Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Democrats need to wake the gently caress up for 2022 or they are going to get trounced. This should be a massive red flag that their current strategy of "Not Trump" and nothing else isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Youth Decay posted:

I know you're excited to watch my state go to hell but could you be a bit less obvious about it?

It's gonna be fine

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gen X parents are just as loving bad (if not worse) than their own parents when it comes to being conservative dipshits. I actually find them more insufferable than boomer parents because Gen X try the "Apathy makes me cool and a rebel" fake as gently caress poo poo, while screaming about how young Reagan shouldn't have to read the Joy Luck Club

I don't know the data on millenial parents but lol like we can have kids

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 3, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

camoseven posted:

It's gonna be fine

R's are taking the House, Lt. Gov and Sec of State too. Super fine. Hope you're really enjoying Virginia's last election.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

Gen X parents are just as loving bad (f not worse) than their own parents when it comes to being conservative dipshits

I don't know the data on millenial parents but lol like we can have kids

People overwhelmingly take on their parents ideology. So it's not going to be getting any better.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

I know you're excited to watch my state go to hell but could you be a bit less obvious about it?

I was NOT excited to see establishment dems weigh in & tilt the primary to brown over turner.

But the cbc & clyburn chose their candidate, and she won.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kirios posted:

Seriously goons this race is going to really show how the political tides are rolling. I'd highly advise you pay attention this evening.

Called it back on page one and got laughed at.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sanguinia posted:

R's are taking the House, Lt. Gov and Sec of State too. Super fine. Hope you're really enjoying Virginia's last election.

Democrats get what they deserve for not running on anything other than “Trump is scary.” This is what happens when they promise nothing and deliver nothing , they lose.

And it will happen in 2022 in many more states.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that Obama's super star influence was able to win another GOP victory.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Democrats get what they deserve for not running on anything other than “Trump is scary.” This is what happens when they promise nothing and deliver nothing , they lose.

Yeah, who cares about literally anyone else that's going to get hurt, the Democrats suffering is what's really important.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Peter Daou Zen posted:

i mean, they'e got 12 months to look at what happened tonight and pull their thumbs out of their asses and actually do poo poo

for some reason i ain't holding my breath tho

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sanguinia posted:

Is this a bit?

Kirios posted:

Called it back on page one and got laughed at.

Surely this is a bit, too

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

etalian posted:

I'm glad that Obama's super star influence was able to win another GOP victory.

I think this is yet another Clintonite fumble at the In-zone than a Thanks Obama tbh

Is the state really flipping that hard? Or is it just Terry?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Strongly agree. Not Trump is a failing strategy, you have to do more.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Does this blame primarily rest on the shoulders of Manchin and Sinema?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ok, legit question about their strategy. Did Virginia Dems talk about schools besides badly responding to the CRT comments? Covid has made people mad about schools in general so if you're offering nothing and your opponent is offering "I'll keep it from getting worse" that's going to win even if their suggestion on how to keep it getting worse is total insanity.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah, who cares about literally anyone else that's going to get hurt, the Democrats suffering is what's really important.

If you're really worried about the nazi republicans winning more races you really should focus on why voters aren't voting Dem.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean, they'e got 12 months to look at what happened tonight and pull their thumbs out of their asses and actually do poo poo

for some reason i ain't holding my breath tho

I'm just assuming their takeaway will be to blame progressives, somehow. Or maybe third party voters. Anything to avoid introspection.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

camoseven posted:

Is this a bit?

sadly no

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also I've got to be honest this doomer poo poo about the election is depressing. The Democrats lost, they'll lose again, that's politics. Work hard and win the next one. A lose should be used as motivation to work harder and change your process. Remember the arc of history bends towards progress.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
They should run on how bad it would make them feel if they lost

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

We need a strong republican party. Joe likes Republicans, bless him father for he has sinned, and enjoys working with them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Josh Lyman posted:

Does this blame primarily rest on the shoulders of Manchin and Sinema?

i dunno, biden bravely deciding that student debt payments are gonna restart in january while also not even giving borrowers the table scrap 10k forgiveness he campaigned on sure couldn't have helped, and certainly doesn't make me motivated to vote next year either

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

People overwhelmingly take on their parents ideology. So it's not going to be getting any better.

