Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/YoCavazoss/status/964571027555737601

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I put this up in the DIY gear thread, I got the Altura kit from Zeppelin Labs and it is a MIDI controller with a Theremin as its main input, so I wound up controlling my NTS-1 with it it, way too much fun. Of course I'll be trying various other devices with it, I haven't even made an enclosure for it yet, I've got high hopes for this one. It also has a nice arp on board, with a lot of nice options such as a knob controlling which mode (scale) your arp goes in.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rolo posted:

My friend got an Otamatone and it’s making low quiet noises sometimes while just sitting on his desk.

Imagine getting the one haunted Otamatone lmao.

Many moons ago I plugged my Miku stomp into it and it would just sing random stuff on its own.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

I put this up in the DIY gear thread, I got the Altura kit from Zeppelin Labs and it is a MIDI controller with a Theremin as its main input, so I wound up controlling my NTS-1 with it it, way too much fun. Of course I'll be trying various other devices with it, I haven't even made an enclosure for it yet, I've got high hopes for this one. It also has a nice arp on board, with a lot of nice options such as a knob controlling which mode (scale) your arp goes in.

I'm the jar of vaseline next to the MAGA sticker

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm the jar of vaseline next to the MAGA sticker

Sounds about right. It's Loratadine, BTW.

But that doesn't change the fact that we're taking it all back, and this time it's for keeps!

I was originally thinking that if Trump actually becomes a viable candidate again and runs I'd just make Trumpwave until the election but I guess that could get old without a little variety. But yeah, I am so ready to churn out some Trumpwave.

Okay, let me change the subject for a second. Maybe somebody here can help me locate some good tarnce or tarnce-like music for my workouts. I just want a strong, steady beat and a transcendant lead, all strong enough I can hear on my waterproof earbuds as I swim, for a long time. I kick to the beat and I probably want a 140-160 but a 120 now and then is cool. Lately it's almost all Sasha, my beloved disco chanteuse Billie Ray Martin, lots of old disco ... any recs? I was once recommended System 7 for my purposes.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 1, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

petit choux posted:

Sounds about right. It's Loratadine, BTW.

But that doesn't change the fact that we're taking it all back, and this time it's for keeps!

I was originally thinking that if Trump actually becomes a viable candidate again and runs I'd just make Trumpwave until the election but I guess that could get old without a little variety. But yeah, I am so ready to churn out some Trumpwave.

Okay, let me change the subject for a second. Maybe somebody here can help me locate some good tarnce or tarnce-like music for my workouts. I just want a strong, steady beat and a transcendant lead, all strong enough I can hear on my waterproof earbuds as I swim, for a long time. I kick to the beat and I probably want a 140-160 but a 120 now and then is cool. Lately it's almost all Sasha, my beloved disco chanteuse Billie Ray Martin, lots of old disco ... any recs? I was once recommended System 7 for my purposes.

wtf is trumpwave

is this an incredibly lowkey and undramatic chud self-out?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I don't know about this

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

:catdrugs:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ok Comboomer posted:

wtf is trumpwave

Sample Tiny Dancer and pitch it down an octave.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

wtf is trumpwave

Escalator music.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
“Born in the USA”, except only the chorus

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Slore Tactician posted:

“Born in the USA”, except only the chorus

I feel like this is the answer.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm a long gone daddy in the USA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And no, that does not mean I've been evading child support payments.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

https://youtu.be/ZbM6WbUw7Bs

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the gently caress

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

the gently caress

I just assembled a kit theremin and took receipt of a MPK Mini. That's the gently caress. Just bleeping and blooping the gently caress out. And I have never had anything from Akai I haven't been impressed by.

ED: but it's more than just a theremin, it's a MIDI theremin, with what appears to my inexperienced eye to be a really nice arpeggiator as well. It mostly doesn't sound like a theremin, it plays notes along a selected scale, mode, speed of your choosing so you can choose to never play out of a certain key etc. But it is controlling my NTS-1 very nicely right now. It's not very sturdy but I like it. Can't beat the price tag.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 2, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

great now I've got to start dropping easter eggs in my gear shots

see if you can spot the one weird thing

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The "I'm the ______" is a time honored tradition at SA.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Ok Comboomer posted:

wtf is trumpwave

Vaporwave but showtunes

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

wtf is trumpwave

Farts.

It's just farts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzKOGVvrDI&t=61s

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

More or less complete. My first kit that's involved any significant soldering. They provided a template for the cardboard box, in case you wondered. But I used board that was thicker than their design intended. This is a wondrous machine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I discovered you can use old earbuds as a replacement for a proper 3.5mm FM antenna and now my OP1 is picking up all the podunk religious radio stations.

