Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think Democrats have accomplished nothing of value in Virginia then you're either not paying attention, or too invested in your own narrative to see what you don't want to see.

You can argue that it isn't enough, but it certainly isn't nothing.

But sure, tell me how they would've cleaned up if only they'd gone Full Communism.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/03/03/democrats-controlled-virginia-government-for-two-years-heres-what-they-did/

https://vahousedems.org/2020/03/08/va-house-dems-celebrate-historic-legislative-accomplishments/

It's weird how raising the minimum wage 2 years from now, giving teachers a 2% raise after deferring one for two years straight, and promising to do some vague climate poo poo in the next 30 years didn't sway the public to their side.

Granted, voting by mail is pretty sweet I hope that stays
but clearly that didn't help them either eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Well none of that will probably matter since Republicans are about to un-do it all.
Democrats still control the VA Senate, so the damage will be at least limited somewhat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don’t think they’ve accomplished nothing here. They haven’t gone as far as they should but they’ve delivered in a lot of good things. Seeing the Lee statue come down here in Charlottesville was a big moment for the area.

I was mostly referring to McAuliffe’s campaign and national level Democrats.

It demonstrates that the argument of "pass good stuff and people will love you" is patently bullshit, though.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

small butter posted:

How mad were you when Trump lost? Like a scale of 1-10.

It would be wiser to stop blaming lefties & calling them trumpers bc of dems losing bc of not doing what voters elected them to do.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Deteriorata posted:

It demonstrates that the argument of "pass good stuff and people will love you" is patently bullshit, though.

Lol

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

But sure, tell me how they would've cleaned up if only they'd gone Full Communism.

If they went Full Communism the fascists would be dead, and therefore unable to run for or win election.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Yeah the knives out strategy the right wing Dems used paying off dividends tonight.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1455708934732345344?s=20

Yea it's the standard strategy right.

Tell voters we can't have better things because Republicans are all Nazis and chuds and we must stop them with all our might...right up until voters vote for better things then they're out partnering with Republicans and begging Republican voters to turn out and vote to stop better things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In a rare case of "your individual vote actually did matter" the left-wing candidate running on a $1,000 month UBI, Medicare for All, and a wealth tax in the FL20th primary just "won" by 31 votes. It triggers an automatic recount under Florida state law, though. So, she hasn't officially won yet.

It's a D+32 district, so whoever wins the primary will win the general.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nix Panicus posted:

Ideally I would like the democrats to start actually trying to win instead of running a massive grift operation based on laundering donor dollars into consultant pockets via the medium of message-less 'Trump bad! Vote!' campaigns. It would be nice to see some candidates who vaguely care about political goals beyond their own status

I think if this is the ideal than the hope shouldn't be for Dems to lose in 2022 and 2024; the hope should be that Manchin and Simena agree to more ambitious reconcilliation bills and for Dems to deliver on more promises for 2022 and 2024 and to campaign better as you say; and not what virtualColour vomited out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Yeah the knives out strategy the right wing Dems used paying off dividends tonight.

Goddamnit Buffalo, why do you always have to be such a fuckup? :sigh:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I don't think this is just a problem with the Democrats. This is a full scale, head-to-toe, rotten system. Social media is able to radicalize people around the world. Billionaires have cultivated a media ecosystem that can literally concoct a scandal out of thin air and mainstream news media just has no idea how to treat it. We could elect the "best of the best" progressives and it won't make a difference because there's institutions surrounding us that will undermine it and can convince people that any progress is bad bad bad.

How can you combat that? How can you protest when people make it legal to run you over and there's media telling you that it's the right thing to do? How can you promote life saving policies like M4A when Facebook says it's a creation of Hugo Chavez and nobody is in a position to stop it! How can we elect good people when fascists have positioned themselves to simply not certify their election?

Every time one of these "Dems bad" slap fights break out here or on Twitter or whatever, I can't help but think of Larry Kramer's Plague speech. "If we can't get our act together, we are as good as dead."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYREhmZcrps

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd like to take a brief "told you so" moment, and point out that all the polls that people were using to confidently predict a Macolive victory were 2-3 weeks older than the polls showing a tight/Youngkin-lead polls. A stunning upset victory for "recent, post-debate polls are better".

Anyways, India Walton is losing her race to the Centrist-Rightwing teamup campaign. Honestly I dont think anyone should be negative on the electorally skeptical, on a night where the centrists are fumbling a +10 state while successfully killing a candidate who worked her way through the channels liberals have demanded (winning primaries).

quote:

How can you promote life saving policies like M4A when Facebook says it's a creation of Hugo Chavez and nobody is in a position to stop it!

