Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

jokes posted:

Any game that is built around, or expects, tedious pre-buffing before each encounter can suck my loving dick. There had better be a “quick buff” button if they have buffs at all.

Buffs should be either extremely short, like 15s max, or a passive aura given by virtue of being with them, or a full action that you have to measure in an action economy, or any buffs that can’t be changed in combat

Good: combat-only buff that you need to spend a turn casting

Good: combat-only buff that is instant-cast and doesn’t last very long

Good: passive aura that paladins or whatever just emit to their party members

Bad: 3-minute duration, can be cast before a fight— then you just stack up as much as you can of these, making fights secondary to prepwork

Bad: 60-minute buffs of any stripe (exception: buffs applied by an event or a town thing in a game where you run around adventuring. Like a “well-rested” buff for an hour after you wake up in a 24-hour cycle)

Bad: food buffs, for example eating Angry Bacon gives you +2 damage for 480s. gently caress off.

Good: drugs. And also in games, drugs that give you a quick fleeting buff, especially if they have a longer term malus (like addiction or a reduced defense)

Good: stances that are mutually exclusive and are balanced around taking something away and giving you something in return (or just buffing I guess): up defense/down attack, down defense/up attack, that you flip on and off at will.

Bad: stances that aren’t changeable in combat

Bad: buffs you can only apply outside of combat but are just normal buffs. Like you can only cast “protect” outside of combat. This is just a penalty for not doing prepwork

So basically, you hate this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxICJHd518&t=31s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there's no buffs in dota 2, every game is just full of skinny little dweebs

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dpta 2 is the best videogame ever made but its not the most fun

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
it's whatever year this is, it's the future, and we still have "normal" or "hard" difficulty switches. why can't i make adjustments to enemy health or damage? i want enemies that have terrible aim but plenty of damage, or lots of health but don't take cover. we shouldn't still be having this same argument about cheats and difficulty. i got 14 sliders to adjust my character's facial structure, i can decide if my character's ears tilt 30 or 45 degrees, but i can't adjust any other aspect of the game because...
who cares how the game was "intended" to be played? this ain't paint by numbers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm clearly not very good at the game Back 4 Blood because I do not understand the point of the card system. It seems like a way to dramatically overcomplicate a pre-game loadout setup and make the game take
longer to start. Also this is its like single, solitary update to the Left 4 Dead formula so the game feels very archaic, like it was in licensing hell for a decade.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes. That is my enemy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dpta 2 is the best videogame ever made but its not the most fun

X-Com: Terror from the Deep is the best video game.

Followed closely by BotW.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

there's no buffs in dota 2, every game is just full of skinny little dweebs

theres bloodlust and ice armor and medallion but they removed ice armor since the last time i played lich i think

e: also i'm not a skinny dweeb i am a goon-sized Pizza Enjoyer

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Barudak posted:

I'm clearly not very good at the game Back 4 Blood because I do not understand the point of the card system. It seems like a way to dramatically overcomplicate a pre-game loadout setup and make the game take
longer to start. Also this is its like single, solitary update to the Left 4 Dead formula so the game feels very archaic, like it was in licensing hell for a decade.

I agree. The card system means we can't have Left 4 Dead versus on the normal maps and it makes it a massive pain in the rear end joining random games. Its like the developers never thought people might want to join games by themselves and assumed anyone that plays is with a team that can play an entire act. If you can't, gently caress you.

So much wasted potential in that game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The problem with iterating on a game like Left 4 Dead is that it’s just such a solid, good game already. Left 4 Dead 2 just wasn’t better imo and nothing in zombie gaming will beat those first 3 months or so of L4D1’s versus when nobody was particularly good at the game. As a result, if it’s not a lot better than L4D then what are we doing here?

Dead Air’s finale was loving fantastic. So was No Mercy’s, on that rooftop.

Man oh man I love(d?) L4D.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I've played left4dead a few times (even in couch co-op) and never really saw the appeal.
it's not very fun or engaging

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Cheating at multiplayer games is awful but sometimes it gives us good stories like this

Cybershell posted:

There are too many god drat hackers in this game now, but today I had a pretty good experience with them.