It’s a treasure trove of whack rear end samples.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nice. Here is another pic before I go. These guys go together nicely.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve considered getting the NTS-1 if for nothing but to have a cool little project to put together :3: it’s so cute too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve been listening to Annie Lennox all night while making deliveries.

I hereby challenge you to record a cover of the eternal diamond-encrusted platinum hit, Walking On Broken Glass.

You have seven days. You can make it sound however you want. You can make it an ambient track. It just has to be recognizably Walking On Broken Glass. You are also free to ignore this challenge.

https://vocaroo.com/1kkKzD9OU1wo

Thoughts: Hahaha this is so much harder than I thought. I felt like a golden retriever in lab PPE the whole time. After I ditched the plan to make a straight-up cover, I ended up pulling out interesting musical ideas from the original and loving around with them instead. That was more productive, but I have no idea if that's a good way to do it. I ended up with something that I'm happy enough with, at least.

It's also hard when I don't know what actually sounds good from a synth perspective. I'm expecting this to be labeled cheese or whatever since it doesn't have much post-processing and FX. Maybe if I get hardware I'll actually learn that poo poo :v:

Mixing/mastering/producing/whatever is far beyond me. This thing looks like a centipede in Audacity and I still don't know why:

I'm not sure when the growing begins, but the learning certainly continues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

https://vocaroo.com/1kkKzD9OU1wo

Thoughts: Hahaha this is so much harder than I thought. I felt like a golden retriever in lab PPE the whole time. After I ditched the plan to make a straight-up cover, I ended up pulling out interesting musical ideas from the original and loving around with them instead. That was more productive, but I have no idea if that's a good way to do it. I ended up with something that I'm happy enough with, at least.

It's also hard when I don't know what actually sounds good from a synth perspective. I'm expecting this to be labeled cheese or whatever since it doesn't have much post-processing and FX. Maybe if I get hardware I'll actually learn that poo poo :v:

Mixing/mastering/producing/whatever is far beyond me. This thing looks like a centipede in Audacity and I still don't know why:

I'm not sure when the growing begins, but the learning certainly continues.

this is definitely not what I expected and it’s definitely rad!

Name your prize! Do you want an Av, or forums upgrade? One for one of your enemies?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is definitely not what I expected and it’s definitely rad!

Name your prize! Do you want an Av, or forums upgrade? One for one of your enemies?

Agreed, that rocks. Give 'em whatever they want.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

Give 'em whatever they want.

I can’t realistically spend more than like 20 bucks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gosh, I'm just glad you enjoyed it. :shobon: Just comp my beer if Bosgoons do another meet!!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Today I received something superfluous, futile, and thus completely essential for my synth

Urania Maths panel from Materia

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 2, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

I can’t realistically spend more than like 20 bucks

Well I tried, Pollyanna, but you can see what I'm up against here

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

This is giving me good vibes, like a happy town in an SNES game.

I really like it! It’s inspiring me to play with more sounds.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Loving your journey Pollyanna! Your waveform looks like that because it isn't especially compressed or limited , but there is nothing wrong with that and it's just up to how you prefer to make your music sound unless you're trying to mix it for a specific use like streaming sites etc., then you should pay attention to your dynamic range and LUFS and all that stuff.

Here is a track I am working on where I'm using samplers and synths:

A click here takes you to the track on my soundcloud

This is sort of the nucleus of an idea I'm going to be expanding into a 4-5 minute piece with a new drum recording + "bigger" percussion, some more guitar work, some light orchestration to enhance certain bits too. Got the BBC Discovery set from Spitfire, and from the recent IK GB (which apparently is still technically available until November 7, they're matching the hardware grace period) I got Miroslav CE and some Sampletank 4 stuff, and it looks like in a few days you can get Sampletank Orchestral Percussion for free on Bedroom Producers Blog so I'm looking forward to that.

Kind of excited to see the TRIAD and LION dev asking for feature requests today elsewhere, too, I requested convolution, more granular stuff, and FM/RM synthesis from an audio side chain. Since using Knifonium I can't help but think how cool it would be if more synth plugins could do that.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 3, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just made a patch that goes "uwu" so mind you that I have yet to reach maturity.

Rolo posted:

This is giving me good vibes, like a happy town in an SNES game.

I really like it! It’s inspiring me to play with more sounds.

:3: yayyyy thank you im glad you like it!!!!!!!!!

Agreed posted:

Loving your journey Pollyanna! Your waveform looks like that because it isn't especially compressed or limited , but there is nothing wrong with that and it's just up to how you prefer to make your music sound unless you're trying to mix it for a specific use like streaming sites etc., then you should pay attention to your dynamic range and LUFS and all that stuff.