At the height of anti-M4A media saturation it had 70% support and a plurality of republicans.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In a rare case of "your individual vote actually did matter" the left-wing candidate running on a $1,000 month UBI, Medicare for All, and a wealth tax in the FL20th primary just "won" by 31 votes. It triggers an automatic recount under Florida state law, though. So, she hasn't officially won yet.

I wonder if her opponent will follow The Byron Model.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 3, 2021

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

It would be wiser to stop blaming lefties & calling them trumpers bc of dems losing bc of not doing what voters elected them to do.

Did you read the quote from virtual boy that I quoted in my post? Here it is again:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It is a good thing to see liberals and Dems have their own hubris blow up in their face tonight. I’m looking forward to the same results next year and in 2024.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

^^^^ it’s funny/telling that saying it’s good that the hubris of the Democratic Party should end in them getting punished is taken to mean accelerationism.

small butter posted:

How mad were you when Trump lost? Like a scale of 1-10.

This is always the go to line when leftist point out the failures of the Democratic Party.

The reality of the Democratic Party is this:

Nonsense posted:

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 3, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

India Walton probably thought the same thing. Turns out you can always get knifed in the back by conservatives angry someone progressive slipped through!

Deteriorata posted:

I think at some point you have to tell people about the good stuff you passed though. Just screaming 'TRUMP BAD! REPUBLICANS FASCIST! VOTE!' at the top of his lungs does not appear to have been a winning strategy for McAuliffe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

So safe money is on the Dems blaming critical race theory for their loss here, right? I wonder how that's going to effect races in the midterms. They don't have a good response to Republican complaints about CRT, because the complaints are absurd and nonsensical, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Dem candidates come out against CRT too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Flopsy posted:

They're an accelerationist.

Spoke Lee posted:

They don't have one. They are incapable of thinking about people outside of their bubble.

nine-gear crow posted:

The mods also protect him and punish you whenever you tell him to settle down, so do not engage at all lest you court heat.

Blindeye posted:

He wants to make us all suffer for failing progressives. He thinks accelerationism is good without understanding revolution kills and hurts the vulnerable.

Either way, ignore him.

I can't speak for VBC, but I'm glad that a guy who ran a lovely campaign ate poo poo, because it might actually get the rest of the Dems to pull their heads out of their asses before the midterms. I don't want the GOP to win, but I think that the chances of them winning are higher when the Dems run lovely campaigns. If they can learn this lesson now, in a lower stakes election, it could prevent a lot more failures in the future when the stakes are higher.

This is not accelerationism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gripweed posted:

So safe money is on the Dems blaming critical race theory for their loss here, right? I wonder how that's going to effect races in the midterms. They don't have a good response to Republican complaints about CRT, because the complaints are absurd and nonsensical, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Dem candidates come out against CRT too.

The Squad will get their blame op-eds in a few hours.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Sure the Dems deserve to lose because they're poo poo. The rest of us don't deserve the very real harm that happens when they do lose though. Cheering at the fascists winning is an odd, but apparently very popular, look for sure.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nix Panicus posted:

I think its time to stop blaming voters and start blaming the lovely state and national parties that ran the garbage candidates who keep losing. Or if you feel you must blame some voters, blame the trashcan democrat primary voters for consistently picking the shittiest candidate available.

This is pretty fair.

Campaigning is also so ridiculously expensive for even the most piddling office that most people readily sell to special interests out just to be able to hit the campaign trail. I don't know how to fix that, but it eventually produces loser candidates if you're trying to get voters who actually want you to do something progressive and helpful.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

volts5000 posted:

I don't think this is just a problem with the Democrats. This is a full scale, head-to-toe, rotten system. Social media is able to radicalize people around the world. Billionaires have cultivated a media ecosystem that can literally concoct a scandal out of thin air and mainstream news media just has no idea how to treat it. We could elect the "best of the best" progressives and it won't make a difference because there's institutions surrounding us that will undermine it and can convince people that any progress is bad bad bad.

How can you combat that? How can you protest when people make it legal to run you over and there's media telling you that it's the right thing to do? How can you promote life saving policies like M4A when Facebook says it's a creation of Hugo Chavez and nobody is in a position to stop it! How can we elect good people when fascists have positioned themselves to simply not certify their election?

Every time one of these "Dems bad" slap fights break out here or on Twitter or whatever, I can't help but think of Larry Kramer's Plague speech. "If we can't get our act together, we are as good as dead."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYREhmZcrps

It really is a time where having a good orator as a president would make a huge loving difference. Much as I am loathe to invoke him, someone like Obama who could go on primetime TV and give people the warm fuzzies by telling them how we are in an existential crisis as a nation "but we can get through it because we're special" or whatever the gently caress kinda bullshit that'll get folks up in the morning

that's part 1
part 2 is then following up the message of urgency with New Deal style "gently caress the other side I'm pushing this through" kind of aggressive legislation, like absolutely scorched earth "decorum is dead" stuff to prove that they have the vision and the gumption to meet the urgency of the moment

Neither of which we have or will happen so I've got nothing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Isn't the CRT stuff theh're mad at mostly the seminar that that grifter made for Coca Cola and other companies?

