Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CelticPredator posted:

It’s like that for everyone. Unless your food is completely inedible just deal with it tbh.

Nah. I'm going to politely ask for it to be fixed because I actually want what I'm ordering if I'm actually ordering food from a restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you’re nice about it its okay. A lot of people aren’t sadly.

I don’t get it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Being polite and not screaming at people is like a lost concept to 1/4 of everyone that orders food. It is baffling.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fizzymercury posted:

Being polite and not screaming at people is like a lost concept to 1/4 of everyone that orders food. It is baffling.

1/4 is generous IMHO.

Anyway, I have a peeve that I get peeved about occasionally. Back in September 2018, I was getting ready to go grocery shopping when I heard a cat crying outside my apartment. I opened the door, and he just strolled in like he belonged there. I asked around my hallway, but no one was missing a cat.

This cat was clearly healthy and clean and well cared for, so I knew he belonged to someone. I took him to the vet and checked him for a chip, no dice. I made fliers, and took them to the local shelters, vets offices, and the nearby apartments all on a very rainy day.

On the 4th day, I finally get a call (yes I made them send me a picture to verify). Dude lived in the next building over. I got a thank you and that was it. Not that I wanted a reward, but he just didn't seem that grateful, especially since I expended a whole lot more time and effort to find the owners than the owners did to find their cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1h3iPJ5Jk

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dip Viscous posted:

"You're impossible to get ahold of! Every time I call I just get a recording saying to leave a message!"
"Have you tried leaving a message?"
"No, why? :confused:"

Constantly. I don't think I've ever had someone actually leave a message except for scammers.

Or when they do leave a message, it's something vague with no detail, like "hey call me back thanks". Cool, so you want my help but don't want to tell me what you need help with, that's a super solid way to get me to ignore you.

Holiday related peeve: STOP GETTING CHRISTMAS IN MY loving HALLOWEEN. I went to a local pumpkin farm & they had a couple small stages with music, but it was people singing Disney songs from Frozen 1 & 2. Just...NO. Go the gently caress away. I've avoided listening to or watching Frozen garbage since the first movie came out, everything about it is annoying as hell. Halloween needs a rule where there's NO Christmas-theme bullshit, I'm here for spooky, scary, cool things, not people singing overplayed Disney songs off-key that give me a loving headache.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Christmas won the war and Halloween is in its Weimar hyperinflation phase.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anyone who thinks you can mix Christmas and Halloween doesn't know Jack

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
As someone who has had to watch the Frozen movies several hundred times, I can confirm that they are NOT in any way Christmas films.

What they are, however, is a marketers dream and cast iron guarantee that you will get little girls to apeshit and want to buy whatever it is you're selling.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Holiday related peeve: STOP GETTING CHRISTMAS IN MY loving HALLOWEEN.

As a long-time programmer I've got to say it's an easy mistake, I mean Oct 31 = Dec 25.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

As a long-time programmer I've got to say it's an easy mistake, I mean Oct 31 = Dec 25.
The IT guy at work made this joke today and then spent approximately 20 years explaining the joke to me. It's not a joke that required a base whatever lecture but boy howdy y'all can't wait to give one.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

fizzymercury posted:

The IT guy at work made this joke today and then spent approximately 20 years explaining the joke to me. It's not a joke that required a base whatever lecture but boy howdy y'all can't wait to give one.

Did he explain the way that bases are coded in C-like languages? If so you'll understand why my sister and father thought it was hilarious that I gave her an 040th birthday card one year and then 0x21st birthday card the next year but my mother was completely baffled.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did he explain the way that bases are coded in C-like languages? If so you'll understand why my sister and father thought it was hilarious that I gave her an 040th birthday card one year and then 0x21st birthday card the next year but my mother was completely baffled.
He didn't and I only think I understand the joke, but I'm absolutely gonna ask him to explain that to me tomorrow to get him talking. Weirdly enough he got through to me on something with maths and I'm dyscalculic af. Maybe I'll make a friend that can teach me number things without tearing his hair out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There needs to be an auto-skip-intro option on all streaming platforms.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Whenever a customer wants me to repeat what I said over the phone, but instead of saying "What was that?" or "Sorry?" they just go "MA'AM!?" in a tone that sounds like they urgently want to tell me something/yell at me some more (because call center).

