Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

minusX posted:

Did it start after you updated to 12 or some other thing? I had some weirdness when I switched to a new device recently that was solved with a clear.

Seemed to coincide with the update to 12, yeah. e; could still be coincidence though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have an eSIM or something like that? I've no experience of them.

No eSIM, I checked my mother's phone as well (my Pixel 5) and nothing there either. She's also on Fi.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

ThermoPhysical posted:

I checked that too and it's not showing up at all. Preferred Network itself isn't even there.

Checked on my Pixel 4 XL running Android 12 and same thing.

I want a booster chip so I can get super fast wifi too.

Those settings are determined by your carrier. For whatever stupid reason some carriers lock you out of them. You can turn off 5G by entering *#*#4636#*#* in the dialler and changing preferred network in one of those menus. You'll want to change it whatever it's currently set to but without the NR (NR is 5g).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Pipski posted:

All of a sudden, the 3rd button on my Nova Launcher nav bar -- the square, the one that allows you to scroll between recent apps -- has completely stopped working. Dunno if it's Android 12 related (on a Pixel 5a) but anyone know how to get it going again? Anyone else had it happen?

I saw this on my 4xl after upgrading to 12, and also on the 6Pro. Usually turning the screen off for a few seconds fixes it. Otherwise changing the default home app corrects it. My assumption is that it's a Nova issue and will get fixed at some point.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wandler20 posted:

I removed my case and it's so much better. A little slick so I'll still throw it in a case in certain situations but otherwise I think no case is the way to go. My only concern is scratching the camera glass.

If I were god-king I'd require phones to have flat glass and a little protective lip around the screen and camera. That's all it would take to make me comfortable with going caseless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For those of you that didn't cash in on the Pixel A offer due to store madness, Google is now starting to send out redemption codes for a free copy. I just redeemed mine, 24th estimated delivery.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

For those of you that didn't cash in on the Pixel A offer due to store madness, Google is now starting to send out redemption codes for a free copy. I just redeemed mine, 24th estimated delivery.

Also, if your code doesn't work right away there may be an invisible zero space character at the end. Backspace a few times and retype the last few characters. Some folks on other forums were having problems with that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

NuclearWinterUK posted:

Those settings are determined by your carrier. For whatever stupid reason some carriers lock you out of them. You can turn off 5G by entering *#*#4636#*#* in the dialler and changing preferred network in one of those menus. You'll want to change it whatever it's currently set to but without the NR (NR is 5g).

Well poo poo. It's probably T-Mob doing it or something. Fi is basically a T-Mobile MVNO anyway now.

Thanks! I'll turn off 5G and see what's up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Well poo poo. It's probably T-Mob doing it or something. Fi is basically a T-Mobile MVNO anyway now.

Thanks! I'll turn off 5G and see what's up.

Fi basically refuses to put me on Sprint unless I force it to, even though I don't really get a T-Mobile signal here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm trying to see if I get better battery life with 5G off, is Accubattery still good? Google has obfuscated the battery stats a bit too much for this testing (I get why they did it, janitoring your phone is bad, I just want to test this).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Can someone who has a P6 on AT&T with working 5G service tell me what *#*#4636#*#* shows under Phone info for NR STATE and under Cell Info what shows under SRV. I have a feeling my phone isn't provisioned correctly but I can't find anyone who actually knows what is going on to check anything.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
The Verizon store at my local mall has a handful of Pixel 6/Pro cases. They weren't on display, I had to ask about them. There's a slim Verizon branded (just a small V on the side of the case) frosted plastic case I might actually keep for $20. They have a 30-day return policy so hopefully my other cases come in within that timeframe and I can decide what to keep.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Android Auto question for Pixel 6 havers:

I set it in my phone to tell it not to resume media after a phone call, but whenever I get off the phone, it still insists on staying on USB audio. It didn't do this with my Note, and it's annoying af to have to keep switching it back to the radio after a call.

Am I missing another setting somewhere?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Could be a setting on the car.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone know how to show 2 clocks on the lock screen, i.e. world clock? My brain must constantly grapple with two timezones due to remote work. My wife's Galaxy S10 does this, can't figure it out on Pixel 6.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My original ship date was 10/28 and was moved to 11/12-11/18. Sometime today, it moved up to 11/1-11/4 which seems odd because it's already 11/2.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The real question for Android 12 is can we add more than 4 types of clocks to out home screen at once?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Not really sure about the implications of this but apparently the power consumption of the display at low brightness is unusually high:

https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/1455577873209864198

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

smoobles posted:

Anyone know how to show 2 clocks on the lock screen, i.e. world clock? My brain must constantly grapple with two timezones due to remote work. My wife's Galaxy S10 does this, can't figure it out on Pixel 6.

