in service of their demented ideology.

The reason why I think they're playing these games is because they're at least aware that they have to play it carefully with the legitimacy of the supreme court. Like, they know they can't just go all-in on the process of restructuring american law in service of a narrow right-wing dominionist attitude.

The point is to slather up the chuds for the midterm - they're getting pretty close to achieving their objective of locking the dems out for good, or they think they are, if they're trying this strategy and cashing a valuable chip like Roe, even in a conservative fashion. They can go hog wild in 3 years.

In related news:
https://maristpoll.marist.edu/polls...-november-2021/

More folks think the dem's chances are better with someone else then biden then do, among other things.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 1, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Deplatforming conservative speech shouldn't just happen on Twitter it should happen everywhere including some random pilot on a Southwest flight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Southwest Airlines itself seems to be joining in on the "unhinged" reaction.

Southwest Airlines investigates pilot’s use of ‘Let’s go Brandon’ anti-Biden jibe
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/01/southwest-airlines-pilot-lets-go-brandon-biden

"Prompting gasps" is still the funniest thing from this whole story to me, it just sounds like the plane was full of church ladies that heard a swear or something.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
This Thanksgiving, remember to cut all right-wingers out of your life

You don't gotta worry about holiday flights or gifts when you're no longer on speaking terms with half of your family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1455158700004581388?t=XhyRPrL-aOwIkirTPwLkzw&s=19

This seems ill-advised.

On the other hand, this is an entire thread of some prime leopards eating faces stuff

https://twitter.com/BradGeyer/status/1454151406588469248?t=eYL6CazPuhFPqKTd0v7FdQ&s=19