Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Pillowpants posted:

hello!

I’m totally demoralized.

I’ve applied for basically every open job in my field…in the entire United States….since may.

It’s me. I can’t sell myself. gently caress

There's been a pretty serious problem with handing off hiring to AI in the last few years as a cost cutting measure. It's very possible that no one has seen your app. The default setting automatically dumpsters tons of applications for not meeting parameters set by people who frequently don't understand how the hiring software even works.

The trick I've heard passed around some circles is to copy the entirety of the posted job requirements, turn its text to white so it matches the white of the page background and stick it in a blank space below your resume. That way you trigger the keywords that are found in the job requirements and so you can get your application in front of an actual person.

What is in front of a lot of people right now are poorly made AI that are largely managed by poorly trained people. Do whatever you have to do to get your application in front of a real person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thou shalt not make a machine in the image of a human mind

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

:siren:Just wanted to stop by with a little PSA this evening :siren:

As we get closer towards this year's holiday season - I anticipate this thread getting a little busier than usual.

With that, I wanted to extend a giant 'thank you' to those who have had the courage to post and share their struggles here as well as to those who happen to lend a shoulder to lean on.

If this thread happens to be the one time you are able to get things off your chest during the day, so be it. Someone is always willing to listen.

Be safe goons :fedora:

Josherino has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Nov 1, 2021

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I was in the goon support discord but accidentally left when I was leaving a bunch of servers I didn't participate on. Can anyone PM me the invite so I can rejoin you?

Also, just over 3 weeks ago I quit drinking and got professional help. A week of Detox and a few weeks into an outpatient rehab program, I'm feeling better than I have in years and am nothing but positive and optimistic looking forward. If anyone wants to chat in this thread, via DM, or elsewhere regarding overcoming addiction, I've gone from ~20 years of drinking moderately, to heavily, to excessively, to completely sober, and while I'm still on the recovery path I feel really good and optimistic and would be happy to give some advice and every kind of reassurance to anyone who has been through the same thing and needs someone to talk to.
I'm coming up on 6 months sober, I left my old job where I never realized how miserable working there made me until it was behind me, and since then I've been able to go off my antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds because I just don't need them anymore (still seeing my psychiatrist and therapist/addiction counselor, and I'm sticking with my addiction recovery program). I lost 15 pounds and I'm down to the lowest does of my blood pressure and blood sugar medication and probably won't need them much longer since I'm much healthier than I've been in most of my adult life. Everything can get better, and for anyone struggling or going through tough times, I hope things get better for you, too.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

I'm coming up on 6 months sober, I left my old job where I never realized how miserable working there made me until it was behind me, and since then I've been able to go off my antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds because I just don't need them anymore (still seeing my psychiatrist and therapist/addiction counselor, and I'm sticking with my addiction recovery program). I lost 15 pounds and I'm down to the lowest does of my blood pressure and blood sugar medication and probably won't need them much longer since I'm much healthier than I've been in most of my adult life. Everything can get better, and for anyone struggling or going through tough times, I hope things get better for you, too.

This made my morning. Congrats!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
i really dont care about stuff

least stressed ive been in years

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

i really dont care about stuff

least stressed ive been in years

i actually like caring about stuff

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Jorge Bell posted:

i actually like caring about stuff

prob

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
Well finally found someone who can help me. It's been rough. I broke my toe about a month ago at this point and it keeps getting worse to where Ive been in blackout pain multiple times. Had blood drained from it already but multiple visits to both my GP and the ER have essentially ended in me being told to go gently caress myself despite the fact I've been begging anyone to help me. Got treated like a junkie or a faker repeatedly. On antibiotics now that they finally realized that my toe is not ok and I was given a referral to a podiatrist who can't see me for over a month.

Fortunately I found another podiatrist who can actually see me before I'm driven to utter madness by this endless pain. Made the appointment for Thursday. I hope someone can finally fix this, or at the very least act like they give a poo poo.

I also finally found a councillor to help me. I don't know if they're psychologists or psychiatrists or what but they are the only one in three counties I found who will take new patients, although that could be because I was on the verge of tears when I left the voicemail for them. This situation had left me having panic attacks so bad I've also been hospitalized. Doc didn't seem to give much of a poo poo and just handed me a script for lorazepam because he had a meeting to get to. Unfortunately I'm rather afraid to take the lorazepam because I also have to take hydrocodone for my toe and apparently the two do not mix well.

