Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Buffer posted:

It's ok in the same sense that complaining about pants/shoes/shirt requirements is ok.

It's a thing you can do, but it's not very adult and it associates you with the bargaining with a force of nature crowd.

Depends on the context of the "complaint." When it's a side note in a thread discussing covid, directed at no one in particular that feels like a reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Glad to see the 5-11 authorized. Was there any updated timeline for 2+?

It's not authorized yet. Vote of the CDC's recommendation board happens this afternoon and then a EUA needs to be issued. With past EUAs, that will happen tomorrow and it will take pharmacies an additional day to distribute guidance, though that timing might be different here because the formulation itself is different.

Pfizer in their earnings report today says they expect to apply for a EUA for 2+ in the first half of 2022.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

p much everybody knows the lay of the land now...since like last summer it's been every goon for themselves, someone wants to return to normal okay whatever, not like you'll change their mind especially if they post here and aren't totally clueless about the risks, same as how nobody's gonna get talked out of being respirator crew at this point. What can ya do

It's probably almost certainly true that the biggest risk when flying is at the airport itself, though if a study has been done on it that wasn't performed by the airlines themselves I'd like to see it. Ya bars and restaurants and stuff are probably worse but the thing to keep in mind is that airports also have a bunch of those. If ventilation on an airplane wasn't extremely good nobody would want to fly, but that probably all goes out the window if the person next to you is noncompliant and coughing all over you. Hell you used to be able to smoke on airplanes

Yeah, this is my feel as well. Excoriating people for their individual choices about covid is about as useful as doing it for climate change. The institutions have failed us and individual action isn't going to save us. If there's young, healthy, (lmao goons) vaccinated people in here who are engaging in behaviors you personally find risky, there's no real need to drag them for it, unless they're insisting that everyone else do the same. And frankly, if folks feel like this is the "lovely" covid thread, then you're free not to participate in it. As far as I'm concerned, quantity of posts and speed of a given thread does not equate to quality, so I'm not going to worry about only 5 posts in a day or whatever, that's probably a good thing for most folks' mental health anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Glad to see the 5-11 authorized. Was there any updated timeline for 2+?

Supposedly a few more months, but that's according to Pfizer's CEO in this article from late September in The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/09/pfizer-ceo-vaccine-young-children-2-4/620236/

fosborb posted:

It's not authorized yet. Vote of the CDC's recommendation board happens this afternoon and then a EUA needs to be issued. With past EUAs, that will happen tomorrow and it will take pharmacies an additional day to distribute guidance, though that timing might be different here because the formulation itself is different.

Pfizer in their earnings report today says they expect to apply for a EUA for 2+ in the first half of 2022.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, this is my feel as well. Excoriating people for their individual choices about covid is about as useful as doing it for climate change. The institutions have failed us and individual action isn't going to save us.

I think the idea is to encourage a mass movement outside existing institutions, this is kind of the lynchpin of leftist thought and can't be merely rejected as "individual action" just because there's no CDC stamp on it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fosborb posted:

my daughter will age into the 5+ category before they get around to an EUA

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poll plane variant posted:

I think the idea is to encourage a mass movement outside existing institutions, this is kind of the lynchpin of leftist thought and can't be merely rejected as "individual action" just because there's no CDC stamp on it.

On a forum with something like 200k "unique" users (and how many of those are whackadoo alts)? I'm still only leaving the house for essential things like groceries and such, but I don't have any illusions that my posting here is going to do anything about it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There's no normal without a zero covid policy because of what any significant community spread does to the hospitals even at high vaxx (Singapore).

Zero covid is a total fantasy for the vast majority of the world now. The horse has left the barn, and especially now with Delta, it ain't going back in.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Please don’t respond to Poll Plane fakeposts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fosborb posted:

First half, uggghhh. Seems to keep getting pushed back. Before it was only a month behind 5-11. Sucks, especially for the holidays.

My teenagers have all been vaccinated and I’ll be glad when my anxiety over my 2.5yo twins will finally be eligible.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Slow News Day posted:

Zero covid is a total fantasy for the vast majority of the world now. The horse has left the barn, and especially now with Delta, it ain't going back in.