Here is a track I am working on where I'm using samplers and synths:

A click here takes you to the track on my soundcloud

This is sort of the nucleus of an idea I'm going to be expanding into a 4-5 minute piece with a new drum recording + "bigger" percussion, some more guitar work, some light orchestration to enhance certain bits too. Got the BBC Discovery set from Spitfire, and from the recent IK GB (which apparently is still technically available until November 7, they're matching the hardware grace period) I got Miroslav CE and some Sampletank 4 stuff, and it looks like in a few days you can get Sampletank Orchestral Percussion for free on Bedroom Producers Blog so I'm looking forward to that.

Kind of excited to see the TRIAD and LION dev asking for feature requests today elsewhere, too, I requested convolution, more granular stuff, and FM/RM synthesis from an audio side chain. Since using Knifonium I can't help but think how cool it would be if more synth plugins could do that.

Oh drat, that sounds really good. I haven't figured out why my stuff doesn't sound as "full" as other tracks, but I think in your track it's a combination of the backing drone/pad, long-attack lead synths and how the guitars are like really smooth too. I actually don't get much "poking" sounds like I would in my own tracks here...I think some poking is good (e.g. in percussion) but it looks like balance and variety is key in everything.

Would love to hear your thought process in putting together both that track and continuing to build out its musical ideas! I'm surprisingly bad at learning by example :shobon:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thank you! I really appreciate it, I had a lot of fun recording it. Love to talk about how I was thinking about it, and of course I welcome others' thoughts and/or suggestions. Uh, warning: this is probably gonna be long.

It started with me messing around with Sampletron 2 and some post-FX, I was fiddling with the attack on three sounds and ended up with something that had a feel to it that was kind of hard to place but was sort of stringy and sort of brassy depending on the frequency. I threw a preamp sim on that and automated the gain and high frequency shelving EQ to be mildly input following, so as the signal was louder it was also brighter and with more harmonics. I was able to counter-automate the trim on the plugin I was using to balance this volume boost out pretty precisely and the resulting effect I liked a lot when I played some chords with it. I usually need to get some drums with an idea before more comes, so I threw a freaking 4/4 track from like 90bpm stretched to 120bpm and then manually added some bass and hi-hat hits to make it sound appropriately 3/4, and all of that was silly but it helped me figure out that I DID like the idea. Once I had that I recorded some more with the pads on top of it out to about a minute or so, then used that to kill that goofy drum track and just record my own new one that worked better. By that time I was getting the feeling inside that this was a fruitful idea and notions were beginning to play in my head a lot about stuff I thought might work.

Once I had that much I felt like I could expand it with some guitar parts but needed to dial in patches like I wanted them to sound, and figure out where I wanted those sounds to come from in the mix. I have really changed my workflow this year and don't do it like I used to, even compared to tracks I did earlier this year. I make a lot of destructive edits and commits, otherwise I dick around too much. I do tracking first and then once I have it set up I render it out and don't work with the direct sounds anymore if I can help it. If I need to go back and make a change, I track something new. I tracked a shitload of stuff from all different instruments that I was using and kept maybe 1/4 of what I recorded altogether. There was one point in tracking when I hit play it felt like seeing someone trying to juggle while doing a 1-man-band act at the same time, it was way too much going on, but from those too-much elements I killed pieces and pieces until what was left did what I wanted it to musically and felt like it did in my head.

I am loving this feeling of risky business as I go, having to really commit to changes, but it's exciting to me to be working with it with each decision mattering a lot. And, it means that what I am working with after tracking are rendered out tracks that have a lot of the basic work done like initial compression and EQ to make them fit in the mix. Speaking of, EQ is so important. I use a lot of EQs (I prefer Neve emulations for shelving EQs, and IKMM and Black Rooster Neve type plugins are both on this track a lot). But to tame spikes and prevent material from being too spiky without overcompressing the whole thing, I like dynamic EQ. Personally, I am a huge fan of GlissEQ by Voxengo. I love its graphical presentation, love its filter types, love its dynamic behavior (helps to make EQ changes program-dependent, which can be really useful in keeping the character of a sound but reducing certain elements carefully). If my stuff sounds smoother it's because GlissEQ lets me not just hear but see where frequency spikes are occurring and address them easily in the context of the mix - it can even show multiple tracks' spectra overlaid, so you can see "oh, this one's really peaking at the same time as that one in that frequency range, maybe I could cut that and see if it gels better" (etc.)