Situation with mom is maybe a little better because I was finally, after weeks of calls, able to get her doctor and psychiatrist to link up so her meds are straightened out. However my own condition means I really can't care for mom anymore.

We had a consult with home health people and I'm going to sign the contract. We can afford it. Only just, but if we don't make this work I feel like I'm actually going to die. Mom doesn't like it but I have power of attorney and I do not give a poo poo anymore.

So I guess there's some hope for the future but good god why so I have to fight this loving hard just to get anyone to even accept money to help? I'm so loving tired. Just psychologically and physically drained.

CaptainACAB has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Nov 2, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, I need to vent for a bit

So for background since I've been posting in this thread off and on for a while now:

I've worked for the court my whole adult life. For about six years I was living in my hometown in rural NC where I worked as a judicial official. The work itself was boring and lovely but I barely had to do anything; a significant amount of it was spent on-call so I only had to go do anything when I was actually needed, which was usually only a couple hours of work a day and only on days when I was scheduled to work. The pay was also great for the area, mostly because it was so cheap to live there; like I had a two bedroom apartment to myself and had no problem saving money.

The problem was there was literally no dating scene at all, which is unsurprising in a graying rural town in the bible belt, but is also not ideal when you're in your 20s. So a friend of mine who lives here in Seattle recommended a court clerk job posting to me, and I ended up getting hired.

The problem is I really hate the work, mostly because it primarily involves staring at my phone when I can get away with it and waiting for the day to be over so I can go home; there's very little work to do most days and what work I do have is not engaging in the slightest. And I'm not even dating, which was the actual reason I moved in the first place, partly because of COVID, but mostly because of other reasons that are better discussed with a therapist. And along with that, I'm having a much worse reaction to being so far away from everyone I've ever met than I was expecting.

I've thought about seeing if there's an opening at my old job (I'm sure there will be before too long one way or another) and just moving back, but there's a couple problems with that; first is that it would make me feel like a real piece of poo poo for wanting to leave for so long and then going right back, and second is that I started streaming regularly since I moved here, and I really enjoy it. I wouldn't be able to keep doing that in my hometown because the internet there is complete poo poo, and I feel like I've had to give up enough things in my life due to lack of talent, dedication, or opportunity already. I could just move somewhere back east and be closer to my friends and family, but I'd likely still have to be Professionally Bored all day.

None of these are great solutions and part of that is because I've just kind of given up on being actually satisfied with my life at all. I don't even have a lot of the significant familial or health problems a lot of people in here have, but Christ, I just wish I could figure out what to do with my life

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

CaptainACAB posted:

Well finally found someone who can help me. It's been rough. I broke my toe about a month ago at this point and it keeps getting worse to where Ive been in blackout pain multiple times. Had blood drained from it already but multiple visits to both my GP and the ER have essentially ended in me being told to go gently caress myself despite the fact I've been begging anyone to help me. Got treated like a junkie or a faker repeatedly. On antibiotics now that they finally realized that my toe is not ok and I was given a referral to a podiatrist who can't see me for over a month.

Fortunately I found another podiatrist who can actually see me before I'm driven to utter madness by this endless pain. Made the appointment for Thursday. I hope someone can finally fix this, or at the very least act like they give a poo poo.

I also finally found a councillor to help me. I don't know if they're psychologists or psychiatrists or what but they are the only one in three counties I found who will take new patients, although that could be because I was on the verge of tears when I left the voicemail for them. This situation had left me having panic attacks so bad I've also been hospitalized. Doc didn't seem to give much of a poo poo and just handed me a script for lorazepam because he had a meeting to get to. Unfortunately I'm rather afraid to take the lorazepam because I also have to take hydrocodone for my toe and apparently the two do not mix well.

Situation with mom is maybe a little better because I was finally, after weeks of calls, able to get her doctor and psychiatrist to link up so her meds are straightened out. However my own condition means I really can't care for mom anymore.

We had a consult with home health people and I'm going to sign the contract. We can afford it. Only just, but if we don't make this work I feel like I'm actually going to die. Mom doesn't like it but I have power of attorney and I do not give a poo poo anymore.

So I guess there's some hope for the future but good god why so I have to fight this loving hard just to get anyone to even accept money to help? I'm so loving tired. Just psychologically and physically drained.