Man good thing all those boomers were new deal democrats forever.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TulliusCicero posted:

I think this is yet another Clintonite fumble at the In-zone than a Thanks Obama tbh

Is the state really flipping that hard? Or is it just Terry?

I don't see how Terry loses and the Dems otherwise keep the House of Delegates. I also have not seen anything saying that Ayala or Herring are outperforming T-Mac, so this is pretty close to a full red-flip.

Thankfully, the state senate was not up for grabs this year.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
loving sucks for all the Virginia folks who have worked hard to flip it blue the past 10+ years to see this happen but I guess that's just part of the work they've been doing.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Mac ran a poo poo campaign. He has no appeal outside of the Beltway and most people are very lukewarm to him within it, as well.

My wife and I - in Fairfax - both voted for him because he’s not GOP, but neither of us was thrilled about it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gumball Gumption posted:

Remember the arc of history bends towards progress.

whig history has not, and never will be true

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also I've got to be honest this doomer poo poo about the election is depressing. The Democrats lost, they'll lose again, that's politics. Work hard and win the next one. A lose should be used as motivation to work harder and change your process. Remember the arc of history bends towards progress.

I’ll admit that I have little hope for the future, but will there be a next time if the January 6th party has its way?

I’m not being a doomer or at least not trying to be. It’s an honest question because we have so little time left with climate change.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok, legit question about their strategy. Did Virginia Dems talk about schools besides badly responding to the CRT comments? Covid has made people mad about schools in general so if you're offering nothing and your opponent is offering "I'll keep it from getting worse" that's going to win even if their suggestion on how to keep it getting worse is total insanity.

I (and other goons) have mentioned other places but the ad spend by the Mcauliffe campaign was hilariously misguided/ineffectual. I saw tons of Mcauliffe ads but literally up until the last few days the content was exclusive "Youngkin cuddles with Trump and thinks he's a cool dude"
It was literally only the last few days of the lead-up that they started mentioning Mcauliffe held the office before and started listing "accomplishments" but never hit on actual policy. Granted, I live in Fairfax so it could've been their calculation that the area was theirs to lose but still, that appears to have been a miscalculation, eh? Really I think they hardly even sent out any mailers. The post mortem for this colossal gently caress-up should basically be "do the opposite of what they did" but somehow I feel like I'm going to get blamed for being a progressive despite the fact that I once again held my nose and voted down ticket for these do-nothing assholes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TulliusCicero posted:

Nah, in the last couple of weeks McAuliffe was running ads of Obama saying "Please go vote for my friend Terry McAuliffe." I guess you could argue it happened too late or something but they definitely tried to use Obama as an attempt to drum up support and it very clearly didn't work.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hellblazer187 posted:

Man good thing all those boomers were new deal democrats forever.

^

Also aren't millenials and Gen Z overwelmingly liberal? If we could ever take the reins of power from the Liches we could could get poo poo done, but :shrug:

God this pattern of "Old Third Way liberalism snuffs out young leftists and allows idiotic Reactionaries to seize power" keeps playing out throughout the Western world lately

What's a safe state to move to if poo poo hits the fan? I live in MI, I assume Washington is most likely to balkanize with California if it came down to it right?

Because I don't want to live in the GOP's hellhole version of American Brexit

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Youngkin won for 1 simple reason - he promised to cut taxes, and painted McAuliffe as a guy who will raise taxes.

You are never going to get away from the fact that the country is a pretty right-wing FYGM shithole, and as long as the GOP can put forth someone who knows how to smile and not be a complete lunatic in public 24/7, people won't really care what else they support as long they get those tax cuts.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Willa Rogers posted:

If you're really worried about the nazi republicans winning more races you really should focus on why voters aren't voting Dem.

