Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just now got what vibes I was getting from Purveyor: he feels like an oldschool Djinn or Efreet (only back then the third ability would have been a bonus for the opponent too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Most creatures just do nothing but take all your mana for the turn before they get doom bladed. This one actually helps your opponent first. I'm not sure it's good enough.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Emra-gull

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

Most creatures just do nothing but take all your mana for the turn before they get doom bladed. This one actually helps your opponent first. I'm not sure it's good enough.

The zombie dinosaur saw play despite having a worse drawback and no evasion, but you might be right. The gap from 3 to 4 cmc is probably the second biggest CMC gap in magic (1 to 2 is the biggest).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A Moose posted:

It's immune to doom blade. :smug:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/valimarmtg/status/1455652487881543681?s=21

https://twitter.com/coreybaumeister/status/1455637047453040643?s=21

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Graf Reaver is cool, it makes me think of my old friend Carnophage

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wait hang on. Exploit isn't Devour? It's a trigger not a replacement, right, can he exploit himself?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

new dune secret lair just dropped

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Huxley posted:

Wait hang on. Exploit isn't Devour? It's a trigger not a replacement, right, can he exploit himself?

Correct, you can sacrifice the creature with exploit as it enters the battlefield

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Huxley posted:

You can. He can exploit himself but you won't then get the exploit trigger, it's already out of play.

edit: actually, I'm not sure about this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

You can. He can exploit himself but you won't then get the exploit trigger, it's already out of play.

According to the rulings on Loathsome Curator:

You can sacrifice the creature with exploit if it’s still on the battlefield. This will cause its other ability to trigger.

So you should be able to play it and kill a planeswalker by sacrificing it

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Huxley posted:

Yes, that's how Exploit works, from the rulings on Gurmag Drowner:

quote:

You can sacrifice the creature with exploit if it’s still on the battlefield. This will cause its other ability to trigger.
(2015-02-25)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

According to the rulings on Loathsome Curator:

So you should be able to play it and kill a planeswalker by sacrificing it

I was thinking of instant speed kill spells I think, those can prevent the exploit triggered ability, when they can't with typical ETBs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AngryBooch posted:

Because the trigger on Exploit happens due to a permanent leaving the battlefield it's one of the category of triggered abilities that looks back at the game state just before the triggering event occurred

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

I was thinking of instant speed kill spells I think, those can prevent the exploit triggered ability, when they can't with typical ETBs

Yeah I think as it ETB exploit will trigger and then priority passes so the opponent can cast a killing spell. But then is exploit still on the stack? Could they sacrifice another creature or would the exploit ability just fizzle?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah I think as it ETB exploit will trigger and then priority passes so the opponent can cast a killing spell. But then is exploit still on the stack? Could they sacrifice another creature or would the exploit ability just fizzle?

If the Exploiter got removed from the battlefield, by murder, then yeah there's still the chance to sacrifice a creature. But when the sacrifice goes through, there's no Exploiter to have exploited it.

Exploit is just ETB may sac a creature. Every Exploiter has a triggered ability that makes it do something.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't really know what the story is for this set but I find myself very upset at these rude humans who are interrupting some vampires just trying to have a nice time and enjoy a wedding

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't really know what the story is for this set but I find myself very upset at these rude humans who are interrupting some vampires just trying to have a nice time and enjoy a wedding

It's enough to make your blood boil.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Adam and Eve not Olivia and Edgar

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Some good upgrades for the last set's zombie precon commander deck spoiled today

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This looks fun

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

th3t00t posted:

I didn't miss that. Doesn't seem like a big enough drawback.

4+ mana creatures that don't do anything for an entire turn cycle and aren't resilient to removal need to be extremely good and the metagame needs to be right for them to see play. This has enough stats that it's possible - Abyssal Persecutor and Desecration Demon saw some play, for instance - but there's very little chance it's a Standard defining card and a decent chance it sees no play at all. For instance I think it's probably worse than Ebondeath and that card sees no play. In a lot of ways the drawback is worse on this one too because if they Infernal Grasp it you're not just down 2 mana, you're also down a Blood token.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 3, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HootTheOwl posted:

This looks fun

Did you mean "miserable"? I think you meant "miserable". That pseudo helm of the hosts just staring at you from the graveyard.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Trepanation Blade went through development and design with the name "chainsaw" but isn't a chainsaw no matter how much maro lies about it, so I am glad, a decade later, they just have a loving chainsaw.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Want to keep any eye on clerics and see if something comes together, between this and Voice of the Blessed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/AirBubbles/status/1455732242282520582

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Finally, a counter to Bruvac.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
bloodvial vamp seems like a desecration demon that scales upward pretty fast

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think based on the goggles and hair that the character on Spiked Ripsaw is Reckless Stormseeker

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
So Spiked Ripsaw is going to be (renamed) in the 40k Commander deck then huh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, I am always amused when someone who gets back into magic breaks out "an old classic deck of theirs" and then does a looney toons bug-eyes at the price tag it runs for now

someone in the tradgames discord was pestered into putting their old mtg deck into archidekt and see how it turns out
https://archidekt.com/decks/2012291#Rot_Bringer

would that all of us could be lucky enough to have not hocked our amazing goods years ago and get this revelation thrust upon us

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hive-Heart Shaman
{3}{G}
Creature - Human Shaman

Whenever Hive-Heart Shaman attacks, you may search your library for a basic land card that does not share a land type with a land you control and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
{5}{G}: Create a 1/1 green insect creature token. Put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control. Activate only as a sorcery.

3/5

Dream-Chain Spirit
{1}{U}{U}
Creature - Spirit

Flying
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose up to one:
- Tap target creature
- Target creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step

3/1

Skull Skaab
{U}{B}
Creature - Zombie

Exploit.
Whenever a creature you control exploits a nontoken creature, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

2/2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, that's a really nice mana dork, that actually becomes a decent threat late game! neato!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, that's a really nice mana dork, that actually becomes a decent threat late game! neato!

And the Prince alt-art is a nice bonus too.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's a great mana dork. Loving that this set has a few cards with early game value that becomes late game value.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Agreed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/culticcube/status/1455875319655768073?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh man, is 5-colour green gonna be a thing?