Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Final update on my cat: I had to put him to sleep this morning, not even 48 hours after his cancer diagnosis.

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to take him to the vet earlier than his scheduled appointment. That allowed him to die peacefully and with dignity, before his pain became unendurable.

My pain, on the other hand… but that’s for another thread, on another forum.

I'm sorry for your loss. You can talk here, you're in good company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracle Mike
Sep 23, 2012

I talk too much
I just adopted 2 sisters from a shelter, 5 months old. I got 2 following the advice from this thread..... I will post pics if they come out from wherever they hid

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Miracle Mike posted:

I just adopted 2 sisters from a shelter, 5 months old. I got 2 following the advice from this thread..... I will post pics if they come out from wherever they hid

They will! It might take a few days though, sometimes cats are like that. Just exist quietly in the same room as them and they will get there.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Rabbit Hill posted:

Final update on my cat:

I'm very sorry, he was a beautiful little guy. We do have a remembrance thread stickied at the top of this forum if you want to share stories or pictures.

Miracle Mike
Sep 23, 2012

I talk too much

Rabbit Hill posted:

Final update on my cat: I had to put him to sleep this morning, not even 48 hours after his cancer diagnosis.

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to take him to the vet earlier than his scheduled appointment. That allowed him to die peacefully and with dignity, before his pain became unendurable.

My pain, on the other hand… but that’s for another thread, on another forum.

I'm sorry, that is very sad, I also lost my cat last august, he was my friend.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Aw thank you so much, you guys are so nice.

I think I’ll post something to the memorial thread later. My cat (like all cats) was a unique little weirdo but was unusually friendly and outgoing, and I bet he’s making friends with all those pets on the other side now.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
That moment when you look over at your wife lying on the couch as you watch TV before bed and then d'awww as Elder Boots snuggles up to her and lays down. She covers him up and then the practical retching starts as he begins to clean himself right in her face, breathing all over her. "Tuna whitefish turkey with giblets shampoo" will forever be my favorite description of cat baths.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any advice on getting two cats to stop trying to murder each other? We brought Bailey home about six months ago, and our other cat Ponyo goes absolutely apeshitt when seeing her. After several scuffles Bailey has become the de-facto "upstairs cat" while Ponyo is the "downstairs cat." But recently it occurred to Ponyo she used to go upstairs and why the hell doesn't she do that any more and so she does and... bam the two of them in full catfight mode.

Bailey is actually pretty terrified of Ponyo and tries to avoid her at all costs. But running away leads Ponyo to instantly chase, which results in the two of them tearing each other apart. Neither has been seriously hurt... yet, but this can't go on. I have no idea how to get them to chill out around each other. Feli-Away is a total scam but idk what alternative there is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ballz posted:

Any advice on getting two cats to stop trying to murder each other? We brought Bailey home about six months ago, and our other cat Ponyo goes absolutely apeshitt when seeing her. After several scuffles Bailey has become the de-facto "upstairs cat" while Ponyo is the "downstairs cat." But recently it occurred to Ponyo she used to go upstairs and why the hell doesn't she do that any more and so she does and... bam the two of them in full catfight mode.

Bailey is actually pretty terrified of Ponyo and tries to avoid her at all costs. But running away leads Ponyo to instantly chase, which results in the two of them tearing each other apart. Neither has been seriously hurt... yet, but this can't go on. I have no idea how to get them to chill out around each other. Feli-Away is a total scam but idk what alternative there is.

Neither is getting hurt because they're not trying to hurt each other. It appears to be primarily a battle of dominance, of each establishing their boundaries. Invading other cats' territories is part of catting.

IMO let them go and don't worry about it. It's mostly just cats being cats.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Deteriorata posted:

Neither is getting hurt because they're not trying to hurt each other. It appears to be primarily a battle of dominance, of each establishing their boundaries. Invading other cats' territories is part of catting.

IMO let them go and don't worry about it. It's mostly just cats being cats.

They're not getting seriously hurt because we keep breaking them up before it gets too bad. Actually right now Bailey is hiding under our bed with a bleeding gash on at least one of her ears refusing to come out. I've had cats most of my life and this isn't normal friendly catting. They're turning feral whenever they see each other.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

We have 4 cats in our house, all of them different ages and from different places with different backgrounds. Pretty much nobody gets along totally perfectly, but we only have one really problematic cat-relationship where the fighting goes beyond play and into something really severe and traumatic. Even so, it has only reached a truly dangerous level on 1-2 different occasions.