Do you honestly just not give a single poo poo about what Republicans do when they're in power? Why don't you try being a teacher in Trump Country like I am, seeing Trans kids misgendered by their own parents and every other teacher at a conference, or see a parent wearing a "Trump and Guns Protect America," shirt screaming at his daughter for that B she got, or see two students prepare a presentation on Gay Rights History only for the principle to personally come shut it down because a student said she didn't want to hear about gay people in history class, and then have to try and emotionally support them when they have a nervous breakdown over it?

I'm so loving tired of all the most Holier Than Thou posters on D&D mocking me for taking the fact that Republicans and loving fascists and are pushing fascist policy seriously. I live under single-party rule by these nazi fucks and have for five years, and you all seem to want it to spread because you think things will magically get better once we get on the other side of it. If they get what they want THERE IS NO loving OTHER SIDE.

But I guess that's just "heated rhetoric."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I’ll admit that I have little hope for the future, but will there be a next time if the January 6th party has its way?

I’m not being a doomer or at least not trying to be. It’s an honest question because we have so little time left with climate change.

That depends: Will Dems continue to run on fear of the January 6th party (lol) or make an affirmative case to voters?

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 3, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If we don't work to solutions on those problems we won't have solutions. We're going to just have to work harder in the next elections and figure out what people want to vote for. It shouldn't be too hard, people have only been winning elections for all of human history.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

^

Also aren't millenials and Gen Z overwelmingly liberal? If we could ever take the reins of power from the Liches we could could get poo poo done, but :shrug:

God this pattern of "Old Third Way liberalism snuffs out young leftists and allows idiotic Reactionaries to seize power" keeps playing out throughout the Western world lately

What's a safe state to move to if poo poo hits the fan? I live in MI, I assume Washington is most likely to balkanize with California if it came down to it right?

Because I don't want to live in rhe GOP's hellhole version of American Brexit
lol there would be no place safe on earth if America entered another Civil War, don't even give it any thought

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah, in the last couple of weeks McAuliffe was running ads of Obama saying "Please go vote for my friend Terry McAuliffe." I guess you could argue it happened too late or something but they definitely tried to use Obama as an attempt to drum up support and it very clearly didn't work.

I can imagine Obama ads having the opposite effect, given Republican turnout seems to be through the roof.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Dems in VA had been delivering an overwhelmingly progressive agenda compared to the national average for years and all progress it seems like stops tonight, if not heavily reversed. VA was *not* the state where this argument made any sense; they governed as hard to the left wildly beyond expectations; you should be more concerned that perhaps Americans at large might be more conservative than you think regardless of a poor performance at the top of the ticket.

e:

TyrantWD posted:

Youngkin won for 1 simple reason - he promised to cut taxes, and painted McAuliffe as a guy who will raise taxes.

You are never going to get away from the fact that the country is a pretty right-wing FYGM shithole, and as long as the GOP can put forth someone who knows how to smile and not be a complete lunatic in public 24/7, people won't really care what else they support as long they get those tax cuts.

This. This should be the much more concerning take away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Sanguinia posted:

Do you honestly just not give a single poo poo about what Republicans do when they're in power? Why don't you try being a teacher in Trump Country like I am, seeing Trans kids misgendered by their own parents and every other teacher at a conference, or see a parent wearing a "Trump and Guns Protect America," shirt screaming at his daughter for that B she got, or see two students prepare a presentation on Gay Rights History only for the principle to personally come shut it down because a student said she didn't want to hear about gay people in history class, and then have to try and emotionally support them when they have a nervous breakdown over it?

I'm so loving tired of all the most Holier Than Thou posters on D&D mocking me for taking the fact that Republicans and loving fascists and are pushing fascist policy seriously. I live under single-party rule by these nazi fucks and have for five years, and you all seem to want it to spread because you think things will magically get better once we get on the other side of it. If they get what they want THERE IS NO loving OTHER SIDE.

But I guess that's just "heated rhetoric."

Log off then