Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Megas are neat and good to have around and if you disagree you are kinda a punk tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like Megas' designs more than the Gigantormax pokemons

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

Mega is cool not just because it buffs some fan favorites, but also because it's actually am interesting decision for team building since it occupies your item slot and the one-per-team limit
that's why it will never ever feel as good as an actual evolution

I want my pokemon to actually turn into something stronger. I want that new stronger form to be them, not an outfit they put on temporarily. it just isn't the same.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it is so so so lame for pokemon that are underpowered and have no evolution like sableye and absol to be finally thrown a bone, except it's the poison pill of mega evolution that comes with a shitload of restrictions and also, implicitly, means that they will never get a real evolution. only 'fully evolved' pokemon can mega evolve and so they're stuck that way for life. hope you never wanted to actually evolve, sableye.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat why even make single stage pokemon at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, yeah. All pokemon should have at least 1 evolution, unless they're like, a legendary or have some weird gimmick that precludes it like ditto. (and I'm sure you could still make an interesting ditto evo.)
it's such a big part of the appeal of pokemon. the big dramatic moment where your magic pet turns into a similar but cooler and more powerful magic pet. the wondering what that thing you caught might turn into if you raise it.

there's very pokemon like this per generation, too. who wouldn't want Pinsir to get an actual evolution? or Qwilfish? poor, poor Qwilfish.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

it is so so so lame for pokemon that are underpowered and have no evolution like sableye and absol to be finally thrown a bone, except it's the poison pill of mega evolution that comes with a shitload of restrictions and also, implicitly, means that they will never get a real evolution. only 'fully evolved' pokemon can mega evolve and so they're stuck that way for life. hope you never wanted to actually evolve, sableye.
Pokémon breaks its own rules all the drat time so i have no idea why you're doomsaying about this

If they want to do something else with sableye later they will simply come up with a way to do so

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they already shouldn't give sableye an evolution, because eviolite sableye sounds like hell

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mega Sceptile was cool.

Mega Venusaur was bad because the Bulbasaur family was already perfect.

Mega Rayquaza was bad for the same reason as Mega Venusaur. I own a $600 Rayquaza pen because of how perfect they already were.

Both Mega Charizards are pretty cool and work.

Both Mega Mewtwos suck because they're stupid as gently caress.

Mega Blastoise rules because its stupid as gently caress in an awesome way.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Zangoose should get the +100 to it’s BST but stay exactly the same.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Megas are alright but them and Z moves suck for competitive battling compared to Dyna/Gigantamaxing

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Scholtz posted:

Megas are alright but them and Z moves suck for competitive battling compared to Dyna/Gigantamaxing

Dyna/Gigantamaxing are arguably just as bad, if not worse in some ways.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

I mean, yeah. All pokemon should have at least 1 evolution, unless they're like, a legendary or have some weird gimmick that precludes it like ditto. (and I'm sure you could still make an interesting ditto evo.)
it's such a big part of the appeal of pokemon. the big dramatic moment where your magic pet turns into a similar but cooler and more powerful magic pet. the wondering what that thing you caught might turn into if you raise it.

there's very pokemon like this per generation, too. who wouldn't want Pinsir to get an actual evolution? or Qwilfish? poor, poor Qwilfish.

Pinsir got a super sick mega but you weren't a fan apparently.

I dunno, mono stage pokemon are fine. There's a lot of super cool ones and I don't they really need evos or pre-evos or anything. My boy Falinks is perfect and I am happy with him as he is.

Also, I think it's fine that Qwilfish is kinda lame. There's 1000 pokemon I am happy to have a couple mediocre fish. If it gets a cool regional evo like my friend Basculin I wouldn't complain or anything but I don't think it's necessary.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amppelix posted:

Pokémon breaks its own rules all the drat time so i have no idea why you're doomsaying about this

If they want to do something else with sableye later they will simply come up with a way to do so
ok, but do they want to?
my boy the japanese hopkinsville goblin has existed without an evolution for roughly 2 decades, most of the time I have been alive, so frankly I will believe it when I see it

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Pinsir got a super sick mega but you weren't a fan apparently.
I think mega pinsir looks kind of bad, mega heracross is neat tho

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, mono stage pokemon are fine. There's a lot of super cool ones and I don't they really need evos or pre-evos or anything. My boy Falinks is perfect and I am happy with him as he is.

Also, I think it's fine that Qwilfish is kinda lame. There's 1000 pokemon I am happy to have a couple mediocre fish. If it gets a cool regional evo like my friend Basculin I wouldn't complain or anything but I don't think it's necessary.
I can't think of a single non legendary mono-stage pokemon that I wouldn't prefer if they could evolve.
It is fine that Qwilfish is kinda lame, but it could be better than fine. It could turn into something cool and useful, like most other pokemon that exist.

