Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I would also take Charge Battery and strongly consider skipping. Auto Shields is ok but I'm not desperate for block yet and there's a strong potential for it to become a curse act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

Autoshields is a cheap 11 block that has extreme antisynergy with one of defect's major deck themes.

Even in those decks it's only a problem if you have specifically Loop, Echo Form, or one of like three relics, and only after you've already set up.

Plus, once you do set up, most turns any block card is gonna be a blank.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

At least we can all agree that Defect has the worst cards.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Claw is a defect card

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Defect has the worst attacks and skills, but the best powers.

Here's the question. Who has the better mechanic, Defect or Watcher?

Before you immediately look at me like I'm stupid, I'm speaking purely about the mechanic itself, orbs vs. stances. Not the cards.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Orbs are way better. Just a lot more versatility in how you can use them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MJeff posted:

Defect has the worst attacks and skills, but the best powers.

Here's the question. Who has the better mechanic, Defect or Watcher?

Before you immediately look at me like I'm stupid, I'm speaking purely about the mechanic itself, orbs vs. stances. Not the cards.

Much as it pains me because I love Defect, Watcher probably has the better mechanics. Orbs encourage and enable an incredibly passive playstyle that nothing else really does and its pretty common for late game Defect Decks to just become a race to put up your invulnerable wall of Frost and then GG.

Stances, for as poorly balanced as they are, encourage much more interaction and interactivity which I think probably makes them a 'better' mechanic.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm not sure how you split the mechanics from the cards from that class supporting that mechanic.

You would probably never take a Tantrum on any other class and Calm is pointless without a way to enter Wrath so Orbs seem to win hands down?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Disagree, if I'm doing a multicolor daily I will happily slam wrath onto ironclad or silent but orbs are always going to be am afterthought.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

Disagree, if I'm doing a multicolor daily I will happily slam wrath onto ironclad or silent but orbs are always going to be am afterthought.

I haven't played too many prismatic shard games but are you banking on it just being a blasphemy at that point?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm not sure how you split the mechanics from the cards from that class supporting that mechanic.

You would probably never take a Tantrum on any other class and Calm is pointless without a way to enter Wrath so Orbs seem to win hands down?

Tantrum would be great on some classes and you don't need Wrath for Calm to be good, just a way to exit Calm. Any of the 'Empty' cards, Blasphemy etc make it really good.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
id take charge battery and try to prioritize upgrading if i dont get a better target early on it but i just really like charge battery. the energy is often useful and opens up picking all sorts of cards if you get one or two early

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yeah in this situation Charge Battery is only worth it if you have a chonky card for it to power, like Hyperbeam or Doom and Gloom.

It is always worth having 4 energy on at least some turns in Act 1. Use Filter the Spire to try a guaranteed Neow swap into an energy relic and see how much easier every fight becomes. Charge Battery gives you that for free roughly every third turn.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I get that Auto-Shields is an awkward card, avoiding it in act 1 under the assumption you'll get a better block setup later that will invalidate it is maybe the wrong way to think about it. Who cares about the nebulous later if you need the block *now*? And if you get killed by attrition before that sure bet defense setup appears, oops! I wouldn't slam pick it or anything (my pick would also probably be Charge Battery) but if I suddenly had a whole frost orb kit suddenly appear in a freak burst of RNG luck I would just...pay some gold to remove it from my deck and that's that.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 31, 2021

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I imagine there’s significant cross over between Slay the Spire and Library of Ruina, so I’m posting this in both threads.

There is a FANTASTIC mod for StS which replaces all default enemies and events with Ruina inspired ones. Needless to say, there are massive spoilers, so if you care about plot don’t get it. Otherwise, it’s a truly remarkable mod which smoothly integrates a variety of Ruina mechanics into the game. I cannot emphasize enough how blown away I was when I started playing it.

Here’s the steam workshop link
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2396661789

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Do I take Tungsten Rod when I already have Combust+ and Rupture+ near the Act 1 Boss? Typing it out now I think the answer is "No" but it's such a good relic I've been sitting on this saved game for a week now.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Combust works with Tungsten Rod. I don't think Rupture does.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Do I take Tungsten Rod when I already have Combust+ and Rupture+ near the Act 1 Boss? Typing it out now I think the answer is "No" but it's such a good relic I've been sitting on this saved game for a week now.

Which boss? If it's Hex, you can still use burns to farm strength on Rupture and then hunt for other triggers (Hemo, Offering etc) in Act 2. If it's not hex, and you think you can beat it anyhow, I'd still be tempted to go for it.

John Murdoch posted:

Who cares about the nebulous later if you need the block *now*?

That's the rub--you probably don't, not with that offense.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would probably take the rod and build towards a passive damage deck and just forget about the rupture unless I had something really good to go with it already. Sure you could stick with the current combo, where you start building strength two per turn after you play two different powers at the cost of health... or you could completely remove the downside of combust damaging you.

