Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ugh, really don't want that rear end in a top hat to be governor but gently caress, getting moms angry about CRT being taught in schools was indeed a winning strategy.

I refused to consider this hypothesis because it was way too loving stupid but now I have some very serious concerns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Clearly we need more means tested tax credits.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I refused to consider this hypothesis because it was way too loving stupid but now I have some very serious concerns

You can just assume that will be the messaging through the midterms now

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess a silver lining is that Democrats have a perfect case study, should they choose to consult it, in the 100% wrong way to respond to Republican dog whistles about education.

So what does this do for Trump? Basically, Youngkin managed to keep the guy at arm's length. That makes DJT less of a kingmaker, doesn't it?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Last I saw, Fairfax County had like 8% of the vote in. Are there really not enough vote for TMac to make up in that area?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Perhaps Democrats should consider giving people what they want instead of table scraps?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dems are so unbelievably, thoroughly hosed next year, holy jesusing christ

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

camoseven posted:

I hope Youngkin wins

Yeah, me too.

Pretty exciting portent of things to come.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

wow if you give people no reason to vote for you, they won't. who woulda thought

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mind_Taker posted:

Perhaps Democrats should consider giving people what they want instead of table scraps?

my understanding is that t-mac (inexplicably) and the virginia legislature gave that a good solid go

rip

like, even if tmac squeaks this out it shouldn't have been a goddamn squeaker

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

lol ya ok

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mind_Taker posted:

the only way dems have even a faint sniff of a fart of a hope of keeping either the house or the senate next year is if biden just goes ham with executive orders starting tomorrow

however, joe biden is absolutely not the man to meet this moment so, rip

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Clearly we need more means tested tax credits.

Joy Reid is blaming the (almost certain) loss on Black voters mad that the reconciliation bill hasn't yet passed.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Joy Reid is blaming the (almost certain) loss on Black voters mad that the reconciliation bill hasn't yet passed.

Lousy progressives

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Eric Cantonese posted:

So what does this do for Trump? Basically, Youngkin managed to keep the guy at arm's length. That makes DJT less of a kingmaker, doesn't it?

It means Youngkin managed to disassociate with Trump among moderates, and cozy up to Trump with the MAGA diehards.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IMO if the DC Dems had gotten their poo poo together McAuliffe might've been able to pull it out.

He was a bad candidate but having a Democrat in the White House just makes some cross section of the population apoplectic; this is the third time it's happened in my life. Doing an rear end job legislating just accentuates that. This poo poo was always going to be an uphill battle, as are the midterms next year; this party does probably not have their poo poo together to fight such a battle. Don't know what to do about it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"teaching our kids to be woke" is an extremely stupid thing for dems to fall on their sword over lmao

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The source I'm looking at has it as only like, 24% of early votes being in (and 69% election day) so maybe a miracle will happen.

I don't think it's CRT, but I do think it's schools. Nothing good has happened irt schools the past couple of years and people are rightfully angry about how they were handled with the pandemic.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

IMO if the DC Dems had gotten their poo poo together McAuliffe might've been able to pull it out.

He was a bad candidate but having a Democrat in the White House just makes some cross section of the population apoplectic; this is the third time it's happened in my life. Doing an rear end job legislating just accentuates that. This poo poo was always going to be an uphill battle, as are the midterms next year; this party does probably not have their poo poo together to fight such a battle. Don't know what to do about it.

Vote and organize

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"teaching our kids to be woke" is an extremely stupid thing for dems to fall on their sword over lmao

To be fair, there was also "girl was raped by a boy in the women's bathroom at a public high school because of executive orders allowing anyone to go into the women's room. Your daughter could be next."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Democrats are a reactionary party that doesn't stand for anything. Their election strategy is "the other side is bad" without offering up any real change or positions. Even when they have good ideas that people like, they manage to bungle the messaging or shy away from it.

Just doesn't seem like a sustainable strategy. Youngkin played the moderate in the suburbs and had surrogates stir up all the racist furor in the rural areas. Pretty sound strategy to defeat a party that offers nothing.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zeron posted:

The source I'm looking at has it as only like, 24% of early votes being in (and 69% election day) so maybe a miracle will happen.

