Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you could just get a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Juul-Whip posted:

you could just get a job

Excuse me, getting poo poo-faced at the craps table and gambling my mortgage is a job.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Huskalator posted:

This is the correct attitude. Crypto is sort of stupid and NFTs are immensely stupid but who cares. Make money off it.

Convincing marks that they know it's a scam so they can outsmart the scammers is a key part to a good scam.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Has anyone ever who isn't the maker ever made a profit of buying and selling an NTF yet?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Huskalator posted:

This is the correct attitude. Crypto is sort of stupid and NFTs are immensely stupid but who cares. Make money off it.

ah yes, the genius move of buying into something you know is a fraud, because you're convinced that unlike everyone else, you're smart enough to pull your leg out of the trap before it snaps shut

that puts you slightly above the bitcoiners who bought into openly-advertised Ponzi schemes, thinking they'd be able to predict when the scheme would collapse and pull out their money before it was too late

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how do i make an NFT

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

how do i make an NFT

First you gotta destroy an ecosystem

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

how do i make an NFT

put coin in butt

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Main Paineframe posted:

ah yes, the genius move of buying into something you know is a fraud, because you're convinced that unlike everyone else, you're smart enough to pull your leg out of the trap before it snaps shut

that puts you slightly above the bitcoiners who bought into openly-advertised Ponzi schemes, thinking they'd be able to predict when the scheme would collapse and pull out their money before it was too late

If you had bought one bitcoin the day this thread started and sold it today how much would you have made?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Jose Valasquez posted:

Convincing marks that they know it's a scam so they can outsmart the scammers is a key part to a good scam.

Yeah I'm not saying anyone should take their life savings and invest it in a ****coin. But if someone takes some fun money and puts it in Ether or an artist wants to take advantage of the NFT craziness then why not?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah I can't really blame struggling artists for wanting to cash in. Nor do I fault the fortune 500 suits for wanting a piece of the action.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Huskalator posted:

Yeah I'm not saying anyone should take their life savings and invest it in a ****coin. But if someone takes some fun money and puts it in Ether or an artist wants to take advantage of the NFT craziness then why not?

I mean, I’m not the one who lit the forest fire, I’m just throwing unused packs of matches in the forest

Hm. Not the best metaphor but it matches the effort that BitCoin is worth

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That is an attitude you can have, but it's not one that's going to mollify any bitcoin skeptics or get them to stop telling you to gently caress off. It does not make the larger idea any less stupid. What is the point of bringing it up in a place where people are just going to tell you to gently caress off?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Huskalator posted:

If you had bought one bitcoin the day this thread started and sold it today how much would you have made?

Are we including the extremely high chance of it being lost or stolen? Because that would be a 100% loss.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Huskalator posted:

most of the people taking their fun real money and dumping it on the fake money are going to lose most of it to some early adopter

most of the struggling artists who hear about the nft craze are going to spend real money on the fake money to pay for the fees to create one and then never manage to sell it

this is the entire point of the current stage of this pyramid, drum up attention so a new round of suckers spend actual currency on the system and keep it going

most of the older suckers lost their money, and if you're hoping to get in and be one of the smart ones you should probably go sell herbalife or something instead, it's less destructive and wasteful

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Huskalator posted:

Because a single Ethereum transaction uses 6 days worth of energy for an average household and we're already in the middle of a climate crisis

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1455676114345545739

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's wild that selling a bitcoin is the equivalent of 40 days worth of energy for a typical american household and it's now evolved into even more environmentally intensive practices so that people on twitter can buy photos of monkeys

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was stupid enough that our global environment is being obliterated because the global market demands that the amazon be turned into a gigantic grazing field where millions of cows fart so much that the earth heats up, now we're also losing the environment to pictures that a small group of the internet refuse to right click and save into their desktop.

Of all the doomsday scenarios, this is by far the least interesting.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The thing that amazes me most about this entire shitshow is how we can spend pages and pages talking about how crypto and NFT are environmentally catastrophic scams with no real use cases, sometimes with specific examples of scams like that lion exit scam or everything about Squidcoin or that guy who got three ugly monkey jpgs stolen and got them blacklisted on major exchanges (so much for decentralization) and continues to use them as his profile picture despite not owning them (so much for ironclad unique ownership) and then our local idiots come crashing into the thread shouting HEY GUYS AREN'T YOU SORRY YOU DIDN'T BUY IN?

As good at reading the room as they are at spotting bullshit, I guess.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

MechaCrash posted:

The thing that amazes me most about this entire shitshow is how we can spend pages and pages talking about how crypto and NFT are environmentally catastrophic scams with no real use cases, sometimes with specific examples of scams like that lion exit scam or everything about Squidcoin or that guy who got three ugly monkey jpgs stolen and got them blacklisted on major exchanges (so much for decentralization) and continues to use them as his profile picture despite not owning them (so much for ironclad unique ownership) and then our local idiots come crashing into the thread shouting HEY GUYS AREN'T YOU SORRY YOU DIDN'T BUY IN?

As good at reading the room as they are at spotting bullshit, I guess.

