Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Do you have (or have access to) a VCDS cable? You should be able to log the wastegate duty cycle to help determine if it’s actually that part going wrong. There may be a test mode for it as well. Have you ruled out the N75 valve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

You're probably not going to be able to move it by hand even if it weren't seized.

Yeah I don't think you'd be able to manipulate a wastegate open like that OP.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Some dealers will do the diagnostic and submit a claim if you remove the tune first. Of course, corporate can still decide to decline the claim due to the tune but at least it's a shot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I will say its not uncommon for the wastegates to seize shut or open, so I would have it checked. To check it through, you'd need a vacuum pump to try to actuate the actuator

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Had an interesting week with the Seat. I picked up some sports stuff from home and the car cranked for a really long time and after starting up the EPC error light lit up. I tried if it would clear up after restart but it didn't and I saw I was leaving a small fluid leak behind me and I could smell gas inside the car.

After limping to the authorised independent shop (it was on the way to sport hall) I left the car there overnight. Googling "1.2 TSI fuel leak" led to Skoda owners forum where more than a few cars had the same symptoms:high pressure fuel rail screws fail and the rail bends and needs to be replaced. According to some documents in the forum the reason might be wrong torque specs from the factory or wrong screws.

Next morning I called the service and reported my findings/suspicions and they confirmed it on afternoon: gearbox side screws of the fuel rail had sheared off and it was leaking fuel into the engine bay. Fortunately the rail and o-rings could be overnighted so I would get the car running the same week. Service company also contacted the factory and local distributor to see if they would chip in for the repair.

The factory told us to GTFO but distributor agreed to pay for the repair bill which was a bit over 700 EUR. But apparently this is not recall worthy.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

So the parking brake in my gti has had the leather(?) accent bit start to come undone on the drivers side, I'd like to glue it back on but I think I'd like some feedback to how to better address this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So the parking brake in my gti has had the leather(?) accent bit start to come undone on the drivers side, I'd like to glue it back on but I think I'd like some feedback to how to better address this.

+

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VW thread has gotten weird, but I ain't gonna kinkshame.

It got under 50* here yesterday morning, so of course that means -- my left turn signal on the Passat started to fast blink. Somehow, it thinks the LF turn signal bulb is out, but it is not. I know that it's a connection or ground somewhere, but there's like 4000 grounding points on the loving thing.

The 3.6l VR6 absolutely rips and is fun to drive, but man, the rest of the car is a basket case.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I will say its not uncommon for the wastegates to seize shut or open, so I would have it checked. To check it through, you'd need a vacuum pump to try to actuate the actuator

As an update on this, I called VW last week and they're supposed to get back to me soon.

But over the weekend I cleared codes and applied some WD40 to the pivot point for the wastegate actuator and gave it plenty of drying time because its flammable, and I haven't seen the issue come up in the last few drives I've taken. It started out maybe around a month ago as something that would pop up sporadically and I could turn the engine off and back on again and it'd go away. But by the time I took it into the dealer that pretty much stopped working. So it's only been a couple of days, but it's noticeably much better. I have some nickel based anti-seize coming this week as a more permanent solution.

If VW calls me back and says I'm covered for a new turbo I probably wouldn't take them up on it unless the issue comes back.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If you get cleared for a new turbo I would take it. Normally when the wastegate actuator on these turbos starts acting up it also means the actual valve is starting to go as well, which basically means you need a new turbo anyway.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Contact cement is the usual go to for regluing leather but you might have to rip it the rest of the way off and clean it up first.

Speaking of paying brakes I had to replace the cables in my mk5 GTI one on the passenger side the other sheath completely rusted through. I just did both sides so I won't have to do the job ever again. Cue having to take the entire center console apart to get to the adjuster. Then being horrified at how much junk has gotten caught between/underneath it leads to deep detailing the whole interior.
Ultimately resulting in the battery go dead because I had the doors open scrubbing the poo poo out of everything for so long.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Contact cement is the usual go to for regluing leather but you might have to rip it the rest of the way off and clean it up first.

Speaking of paying brakes I had to replace the cables in my mk5 GTI one on the passenger side the other sheath completely rusted through. I just did both sides so I won't have to do the job ever again. Cue having to take the entire center console apart to get to the adjuster. Then being horrified at how much junk has gotten caught between/underneath it leads to deep detailing the whole interior.
Ultimately resulting in the battery go dead because I had the doors open scrubbing the poo poo out of everything for so long.

I'll give contact cement a try, I'll see if I can just make it work on that portion instead of peeling everything off first though. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd really go for cyanoacrylate over contact cement if it's something difficult to clamp properly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought a new Passat alltrack.

Really enjoying it, interior is a massive step up from my Tiguan - feels much closer to a luxury car than it does a mass market. Feels weird driving a normal car again, but cornering is so much more enjoyable.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Nice, enjoy it! I'm really happy with my Golf Alltrack. Just got the 10K mile service and ordered a set of winter tires for it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yeast posted:

Bought a new Passat alltrack.

Really enjoying it, interior is a massive step up from my Tiguan - feels much closer to a luxury car than it does a mass market. Feels weird driving a normal car again, but cornering is so much more enjoyable.