Yes. Go to the Widgets menu, scroll down to Clock. Go all the way right to World. Add it to your homescreen. Tap it. Set the cities you want by pressing the +

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Not really sure about the implications of this but apparently the power consumption of the display at low brightness is unusually high:

I take all of these "analysis" with a grain of salt because we do not know the intended design decisions behind them.

For example, you know what I haven't seen complaints of? Green tint at lower brightness and other uniformity issues that have popped up on other devices (including the S21 Ultra). Gamma seems very well controlled on this device as brightness decreases. Maybe that increases power consumption? Who knows? There are a whole host of other things that go into a display other than power consumption and we don't know what design decision was made here that lead to higher consumption. So, taking it in isolation means nothing.

It's an interesting peek behind the curtain, but ultimately what matters is the whole device. I am so utterly tired of all the hyperbolic terms about everything "big fail" "absurd".

This is an offshoot of everyone trying to min-max everything. "I must keep brightness at 120nits since it's the minimum that I find I can see UI elements and it must be saving me power. Wait, its not saving me power?" *FASTBALLS DEVICE INTO WALL*

I'm also sick of people going "why didn't so and so manufacturer put Samsung's latest displays in their devices?" Yeah, it's because no one but samsung gets the latest displays in their devices (or apple that spends and ungodly amount of money with Samung to get something custom.) They keep that tech to themselves, it's the same reason why you don't see another device with ISOCELL HM3 and devices were only recently released other than Samsung that use the ISOCELL HM2. They keep the latest tech to themselves for a generation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ilkhan posted:

Could be a setting on the car.

Checked both. Were both set to off.

For me, it's a silly question because most of the time I listen to one radio station and it's available through their AA app. But I have a feeling it's a change that hit with 12, and it will become a BFD the next time my wife drives the car and AA flips to USB and not whatever lovely commercial radio station she was listening to.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've been extremely disappointed with my Pixel 4a's screen, since it has a flicker reminiscent of 60Hz CRTs of olden days. As in if I wave the screen in front of my eyes too fast, I can see like triplets of every bright line as they flicker on and off during movement.

More oddly, it seems incompatible with my glasses somehow, so if I look at the screen through the lenses, I get very pronounced chromatic aberration, where the top of an icon fringes cyan and the bottom red. My Nexus 4 didn't have it, and I can't really see it with the naked eye.

Is series 6 like that as well?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have perfect eyesight and no need for glasses so I couldn't help with that :smuggo:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If it helps (it doesn't) Apple users have been complaining about the same issue with Carplay since iOS 15.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seems some people are having phantom calling issues with the pixel 6. There's a reddit thread. My wife's phone called a former coworker that she hasn't talked to in years twice and mine called my mom. The second time her phone did it I was right beside her watching tv and she was nowhere near the phone. It was recording us on a voicemail which could have been awkward.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 3, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

darkgray posted:

I've been extremely disappointed with my Pixel 4a's screen, since it has a flicker reminiscent of 60Hz CRTs of olden days. As in if I wave the screen in front of my eyes too fast, I can see like triplets of every bright line as they flicker on and off during movement.

More oddly, it seems incompatible with my glasses somehow, so if I look at the screen through the lenses, I get very pronounced chromatic aberration, where the top of an icon fringes cyan and the bottom red. My Nexus 4 didn't have it, and I can't really see it with the naked eye.

Is series 6 like that as well?

I've not noticed any flicker on my 4a, for what it's worth. My glasses do the same chromatic abberation, but for me it's all sorts of stuff, not just my phone. I figured it was because I got really thin lenses for my prescription.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Welp my Pro is officially in FedEx hell.

Last Thursday night it definitely wasn't going to arrive on time and sure enough got delayed, so I requested pickup at a local store instead cause I wasn't sure If be home or available to grab it soon as it arrived and didn't want to take chances that it'd get nabbed if left right out front.

The redirect request for store pickup went through ok, but now it's been sitting in a Fedex facility somewhere in my city since Friday, and every single day since updates that it'll be ready for pickup the next day, then gets delayed again and just says pending once more, and moves nowhere.