It sounds like you're making progress on stuff that's going to improve your quality of life! That's a big deal and a really good thing, congratulations. Dealing with home health care stuff is scary and can be hard emotionally but you are making the right call here, even if you can make the time and give the effort it is actively harmful to have to do the things that requires for a parent.

DoubleDonut posted:

None of these are great solutions and part of that is because I've just kind of given up on being actually satisfied with my life at all. I don't even have a lot of the significant familial or health problems a lot of people in here have, but Christ, I just wish I could figure out what to do with my life

That sucks!

Jorge Bell has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Nov 3, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

CaptainACAB posted:

I'm glad to hear from you again. That sounds absolutely hellish. It's infuriating to hear about people's medical concerns not being taken seriously by medical professionals. I recently read this article, and it seems relevant to this thread. I remember going to an ER because I thought I might be experiencing a potentially deadly reaction to my medication. My psychiatrist had advised me to go straight to urgent care or the ER if I experienced certain symptoms, so that's what I did. I mentioned my thoughts of suicide during my intake evaluation, and that's all they heard. No one seemed to acknowledge or even know why I checked in. I was on the verge of getting kicked out of my university. I would have been supremely hosed if that happened, as I would have lost my health insurance. I was working my rear end off to get through my mental health crisis by going to therapy, psychiatry, support groups, an intensive outpatient program, something like 8 exercise classes a week, volunteering, and managing a full-time schedule as an undergrad. It was overkill, and may have been detrimental to do so much at once. I was desperate, though.

Even after all of the work I put into my recovery, no one at the ER would even loving believe that I was trying to take care of myself. They thought their job ended at keeping me under "observation" so I didn't hurt myself, and completely ignored any concerns I raised. I was basically parked in a corner on a gurney all afternoon and all night. In the morning, they decided I wasn't going to hurt myself. They released me, and advised me to come back "if I was feeling suicidal again." I'm very lucky that I wasn't actually experiencing the reaction to medication that I thought I was. Without swift treatment, it can lead to permanent disability or death. I remember a nurse making a flippant comment about how they needed to make sure I wasn't on meth before I could even be looked at. It felt like mental health patients at the facility were treated as children to be talked down to, chastised, and babysat until they could send us on our way. I now know that there's a term for this: diagnostic overshadowing.

I'm sorry you have to fight through so much bullshit just to get the help you and your mother deserve. You have value, and it sounds like you've made some real progress. Please don't give up!

DoubleDonut posted:

Alright, I need to vent for a bit

So for background since I've been posting in this thread off and on for a while now:

I've worked for the court my whole adult life. For about six years I was living in my hometown in rural NC where I worked as a judicial official. The work itself was boring and lovely but I barely had to do anything; a significant amount of it was spent on-call so I only had to go do anything when I was actually needed, which was usually only a couple hours of work a day and only on days when I was scheduled to work. The pay was also great for the area, mostly because it was so cheap to live there; like I had a two bedroom apartment to myself and had no problem saving money.

The problem was there was literally no dating scene at all, which is unsurprising in a graying rural town in the bible belt, but is also not ideal when you're in your 20s. So a friend of mine who lives here in Seattle recommended a court clerk job posting to me, and I ended up getting hired.

The problem is I really hate the work, mostly because it primarily involves staring at my phone when I can get away with it and waiting for the day to be over so I can go home; there's very little work to do most days and what work I do have is not engaging in the slightest. And I'm not even dating, which was the actual reason I moved in the first place, partly because of COVID, but mostly because of other reasons that are better discussed with a therapist. And along with that, I'm having a much worse reaction to being so far away from everyone I've ever met than I was expecting.

I've thought about seeing if there's an opening at my old job (I'm sure there will be before too long one way or another) and just moving back, but there's a couple problems with that; first is that it would make me feel like a real piece of poo poo for wanting to leave for so long and then going right back, and second is that I started streaming regularly since I moved here, and I really enjoy it. I wouldn't be able to keep doing that in my hometown because the internet there is complete poo poo, and I feel like I've had to give up enough things in my life due to lack of talent, dedication, or opportunity already. I could just move somewhere back east and be closer to my friends and family, but I'd likely still have to be Professionally Bored all day.

