Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The best comedy album is either Carlin’s “Class Clown” or Jackie Martling’s “Hotdogs and Donuts”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Odddzy posted:

You might be thinking of Bobcat Goldthwait who also had the screaming thing going in his act.

I am well aware that they're two different people (they did have that phone battle that they replayed a lot on the HSS), but now I recall that Bobcat was friends with Kurt Cobain, which Howard mocked him for after Kurt's suicide (of course). Didn't know that he opened for them though.

I always wondered how the comedy-to-music dynamic would work -- I know Tool wanted to try it with the Mr. Show guys, and they had some really funny ideas, but the fans were having none of it and booing them all off the stage.
https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/what-happened-when-tenacious-opened-for-tool/

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I gotta get off this stage, otherwise I'm gonna be up here for another hour.....BACK! Get it!?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm sure all goons ITT have heard Craig Gass' impression of Kinison, but if you haven't, here it is, among other absolutely perfect impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1zxw0BTvI

Seriously, his Walken is so good that it literally ruins everyone else's. Jay Mohr is a jackass.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zoben posted:

Agreed about them buying the hype. I didn't really know much about Dice in the 80's/90's other than that he was a big "shock" guy and was really popular. My dad, brother and I were big Kinison fans so I think we didn't like Dice for whatever reason since there was some kind of rivalry (keeping in mind I was born in 1980 so I probably shouldn't have been listening to either of them at that time). Anywho, like 5 years ago a friend of mine was telling me about how Dice was actually a parody character he created, and the humor comes from how over the top and ridiculous it is, as well as how lots of the bonehead fans idolized him as a "real" figure. So we got stoned and watched The Diceman Cometh, which I'd never seen before and I was dying laughing because I kind of "got" it at that point. Not like I try to dissect comedy too much, nor so I think that Dice's act is some kind of subversive masterwork like Norm's Saget roast, but the whole thing is just so absurd that I couldn't help but enjoy it. Plus I already loved Dice Gottfried so all the tics and exaggerated smoking moves made more sense after that.

Like most people I look back at things I loved as a kid and am a bit taken aback about how poorly they aged, and Kinison was a big one for me. I relistened to some albums and he had some amazing bits for sure, but to me a lot of it relied on the screaming character too much, and obviously the uncomfortably long anti-gay poo poo was super cringey. Not everything is timeless in its impact though, I also look back at the super random and wacky humor of SA in the early 2000's and I scratch my head as to why I loved it so much

Did he really open for Nirvana? I can't find anything about that online, I would just be a bit surprised given how much homophobic + sexist material Sam had done

Back in college, I tried reading Will Rogers, because I'd seen so many mentions of how funny he was. (Spoiler: it was not funny at all.)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Szyznyk posted:

The best comedy album is either Carlin’s “Class Clown” or Jackie Martling’s “Hotdogs and Donuts”.

I prefer Sgt Pecker.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

prefect posted:

Back in college, I tried reading Will Rogers, because I'd seen so many mentions of how funny he was. (Spoiler: it was not funny at all.)

Nothing ages worse than comedy. Look at those AFI comedy movie lists and try to watch something like some like it hot or tootsie. I’m sure at the time they were hilarious, but wow those aren’t funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Nothing ages worse than comedy. Look at those AFI comedy movie lists and try to watch something like some like it hot or tootsie. I’m sure at the time they were hilarious, but wow those aren’t funny.

Perfect case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2-tiiZz6pk

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Spacemonkey57 posted:

For anyone curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Laughs

Caddyshack being all the way down at 71 is criminal.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuvX63Q6ga4

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Haaamburger this is a definitely comedy gimmick that Bobby Hill would understand completely.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The day the laughter died is incredibly funny. To be at the top of your career and have Rock Rubin produce a double album where you bomb is legit hysterical and shows Dice had a true comedic mind.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Loved when Artie would recite this

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

For anyone curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Laughs

Caddyshack being all the way down at 71 is criminal.

To be fair, that list was stupid even when it was released. It's AFI, so it's more about "comedy as art" than "comedy as funny" as this thread has been discussing. I wouldn't consider most of the movies on that list even comedies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lifespan posted:

To be fair, that list was stupid even when it was released. It's AFI, so it's more about "comedy as art" than "comedy as funny" as this thread has been discussing. I wouldn't consider most of the movies on that list even comedies.

All the AFI lists are just "here's a list of movies we think will get news coverage".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I usually skip most of the show and only listen to celebrity interviews. I guess Brent is gone? He's back with Bubba? And Bubba is broke and delivering food for a living?

Edit - Benji's gimmick is still stupid and tired and has not changed in 15 years. I'm going to go back to not listening to staff drama.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 2, 2021

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I usually skip most of the show and only listen to celebrity interviews. I guess Brent is gone? He's back with Bubba? And Bubba is broke and delivering food for a living?

Edit - Benji's gimmick is still stupid and tired and has not changed in 15 years. I'm going to go back to not listening to staff drama.