I mean what's the other option? We live with actual megadeaths and a cavalcade of escalating variants?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I mean what's the other option? We live with actual megadeaths and a cavalcade of escalating variants?

We vaccinate everybody and get on with our lives the best we can.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

But right now what we're seeing is even with near-full vaccination there is no functional continuation of many aspects of society.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

But right now what we're seeing is even with near-full vaccination there is no functional continuation of many aspects of society.

No? Things seem like they're carrying on pretty well to me. Any examples in particular that you have to highlight your perspective?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Internationally things seem mixed at best, but I don't know how anyone can look at the strain on the US Healthcare system and be thinking "where's the off ramp on masks?"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

How are u posted:

Not a single country that has pursued a vaccine strategy has succeeded at it. Not even Israel--they got down to a low of 9 cases a day in the summer and then delta hit and they've only now come down from 1k+ cases a day.

That only country that has controlled this thing has done it with a combo of vaccines and other mitigations. At this point, two years and on course for one million deaths (both of which were things this thread and the one before vehemently argued would never happen) we have to admit the vaccine only strategy in the US is a failure. Continuing to pursue it at the exclusion of other measures will lead to more death, and particularly more deaths of vulnerable people and minorities.

It's easy to flippantly say, "we just have to live with the deaths and do the best we can" but the reality of that statement is that we're going to throw 4-10% more people of color into the COVID shredder than white folks. That's borderline a genocide, folks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

How are u posted:

No? Things seem like they're carrying on pretty well to me. Any examples in particular that you have to highlight your perspective?

4-10% more people of color dying... "pretty well" eh? Get your head out of the sand.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
IK Update: OP has had a minor update; added FDA link to Pfizer approval for kids 5-11, and trimmed some old news.

Also, the CDC advisory panel is live here for anyone who wants to watch: https://video.ibm.com/channel/VWBXKBR8af4

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Solving COVID is so loving easy its pathetic.

1) Issue national ID
2) Mobilize full defense apparatus to force all population into residential facilities.
3)Assault alternative sources of authority/religion, also anti-soul demonstrative acts

Within a month you will have COVID zero and a functional Republic

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

1) Issue national ID
2) Mobilize full defense apparatus to force all population into residential facilities.
3)Assault alternative sources of authority/religion, also anti-soul demonstrative acts

Define functional republic...

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

Humans living fully for the betterment of the community and the fulfillment of humanities potential, complete devotion to the common betterment of all and virtuous government

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

Humans living fully for the betterment of the community and the fulfillment of humanities potential, complete devotion to the common betterment of all and virtuous government

Sounds easy enough, I don't understand why people haven't done it sooner.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

How are u posted:

Sounds easy enough, I don't understand why people haven't done it sooner.

They've gotten close! Takes a lot to eliminate bad thought patterns of the masses. Need to have 70 years of societal CBT

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

Our healthcare system is basically collapsing from the length and acuity of covid illness and the labor shortage caused by the misery of dealing with it. We have a labor crisis in pretty much every covid-risk sector, for that matter. We're losing teachers, we're losing retail workers, logistics workers, agricultural workers, etc at unimaginable rates to illness, death, covid care, childcare, etc etc. Supply chains are breaking down on a huge scale. Nothing looks remotely normal unless you're a rich or childless homer, which unfortunately describes most internet posters, thinkpiece writers, etc.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Ok I don't believe the ever encroaching insurgency the military quarantine and media crackdown will encourage will lead to any amount of virtuous government.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

Ok I don't believe the ever encroaching insurgency the military quarantine and media crackdown will encourage will lead to any amount of virtuous government.

idk if you know this but this doesnt really need to be an issue lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucle...0dismantlement.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Bel Shazar posted:

Cambodia, 1975-1979.

My tongue is firmly in my cheek, but in the absence of a straight answer from the OP his prescribed actions aren't that far off.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Vasukhani posted:

1) Issue national ID

this is from an anime isn't it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Alctel posted:

this is from an anime isn't it

I think it's Pacific Rim.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"Attack and dethrone god" is my preferred political stance.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

I think it's Pacific Rim.

I mean, who doesn't want to live in a world where giant robots battle monsters from another dimension?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I mean, who doesn't want to live in a world where giant robots battle monsters from another dimension?