That sounds stressful and frustrating. Maybe there are other options for work outside rural NC? At the very least, it sounds like getting out of there opened up more opportunities for a better life. I don't live near most of my family and childhood friends any more, so I try to stay in contact via discord, texting, calling, voice chatting, video chatting, and facebook. Covid pretty much squashed my attempts to put together an in-person social life again, but I've found like-minded support at my local NAMI chapter. Volunteering makes me feel useful, and gives me some sense of fulfillment. There are probably all kinds of organizations and clubs available in Seattle that wouldn't be available in rural NC.

I encourage people to share their experiences and give others feedback. Nothing's too small, and there's a good chance that others are experiencing what you're experiencing. I've found peer support to be life-changing.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

The West Coast doesn't "click" for a lot of southerners, you're not the only one. Why not look for a job in a more developed part of NC? There's not really many places in the state where you couldn't have a dating scene and fast internet within an hour of your hometown.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

poll plane variant posted:

The West Coast doesn't "click" for a lot of southerners, you're not the only one. Why not look for a job in a more developed part of NC? There's not really many places in the state where you couldn't have a dating scene and fast internet within an hour of your hometown.

I am actually from one of those places that is that remote

but anyway yeah I've thought about trying to find a decent job in Asheville or something. Within NC would be preferable because if I could get a State-level job I could keep my pay steps and stuff

But really mostly I just wanted to complain about really, really hating working 9 to 5. Still, thanks for the advice, everyone

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

I am actually from one of those places that is that remote

Yeah I mean I think if you are used to fuckin Maggie Valley or whatever a lot of the stuff that gives everyone instant wood for the West Coast like having outdoor rec opportunities and seeing a tree is going to seem pretty hollow next to the shittiness of grinding it out in some city full of billionaire tech palaces surrounded by bums lmao.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I've been posting, but not really checking in. I'm adjusting my medications again. I'm reducing my SSRI and increasing my mood stabilizer. The adjustment is always a bit rough, but I'm hoping this'll bring a bit more stability to my life. I've been on a high dose of this mood stabilizer before, and that was when I graduated undergrad and started grad school. I'm definitely not giving up on getting poo poo done. I'm getting more involved in mental health activism in my local area. I've been invited to county advisory board meetings for mental health, and I will attend meetings with some other local orgs. I feel like I get a whole bunch of hypomanic energy, then bite off way more than I can chew. This makes me afraid to take on more stuff, as I know my mood will inevitably drop. Getting back to a dose of a medication that I know works for me should help. The side-effects suck, but I'm ready to make that tradeoff now.

I feel like I've been focusing a lot on negative things recently. It's hard not to, when I alternate between being angry and depressed. I'm hoping that being more active in things I care about and adjusting meds will help me find the middle ground between the highs and lows. We have a newcomer in my local NAMI support group, who mentioned that they miss the way they used to be. Before the severe anxiety and depression. They weren't convinced that they could ever be happy again. I, and everyone else who spoke up, reassured them that things can and will improve. I've met a lot of peers fresh out of the hospital. They don't know what to do, and they don't have a lot of hope. They don't always come back, so I try to make it as welcoming of an environment as I can for them. I always see improvement in the people who do come back. I get that there might be some bias in this, as the people who do better may be more likely to get out and go to the support group. I'm not saying that people's depression or anxiety are cured. I think they are more likely to learn how to manage these problems better, which puts them on the road to recovery.

Everyone's recovery is different. My bipolar disorder is never going away, but I manage it a lot better than I used to. I have friends with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder (schizophrenia + a mood disorder). Their disorders degrade their quality of life, but some are able to manage it well. I believe that learning to manage such a problem is recovery. Some people don't respond to medication, and that's a very hard situation. Some people have anosognosia, meaning they have a mental health problem but aren't fully cognizant of it. I was in a really bad state a couple months ago, and tried to touch on this in a hamfisted way. I think it's important to be very careful when comparing different people's recovery. We may have different (or incorrect) diagnoses, we have different histories, different chemical makeups, and different environments.

Regardless of situation, I'd like to see everyone get the resources they need to live their best life. I don't have a lot of hope for this happening on a big scale in the US of A, but I'm trying to be active on a local level. I feel like I've been screwed over by some authority figures in my life, and I feel like I fell through the cracks in some ways. Growing up, the only response to my struggles was punishment. My material circumstances weren't horrible, but it took its toll. I've struggled to navigate the system for a long time. I've been let down by all kinds of medical professionals who were supposed to help me. Peer support is the one thing I've been able to count on, though.