So I reflexively say "Yes?", confusing them as well, and we both just sit there for a few seconds until I remember what they mean. The pet peeve is that I still can't process it right away.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It is sort of an opaque way of asking for clarification

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've got a couple of friends that go "haaaa?" instead of "huh?" or "didn't quite catch that" and it grates

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ugh I know someone who asks "what?" like "whuut"? and they sound so stupid like a cartoon hick

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always say "Say whaaaaaaat?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNmLPATW0s

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There needs to be an auto-skip-intro option on all streaming platforms.

Also skippable commercials on newer on-demand shows

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh, also she responds to texts with "mmk"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, also she responds to texts with "mmk"
:sever:

My new peeve is my Android phone's storage filling up and what I suspect is a big reason for it. I have 64GB onboard space (which used to be a lot) and the biggest MicroSD card my phone supports; I am scrupulous about moving apps and setting storage to my SD card whenever I can, and I keep all my media there. (Despite rumors about using the SD card as a seamless virtual extension of the onboard space, I can find no way to make this happen.)

I've used Hangouts ever since it was available for Android; with Hangouts approaching EOL (no firm date yet given), Google was haranguing me to switch from Hangouts to Chat, so I did, a month or so ago. Now, when you'd take a photo from within Hangouts, it would hand everything over to the native/default camera app, let me do my thing, then switch back to Hangouts to do the actual sending. Chat has its own camera subroutine, so it takes photos without involving the camera app.

My camera is set to store all photos and videos on the SD card. There's no option to do this in Chat, so every photo I take within Chat is another ~3.5MB dumped into an obscure directory in my rapidly dwindling onboard storage space. I think I have less than a gig left.

The system directories also seem to be taking up way too much space, and I'm not sure what I can do about that. :( Assiduously clearing the cache only accomplishes so much. I do have my eye on a new phone (with quadruple the storage space :eyepop:), but my S9 is otherwise doing great and serving me well--it even has a new battery. But if I can't fix this storage issue...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hirayuki posted:

:sever:

My camera is set to store all photos and videos on the SD card. There's no option to do this in Chat, so every photo I take within Chat is another ~3.5MB dumped into an obscure directory in my rapidly dwindling onboard storage space. I think I have less than a gig left.

I mean, I know a large part of that 64GB is system files and apps/app data that can't be moved to the SD card, but seems odd to blame the Chat camera with its piddly 3.5MB pictures for the loss of space.

Like, let's say of that 64GB you have only a small 5GB of free space you can work with after system files and apps....It would take almost 1,500 pictures at ~3.5MB each to hit 5GB...how many pictures you taking just from within the chat app, and why aren't you deleting them?

My guess is something else is eating up that space faster than the chat camera. I would download a space analyzing utility to see what really is using that space. You say "S9" so I assume that's Samsung? I would bet money it's some weird Samsung app/utility that's downloading weird updates or caching something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I couldn't figure out why my phone was full. Turned out that it was apple podcasts downloading every single new episode of every single subscribed podcast.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean, I know a large part of that 64GB is system files and apps/app data that can't be moved to the SD card, but seems odd to blame the Chat camera with its piddly 3.5MB pictures for the loss of space.
It's a drop in the bucket, for sure. My peeve has more to do with being strongarmed into an app that doesn't let me store stuff externally. See below.

DrBouvenstein posted:

My guess is something else is eating up that space faster than the chat camera. I would download a space analyzing utility to see what really is using that space. You say "S9" so I assume that's Samsung? I would bet money it's some weird Samsung app/utility that's downloading weird updates or caching something.
Definitely something along these lines. I'm using the Storage Analyzer & Disk Usage app to figure out what's taking up all that space, but so far :iiam:. I'm open to suggestions for better utilities, free or otherwise, because this is a pain in the rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I couldn't figure out why my phone was full. Turned out that it was apple podcasts downloading every single new episode of every single subscribed podcast.
Yyyep. After Google shut down their music app (storage set to SD), I turned to Google Podcasts, which very happily duplicated all of my downloaded podcasts straight onto internal storage. No option to offload them, either. Goddamn, Google, I'm seeing a pattern here! :argh:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I am absolutely convinced Samsung started hiding magical 1gb pixels in invisible folders to get me to upgrade my S9, and I bet they're doing it to you too.