I was pubbing it up on Turbine and all of a sudden this heavy joins the enemy team and starts sliding around with speedhacks and killing everyone with aimhacks, pretty much business as usual on pub servers, but then all of a sudden this heavy on our team says "OH NO YOU DON'T" and turns on his own speed and aim hacks as well as a crithack. In retaliation the first heavy basically says "heh, this isn't even my final form" and turns on his perma-uber and crit hacks as well, as that annoying rear end halloween noisemaker spamming hack. The hacker heavy on our team does this same and turns on his invuln and noisemaker hacks (his was whatever the fireworks sound one is) and now there are two glowing heavies shooting a glowing laser stream of bullets at each other sliding around all over the place, one of them is red and sounds like spooky ghosts and the other is blue and sounds like exploding. That was the day that TF2 turned into Dragonball Z.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

left 4 dead was really cool for when it came out but uhhhh it's not 2008 anymore and nobody is lacking for solid co-op experiences

i honestly don't get the hype for b4b at all

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Left 4 Dead is a great game in theory but all the guns feel like airsoft guns and none of the enemies have any weight to them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Cheating at multiplayer games is awful but sometimes it gives us good stories like this

For anyone who finds this entertaining I highly recommend reading up on "MUGEN Cheapies":
https://mugen.fandom.com/wiki/Cheapie

I promise it will be one of the most bizarre and fascinating video game reads of 2021. It involves a tier list of MUGEN character types that were developed in an escalating bid to create the most devastatingly-unbeatable MUGEN character possible. I will spoil this one for you, which is not even the final form:

Frost-tier Cheapies, which are upgraded versions of Omed-tier cheapies in terms of coding. These cheapies use C# rather than M.U.G.E.N's standard C as their programming language, and can have a varying amounts of .exe files at their disposal. These cheapies are the first on this list to be considered malicious by disabling the task manager.

I don't know if it's real or fake but :shrug:

quote:

Controversy
Due to not functioning at all like regular characters, their inability to be K.O.'d through normal means and that they cannot be controlled by the player, among other things, cheapies have been the subject of dispute outside the cheapie community.

More recent cheapies (known as Postman, Secretary, malware or virus characters) use external .exe, .bat, .vbs, .dll and/or .ini files to remove characters from the user's computer, but can also disrupt the system by removing important system files and causing it to behave erratically. Because of this, the MUGEN Database stopped allowing further cheapies to be added to its articles to prevent the risk of malware characters being on the site.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 2, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

No I think they are already at the point of malware being on the site.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

The card system is a lot of fun as you get a lot of them, since the decks get a lot more interesting and specific. but you aren't wrong that it's basically just a weird way of doing loadouts. I find it odd there's no shuffling going on. They are always in the same order and you pick which ones you want, so there's zero randomness to it. Also they only let you have 15 so half way through a chapter you are just getting random basic cards, which sucks when I have like 100 cards unlocked. It's actually a fun system but it's not fully fleshed out and has some confusing decisions.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Left 4 Dead is a great game in theory but all the guns feel like airsoft guns and none of the enemies have any weight to them

This is what is great about back4blood. It's basically just left4dead except the guns feel like they hit like a truck and the gameplay actually has weight to it.

B4B is a flawed game, but honestly it's the most fun I have had with a co-op game ever. and that's including L4D. I just like it a lot better than those games because the gameplay feels so much better. I am just so sick of "co-op" games that just basically amount to looting and shooting together while not requiring any actual cooperation. B4B is super challenging and teamwork is really important at all times. I find it very engaging and beating a chapter on veteran is actually a bit of a thrill. I want to try Nighmare but I expect it to be impossible lol.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

veni veni veni posted:

I am just so sick of "co-op" games that just basically amount to looting and shooting together while not requiring any actual cooperation.

This made me think about playing the co-op missions in the Splinter Cell games and I honestly friggin loved em. Rolling and climbing walls and lights and just going like 'shasha! sha! spies!' was tons of fun.

Also, I didn't realize this is a sometimes unpopular opinion, but I also really loved Resident Evil 5. I didn't play it solo, right out of the box played it co-op with a friend through to the end and it was awesome. At one point in a level we both did a 'behind you!' and shot a zombie behind the other like we were actually in an 80s action movie.

