Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I much prefer the philosophy in Mass Effect. Everyone stumbled across the Mass Relays by accident, so tracking down non-rear end in a top hat species so you can tell them about all this cool FTL junk you found lying around is actually viewed as a moral prerogative.

Edit: Mass Effect wears its influences proudly on its sleeve, so I always assumed that was specifically included because Casey Hudson was Mad About Star Trek.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Very vocal cats are only cute they aren't yours. Living with one is a constant barrage of horrible screeches at all hours of day and night. Everyone tells me they love vocal cats but inevitably they have 0 or quiet cats.

I love you kitty but SHUT UP

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If it turned out that the government really was putting chemicals in the water to make people sterile and/or gay, I don't think I'd be too upset about that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

alexandriao posted:

Pretty sure TNG and DS9 had gay/bisexual characters. I know for a fact the actor who played Garak explicitly played Bashir and Garak's first scene as if Garak was hitting on Bashir.

Like, sure, a form of media cannot exist divorced from the cultural context it exists within, and any executive producers, producers, or anyone higher up in the chain can randomly jam their fingers in the pie and say "nope, we dont want to make audiences unhappy", but that doesn't impinge on the fact that the show, and the core group of people working on the show, at least tried. They at least made an effort. It might not pass by modern standards but for the time it was on the upper scale of "good" wrt. progressive ideas -- look at the (short lived, thanks to the executives) Skant design, for one.

Also even today, TNG has some of the most optimistic and comfy vibes I've ever seen in a science fiction show. Probably mostly the colour schemes and visual design but even when their ship is exploding, there is a comfortable and hopeful vibe about it.

Somehow they got watchable drama and didn't have people screaming "oh my god we're all going to die!!", or breaking down into tears, or screaming and throwing things around like toddlers. Makes me wonder how good a modern show that tried to do that would be.

What I want to know is which Star Trek characters were gay.

They’re all gay.

Even the straights?

especially the straights

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Very vocal cats are only cute they aren't yours. Living with one is a constant barrage of horrible screeches at all hours of day and night. Everyone tells me they love vocal cats but inevitably they have 0 or quiet cats.

Look up videos of people's fennec fox pets if you want to see something adorable that you'd never actually want to own because of the noise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
No matter how many times I've seen people earnestly try and explain them, there is no logical explanation for why NFTs have any value. Like most things related to crypto it's just another market for scammers to exploit. It doesn't help when the most ardent NFT defenders are people who own a lot of them and depend on people seeing them as legitimate things that make sense to buy to be able to recoup on their "investment".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My parents' cat is extremely vocal but it's weirdly conversational and very cute. The Siamese I live with just screams willy nilly and it's obnoxious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guyver posted:

Look up videos of people's fennec fox pets if you want to see something adorable that you'd never actually want to own because of the noise.

or

or

or

Birds.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

yeah I eat rear end posted:

No matter how many times I've seen people earnestly try and explain them, there is no logical explanation for why NFTs have any value. Like most things related to crypto it's just another market for scammers to exploit. It doesn't help when the most ardent NFT defenders are people who own a lot of them and depend on people seeing them as legitimate things that make sense to buy to be able to recoup on their "investment".

its ponzi scheme fomo, thats where the value comes from

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

oldpainless posted:

What I want to know is which Star Trek characters were gay.

They’re all gay.

Even the straights?

especially the straights

They're all in the (space) navy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dark Horse is the worst manga publisher in the West. They let popular stuff fall out of print for years and license series just to give up on them.

They haven't even solicited the fourth volume of Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles yet. Is it a Covid-related delay, or have they decided to stop releasing volumes of that series? With Dark Horse, both are possible.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PHUO: Saying "tens" of something just sounds weird. Using "dozens" covers the same general numerical range and sounds less awkward.

As in, "there are dozens of geese up there" vs "there are tens of geese up there".

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Powered Descent posted:

PHUO: Saying "tens" of something just sounds weird. Using "dozens" covers the same general numerical range and sounds less awkward.

As in, "there are dozens of geese up there" vs "there are tens of geese up there".

For every ant you see outside, there are tens of thousands you don’t.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

There are scores of people with this opinion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There should be a movement to re-Germanify america. The single biggest immigrant group in America, and that entire identity was destroyed by WW1. Bring it back, change the names back, biergartens on every block, more tubas, uncover the German history of America.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pretzel? More like Brezel. Idiots.

I'm with gripweed, but swabian only. We don't need loving preisch in our country.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The German immigrants to America were overwhelmingly left wing and abolitionist. Americans of German descent should be proud of their heritage! It's one of the few cases where a European country sent their good ones to America.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Gripweed posted:

The German immigrants to America were overwhelmingly left wing and abolitionist. Americans of German descent should be proud of their heritage! It's one of the few cases where a European country sent their good ones to America.

Until post-ww2 where like, half a million German PoWs came over and......

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm entirely alsatian jew except my dad's dad, who came directly from being malgré-nous wehrmacht soldier to Chicago. I have a lot of questions that I really don't want to know the answers to.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: There probably needs to be some talk and action on how to deal with surplus men in modern times, but that talk is forever poisoned after incels got access to the internet

That is a problem most populations have had to deal with in some way because the men on the losing end of that equation are the main targets for radicalization and other bad propaganda

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: There probably needs to be some talk and action on how to deal with surplus men in modern times, but that talk is forever poisoned after incels got access to the internet

That is a problem most populations have had to deal with in some way because the men on the losing end of that equation are the main targets for radicalization and other bad propaganda

You mean unmarried men? Or just the extra dudes we have lying around? Because the military and wars have generally been what we use to cull men. Well, that and heart disease but that takes like forever.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Robobot posted:

You mean unmarried men? Or just the extra dudes we have lying around? Because the military and wars have generally been what we use to cull men. Well, that and heart disease but that takes like forever.

