Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mmm yes, going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

https://www.gamersfirst.com/fallenearth/

Here we go! Who's ready for some extreme jank?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't know what this is but I'm installing it.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Kevin Bacon posted:

Downloading now this is gonna be great..

Edit: Never played this game and I can honestly say I'm enjoying it more than new world.

And I dont have to run 20 mins both ways to complete a quest.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 29, 2021

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
gamers first dot com

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kevin Bacon posted:

I loving loved this game when it launched. My friend and I bought it on the first day and spent like a year just loving around in the most pointless, broken, empty but incredibly fun world I've seen in almost any MMO. It's an off brand synthesis of Mad Max and a little bit of Fallout but PVP and crafting centric and the end game in the original version was medium scale organized PVP over resource nodes, but since everyone had the same silver mad max style roadster, it largely manifested itself in these absurd fleets of almost sci-fi cars rolling around in groups and then silly looking people leaping out of them to spam totally broken abilities and try to claim what, if I remember correctly, were basically just concrete squares and parking garages that spawned crafting stuff required for higher level items.

FE was a truly bizarre game with a lot of strange systems but I absolutely loved it for awhile. My buddy loved it for longer than I did and ended up in one of the three PVP guilds that dominated our server, played for six months longer than I did until it became evident that the game was completely dead because the only people playing were the same 200 people in those three guilds and the other straggler guilds. also at one point the devs directly intervened in stuff on behalf of certain players and guilds which really pissed people off.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh, so it's a vibe that crosses Foxhole and Albion Online eh?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

I don't know what this is but I'm installing it.

MMO CHAT: I don't know what this is but I'm installing it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The story seems really bizarre. Like they start out going "oh yeah you're a clone, you can respawn" and I was like ok cool in-universe reasons for immortality, that's kinda fun. But then at the end of the tutorial they're like "yeah and hte persistent story is you can't respawn anymore!" and like... surely you can still respawn, right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kevin Bacon posted:

Oh man, I haven't seen that company since I last played APB reloaded about 7-8 years ago.

To their credit they keep games with miniscule populations online seemingly indefinitely.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Oh man, I haven't seen that company since I last played APB reloaded about 7-8 years ago.

To their credit they keep games with miniscule populations online seemingly indefinitely.

It seems like they're pretty sincere about relaunching the game at least. The main dev has been posting very candidly about how much of a nightmare it has been to modernize all the backend stuff.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

30.5 Days posted:

The story seems really bizarre. Like they start out going "oh yeah you're a clone, you can respawn" and I was like ok cool in-universe reasons for immortality, that's kinda fun. But then at the end of the tutorial they're like "yeah and hte persistent story is you can't respawn anymore!" and like... surely you can still respawn, right?

Yea i was confused about that as well...

I gotta run this game in windowed mode even though i have a high end gaming rig

The combat is terrible..
The skills/mutations/whatever/storyline kinda confusing..
Graphics are from 1999...
You can actually make your own UI somehow, it's in the forums under the addons section.
They have a addons section with 3-4 UI addons that just really change the color..nothing special.

But im still playing this and having a blast.
Gotta start looking on how to make a clan/guild.

Got jank?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I hate it but I can't figure out why. I think it's because the game just randomly irregularly diarrheas random character options at you with zero explanation or coherence. Also everything that dies has like 80 unique items in their loot table and it's not clear whether they are vendor trash or they have some role in the crafting system or what. There's so many level 1 crafting recipes that have level 30 crafted ingredients it's not really clear how to level anything. I have 4 or 5 gathering skills stuck at level 24- at which you can no longer gain skillups from level 1 nodes- but the next tier up seems to be level 30 nodes, so it's not clear how to level further. Idunno, this is I guess all enough reason to hate a game, but normally I find this kind of crap charming.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
MMO CHAT: normally I find this kind of crap charming

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

I hate it but I can't figure out why. I think it's because the game just randomly irregularly diarrheas random character options at you with zero explanation or coherence. Also everything that dies has like 80 unique items in their loot table and it's not clear whether they are vendor trash or they have some role in the crafting system or what. There's so many level 1 crafting recipes that have level 30 crafted ingredients it's not really clear how to level anything. I have 4 or 5 gathering skills stuck at level 24- at which you can no longer gain skillups from level 1 nodes- but the next tier up seems to be level 30 nodes, so it's not clear how to level further. Idunno, this is I guess all enough reason to hate a game, but normally I find this kind of crap charming.

Wow im not even close to level 24 in any skills, im still trying to figure out mutations.

Theres like 6-8 of them and i cant decide which to pick.

And yea another confusing thing is the NPC loot. Not sure whether to keep the can of dog food and eat it or....

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Gathering skills are really easy to level, you get one level per time you gather.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Gathering skills are really easy to level, you get one level per time you gather.

Did not know that.
Other thing I just found out is this game was dead for two years and the developer just decided to bring it back?

Since this is my first time playing it, I don't have any background on Fallen Earth.

Why was it shut down in the first place?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

FreeWifi!! posted:

Did not know that.
Other thing I just found out is this game was dead for two years and the developer just decided to bring it back?

Since this is my first time playing it, I don't have any background on Fallen Earth.