Wasserman called it, so it would be something approaching a miracle.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That comment about parents shouldn't have say over education loving killed him

I mean he's right honestly but gently caress, white suburban parents are the most insane psycho people to have you in their cross hairs.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

my understanding is that t-mac (inexplicably) and the virginia legislature gave that a good solid go

rip

like, even if tmac squeaks this out it shouldn't have been a goddamn squeaker

would have been cool of tmac ran on any of the good things he did instead of screaming "trump bad" and the worst "let me explain about how i don't want to teach your children evil wokeness"

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Yeah it's a tough beat for sure.

Not going to try and sugar coat it, one thing that is apparent is that the tide is going against the centrist scum AND the progressives in the country and that ain't going to change without a dramatic shift in strategy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Red posted:

It means Youngkin managed to disassociate with Trump among moderates, and cozy up to Trump with the MAGA diehards.

Yeah if Youngkin had run hard on being buddies with Trump, maybe he would have lost, but most of the ads I saw from him were just him talking about how Virginia is one of the few states in the US that taxes groceries and he wants to get rid of that tax, and about how he wants parents involved in schools and education. The first one is just a general appeal to anyone who's anxious about making ends meet, and the second is a dogwhistle to the MAGA types that's just going to generally appeal to anyone who isn't really informed about what Youngkin wants (especially when McAuliffe shot himself in the foot with the "Parents shouldn't be telling schools what to teach" comment).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mellow Seas posted:

this party does probably not have their poo poo together to fight such a battle. Don't know what to do about it.

of course they don't have their poo poo together, the only time they ever do is when they are fighting against progressives

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, there was also "girl was raped by a boy in the women's bathroom at a public high school because of executive orders allowing anyone to go into the women's room. Your daughter could be next."
ok but "I will ban critical race theory in schools" was practically youngkin's motto and it's a mighty good one!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

None of that was true so yeah they did a poo poo job countering that too.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean he's right honestly but gently caress, white suburban parents are the most insane psycho people to have you in their cross hairs.

Kind of nuts that we get all these exit polls with detailed crosstabs but nobody bothers to poll "parents" vs. "non-parents" when it's supposed to have been such a major factor in the race.

("Education" was ranked as the second biggest issue after "Economy" in exit polls - I figure that includes CRT but also trans issues and mask mandates. [God drat is this country stupid.])

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Red posted:

haha holy poo poo if the Republicans manage to carry the energy Trump brought to the party while distancing themselves from his aesthetic unpleasantness that drove away suburban voters last year., that's the loving game. They will dominate the midterms and probably take back the White House in 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

tbf, his recent ads explaining his statement made it even worse.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mellow Seas posted:

Wasserman called it, so it would be something approaching a miracle.

Wasserman wouldn't call it unless he had the math on his side.

Edit: He took a long pause before that pause, I assume, to double check.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ok but "I will ban critical race theory in schools" was practically youngkin's motto and it's a mighty good one!

Next year is going to be unbearable for lots of reasons but every loving Republican will run on this.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Its only “right” if you believe technocratic rule is superior to democratic. It was a dumb as poo poo thing to say, and parents should have a large say over what their kids get taught. Id like to have a large say if kids were being taught creationism in the classroom.

Obvs thats what the republicans want, but the defense of CRT by dems is pathetic if all they can muster up is “cause we said so”

Dems need to give good poo poo to people, and then scream from the mountains that repubs want to disband medicare and SS because they are communism.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Good news! Transphobe Shontel Brown won her House seat!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RBA Starblade posted:

You can just assume that will be the messaging through the midterms now

Yep. Hope you like hearing about critical race theory, scary books in school libraries, and mean teachers ignoring parents' intuition because that horse is going to get beaten into fertilizer.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Uncle Wemus posted:

:rip: The Virginia Model
But I was assured it was the way forward!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Kind of nuts that we get all these exit polls with detailed crosstabs but nobody bothers to poll "parents" vs. "non-parents" when it's supposed to have been such a major factor in the race.

("Education" was ranked as the second biggest issue after "Economy" in exit polls - I figure that includes CRT but also trans issues and mask mandates. [God drat is this country stupid.])

The CNN exit poll showed parents voting 51-49 Youngkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Willa Rogers posted:

Good news! Transphobe Shontel Brown won her House seat!

I know you're excited to watch my state go to hell but could you be a bit less obvious about it?