The newcomer at my support group made me think about what I was like before I showed symptoms of bipolar disorder. I was still growing up, so that's going to shape my perception. I thought about whether I would want to be like I was before the bipolar disorder. Honestly, my answer would be "no." I feel like I was a bit of a shithead growing up, and as a young adult. I've done my best to improve myself, and I'm now doing my best to help others. It's still a struggle, but I feel lucky in some ways. Human beings have been around for a long time, and we're only now starting to understand and treat mental illness properly. I think we have a way to go, but we have more options today than ever before.

I think the real turning point in my life was when I first started going to a support group. I didn't really open up to anyone before that. Not even therapists or doctors. I think I was a bit of a misanthrope beforehand, but I learned a bit more empathy from opening up to people. I'm not saying everyone needs to or should go to a support group. I think the most effective part is being open with others in a safe environment. I think everyone, whether they have a mental health diagnosis or not, could benefit from this.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
So went into the podiatrist and she was shocked that no one had removed my toenail weeks ago. This was despite them telling me several times that it needed to be done.

So basically I spent an entire month suffering through severe blackout pain for absolutely no reason and I told them over and over but none of the five doctors I saw did a goddamn thing.

I kind of think I have a case against the hospital now and I'm going to talk to an attorney and the podiatrist. This poo poo combined with what was going on with the rest of my life almost drove me to utter insanity for no loving reason and if I can get some money for this I guess I should.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I wish you success and a good amount of foot money

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jesus, yeah, go for it ACAB.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I had an ingrown nail from an injury and it was so bad even the slightest bump or touch was so so painful.

I wish I could say I can’t believe 5 doctors missed it. Probably trying to speed run every patient to rake in money

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

skooma512 posted:

I had an ingrown nail from an injury and it was so bad even the slightest bump or touch was so so painful.

I wish I could say I can’t believe 5 doctors missed it. Probably trying to speed run every patient to rake in money

What do you mean missed it? Did you like say "I am in pain... somewhere" and they had to guess?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Sounds like the doctors either weren't looking closely, or weren't looking at all. CaptainACAB mentioned that they were being suspected of seeking pain killers.

https://journals.lww.com/jbisrir/Fulltext/2021/06000/Understanding_the_experience_of_diagnostic.7.aspx

quote:

A lived experience of mental illness is associated with compromised physical health and decreased life expectancy. Mental health consumers face greater barriers to accessing treatment for physical illnesses and are less likely to receive appropriate physical care than those without mental illness. Physical illnesses may go underdiagnosed and undertreated in mental health consumers because clinicians tend to focus on the mental illness to the exclusion of other health problems, a phenomenon called diagnostic overshadowing.

It's something I've experienced, and I know a number of people who have been through something similar. I think it's an important area of advocacy.

My sister has special needs, and has been through it quite a bit, too. She has trouble communicating what's happening, and it's hard to know if she's dealing with her everyday pain ( :( ) or something that requires hospitalization. My mother is a nurse who knows my sister's health issues inside and out, but she still struggles to figure out what to do. I'm terrified at the thought of taking over my sister's care full-time. I've heard of people not having their medical concerns taken seriously for a variety of reasons: race, gender, sexual orientation, cultural/language differences, etc. I wonder if it's possible to piggyback off of previous/ongoing advocacy efforts in those areas?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

our health care system is a broken, disgusting, and multilayered scam-within-a-scam

every time you go to a doctor or a hospital or ride an ambulance your physical body represents nothing more than a potential sequence of digits preceded by a dollar sign on a billable statement

im learning how to assist in an operating room and the first few chapters of the book are about insurance and legal CYA

when you receive medical care you are esentially a customer of a corporation designed around profit

the whole thing needs to be burned to the ground. there are no small adjustments possible to fix this

Raine has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Nov 6, 2021

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

skooma512 posted:

for

The hosed thing is several of them told me it needed to be removed and then didn't do it.

I was incoherent with pain and actually losing conciousnesses, adding into that I was terrified due to everything happening and it not getting better.

During all of this my GP looked at it for like 20 seconds, said the toenail will probably need to come off and then didn't do it and went to a meeting.