No I don't understand anything about the technology, but I'm right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My pixel 3a was getting on me about space, and it turned out I hadn't deleted podcasts I had listened to in a long while. Of course the cleaning feature doesn't bother to alert me to those files.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ugh, I'm in the same boat about storage bloat. I've purged almost everything but it's still in the red.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

As someone who has had to watch the Frozen movies several hundred times, I can confirm that they are NOT in any way Christmas films.

What they are, however, is a marketers dream and cast iron guarantee that you will get little girls to apeshit and want to buy whatever it is you're selling.

:wrong:

Both released in November of their respective years - meaning after Halloween but before Christmas. I'll die on this hill that the Frozen series is the worst, most annoying set of holiday movies ever made. I wish I had a Menzel Mute button so I didn't have to hear those godawful loving songs ever again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There is an actual Frozen Christmas special but the movies aren't Christmas movies.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I don't have any third party apps installed on my phone apart from an alternative camera that I like and one for my bank, I don't store any photos or videos on it longer than it takes me to get home and dump them to my PC, I don't think I've ever opened a web browser even once, but my 64 GB still hovers around 70% full.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
When people have their home address number in cursive writing. gently caress off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

When people have their home address number in cursive writing. gently caress off.

Oh that poo poo is bullshit. I had to deliver food for a while and I wish I had a smartphone then because people do all sorts of ridiculous stylizations with what's meant to be a clear identifier

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hey idiots, don't hand out bubble gum on Halloween to children who are clearly too young to not know the difference between it and regular candy.
My 3 year old niece nearly choked on a piece of Hubba-Bubba but luckily my dad, who was a first responder for decades, knew what to do.
Then we had to try to explain why I, her cool and awesome uncle, was taking things out of her bag of "tweats".
Smarten up.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Hey idiots, don't hand out bubble gum on Halloween to children who are clearly too young to not know the difference between it and regular candy.
My 3 year old niece nearly choked on a piece of Hubba-Bubba but luckily my dad, who was a first responder for decades, knew what to do.
Then we had to try to explain why I, her cool and awesome uncle, was taking things out of her bag of "tweats".
Smarten up.
Good lord that's irresponsible. For real people need to think more on Halloween. One guy was giving out full size bars and more power to him, I would have loved that as a kid. Telling a 3 year old he can't have the whole thing at once was one hell of a ride that I shouldn't have had to take. Just give kids tiny candy. They're getting pounds of it already, drat.

Someone gave all the kids sticker sheets and had to go around the neighborhood the next morning peeling stickers off of drat near every flat surface. She's a teacher, how did she not see that coming?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also who keeps giving out popcorn balls, it's not the 1950s anymore

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
People who join Teams meetings wearing baseball caps. You're sat in your own house, in a business meeting. Take it off you loving dweeb.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

fizzymercury posted:

One guy was giving out full size bars and more power to him, I would have loved that as a kid. Telling a 3 year old he can't have the whole thing at once was one hell of a ride that I shouldn't have had to take. Just give kids tiny candy. They're getting pounds of it already, drat.

My sister’s neighbour gave my niece a few big sized chocolate bars before coming to my parents’ place to trick or treat, and she gave these bars to them because she loves her grandparents. She also made sure every one of us had a Smartie each time she ate one. :3:
I friggin love that kid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My sister’s neighbour gave my niece a few big sized chocolate bars before coming to my parents’ place to trick or treat, and she gave these bars to them because she loves her grandparents. She also made sure every one of us had a Smartie each time she ate one. :3:
I friggin love that kid.

As of now, same.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate security questions where the answer is something that could potentially change over time. “What brand of shampoo do you use?” Probably not the same one forever! “What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?” That isn’t likely to change, but maybe it will. “What’s your favorite book/game/tv show, who’s your favorite actor/author, etc” ok well what if you find new favorites or one of them gets brainworms. Also the weirdest one: “What’s your favorite smell?”

these were all from a bank.

edit: also they made me pick 5 of them, the fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Perfect Element posted:

People who join Teams meetings wearing baseball caps. You're sat in your own house, in a business meeting. Take it off you loving dweeb.

My peeve is companies requiring webcams to be on. If I'm working from home, I'm not going to be in work clothes. Plus my home desk sucks for work - my monitor is pretty much as wide as the desk itself, so even opening my laptop to put the cam on would require shoving off my massive pile of notes or dragging over a coffee tableto move the laptop to, which I'm not going to do. Seeing my face doesn't help the work get done any faster.