Car owns OP :thumbsup:

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Ok it can snow now. Very happy with the look even dropping down to 18" from the stock 19's, not nearly as obvious a size difference as I was expecting and looking forward to the extra half inch+ of side wall once things get blizzard-y.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I switched wheels and tires this week because the shop was doing a special where I got $25 if I scheduled it before November 1.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

DoesNotCompute posted:

Ok it can snow now. Very happy with the look even dropping down to 18" from the stock 19's, not nearly as obvious a size difference as I was expecting and looking forward to the extra half inch+ of side wall once things get blizzard-y.

18" are just right imo. My hot take is modern Audis are all sold with wheels 1" too big (or dealers all order them that way ).

You're a brave soul to choose those wheels to clean in the winter.

Just picked up some used S4 peelers for my winter set.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 2, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DoesNotCompute posted:

Those wheels are perfect.

And yeah, my Q7 came with 20s, and I absolutely hate it and want to drop down to 19s or 18s

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smooth jazz posted:

just don't clean em

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

Just picked up some used S4 peelers for my winter set.

My friend that used to own a detailing businesses was much less diplomatic about how they will be to keep clean. They’ll be a nightmare. Still love them though.

Peelers are a classic.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just purchased some removeable sun shades from Volkswagen (because after market parts seem to only sticky shades and things that don't fit well) and they're pretty cool. They fit well, easily removeable and easy to install. I thought about tinting my windows for a long time, but didn't want to deal with the possibility of cops giving me a ticket, or someone smashing my window and having to replace the tint. Overall a very expensive purchase, but very nice. I would high recommend them if you want the coverage, but don't want to tint the car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I always forget this thread exists, despite personally being a huge Audi idiot. Anyway, I posted these in the "post your own ride" thread, but here they are again because WHY NOT.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 5, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well my low effort potato photo looks like poo poo after your nice pics, but I put my winter wheel/tire set on the Alltrack and found some VW center hub caps that fit.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Tyro posted:

Well my low effort potato photo looks like poo poo after your nice pics, but I put my winter wheel/tire set on the Alltrack and found some VW center hub caps that fit.

don't sweat it, I just have a newer potato

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Did a car show at the end of October, got my friend to bring his red S4 and his friend brought his black UrQuattro

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tyro posted:

You got a link to those caps?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

DropShadow posted:

I always forget this thread exists, despite personally being a huge Audi idiot. Anyway, I posted these in the "post your own ride" thread, but here they are again because WHY NOT.

Holy gently caress I love this

Good content on this page all around

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

nitsuga posted:

You got a link to those caps?

They're a VW part, I had local dealer order them and picked them up at the parts desk. It was something like $40+tax for all four. I found them online too from a few places but most were priced as high if not higher than my local dealer.

Part # 5n0071456xrw

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Did a car show at the end of October, got my friend to bring his red S4 and his friend brought his black UrQuattro

urS4 still looks good 30 years later...

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm a baddie who only dropped to 19"s for Christmas winter this year.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tyro posted:

They're a VW part, I had local dealer order them and picked them up at the parts desk. It was something like $40+tax for all four. I found them online too from a few places but most were priced as high if not higher than my local dealer.

Part # 5n0071456xrw

Danke! Looks like VW's cribbing the Crown Vic look with those.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

quote:

We’re reaching out today to inform you of an upcoming change to VW Car-Net services. AT&T, the wireless telecommunication network associated with VW Car-Net services has informed us of its decision to discontinue 3G wireless service in the U.S. starting February 22nd, 2022 as part of its network technology upgrade cycle.

This means that your 2016 VolkswagenGOLF R DCC/NAV 4D AUTO will no longer be able to transmit or receive data. If you have an active VW Car-Net Security & Service subscription, it will not extend past January 31, 2022.

The audacity! :o:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Meanwhile, the body components of my MK2 Jetta will give up the ghost long before the Blaupunkt tape deck - the one I can physically remove from the DIN slot of the dash with a dedicated handle - will cease to function. Suck it, new tech!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been posting in a lot of threads but I’m thinking about taking a ridiculous Carvana offer on my Forester and getting an older wagon, preferably a BMW or Audi manual. This popped up on BaT in my state, anybody have any hard opinions?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-audi-a4-24/

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’ve been posting in a lot of threads but I’m thinking about taking a ridiculous Carvana offer on my Forester and getting an older wagon, preferably a BMW or Audi manual. This popped up on BaT in my state, anybody have any hard opinions?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-audi-a4-24/

As someone who makes bad choices without any kind of forethought, do it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My first car had that engine, that’s great millage and other than some standard issues like cam follower, fuel pump, etc it was great. Also earlier this year I did basically the exact same thing, sold my mazda3, bought a manual 2011 BMW 328 wagon on BAT. So another vote for hell ya do it.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!

Tyro posted:

Hey I got those too! I rattlecanned my steelies white last year for fun and I really like them, the caps really set them off. They are already rusting through this year, so I will probably get them painted or powdercoated properly next summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

TheBacon posted:

My first car had that engine, that’s great millage and other than some standard issues like cam follower, fuel pump, etc it was great. Also earlier this year I did basically the exact same thing, sold my mazda3, bought a manual 2011 BMW 328 wagon on BAT. So another vote for hell ya do it.

It’s still at 13.5k and it’s a 2 hour drive away.

If other don’t bid last second I think I’m gonna do it!