Toe feels much better btw and my brain feels like a huge fog has been lifted from it. Turns out chronic severe pain can really gently caress your life up who would have guessed. Still some dull pain and swelling but I can manage with ibuprofen and elevation. This probably feels now like all the doctors who kept implying I was faking thought it did as I was feverishly trying to tell them something was wrong over and over.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm seeing the term "medical consumer" everywhere now. Even in medical journals. I was upset by it at first, but now I know it's perfect. It sums up everything that's wrong with our society in two words.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
I like this thread and since I'm trying to be better about my mental / general health, it seemed like a good idea to have a place that I can get some outside input/accountability from. Not in a place where I'm getting any therapy or psychiatry (other than a rx for buproprion from an online Dr), so I've kinda had to make do. Luckily my saint of a girlfriend (would be wife if my life situation wasn't as embarrassing as it is, but working on that) has helped me to try and get back up on my feet and surprisingly to me, I seem to have gotten at least a little better.

I got a gym membership a few months ago, started lifting and eating better for a routine and to exhaust myself. That helped a good bit, plus taking the medicine consistently helped my motivation. A job kinda fell into my lap when my neighbors roofing company needed some help. Not having a car other than via my girlfriend has made it basically impossible to handle normal jobs, but for this I just walk next door and go to work. It's hard grunt labor but I like it because it passes the days and I kinda look at it as a paid workout. The guys on the crew have sorta accepted me, and I was able to view a lot of the comments as just exposure therapy and practicing 'disengage' when I would get too into my own head. In the past I definitely would have gotten..gently caress I hate the word..triggered and quit or worse. But despite the differences in personality it's nice to have a small group of people to work with and get to know rather than a retail or something job. Good starting point to get over my phobia of social interaction. I feel good to have something challenging to do and be able (so far, knock on wood) to overcome it and be a part of actually building something and being worn out at the end of the day, sleep has majorly improved. My relationship has been better, I feel like I'm actually contributing rather than sitting alone and hating myself, and I really like being able to have things to talk about. Its also kept my mind off more unfixable problems, like my parents deciding to act like I don't exist other than on holidays (to which I'm not invited) or other things. Having a routine has helped a lot with that and I'm going to do my best to keep that going. No matter how hard it gets or how much I want to.

Didn't really mean to have a wall of text about me, but other than my girlfriend, I don't have any place to talk about mental health and life circumstances. I'm just trying to put my thoughts about the past months down so that I can remember how I felt about it and also potentially have some other people to bounce ideas off of. I'm trying to set myself up to at least do the best I can, and this forum has honestly helped me a lot, as well as understanding better how things work.

I genuinely hope all of yall that are in this thread are doing okay, and want to thank all the people who have posted so much helpful information with regards to dealing with mental health. It's nice to at least be able to see the sunlight, even if I'm not quite out of the hole yet.

TLDR - physical activity and having a fulfilling job have helped my mental health a surprising amount even if I still have a long way to go. I want to keep up that inertia and not let myself backslide into the pit when I have the opportunity to do something more productive. This is a good thread, hope everyone is well.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

CaptainACAB posted:

for

The hosed thing is several of them told me it needed to be removed and then didn't do it.

I was incoherent with pain and actually losing conciousnesses, adding into that I was terrified due to everything happening and it not getting better.

During all of this my GP looked at it for like 20 seconds, said the toenail will probably need to come off and then didn't do it and went to a meeting.

Toe feels much better btw and my brain feels like a huge fog has been lifted from it. Turns out chronic severe pain can really gently caress your life up who would have guessed. Still some dull pain and swelling but I can manage with ibuprofen and elevation. This probably feels now like all the doctors who kept implying I was faking thought it did as I was feverishly trying to tell them something was wrong over and over.

get a better GP, mine would have me to the foot guy for toenail removal in like an instant, you dont have to be stuck with a lovely doctor but youll never fix the lovely ones

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
one of my best friends survived years of poverty and wage slavery and burying their parents and finally had landed in a super financially stable situation where they owned nice property worth serious scratch. They seemed to me to be on a path towards some place better, even if they were meandering there through depressive doldrums and drugs.

they killed themselves

big changes are hard, undoing the effects of institutionalized poverty isn't something that happens fast if at all, and outside of your little circle no one in this country gives a poo poo about you and the financial and legal institutions will suck you dry and spit you out. so, find that little circle, hold it tight, and if you have a sinking feeling that maybe you should be getting in a car and driving interstate through the night to check on someone... well, maybe loving do it. Because I didn't. And now I'll never know if it would have made any difference, or not.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