Yeah war is the big one, but modern warfare is too safe and seldom to have the intended culling effect (at least for members of the superpower side). Plus most militaries are volunteer forces which defeats the point

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah war is the big one, but modern warfare is too safe and seldom to have the intended culling effect (at least for members of the superpower side). Plus most militaries are volunteer forces which defeats the point

Hmmm. Maybe some sort of death games? Like unmarried men from the ages of 24 to 55 have to register for physical combat duties and if your number gets picked you’re off to the Blood Dome where dreams are made and broken and the winner each season is gifted with exemption from the next two seasons.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Robobot posted:

Hmmm. Maybe some sort of death games? Like unmarried men from the ages of 24 to 55 have to register for physical combat duties and if your number gets picked you’re off to the Blood Dome where dreams are made and broken and the winner each season is gifted with exemption from the next two seasons.

Part of the New Deal was shipping a bunch of guys off to the middle of nowhere to dig a canal or build a dam or something. We could do that again right now, hire thousands of men and send them off to build solar power plants or dismantle dams or other stuff that needs doing. After a couple months they come home with a fresh tan and some cash in their pocket

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How are we judging which dudes are excess? For example I live with a girlfriend, but am one of the dumbest most useless fuckers on the planet. Do I stay or join the ball games?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Dark Horse is the worst manga publisher in the West. They let popular stuff fall out of print for years and license series just to give up on them.

They haven't even solicited the fourth volume of Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles yet. Is it a Covid-related delay, or have they decided to stop releasing volumes of that series? With Dark Horse, both are possible.

Dark Horse loving sucks. They’ve only released six volumes of Mob Psycho 100 in the years they’ve had it. If Viz had the title, it would be done by now. The third season of the anime was just announced for christs sake!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How are we judging which dudes are excess? For example I live with a girlfriend, but am one of the dumbest most useless fuckers on the planet. Do I stay or join the ball games?

Are you an unwed male from the ages of 24 to 55? Then off to the Blood Dome with you! I believe this season is Chainsaw Forest (you’re issued a baseball bat and have to eliminate the other players while navigating trees made of chainsaws), so you’re pretty lucky. Better than Grizzly Bear Boxing by a long shot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Robobot posted:

Are you an unwed male from the ages of 24 to 55? Then off to the Blood Dome with you! I believe this season is Chainsaw Forest (you’re issued a baseball bat and have to eliminate the other players while navigating trees made of chainsaws), so you’re pretty lucky. Better than Grizzly Bear Boxing by a long shot.

Uh-oh, is that a draft I'm hearing?

"Sarge, I'm only eighteen, I got a ruptured spleen
And I always carry a purse
I've got eyes like a bat and my feet are flat
My asthma's getting worse"
"Yes, think of my career, my sweetheart dear
And my poor old invalid aunt
Besides, I ain't no fool, I'm a-goin' to school
And I'm working in a defense plant"
"I've got a dislocated disc and a wracked up back
I'm allergic to flowers and bugs
And when the bombshell hits, I get epileptic fits
And I'm addicted to a thousand drugs"
"I got the weakness woes, I can't touch my toes
I can hardly reach my knees
And if the enemy came close to me
I'd probably start to sneeze"

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Unsolicited advice is bad advice. If a person doesn't ask me what I think, there's probably a reason, and even if there isn't, I've got no reason to think I understand their situation and motivations and so on. I mind my own business unless someone asks and I dream of a world where others do the same :mad:

And Dark Souls 3 is the weakest soulsborne game.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Until post-ww2 where like, half a million German PoWs came over and......

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Cant we just make the incels gay and have them do eachother

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Collapsing Farts posted:

Cant we just make the incels gay and have them do eachother

we're working on that

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't care if you can make meth I should be able to buy enough pseudoephedrine at one time that I don't have to go back to a walgreens for a year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guyver posted:

I don't care if you can make meth I should be able to buy enough pseudoephedrine at one time that I don't have to go back to a walgreens for a year.

The thing I miss most about Canada is otc pseudoephedrine in poo poo like advil. US decongestants do gently caress all for me. It's like, you think it's the same medicine, same brand name and all, but nope, the useful part is just not in the US version.

e: phuo: Texas is better than California.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Nov 3, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

According to most of my family, Texas is going to get ruined because all the Californians that ruined their state are going to ruin Texas the same way.

Edit:
It should be noted that none of my family lives in either Texas or California.

Robobot has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Nov 3, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There are loads of californians in Texas.

They are all people who want to kiss Ted Cruz on the lips and call their homeland Commiefornia. We do not want them. We have enough fascists please go back to Orange County. Take off that hat you don't even know how to ride a horse.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Nov 3, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Texas is generally fine. California was a total mistake, an entire state filled with the dumbest most hypocritical people possible.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are loads of californians in Texas.

They are all people who want to kiss Ted Cruz on the lips and call their homeland Commiefornia. We do not want them. We have enough fascists please go back to Orange County. Take off that hat you don't even know how to ride a horse.

Gaius Marius posted:

Texas is generally fine. California was a total mistake, an entire state filled with the dumbest most hypocritical people possible.

Most people in California don't really care about Texas. When I visited Texas for the first time I was a bit taken aback by being treated like I played for the rival team.

Good BBQ though.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Nov 3, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Most people in California don't really care about Texas. When I visited for the first time I was a bit taken aback by being treated like I played for the rival team.

Good BBQ though.

Most people in Texas don't care about California, but the ones that move here are the ones I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most people in Texas don't care about California, but the ones that move here are the ones I'm talking about.

I caught quite a bit of poo poo about being from CA, like I said I was taken a bit aback. Maybe it was due to being in Fort Worth?