The solution that the cats devised themselves is the same as the one your cats came to - one cat has his domain upstairs, and the other has hers downstairs. This keeps encounters between the two of them to a bare minimum. When there are encounters, generally there is a human nearby to break things up and keep them from getting serious.

I hate to tell you, but there just isn't really a solution other than Feliway (if it works for the cats in question) or separating the cats permanently in different households. Pretty much the best you can hope for is your cats figuring out some sort of mostly-peaceful division of the domain while keeping dominance skirmishes to a minimum.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You can try a full reintroduction (there's some helpful videos about this around the internet) it mostly involves completely separating them for a bit then starting off very slowly by feeding them on opposite sides of a door and over a period of weeks to months swapping them around and introducing scents and eventually sight. It's a lot of work, and it isn't a guarantee. If they hate each other to the point of drawing blood it's up to you if you want to just keep them in their own territories, do the reintroduction, or rehome one cat because sometimes that's the best you can do for them.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat's space in my bed was occupied today, so I woke up in the middle of the night to her sleeping directly on my head. Silly cat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CatOn - Apply directly to the forehead

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ballz posted:

They're not getting seriously hurt because we keep breaking them up before it gets too bad. Actually right now Bailey is hiding under our bed with a bleeding gash on at least one of her ears refusing to come out. I've had cats most of my life and this isn't normal friendly catting. They're turning feral whenever they see each other.

Well, most of what they're doing is standard cat stuff. You'll have to separate them for a while and then reintroduce them slowly, watching carefully to see what sets off the super-aggro behavior.

I don't have any great ideas. My experience is generally that cats are social animals and take their cues from each other. They need to spend time getting their signals straight so they can coexist. "Let the cats work it out themselves" is usually the only way to do that, but you'll have to let them do it safely.

In this case, Bailey is apparently doing something that Pongo interprets as an imminent threat. Bailey needs to learn not to do it and Pongo needs to learn he's not being threatened. The only way they can do that is spend time together where they can't physically interact.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaj posted:

I felt bad when I accidentally locked my poo poo head in the closet for 4 hours. I only figured out she was in there after seeing her paws reaching from under the door.

Once when my cat was pretty young, I heard my cat meowing from the hallway. I go into the hallway check my room and the bathroom, and I hear her meowing from the living room. I repeat the process again, and somehow it sounds like she was meowing in the kitchen.

I had been in the pantry about an hour earlier, and I had somehow not noticed she had gotten in there. I opened the door, she looked at me and ran into the back of the pantry, as if she hadn't just been meowing for me.

Edit:
Lol, I forgot the explanation as to the phantom meowing, I was hearing her though the furnace intake vent, located in the midpoint of the hallway.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 2, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Iron Crowned posted:

Once when my cat was pretty young, I heard my cat meowing from the hallway. I go into the hallway check my room and the bathroom, and I hear her meowing from the living room. I repeat the process again, and somehow it sounds like she was meowing in the kitchen.

I had been in the pantry about an hour earlier, and I had somehow not noticed she had gotten in there. I opened the door, she looked at me and ran into the back of the pantry, as if she hadn't just been meowing for me.

Just because she wants the door open doesn't mean she wants to come out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Being closed off from their territory is extremely offensive to cats, how dare you limit her options.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
me: frees my cat from the prison she's been trapped in for hours

my cat, her eyes enormous: you INVADE my sanctuary? you violate my personal space? oh! oh! jail for father! jail for father for One Thousand Years!!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

There's a wardrobe in my flat that Cinnamon is absolutely obsessed with. Touch its door? She will appear. Open the door? Unless you're paying careful attention and fending her off with a foot, she is immediately inside. I have to haul her bodily out of there, claws scrabbling on the wood.

As far as I can tell, all she wants to do is lurk inside, but god damnit it's my Nice Dresses wardrobe, I don't want them covered in cat hair.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

floofyscorp posted:

There's a wardrobe in my flat that Cinnamon is absolutely obsessed with. Touch its door? She will appear. Open the door? Unless you're paying careful attention and fending her off with a foot, she is immediately inside. I have to haul her bodily out of there, claws scrabbling on the wood.

As far as I can tell, all she wants to do is lurk inside, but god damnit it's my Nice Dresses wardrobe, I don't want them covered in cat hair.

Wednesday is exactly the same with my Nice Dresses wardrobe. I had to start locking it because she wouldn't stop trying to break in!