Why was it shut down in the first place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2-cP8v_ms

its been a while since i watched it but this is probably a detailed overview

short version is: very janky/buggy mmorpg released around 2010, competing with many others, failed to improve significantly, couldnt retain playerbase, ran out of money, ip was purchased by another publisher (gamersfirst), made free to play, still janky, failed to retain playerbase, shut down in 2019, and then another publisher (little orbit) aquired gamersfirst and decided to rework the entire game (as a passion project?) to make it less broken/janky and has been working on it for years, and they now decided to put up the old version in the meantime completely free i think

something like that at least

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Got bored, downloaded ESO and PSO2NG

Lasted 20 minutes in ESO before refunding, game is awful. Is PSO any good?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

New Genesis has like no content at all and won't until like January or something. Base PSO2 is real good and has tons of poo poo to do though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah base PSO2 is awesome as gently caress and real good. NG is one gigantic what the gently caress? It was not ready for launch and I don't understand why Sega made that addition, or who in the hell even wanted it in the first place.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the combat feels great in NG and I like running around but it really needed another year or two in the oven before releasing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone else trying out the Lost Ark beta this week/end? Or just play normally through VPN? I kind of just started paying attention to this and it looks really cool? The overhead view is very appealing to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

remeez posted:

lol to both of these honestly

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I tried out vanguard saga of heroes emulator

Game is broken but that is to say better than it was at launch

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Anno posted:

Anyone else trying out the Lost Ark beta this week/end? Or just play normally through VPN? I kind of just started paying attention to this and it looks really cool? The overhead view is very appealing to me.

yes! i am going to be playing in the closed beta. i haven’t tried it at all in any other testing and have only started looking more into it the past couple months.

edit - also just found the thread for it here, didn’t realize there was one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935840

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

remeez posted:

Regular PSO2 is fun, eventually, but NGS imo is really bad on a core level, got turned off of it very fast. Unfortunately you will be forced into NGS at least for a short time if you do play, and I gathwr regular PSO2 has taken a big hit to its playerbase since NGS (do correct me if I'm wrong though).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what stood out for me in NG is how homogenous all the classes feel. they have really weak identities compared to their base PSO2 iterations, there are differences between weapons but not in a way that feels really meaningful. pso2 base had tons of techs and photon arts and in NG they're all squeezed into a tiny number of actions with way too much symmetry.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PSO2 just looks like poo poo but is fun and has a lot to do.

NGS looks really great but isn’t very fun and there’s nothing to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

yes! i am going to be playing in the closed beta. i haven’t tried it at all in any other testing and have only started looking more into it the past couple months.

edit - also just found the thread for it here, didn’t realize there was one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935840

I think you'll love Lost Ark. It really is an extremely good MMORPG. I think the people looking for a good MMO, are finally in for a treat when this finally releases in America.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

I tried out vanguard saga of heroes emulator

Game is broken but that is to say better than it was at launch

This emulator has been in alpha or beta or whatever the hell they are calling it now for 7 years.

It's worked on (?) by these 3-4 same guys who have no interest, it looks like, of ever getting this game up and running.

I asked on the forums when's the game going to be ready and it was a "When it's ready, LOL!" response.

I'm just curious to play it because the "Diplomacy" skill looked interesting.

Card collecting as well.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

FreeWifi!! posted:

This emulator has been in alpha or beta or whatever the hell they are calling it now for 7 years.

It's worked on (?) by these 3-4 same guys who have no interest, it looks like, of ever getting this game up and running.

I asked on the forums when's the game going to be ready and it was a "When it's ready, LOL!" response.

I'm just curious to play it because the "Diplomacy" skill looked interesting.

Card collecting as well.

I remember being super excited about Vanguard, but I don't remember anything about actually playing it. Is the emulator at least progressed enough that it can be fun to mess around in?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You can buy some zones and class skills don't work.

Diplomacy was neat since it was where most of the story was. You learned a whole lot doing that but then there were several hard grinds you had to do for cards to complete your deck or cards you needed to progress farther.

You ended up going to castles and taverns to just yell at people for more cards.

They had a grandiose plan that diplomacy was gonna be needed for some battle quests but no idea if that ever happened.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

I remember being super excited about Vanguard, but I don't remember anything about actually playing it. Is the emulator at least progressed enough that it can be fun to mess around in?

To mess around in yes. But like Third World said most of the skills dont work.

They also have a command list you can access for commands like set level and goto area etc.

They might have turned that off. Some day's it was on and some Off.

Diplomacy from what i saw on Youtube worked? Sorta?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I never played Fallen Earth when it originally released but gave it a shot last night for shits and giggle and wow is the game janky af. I'm sure at the time it was slick and amazing, but it has really not aged well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

kedo posted:

I'm sure at the time it was slick and amazing

Nope!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I played Fallen Earth in its original... beta? Early launch? And it was always janky as poo poo. It was a really interesting game, though. Might check out the relaunch at some point in the not so distant future but I got a lot going on right now.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Tabula rasa looked cool but died instantly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Tabula rasa looked cool but died instantly

I played in the closed beta for Tabula Rasa, and it was pretty obvious that the team was either new or lacked good leadership. There were the nuts and bolts of a potentially good game - it was basically a prototype for Destiny, in a lot of ways - but they never really cohered, and the lack of content killed the game stone dead fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I remember early in the beta you could encounter entire enemy squads and wipe them out pretty well, then later it changed and it lost that uniqueness and you were back to plinking down individual enemies like every other MMO at the time