Yeah it turns out crypto adherents are stupid as gently caress

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
The number its """""""worth"""""""" is directly tied to their ego. Everytime its down they are quiet and timid.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The reason crypto and NFTs work is the same reason Spam emails work. They're specifically engineered to be dumb as gently caress, to weed out anyone smart and only leave the stupid and vulnerable people that would actually fall for the scam without repercussion for the scammer.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shinmera posted:

The reason crypto and NFTs work is the same reason Spam emails work. They're specifically engineered to be dumb as gently caress, to weed out anyone smart and only leave the stupid and vulnerable people that would actually fall for the scam without repercussion for the scammer.

Looking at the population of the United States, it really is no surprise that crypto is super popular here. We're chock-full of rich morons.

Also that monkey jizz scam is like watching a man walk on a pile of twigs over top of a tiger pit, believing it safe because the rear end in a top hat who made it told him it was.

"The Vice Article posted:

Monkey Jizz’s scam was a rug pull, in which a project attracts investors, promises to release a bunch of products, and then suddenly makes off with investor funds while crashing the value of the underlying token. According to screenshots shared on social media on Sunday, Monkey Jizz’s rug pull also had the added step of introducing a 94.9 percent sell fee for any holders of $MJIZZ, disincentivizing any panic selling that might diminish the rug pull’s profitability.
The project offered investors a few things to emphasize the project as a safe bet: a doxxed "monkey master" named Cal whose photo is featured on the website (giving legitimacy because there was an identifiable human behind the project); marketing and development costs coming out of “a locked wallet”; a dynamic "anti-poacher system" to adjust fees and stop hoarding and exploitation of supply; and community votes on "important matters."

If the fuckin' devs have the ability to arbitrarily set punitive measures on things like "selling", you probably shouldn't have touched it!

Also I can't wait for these coiners to ruin some random dude's life after it becomes apparent that the scammers just lifted "Cal" off of some random Facebook page or that ai-generated face site. Be your own bank!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Solar Tornado posted:

Has anyone already made the connection that NFTs are just like adoptables on DeviantArt, but somehow more stupid?

yeah, i had this thought over in cspam yesterday. similar kind of practice (and brain exploit) just opened up to way more people and is now way more exploitative. but that people are willing to pay for ych/adoptable things, most of which amount to palette swaps, is probably the same underlying idea that leads to people buying palette-swapped apes. just with even less of a human component. no different really to a lot of the ideas that break out of their corner of the internet and undergo total context collapse.

a lot of people talk up how artists don't like NFTs (like that pregnant woman artist a few posts back) as some sign of artistic integrity/intelligence but part of me, as an artist myself, thinks it is just working people seeing that lovely machine-generated art may one day make the artistic impulse irrelevant -- essentially the automation of creativity. see also those imagebreeder sites that can generate faces or whatever.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I have to guess that a lot of these people pumping NFTs are Etherium early adopters, right? That's why they have so much to spend and treat it like funny money?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I can't believe "Monkey Jizz" was a scam.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I can't believe "Monkey Jizz" was a scam.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Bitcoin: I can't believe "Monkey Jizz" was a scam.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

this one owns, they put so much effort into talking about all of their anti-fraud elements to lure in even more marks before stealing everything from them.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rufio posted:

I have to guess that a lot of these people pumping NFTs are Etherium early adopters, right? That's why they have so much to spend and treat it like funny money?

Let's be clear here, reasonable people aren't sacrificing monopoly money or Chuck-E-Cheese tokens on something as low effort and pointless as NFTs. The average stuffed animal, cheap plastic toy, etc. is leagues ahead in quality and usefulness.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jose Valasquez posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Bitcoin: I can't believe "Monkey Jizz" was a scam.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can gently caress a stuffed animal but you can’t gently caress an NFT

Yet

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

jokes posted:

Yet

https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/1455553940422946817

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If that henpai thing is shitposting to make fun of NFTs it's pretty funny, but if it's in any way serious I'm going to join Elon Musk's slave corps on Mars just to get away from these people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

funeral home DJ posted:

If that henpai thing is shitposting to make fun of NFTs it's pretty funny, but if it's in any way serious I'm going to join Elon Musk's slave corps on Mars just to get away from these people.

i'd be shocked if it wasn't serious

at least for the several days it takes to draw in several hundred thousands of dollars worth of investment, after which they'll take the money and run

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Can you buy them with OneCoin?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

funeral home DJ posted:

if it's shitposting to make fun of NFT's someone will make it serious and it'll be the next one to hit big, look at what happened to dogecoin.

gently caress it, hail satan I'm getting in on this one

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

jokes posted:

Yet

Not for lack of "want" or "try", though: Meet Aiko.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I only know 2 bitcoin true believers. One of them loves nft stuff because he falls for literally every scam that comes his way, but the other one is fascinating; he is very loudly on the "they're a scam" train, but his arguments are the same ones people use to reason with him over bitcoin. Crypto, a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It is kinda weird that you can find some really aggressive dunking on NFTs online, and then you look to see who is posting it and they're buttcoin true believers. Really strange case of "our scam good, your scam bad" going on.