It's important to nap after crimes.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I made a walk in closet

I forgot I had cats

Sefal fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 2, 2021

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Oliver pulls the same poo poo with our main closet. It's packed to the brim with storage boxes, camping supplies, old backpacks and bags... A million fun little nooks and crannies to crawl into, settle down in, and get his fur all over. We're pretty good at keeping him out and being aware when he's in, but he's definitely hung out in the closed closet for a few hours at a time in the past. Only had to rescue him once. At least he came running out when I opened the door.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
That is the cat's closet

you are merely borrowing it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats has figured out he can pull open the closet door when it's fully closed. But still, if we close it when he's in there, he'll be stuck inside the whole day.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We had to get child lock things for all our doors to keep them from being opened constantly.

Our bengal, Khan, has also now figured out the door flap to the catio.

Rexie has mastered coming back inside, but still doesn't realize she can also go out any time she wants.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love how clingy they get when I'm back from a trip.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

me: frees my cat from the prison she's been trapped in for hours

my cat, her eyes enormous: you INVADE my sanctuary? you violate my personal space? oh! oh! jail for father! jail for father for One Thousand Years!!

:hmmyes:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

floofyscorp posted:

same, but it's the hall-closet and it's because we used to keep the extra food there. we don't anymore (not after The Incident) but every time someone opens it a crack and forgets to close off the hallway Katya shoots inside with a speed almost undetectable by the human eye.

having two black cats they're semi-regularly locked in or out various rooms, in the dark they move like tiny furry ninja and are impossible to spot.

Miracle Mike
Sep 23, 2012

I talk too much
my two cats are adjusting to the new situation, they are not very used to people but they are starting to trust me a bit more every day. unfortunately one of them developed an infection in one eye and today I had to take her to the vet, so now she avoids me.... and tomorrow I'm supposed to give her antibiotics and eye drops.....I hope I'll manage without alienating her too much, lol

Miracle Mike
Sep 23, 2012

I talk too much

my cat is norris posted:

I love how clingy they get when I'm back from a trip.

wow that's a lot of cats, I want them all

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leave lots of soft blankets laying around the couch and you too can attract a lot of cats.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

xzzy posted:

Leave lots of soft blankets laying around the couch and you too can attract a lot of cats.

Can confirm. Nothing makes the furballs happier than blankets on everything.

Miracle Mike posted:

I hope I'll manage without alienating her too much, lol

They have pretty short memories for this kinda poo poo, make sure to give kitty treats anytime you have to do medicines and they'll learn to associate it and the reaction will trend towards "I HATE THIS but I'll put up with it".

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I am lucky enough to own a cat that is so food motivated that I can just feed him gross pills and he will eat them readily, even without treats.

On the other hand, I have to spray down my plants and cables once a week with bitter spray or else those get eaten just as readily...

Just look at this silly bastard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mistaya posted:

Can confirm. Nothing makes the furballs happier than blankets on everything.

For Christmas about 5 years ago I was given one of those Costco sherpas. After getting home I took it out of the packaging, and turned around and my cat was curled up on it. These days it's just referred to as "Dinah's Blankie"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fleece is a major cat magnet. It must remind them of their mom because every cat I've ever had loves making biscuits on fleece.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This is the most dignified cat I've seen in years, well done

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We keep 3 pet beds on the chaise and a medium-dog pillow on the floor. Every night, I have at least 2 cats curled up near me, often 3, and sometimes 4. Usually Young Boots spends a little bit on my chest too. Cats are the best :3:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are there any cat DNA testing things that are worth the money? My wife love that Ancestery.com stuff, and I was going to try to get her something like that for Christmas, but for our cats.

She posted one of our cats got posted to Reddit (I know), and she got like 560 upvotes. One of the comments was that our gray cat looks like she has some diluted Tortie or Callico in her given the peach color she has in some of her fur. I thought it might be fun to see exactly what kind of cats we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

IUG posted:

Are there any cat DNA testing things that are worth the money? My wife love that Ancestery.com stuff, and I was going to try to get her something like that for Christmas, but for our cats.

She posted one of our cats got posted to Reddit (I know), and she got like 560 upvotes. One of the comments was that our gray cat looks like she has some diluted Tortie or Callico in her given the peach color she has in some of her fur. I thought it might be fun to see exactly what kind of cats we have.

A quick Google points to basepaws.com and Wisdom Panel. I have no experience with either, though.