Hopefully this is just the result of Fedex being horribly understaffed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Seems some people are having phantom calling issues with the pixel 6. There's a reddit thread. My wife's friend called a former coworker that she hasn't talked to in years twice and mine called my mom. The second time her phone did it I was right beside her watching tv and she was nowhere near the phone. It was recording us on a voicemail which could have been awkward.

Seems like the assistant has a mind of its own. drat advanced AI chips.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qkxoq0/my_pixel_6_phantom_called_someone_again/

My Pixel 5 thinks I'm asking it to do stuff all the time when I'm using Android Auto. I respond with "I wasn't talking to you" and the phone says "Oops."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

I was just coming to post that. He usually knows what he's talking about.

iPhone 13 screen for comparison draws 1/3 to 1/2 of this power, depending on the scenario. Might singlehandedly explain the middling P6P battery life.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 3, 2021

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Seems some people are having phantom calling issues with the pixel 6. There's a reddit thread. My wife's friend called a former coworker that she hasn't talked to in years twice and mine called my mom. The second time her phone did it I was right beside her watching tv and she was nowhere near the phone. It was recording us on a voicemail which could have been awkward.

FogHelmut posted:

Seems like the assistant has a mind of its own. drat advanced AI chips.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qkxoq0/my_pixel_6_phantom_called_someone_again/

My Pixel 5 thinks I'm asking it to do stuff all the time when I'm using Android Auto. I respond with "I wasn't talking to you" and the phone says "Oops."

Oh, so that's what that was. I've had it do this to me twice now. Weirdly both times it was the same phrase ("call Olympia"). The first time it interpreted it as Olympia Toyota, a car dealer we had placed calls to about 2 years ago. Today it just told me it couldn't find Olympia in my contacts. Both times I was not touching my phone at all, it was just sitting on a counter.

Weirdly, in the failed second one, it responded twice: once in my chosen assistant voice, then a couple seconds later in the default one.

Better to phantom call a business than an awkward call to an old acquaintance, I suppose.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
When I switched from iOS to Android, I remember having to unenroll my number from iMessage. If I switch back (currently on a P5 with a RCS enabled carrier), do I need to do anything with RCS before switching?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Yes. Go to the Widgets menu, scroll down to Clock. Go all the way right to World. Add it to your homescreen. Tap it. Set the cities you want by pressing the +

OP wanted it on the lockscreen, not the homescreen unfortunately.

Echophonic posted:

I've not noticed any flicker on my 4a, for what it's worth. My glasses do the same chromatic abberation, but for me it's all sorts of stuff, not just my phone. I figured it was because I got really thin lenses for my prescription.

Isn't this just polarized lenses?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 3, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

When I switched from iOS to Android, I remember having to unenroll my number from iMessage. If I switch back (currently on a P5 with a RCS enabled carrier), do I need to do anything with RCS before switching?

yes, rcs does NOT handle someone removing a sim card without turning chat features off. iirc all you need to do is toggle them off in settings on the phone??

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

sleepwalkers posted:

yes, rcs does NOT handle someone removing a sim card without turning chat features off. iirc all you need to do is toggle them off in settings on the phone??

Oh ok, that sounds easy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

That's....not true at all? I didn't touch anything to do with RCS, removed the SIM from my Pixel 5, put it into my 6 Pro, and RCS worked just fine off the bat. I didn't have to do anything. I used RCS with two people regularly and it resumed working right away without action.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Anandtech posted a great writeup on the Tensor:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17032/tensor-soc-performance-efficiency/7

boz
Oct 16, 2005

FunOne posted:

Can someone who has a P6 on AT&T with working 5G service tell me what *#*#4636#*#* shows under Phone info for NR STATE and under Cell Info what shows under SRV. I have a feeling my phone isn't provisioned correctly but I can't find anyone who actually knows what is going on to check anything.

NR STATE - NOT_RESTRICTED

SRV - R+P

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

LastInLine posted:

OP wanted it on the lockscreen, not the homescreen unfortunately.

Customer's needs met within scope of existing software, ticket closed, resolved.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I finally have my Pixel 6 and have it all set up. I like it a lot but I have just one complaint: the fingerprint sensor just won't work with a screen protector on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's....not true at all? I didn't touch anything to do with RCS, removed the SIM from my Pixel 5, put it into my 6 Pro, and RCS worked just fine off the bat. I didn't have to do anything. I used RCS with two people regularly and it resumed working right away without action.

i meant in their situation they called out, namely going from android to iphone with rcs enabled, sorry. rcs and/or the phone don't seem to have any idea how to handle that in my experience.