Countblanc posted:

they already shouldn't give sableye an evolution, because eviolite sableye sounds like hell
eviolite also should not exist because evolved pokemon should be better than unevolved pokemon. simple as

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is deranged

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
evolutions are cool and it's disappointing when a neat pokemon doesn't get one. that's all

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

IronicDongz posted:

evolutions are cool and it's disappointing when a neat pokemon doesn't get one. that's all

Agreed.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Megas are cool 2 me. All of 'em. But I also think it's because I watched the first 3 seasons of Digimon, so maybe I was more prepared for the concept that mons could have temporary evolutions. It's also a very Tokusatsu/Dragon Ball thing. A temporary power-up.

That said, I think a lot (not all) of the Mega forms wouldn't work as a traditional evolution because they kind of feel like "x Pokémon with more spikes and doodads taped on" rather than an actual "evolution." Think Aerodactyl, Sharpedo, and even sadly, Pinsir. (Mega Pinsir is still cool, don't kill me)

Obvious counter-examples to this are Sableye and Mawile among others. Those should totally just be their canon regular evolutions.

Regarding the other conversation: I think there are tons of cool single-stage Pokémon, but I do happen to prefer using mons (at least for the story portion) that evolve. Helps to set the sense of progression, I guess. When a Pokémon stays static for the entirety of the game, you don't get that cool "oh, wow!" moment of evolution. Since these games are so easy, I tend to be extra cheesy and "save" my evolutions for after I beat a gym leader, rival, or villain boss or the like. I'll just keep cancelling evolutions or save the stones or whatever until after a dramatic battle. :shobon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

evolutions should be meaningful like poliwhirl to poliwrath

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mega evolutions were all good to begin with and even better when they got the dex entries like. there's so much mega energy that scizor starts to melt or. kangaskhan gets happy seeing the baby grow up but also sad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amppelix posted:

true pokemon heads like myself can impose limitations on themselves without needing the game to come in with the "no, you cannot catch gyarados and dragon dance to victory for the 20th time in a row"

seriously though, i do understand people who need some incentive to not just do the easiest/most optimal thing every time but i've never had a problem making pokemon fun and interesting for myself. and no, i'm not talking about nuzlockes

and i do wish i could toggle the mainline games to be all double battles all the time

I think it's 100% fine and cool if a spin-off wants to make a more curated and focused gameplay experience than the usual mainline pokemon game's "gently caress it do whatever" wrt combat challenge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nanigans posted:

Obvious counter-examples to this are Sableye and Mawile among others. Those should totally just be their canon regular evolutions.
mega absol is another because it's a deviantart sparkledog and normal absol is already almost that. I say this with only love in my heart

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think you'll find it would actually be incredibly good and cool to let Mega Garchomp have a Choice Scarf.

Thinking about Life Orb Mega Lopunny and just laughing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

ok, but do they want to?
my boy the japanese hopkinsville goblin has existed without an evolution for roughly 2 decades, most of the time I have been alive, so frankly I will believe it when I see it
now that's an entirely different topic from "because sableye has a mega it CANNOT EVER get anything else"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

you are all psychos

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

IronicDongz posted:

ok, but do they want to?

GF are a law unto themselves, I don't suppose anyone was gambling on evolutions for Corsola or Stantler yet they went and did it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think people like the idea of the Orre games more than the actual games themselves:
Focus on double battles.
Older Protag whose part of an evil team.
A super curated selection of Pokémon to make you use new stuff in creative ways rather than the same guys you use every game.
A 3D game that’s an actual game and not just a simulator like Stadium or Battle Revolution.
The Johto Mons are back!

Of course the most important thing is that the games themselves aren’t really all that good in other ways, but even then:
All Pokémon is 3D now.
Johto mons came back with a vengeance in GenIV.
BW proved that you imagineless simpletons will whine if you aren’t allowed to use the exact same team you’ve used for the last twelve games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nanigans posted:

That said, I think a lot (not all) of the Mega forms wouldn't work as a traditional evolution because they kind of feel like "x Pokémon with more spikes and doodads taped on" rather than an actual "evolution." Think Aerodactyl, Sharpedo, and even sadly, Pinsir. (Mega Pinsir is still cool, don't kill me)

Yeah, they'd never do a lame evolution like "looks exactly the same, but now there are three of them" (Dugtrio, Magneton) or "looks exactly the same, but now it is upside down" (Electrode) or "looks exactly the same, but with a shell on its tail" (Slowbro).

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Countblanc posted:

you are all psychos

In my opinion, this kind of post sucks, because you're not saying what you think, just obliquely hinting that you have an opinion about something; and because there's nothing there that anyone can respond to.

do you think the posters are psychos because you disagree with their opinions on mega evolution? say so. Do you think they are psychos because you think the whole argument is stupid? then say that. Don't leave us guessing what your reasons are for thinking people are psychos, enlighten us.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, they'd never do a lame evolution like "looks exactly the same, but now there are three of them" (Dugtrio, Magneton) or "looks exactly the same, but now it is upside down" (Electrode) or "looks exactly the same, but with a shell on its tail" (Slowbro).