I'm trying to think of what some of my other favourite co-op games were. Portal 2 was fun, Modern Warfare 2 I really liked their co-op sneaky missions. Having to co-ordinate quickly killing a group of 5 guys in a camp was pretty fun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

left 4 dead was really cool for when it came out but uhhhh it's not 2008 anymore and nobody is lacking for solid co-op experiences

i honestly don't get the hype for b4b at all

It's nostalgia

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

It's nostalgia

i thought most of the nostalgia died when l4d2 came out like exactly a year after the first one and killed any chances of new updates for it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I wasn't a huge fan of l4d2 for the same reason I really prefer firaxcom 1 to 2. It adds a poo poo ton of unnecessary complexity to a game that thrived on its simplicity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most co-op games are crap for the reasons stated above. The only thing offering a similar experience is L4D clones and most of the ones I have played are pretty meh.

I would say we are lacking in good co-op games, because I find 99% of co-op experiences totally boring. Either you have the generic single player game with co-op tacked on or looter shooters that just give enemies more health or whatever. It's rare games actually make use of cooperation well. usually I just think co-op is a distraction in games that would be more fun single player because so little thought is put into making it interesting for multiple people to play.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 2, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More co op games need to let me go all streets of rage and betray my partner at the end

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

veni veni veni posted:

B4B is super challenging and teamwork is really important at all times. I find it very engaging and beating a chapter on veteran is actually a bit of a thrill. I want to try Nighmare but I expect it to be impossible lol.

So I take it it's not something I can gently caress around in with bots like l4d huh

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

More co op games need to let me go all streets of rage and betray my partner at the end

Army of Two: Second Day let you do this at the end. The big bad gives a speech about sacrafice and doing what needs to be done or whatever and its clearly telegraphing a betrayel choice. Its supposed to be all insightful and wondering if you have it in you to kill your partner, but we were both hammering the betray button as fast as we could to see which one would kill the other. Dude didn't even finish his speech before I shot my friend dead until the clip was empty. I would have reloaded and kept on shooting if the game let me.

I think one of the Splinter Cell games had a multiplayer mode where you worked together to rob a bank but loot was split based on how many players survived. Turned out if you shot your teammates before leaving you got more loot. Never played it but it sounded interesting as hell.

Edit:

site posted:

So I take it it's not something I can gently caress around in with bots like l4d huh

The game has a really weird difficulty curve so playing with 3 bots is not recommended if you play with one other person and 2 bots the game gets really easy, much easier than having a team of 4 humans. When its 2 humans 2 bits the game spawns less infected, less specials, and a shitload more supplies. The bots are largely useless in combat but are great as walking supply dummies since they have unlimited items that are on cooldowns and have a shitload of damage resistence to tabk poo poo. So if you find one other semi competant person Veteran won't be that hard.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 2, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of l4d2 for the same reason I really prefer firaxcom 1 to 2. It adds a poo poo ton of unnecessary complexity to a game that thrived on its simplicity.

i loved XCOM and beat it both on PC and later on iOS, but I held off on 2 until there was a pretty deep sale and bought it for the switch

what the gently caress lol, there’s so many more timers and obtuse ways to really kneecap yourself early, I just can’t get into it at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

site posted:

You can, but it's a bit more complicated than that. You can play solo with bots just fine but solo mode has everything unlocked by default, but you also don't unlock anything for co-op play. It's sort of an "open" mode. To play the normal campaign you need at least one other player. From there you can just make the match private and play with 2 bots though. So it's not like you need to have a full group. The bots are annoyingly dumb but they are also a little over tuned making the game a bit easier a lot of the time (but annoyingly hard when they aren't being competent)

In rookie difficulty you can dick around pretty much. it's pretty easy. Veteran (normal) is pretty tough though. You can still play with bots due to their over tuned nature, but having 3+ people is the funnest way to play.