"Nothing to do now, the monsters have become endemic :shrug:"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How are u posted:

The US is still seeing thousands of deaths a day, aren't we?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

alg posted:

The US is still seeing thousands of deaths a day, aren't we?

Looks like today across the USA we had 1,153 deaths, and the 7 day average is 1,309.

Sad. Get vaccinated, folks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man...my shoulder hurts.

Can someone explain why this third Moderna half-shot is so painful? There's even a small amount of swelling around the injection site.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Man...my shoulder hurts.

Can someone explain why this third Moderna half-shot is so painful? There's even a small amount of swelling around the injection site.

The way it was explained to me is that it's almost entirely tissue damage, so things like how skilled the nurse/doctor is, and the diameter of the needle, matter. When I got my first shot I didn't even feel the needle, and I wasn't looking so when the nurse said "OK you're done!" I did a double take. The second shot though was administered by a different nurse and my shoulder was sore for a day or two.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I'm seeing pictures on Twitter (from newspapers or tv channels, to be clear) of vaccines for the 5-11 age group arriving at hospitals, even though the EUA isn't out yet. For some reason this particular part of the wait is worse than most of the rest of the wait to get my (6-year-old, 9-year-old) sons vaccinated, because it's so close, I can't hurry it any, and I can't even make them an appointment at their pediatrician's office until that office's delivery of vaccines has shown up.

(This part of the wait is not as bad as when the trials were still accepting new participants, because my 9-year-old kept asking me to check if there was a trial he could be in, and having to tell him no was very frustrating.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The way it was explained to me is that it's almost entirely tissue damage, so things like how skilled the nurse/doctor is, and the diameter of the needle, matter. When I got my first shot I didn't even feel the needle, and I wasn't looking so when the nurse said "OK you're done!" I did a double take. The second shot though was administered by a different nurse and my shoulder was sore for a day or two.

Ah. The woman who did my shot did it in a different way than I've ever had before. It didn't hurt when she did it, but her technique was kinda strange. She kept squeezing the area before and during the shot. I guess to try to make a piddly little shot not hurt or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

zonohedron posted:

I'm seeing pictures on Twitter (from newspapers or tv channels, to be clear) of vaccines for the 5-11 age group arriving at hospitals, even though the EUA isn't out yet. For some reason this particular part of the wait is worse than most of the rest of the wait to get my (6-year-old, 9-year-old) sons vaccinated, because it's so close, I can't hurry it any, and I can't even make them an appointment at their pediatrician's office until that office's delivery of vaccines has shown up.

(This part of the wait is not as bad as when the trials were still accepting new participants, because my 9-year-old kept asking me to check if there was a trial he could be in, and having to tell him no was very frustrating.)

When the FDA approved it, they estimated that we could be getting shots in arms of kids 5 and up as early as next week iirc, so hang in there. I haven't been watching the CDC advisory panel going on today but we should have news coming out of that shortly and they were expected to essentially rubber stamp it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Not a single country that has pursued a vaccine strategy has succeeded at it. Not even Israel--they got down to a low of 9 cases a day in the summer and then delta hit and they've only now come down from 1k+ cases a day.

Having spikes in case numbers don't matter like they used to if the vast bulk of your population is vaccinated and thus insulated from hospitalisation and death.

I'm not pleased about the new reality in which (even in a well-vaccinated society, sorry about you, America) we're going to be seeing 3-4 times the excess death as we would from the flu, and most of us are going to catch an unpleasant virus every year or so. But what's your alternative? We all remain in lockdown for another two years - or five years, or ten years - endlessly chasing the impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

When the FDA approved it, they estimated that we could be getting shots in arms of kids 5 and up as early as next week iirc, so hang in there. I haven't been watching the CDC advisory panel going on today but we should have news coming out of that shortly and they were expected to essentially rubber stamp it.

The advisory panel did approve it earlier today:
https://twitter.com/ENirenberg/status/1455641804833972232

But the director still has to sign off on their (unanimous) approval:
https://twitter.com/ENirenberg/status/1455642841229713412

Both tweets from this thread, which livetweeted the whole meeting:
https://twitter.com/ENirenberg/status/1455550672338919434