Anyway - after tracking I have stuff that is ready to be put into space, and I think kind of in terms of "lanes" of sound in my DAW. I set up specifically panned tracks with certain things done to them in mixing, feed groups of tracks into delay and reverb together to help everything have a sense of collective space. Moving elements of the music between these "lanes" is possible since I'm not working on them on a single track having to process it in realtime just from that track - I just cut and paste like working with tape. So in that I have the harmonized guitars in two of those lanes, but sometimes a doubled but very slightly delayed bit of the pad will be there at a low amplitude instead where it's not easy to notice it but it adds some stereo fullness, that kind of thing. I have specific lanes the keys went into first. And then aspects of the other performances sort of drift into adjacent lanes and the whole thing sort of builds into it as it goes, in the end I got the space I was looking for and things feel "together." During this whole process I am always watching levels on individual tracks, automating volume to keep things balanced (again, easy to adjust clips individually at this stage). I'm also turning comps on and off to make sure that before any dynamics processing is applied I like how things sound, like the dynamic range I'm working with. I also pay attention to phase correlation and stereo metering to prevent unevenness and issues.

I track in one project, then version fork it for mixing, then make a new project and import the rendered mix for my own post-mix tinkering process. I really hesitate to use the word mastering, that's a professional's job, but I get my own material ready for streaming and all that, mind the dynamic range and LUFS, try to keep the frequency energy as balanced as I can. The cool thing is that since structuring my workflow and committing to it as I have, it's not hard now to go back to tracking and track more, get that into my mixing project and dial it in how I want, and then take the output and work in the post-mix tinkering project discretely but with all of the tools already in place, dialed in. I wish I had been doing it this way on the two other tracks I put out this year, I feel they could have been better if I had. But, I am always a student of this stuff myself, that comes with "oh I should have..." plenty and I just try to bring that forward to the next thing and make it cooler!

*checks length of post* :aaa: well that's a tale, cool cool cool, let me try and wrap this:

As far as what I want to do with this track now, well, first it needs new drums. Bigger and better, that was still a quickly recorded track and I could certainly do better than that, tighter. I need to work on the drum kit sound and mix also, it's not where I want it. It's a little louder or a little wetter than I want, need to highpass the kick a bit, not panned perfectly for the track I feel, and I need to work on how the cymbals and overheads sound too - but it was crucial to get it to this point! I'm going to give more time to developing the trem guitar parts, for sure, and have another solo segment. I like how the guitars and synth sound together in opposing lanes, going to work more on how to layer that in. I feel like I will definitely include the segment from 0:48 to the end as the track's conclusion (the trem guitar suddenly going from ambience to forward and then getting that big sounding part dialed in like I wanted it was so fun, and that's definitely the coolest harmonized work I've ever recorded on guitar). The 1:12 bit is where I intend to orchestrate with more instruments and try for a really big sound. I feel like I might end up with an intro at a different tempo and then get into the final tempo at some point in the song. Thinking about changing to a related key during part of the build, maybe.

I am really excited, actually, to see where it takes me from here. Love recording and I clearly love to chat on it too - thanks for asking :D

edit your track is fun, very bright SNES era and energetic, I like your sounds :) sent you a PM

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 3, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yo, this was a great effort and joyous result. Keep it up!

I'd like to read and listen to what Agreed posted, but it will have to wait for the morning.

I'll just drop off tonight's experiment before bed.
Tonight I learned that I could sequence hardware with vcv rack via midi, so I patched a little something together to try it out. Drum sounds are from an un-synced pocket operator.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
these are a few tracks I've made with the hydrasynth. definitely need more to feel like a real track and not just a whatever but anyway. I'm kinda proud of them, especially the first two

https://soundcloud.com/user-987488156/donest
https://soundcloud.com/user-987488156/from-nothing
https://soundcloud.com/user-987488156/the-tired-bounce

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

this was awesome to read and makes me want to do a huge effortpost for a track I’ve been working on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You knocked this OUT of the PARK! Holy moly. This is the content I needed after a crappy start to the work week. Not trying to BS you, it's super amazing to see someone diligently apply themselves to figure out a thing and have a ton of fun doing it, publicly!

This was such an amazing idea you guys. I'm in a serious creative rut where nothing I make sounds good, my sampling is just me bonking keys and saying "meh" and a general lack of creativity is really slowing my development, mixed with growing guilt that I'm doing nothing with my GAS-induced pile of electronics. What I'm going to say is not in ANY way intended to diminish what Pollyanna achieved: I'm going to really mimic the approach that led to their creation and just try to remove my songwriting "inspiration" from the mix by covering something I already like in a new and creative way. Or heck, not even new and creative -- just figuring out how to make it sound good to me, whether that's close to the original or a new take. Figuring out how to make something sound cool is much easier when I don't have the added burden of trying to come up with a song to tie it together, which is ultimately what always puts me off. I'm not a good songwriter so I get frustrated very easily which leads to less time with my gear which means I'm not building critical muscle memory which means when I AM in the mood to create something I am constantly struggling with my gear which I don't know how to make sound like I want. An amazing circle of frustration :)

Removing the first part of the equation may be exactly what I need to get me moving forward!. At the very least maybe it'll get me away from "hummmmm what sounds good" to "ok this sounds good how do I make it"

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 3, 2021