Obviously if you've already got a few strength synergy cards and thats the direction youre building then skip it - but if the rupture is really all you've got I'd take the rod. Its an amazing relic. And on top of it all, if you do some find some nee self harm cards to continue building off the rupture, you now have a relic that mitigates how harmful they are so honestly its still pretty good even then.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 31, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I beta tested the gently caress out of Watcher but I honestly think stances are pretty boring. You rarely ever want to go into Wrath if you don't have a reliable way out of it, either by ending the fight or one of the cards that switch you out of the stance. It becomes an optimization exercise, rather than a risk:reward proposition.

Defect's orbs would be more interesting if Darkness orbs were better. There are some mods that introduce new mechanics to interact with orbs and orb slots, and I think it's a little bit of a shame that the STS devs didn't explore the orb system further because there's a lot more you could do with it. But, frankly, that's true for all 4 characters, so :shrug:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

I would probably take the rod and build towards a passive damage deck and just forget about the rupture unless I had something really good to go with it already. Sure you could stick with the current combo, where you start building strength two per turn after you play two different powers at the cost of health... or you could completely remove the downside of combust damaging you.

Obviously if you've already got a few strength synergy cards and thats the direction youre building then skip it - but if the rupture is really all you've got I'd take the rod. Its an amazing relic. And on top of it all, if you do some find some nee self harm cards to continue building off the rupture, you now have a relic that mitigates how harmful they are so honestly its still pretty good even then.

Agreed with this. You can always get more cards that work with rapture+. You can't get another rare relic that saves you 1 health every time you are hit.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Laguvulin as the first elite as Silent feels so bad :smith:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Does someone have a guide for getting mods to work? I've found a few but none of them are working.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

Laguvulin as the first elite as Silent feels so bad :smith:

Give me lag who I might be able to poison over the nob who doesnt let me use any of my skill heavy deck any day of the week on Silent, imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Does someone have a guide for getting mods to work? I've found a few but none of them are working.

You need to install ModTheSpire, BaseMod and STSLib before you start. After that it should be as simple as downloading the mod you want from the Workshop. What's going wrong?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Jedit posted:

You need to install ModTheSpire, BaseMod and STSLib before you start. After that it should be as simple as downloading the mod you want from the Workshop. What's going wrong?

Yeah, I figured that out shortly after posting. The instructions I found only mentioned ModTheSpire and not the other two. I ended up figuring it out by googling the error.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Give me lag who I might be able to poison over the nob who doesnt let me use any of my skill heavy deck any day of the week on Silent, imo.

Sorry, but all you were offered in your first ~4-5 card rewards were a dagger throw, a slice, quick slash, and a smattering of dodge and rolls, backflips, and preparations.

(Yes im trying to beat a20 with silent, no im not frustrated)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GlyphGryph posted:

Specifically lagavulin is impossible to beat with silent's starter deck without some other form of damage. Nob you have a chance but lagavulin can be a straight roadblock.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There is a reason I try not to hit early elites with Silent, that is true.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

and if you pick poison cards to kill lagavulin, then gremlin nob becomes unbeatable. There's only a few cards you can pick that make both fights winnable if you get an early elite.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Most common attacks make both beatable, though you might need more than one.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just got this game and I can't believe I didn't find it earlier. Done a few ironclad runs and won 2 enjoying the steadily ramping difficulty.

My first win was a weird deck, how do i show them on here like the pictures I've seen? I basically got to act 3 by repeating the card that let's you use your next attack twice and headbut to put them both at the top of my deck, got demon form in act 3 so it could scale a bit and that saw me through with some lucky potions and relics.

A1 win first time around I found easier because I ended up overflowing with relics. But the deck was much nicer to play. 2x battle trance a pommel strike and a 3x shrug it off, with a ghost armor and the 40 armor exhaust card I could just poo poo out block. Demon form, limit break and heavy blows/pummel did the rest.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Glad you're having fun! It's a great game. Enjoy the hell out of the journey. Ascension 1 is generally easier because you can down more elites and snowball.

I take a screen shot, copy and paste it into paint then snip it, paste it into imgur and copy a link down with [timg] link here [/t img] no space between the timg.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Thanks, but where is the screen in the game? Am I just spam clicking my way past it at the end of a run like an idiot or is it in a menu somewhere?

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Statistics --> Run History.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Tau Wedel posted:

Statistics --> Run History.

Thanks!!

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
300 hours in and I just realized that "master reality" syncs with dead branch. That was fun. I don't really play watcher much. Are there any cool builds I'm overlooking? I usually go stance dance but it gets boring fast.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

metachronos posted:

300 hours in and I just realized that "master reality" syncs with dead branch. That was fun. I don't really play watcher much. Are there any cool builds I'm overlooking? I usually go stance dance but it gets boring fast.

mantra

scry (i pulled this off only once though)

signature move with small deck (especially if you can grab an insanity and/or a 0 cost card draw colorless for it)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

metachronos posted:

Like Water and block every turn / Wreath of Flame (it stacks!) / Ragnarok

Nirvana / Foresight / Weave / Just Lucky / Cut Through Fate

Devotion / Battle Hymn / any +Mantra card

If you want something crazy to try to shoot for you can try to set up a Tantrum / Rushdown infinite using either Fear No Evil or Inner Peace to continuously push yourself back into Calm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
let's not forget random-rare-ing into alpha at the start of your run.