I've played in all sorts of configurations and it's always fun, but I don't think I'd buy it to just make a solo experience out of it tbh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rockman Reserve posted:

i loved XCOM and beat it both on PC and later on iOS, but I held off on 2 until there was a pretty deep sale and bought it for the switch

what the gently caress lol, there’s so many more timers and obtuse ways to really kneecap yourself early, I just can’t get into it at all

XCOM 2 has superior modding capability.

https://i.imgur.com/rxN99By.mp4

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Online matchmaking is what really kneecapped modern day co-op. When you’re put together with rando’s who you have no rapport with and because you are put with new people every match cannot build a rapport with. And the dev cannot guarantee you have a mike or indeed anyway of actually communicating with your teammates. You can’t actually design the game around collective problem solving or coordination because the players might not actually have the means to do so.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Online matchmaking is what really kneecapped modern day co-op. When you’re put together with rando’s who you have no rapport with and because you are put with new people every match cannot build a rapport with. And the dev cannot guarantee you have a mike or indeed anyway of actually communicating with your teammates. You can’t actually design the game around collective problem solving or coordination because the players might not actually have the means to do so.

Mics are overrated. What you need is a good ping/callout system, well at least for games like Left 4 Dead. Vermintide had a good one and still had morons thinking you needed a mic and it's like why? Do I really need a mic when my character is perfectly capable of calling out threats? I've been playing Legion TD 2 and don't even bother with chat for the most part because the emote wheel is just easier.

Sure more complicated games might benefit from a mic over typing/emotes but I'm not a professional FPS player so it doesn't really matter.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 3, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss being good at videogames, because playing competitive games while being bad is extremely unfun and I have no idea how people carry on doing it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elentor posted:

I miss being good at videogames, because playing competitive games while being bad is extremely unfun and I have no idea how people carry on doing it.

this is why i just play with bots. haven't played l4d online in like a decade, i don't really want to shell out 60 bucks to get my rear end stomped in lol

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Party chat really killed off cooperative mic work because most people just chat with their friends on their private channel nowadays. I miss the old-school days where everyone just had a mic and used it. Even if people just openly shat on one another it was good entertainment.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

I think it's they don't care, and games tend to eventually rank you with people your level so it's still fun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

site posted:

this is why i just play with bots. haven't played l4d online in like a decade, i don't really want to shell out 60 bucks to get my rear end stomped in lol

I understand that, but alas playing with bots doesn't really give me any satisfaction, though. To be honest I just enjoyed the feeling of mastering something and seeing the results through self-improvement in a PvP environment, the game itself is just a venue for that. But none of that is possible when you are mediocre, leaving me with a weird feeling of frustration. I don't know if it's me getting old, lovely reflexes, priorities in life changing, rampaging unemployment preventing me from focusing on my hobbies, or a mix of all of these. The last time I tried to play LoL it felt like an entirely new game (because of all the item revamps and characters etc) and I got my rear end kicked and couldn't help but feel how improving was infinitely distant.

Duck and Cover posted:

I think it's they don't care, and games tend to eventually rank you with people your level so it's still fun.

You must be right by definition, but also people seem to rage a lot in competitive games and they get a level of anger that seems sort of representative of, honestly, I don't know. Like, I'm complaining about feeling frustrated but I don't really rage/get angry when playing games, maybe that's the outlet to losing that allows people to play these games, be bad, and still have fun. Maybe raging was the healthy solution all along.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

is pepsi ok posted:

Cheating at video games, much like taking steroids, is only bad if you are competing at something.

LOL. Steroids are good. The problem is US drug policy, not people using supplements that allow them to work even harder.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Even competitive shooters suck because of matchmaking. Having distinct Counterstrike servers with their own regular playerbase and names to watch out for every night was fun as hell

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

i thought most of the nostalgia died when l4d2 came out like exactly a year after the first one and killed any chances of new updates for it

Nostalgia doesn't die it just wanes for awhile

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

XCOM: EU - timed bomb missions? Ok, cool enough
XCOM: EW - okay more timers but at least you can have a robocop
XCOM 2 - everything’s timed, hope you like unnecessary mini games on top of the base building
XCOM 3 is just going to be a calculus class by this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Has their ever been an anti cheat system in a competitive game that instead of banning cheaters, just tags them as such and tries to have them match against each other? I would loving love to watch a match of 5vs5 aimbotting idiots furiously mad at the « other » cheating.