Bubba pretty much nuked any chance of getting a legit gig when he got busted trying to manipulate the Nielsen ratings in the dumbest way possible

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Brent has been gone for a while. Most recently he'd tried launching a Twitch channel as a way to promote his girlfriend's OnlyFans account. He also loves to argue with /r/howardstern and send DMCA no matter how much they troll him. I doubt he's back with Bubba but anything is possible.

Bubba also has a Twitch channel and I'm not even sure if he's on radio anymore. He's pretty much done after being convicted of fixing ratings

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I thought I heard Brent in the background of Bubba's phone call today.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The only reason I've ever heard of this guy is from a Family Guy (or Cleveland Show, tbh I don't remember) reference. I didn't realize how...real the reference was.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtMFPdDG284

drat robin so hot

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

god drat, they are 38, 36 and 35 in that.

first stern clip i ever listened to was dieon sanders hosting a beauty pageant when i was like 17 and here i am 35 now watching them have all that fun at my current age...there's folks on this forum not even born when this was recorded!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Artie, Budapest Gambit is a dumb name for a band :colbert:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I do not find Gilbert funny at all, even in short bursts

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

first stern clip i ever listened to was dieon sanders hosting a beauty pageant when i was like 17

Missouri ask...

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

John Romero posted:

the day the laughter died is one of the best stand up albums of all time

I started listening to this and it actually is pretty funny with the context of what he's trying to do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

I started listening to this and it actually is pretty funny with the context of what he's trying to do.

This is the same premise of Tim Heidecker's whole set here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gnnFVRlucg

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

You really have to listen to it all the way through. Toward the end where he’s asking if there are any hunchbacks in the crowd and completely baffling everyone with “call you back in an hour, HOUR BACK! GET IT?” it moves beyond shock and filth and becomes a work of absurdist genius IMO.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm at the part where he roasts a guy who's there with his 21 year old daughter. Absolutely filth, vile and hilarious.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dice's wealth in the 80s came exclusively from guys like Ronnie Mund

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
*Dice Gottfried voice

LETS GO gently caress SOME WHORES AAAAOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the same premise of Tim Heidecker's whole set here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gnnFVRlucg

Tim's thing lately is blatantly doing bits from other comedians and I can't tell if it's intentional or not. It probably is, but it feels really hacky for a guy who has enough creative juice to do his own thing. The Trial was probably the last thing I enjoyed from Tim. I'm a little burnt out from it. He's much better when he's doing stuff with Eric than solo imo

e: I should correct myself - it is 100% intentional on his part, he's lampooning bad comics, I know

barnold fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 4, 2021

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

barnold posted:

Tim's thing lately is blatantly doing bits from other comedians and I can't tell if it's intentional or not. It probably is, but it feels really hacky for a guy who has enough creative juice to do his own thing. The Trial was probably the last thing I enjoyed from Tim. I'm a little burnt out from it. He's much better when he's doing stuff with Eric than solo imo

e: I should correct myself - it is 100% intentional on his part, he's lampooning bad comics, I know

I'll even flip this in that I only like him when he is playing things straight like in Bridesmaids. I was reminded tonight of the time that I went to see him and Eric live in the early days of Tim and Eric and it was the worst loving live show I have ever seen (I really think Tom Goes to the Mayor was the only good thing they made as a duo). It's very easy to hit "trying so hard it isn't funny" and to pull it back around, that is a common problem on Stern in the past couple of years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i liked tim heidecker in eastbound and down season 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udJzl892hyI

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I'll even flip this in that I only like him when he is playing things straight like in Bridesmaids.

Even then I'm like, "Ok, is he acting ironically or is he being serious?"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Lifespan posted:

I'll even flip this in that I only like him when he is playing things straight like in Bridesmaids. I was reminded tonight of the time that I went to see him and Eric live in the early days of Tim and Eric and it was the worst loving live show I have ever seen (I really think Tom Goes to the Mayor was the only good thing they made as a duo). It's very easy to hit "trying so hard it isn't funny" and to pull it back around, that is a common problem on Stern in the past couple of years.

I saw them on tour with John C. Reilly in the early 2010s at some point and while I don't think it was the worst show I've ever seen, a lot of bits went on way. too. loving. long. I felt like this the entire time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 4, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I asked a buddy of mine what he thought of Time and Eric. "I think they are stupid but before I know it I've watched 10 videos of theirs on YouTube"

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

barnold posted:

I saw them on tour with John C. Reilly in the early 2010s at some point and while I don't think it was the worst show I've ever seen, a lot of bits went on way. too. loving. long. I felt like this the entire time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Mine was in early 2007 for their first "Great Job" tour. My wife didn't watch the show and I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but tickets were cheap and they were playing at our favorite little venue. I remember buying tickets while saying out loud "This is either going to be hilariously odd or a total poo poo show." After about 45 minutes of them just playing clips from their show and then doing something odd for a few minutes at a time, we just left.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Sounds like Charlie Sheen's "comedy" tour he did at the height of his meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004