Don't forget "looks exactly the same, but bigger" (Muk) or "literally looks exactly the same" (Silvally).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, but should they be aspiring to that?

I worded what I said poorly. Evolutions, as the ones you all pointed out show, can be whatever low effort thing Game Freak wants. But then you get Megas like Alakazam, Heracross, Medicham, Banette…that’re so drat good that it blows that we might not ever see them in a mainline game again.

IronicDongz posted:

mega absol is another because it's a deviantart sparkledog and normal absol is already almost that. I say this with only love in my heart

Yeah, 100% that should just be their canon evolution. I had to look it up again and had myself a good laugh.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hammerite posted:

In my opinion, this kind of post sucks, because you're not saying what you think, just obliquely hinting that you have an opinion about something; and because there's nothing there that anyone can respond to.

do you think the posters are psychos because you disagree with their opinions on mega evolution? say so. Do you think they are psychos because you think the whole argument is stupid? then say that. Don't leave us guessing what your reasons are for thinking people are psychos, enlighten us.

I also want to know the reason. Does that make me a psycho?

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, but should they be aspiring to that?

I worded what I said poorly. Evolutions, as the ones you all pointed out show, can be whatever low effort thing Game Freak wants. But then you get Megas like Alakazam, Heracross, Medicham, Banette…that’re so drat good that it blows that we might not ever see them in a mainline game again.

Yeah, 100% that should just be their canon evolution. I had to look it up again and had myself a good laugh.

Agreed. The cool and good evolutions should happen, and there should be more of them, and the lovely and boring evolutions should have been better than they were. Voltorb's evolution obviously shouldn't be upside-down, it should be purple.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hammerite posted:

Sorry, I figured based on the fact I was posting directly after people who said megas were bad and mostly looked like poo poo that it was implied I thought that thinking megas were bad and mostly looked like poo poo was an opinion that qualified one for psycho status.

Megas simply don't exist for the purpose some people have apparently convinced themselves they exist for (they also don't exist at all now lol, rip). Afaik there hasn't been any declarative statement from GF stating the intended role of megas, so we can really only infer from how they exist in game and the anime/marketing. In which case they're basically used because transformations - or henshin for the enlightened - are exciting, based, l33t, win, and a cool way to punctuate memorable story fights while also giving players an optional tool to trivialize big parts of the game. They also actually provide a usable in game item, which pokemon has strikingly few of.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Countblanc posted:

Sorry, I figured based on the fact I was posting directly after people who said megas were bad and mostly looked like poo poo that it was implied I thought that thinking megas were bad and mostly looked like poo poo was an opinion that qualified one for psycho status.

Megas simply don't exist for the purpose some people have apparently convinced themselves they exist for (they also don't exist at all now lol, rip). Afaik there hasn't been any declarative statement from GF stating the intended role of megas, so we can really only infer from how they exist in game and the anime/marketing. In which case they're basically used because transformations - or henshin for the enlightened - are exciting, based, l33t, win, and a cool way to punctuate memorable story fights while also giving players an optional tool to trivialize big parts of the game. They also actually provide a usable in game item, which pokemon has strikingly few of.

I wasn't trying to be a Forums Scold, I just naturally come across that way. Sorry about that.

I like megas as a concept, and I like the execution in a lot of cases, but I would have liked it if pokemon could be permanently mega evolved. But as has been commented it is unclear whether or how that could be balanced in the battle system. And as you said, the fact that they transform during the battle (like in the anime where pokemon evolve mid-battle to heighten the excitement) is a key element to the idea, so it would miss the point somewhat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Twelve by Pies posted:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't forget "looks exactly the same, but bigger" (Muk)
I know, gen 1 owns

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I want more mega evolutions and gigantamax mons because I like them getting new designs. They're fun and good.

Except this boy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

I want more mega evolutions and gigantamax mons because I like them getting new designs. They're fun and good.

Except this boy

106.9 The Bolt is great actually. The dogs design was already stupid as hell and his hair was dumb. The mega takes it so far its ridiculous stupid instead of just boring stupid.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He looks like he's about to cry. Mega evolving him is hurting him.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

While I respect "giving X an evo/mega would be bad for balance" but also boy do I not care about competitive pokemon balance and just want cool evolutions & designs.

Evolite seems neat, but boy would I hate if it was the reason some pokemon don't get evolutions.

Golden Goat posted:

Except this boy

Its like a dog in a comically oversized halloween costume. I kind of like this lightning bolt dog.

Also, I hate that they made the special version of bigmax something, well special. Like I want to say during the Sw/Sh your rival or an NPC pulls out the specialmax of a starter pokemon....but your pokemon only does the normal boring bigmax?

Or the way to get the specialmax of Meowth is to have the particular event one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
When SP comes out in a couple weeks I'm gonna challenge myself to only play with mons I never really bothered with before. Try something new and try to find some new favorites.

...probably. Clefable is my favorite pokemon so I still might make a beeline for one. Who knows.