Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also Starfleet should develop holo-security in the event that the ship gets boarded

They'd be defeated in the blink of an eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

:gowron:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just have the holograms take the form of a laser grid that go through the corridors like in that Resident Evil movie.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't know why biological life has to be involved at all tbh, apart from maybe passengers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Biologicals are all sequestered in isolated pods having visions of endless ready room discussions, imagining they're in space.

Artificial life has been cooperatively exploring the universe unfettered by us critters for hundreds of years

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't know why biological life has to be involved at all tbh, apart from maybe passengers

Risk is our business

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This but for the whole galaxy, and im not just saying that because I'm the picard mass effect portal aliens.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's about boldly going, not meekly observing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Actually I take back my comment about biologicals, it's been shown multiple times that independent biological agents (humans etc) provide robust redundancy against attacks that disable electronic systems. When you've lost all shields and power, you'll be glad of that colony of humans, even if they do poop a distressing amount

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would make sense to put emitters everywhere in case there is an emergency

Also Starfleet should develop holo-security in the event that the ship gets boarded

Great, one more way for the computers to turn sapient and take over the ship, but these ones are combat trained.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Great, one more way for the computers to turn sapient and take over the ship, but these ones are combat trained.
It’s going to happen no matter what

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s going to happen no matter what

Can't argue with that.

Remember the time the computer accidentally made a sapient Moriarty hologram and it was able to leave the holodeck with no emitter at all, because willpower? lol

Made the Doctor look real bad. He had years of uptime and never figured out how to do that trick. What an idiot.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Can't argue with that.

Remember the time the computer accidentally made a sapient Moriarty hologram and it was able to leave the holodeck with no emitter at all, because willpower? lol

Made the Doctor look real bad. He had years of uptime and never figured out how to do that trick. What an idiot.

You uh need to rewatch that episode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Can't argue with that.

I think you're misremembering that Moriarty episode

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Episodes. He gets made in the first one and exits in the second.

quote:

Moriarty did not know if Picard would help him this time and devised a ruse. He met Picard in Holmes' room at 221B Baker Street. Moriarty did not believe Picard when told that he had not been forgotten and that Starfleet's finest scientists had not found a way to allow him to leave the holodeck. He told Picard that it was a matter of willpower, and when Picard summoned the holodeck exit, Moriarty walked through it before anyone realized what he had done. A stunned Picard and Data walked up to him and could not understand how this was possible. Moriarty was told by Picard that he needed to be examined and was taken to Doctor Beverly Crusher, who found nothing wrong with him and that other than unusual DNA, he was Human. (TNG: "Ship in a Bottle")

Whoops, yeah, that was a ruse. Wild.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 2, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

You need to rewatch that episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spoiler alert: ship in a bottle.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
:sickos:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Facebook Aunt posted:

Whoops, yeah, that was a ruse. Wild.

Wow, I can't believe Moriarty is a Goon and he just learned about his L.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

No, you're Funny Face

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MikeJF posted:

Spoiler alert: ship in a bottle.

Picard really loves his ships in bottles.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Brawnfire posted:

lol but also now we know why there are so many eyeballs on Prodigy....

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nice of them to put in a DIAGNOSTIC TOOL for the WARP CORE.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Delete Warp Core” is the new delete system 32.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, I can't believe Moriarty is a Goon and he just learned about his L.

Wait, does that mean our entire reality is just a simulation inside that little cube? :aaa:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The cube belongs to the koala.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

100% prodigy was shopped as a star wars series

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

100% prodigy was shopped as a star wars series

I really don't think that's how anything works anymore with big networks like Disney and Paramount

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

people dont sell pilots anymore?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Every series is an unmanned drone now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Are you suggesting the whole thing except the ship was already animated and someone brought it to Disney first, rather than staff at Paramount being told to make something

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Are you suggesting the whole thing except the ship was already animated and someone brought it to Disney first, rather than staff at Paramount being told to make something

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

yeah kinda. it feels straight out of something like clone wars. theres a looming sith guy, droids, kneeling before a master, its all there.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

yeah kinda. it feels straight out of something like clone wars. theres a looming sith guy, droids, kneeling before a master, its all there.

I think it's more that shows are influenced by the shows around them, particularly the successful ones. It doesn't have to be anything more than that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

By the way, Prodigy showerthought: Why does the universal translator make the big burly rock creature that previously spoke in low-pitched grunts have a high-pitched, squeaky voice?

What if Cardassians 'really' sound like dolphins when untranslated?

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 3, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ashpanash posted:

By the way, Prodigy showerthought: Why does the universal translator make the big burly rock creature that previously spoke in low-pitched grunts have a high-pitched, squeaky voice?

What if Cardassians 'really' sound like dolphins when untranslated?

Universal Translator Interfaces can decipher tone and intent from context. Improperly controlled UTIs can cause major inter-species issues. Just ask Riker.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Because she's speaking in the tones of a young girl in Brikari so she's translated as a young girl would sound in Dal's species.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

https://trekmovie.com/2021/10/22/interview-star-trek-prodigy-producers-talk-legacy-characters-canon-and-not-dumbing-down-trek/ posted:

Was Prodigy an idea you brought to CBS Paramount and Nickelodeon or were you asked to develop a Star Trek show for kids by them, and Prodigy came from that?

Dan Hageman: The latter. Secret Hideout came to us and said, ‘We would love to figure out an entry point for the Star Trek universe for a younger audience.’ And then Kevin and I kind of went away and then we came back and said we’d like to make this show, and they were enthusiastic about it, and the rest is on the screen.

Kevin Hageman: At first we were really nervous about doing a Trek show because I don’t think I could write an episode of, let’s say, Voyager. But when we left that meeting, we’re like, ‘Well, what would we do?’ And we decided, ‘Wait a minute, if these main characters are outside of everything Starfleet and they start to discover it and learn it and stuff like that.’ That’s really relatable and it’s a wonderful jumping-off point for kids, right? For most shows, it’s always these fully formed officers who just know everything. The best of the best. What kid is the best of the best?

Dan Hageman: I think the first thing we would say very early on is: ‘We don’t want to work on little Kirk and little Spock.’

Kevin Hageman: That sounds like it sounds like a terrible show.

Dan Hageman: I’m sure it has an audience, but we don’t want to write that.

It's part of Kurtzman's 'strategy' to create different shows meant for different demographics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

It's part of Kurtzman's 'strategy' to create different shows meant for different demographics.

I mean it seems like it's paying off so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, Prodigy is a really pretty show with a really vibrant colour palette.