As someone with ideation, yeah, getting stable is often the worst place you can be because

A) you now have time to think

B) you get the suspicion that no matter good the future will be, it will never make up for the collective trauma of the past. This one tends to get stronger the older you get and less future you have, but I can absolutely see 20 and early 30 year olds thinking it too

C) That while the poo poo our society throws at you is awful, those are merely symptoms of the overall problem, which is we have to struggle nonstop to avoid losing all stability we manage to find. Capitalism calls this "dynamic", "lean", and "efficient". Sometimes, even if you are in less pain at the moment, the prospect of even potential fighting in the future is too overwhelming to bear.

Cabbages, I didn't know your friend and I don't know anything about his circumstances, but I'll say this: There's no such thing as being out-of-the-woods when it comes to ideation for many people.
I have opinions on end-of-life situations, and I'm going to ramble here. How much of this is applicable to you and your friend is unknown, but maybe my perspective can help. Cabbages this is not a judgement on you as a person and friend, I'm just talking about how friends and family in my life have treated me as a result of having ideation and expressing problems.

The reason people often give no sign or indication they're about to do it (or if they have, they kept quiet immediately before) is because society and those they love, no matter how progressive they might otherwise be, will instantly resort to incarceration (yes, that's how I'd classify involuntary commitment) until they recant. I've always wondered how much of the "people pulled back from the brink always say they are glad they didn't do it" is because you'd be effectively shut out from society until you did say that, regardless if you believe it. Its being forced to recant heresy under threat of imprisonment in the most medieval way possible.

One of the reasons people with suicidal ideation don't talk to others, even close friends about it, is because we don't want "help" that comes in instantly shouting "CALL THE HOTLINE, I'M CALLING 911, THEY'RE COMING TO DRAG YOU AWAY, YOU CAN'T DO THIS, ITS NEVER THE RIGHT CHOICE. EVEN TALKING ABOUT IT IS BAD BECAUSE YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS JUST BY TALKING ABOUT IT." instead of just talking with them about it.

Talking about ideation to mental health providers is even scarier, because they will deploy the tools they have, which, to go full-Focault, always tend to be some variant of discipline and punishment if they feel the situation is escalating past a certain point. People who live with ideation are often loving sick of people, friends, family, and institutions disciplining and punishing them into not being suicidal.

The end result of all this it comes as a huge shock to everyone else when it happened because once they decide to go through with it, it seems everyone else is hostile to you and starts screaming at you to shut the gently caress up or starts calling people backed with state violence to drag you off. We don't need that poo poo.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Nov 8, 2021

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Recommend all the nutjobs itt move to small towns in the deserts of the American southwest

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You're gonna have to make a pretty convincing case for me to move to fuckin Arizona

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

You're gonna have to make a pretty convincing case for me to move to fuckin Arizona

Weather, cheap cost of living, if you go to eastern Cali decent QoL on min wage

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jorge Bell posted:

Recommend all the nutjobs itt move to small towns in the deserts of the American southwest

reported for advising self harm

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jorge Bell posted:

Jokes on you I'm already there. There's many movie universes I've pictured living in, but I wasn't expecting to be stuck in No Country for Old Men.

Jorge Bell posted:

Weather, cheap cost of living, if you go to eastern Cali decent QoL on min wage

This is the first time I've ever heard "Riverside" and "Quality of Life" together.

I remember some goon mentioning "I drove through Nipton in real life, it looked better in Fallout New Vegas"

Ed: relevant to several of the conversations, found it:

https://twitter.com/cripjustice/status/1306668591169716225

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Nov 8, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

The California desert is beautiful. I can't say I'm a fan of the parts with people living in them, though.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Look all i know is that I ran out of my prescribed vitamin D supplements because I'm an indoor boy and before I knew it I had moved to the desert. Coincidence? I report you decide.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
lol at the tactical "therapist"

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
CITIZEN, PREPARE TO BE COUNSELLED, ASSUME THE EMOTIONAL RELIEF POSITION AGAINST THE WALL WITH YOUR LEGS SPREAD

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i live in phoenix. telling people to come out here is attempted murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, uh, death valley+climate change is gonna be some Venus terraforming level awful