I remember that being a major talking point for some of these wierdos when it first started

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 3, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gripweed posted:

No it's fine, they're already blaming progressives, which is what happens any time some random centrist loses a race they should never have lost

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Why what difference does it make

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't speak for VBC, but I'm glad that a guy who ran a lovely campaign ate poo poo, because it might actually get the rest of the Dems to pull their heads out of their asses before the midterms. I don't want the GOP to win, but I think that the chances of them winning are higher when the Dems run lovely campaigns. If they can learn this lesson now, in a lower stakes election, it could prevent a lot more failures in the future when the stakes are higher.

This is not accelerationism.

Yes, I also hope they can take the lesson that to win electorally when you dont have a once in a generation hated figure to run against, you have to try to control the message by talking about your policy strengths. Pass good policy and run on that as your message, dont get pulled into the sideshow that the right is trying to push. If you dont pass good policy or fail to actually push it as your message, you're just going to be fighting on the terrain they pick.

Also, for the love of god, try to run people with real charisma, it helps. A lot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think Democrats have accomplished nothing of value in Virginia then you're either not paying attention, or too invested in your own narrative to see what you don't want to see.

You can argue that it isn't enough, but it certainly isn't nothing.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/03/03/democrats-controlled-virginia-government-for-two-years-heres-what-they-did/

https://vahousedems.org/2020/03/08/va-house-dems-celebrate-historic-legislative-accomplishments/

Going thru it and it doesn't seem that spectacular to me

quote:

Democrats passed bills to open absentee voting to anyone who wants to cast a ballot early or vote by mail, not just those who have an acceptable excuse.

Fair enough?

quote:

In 2020, they passed the landmark Virginia Clean Economy Act, which sketches out a roadmap for the state’s two largest electric utilities to go carbon-free by 2050 and sets binding annual targets for renewables adoption and energy efficiency.

good...wait...sketches...roadmap..sets...?

quote:

In 2021, efforts shifted to transportation, which is responsible for roughly half of Virginia’s carbon emissions. Lawmakers committed to more stringent transportation emissions standards set by California and shared by 14 other states, as well as a requirement for a certain percentage of vehicles sold in Virginia to be electric. Other laws that have passed begin studying and building out electric vehicle infrastructure, although legislators failed to provide any funding for a rebate program. And a little-noticed bill will create a task force to examine the potential of carbon sequestration.

uh...

quote:

Some members of the more progressive wing of the Democratic caucus in the House unsuccessfully pushed their colleagues to go further, criticizing the Clean Economy Act for not moving fast enough and faulting the chamber’s leadership for blocking consideration of a Virginia version of the Green New Deal in favor of an approach they view as overly deferential to electric utilities.

huh

quote:

When Democrats took control of the General Assembly, they pledged to increase funding for education — touting it as a priority for the 2020 session.

A year later, investments have increased while falling short of the nearly $1 billion that the state’s Board of Education says is necessary to fully fund public schools. This year’s compromise budget includes close to $50 million for school divisions to hire additional support staff such as counselors, nurses and social workers. It improves the ratio of support positions to students, but falls short of fully meeting the board’s recommended Standards of Quality — the minimum guidelines for staffing, instruction and other areas of accreditation.

...okay...

quote:

In higher education, Democrats delivered on one of their biggest priorities — free community college for low- to middle-income students. This year, the General Assembly nearly unanimously backed a bill to fund tuition for students in high-demand fields. It was a campaign promise for Gov. Ralph Northam.

Yes! An alloyed good with tangible effects voters can see improving their lives! I mean it's really just kicking in for when Pell Grants don't cover books and such, but still good job Dem majority. Here's hoping they continue to do this!

quote:

Last year, lawmakers voted to establish a state-run marketplace that would reserve more funding for outreach and enrollment efforts. The goal of the exchange, scheduled to debut in 2023, is to bring on new consumers who would diffuse the cost of premiums.

This year, the General Assembly also approved a reinsurance program funded through federal waivers, state revenue and a small assessment on insurance companies. Recommended by the same workgroup that suggested a state-run exchange, the program aims to offset claims from high-risk patients, lowering the costs for other consumers.

this is all they have under health care. welp.

quote:

Democrats voted to raise the state’s minimum wage to $12 an hour over the next three years — the first increase the state has seen since 2009, when the federal minimum went up to $7.25 an hour.

The agreement represents a substantial increase — with the first bump to $9.50 an hour scheduled to go into effect in May — but it falls short of the $15-an-hour minimum many Democrats campaigned on.

Democrats in the House and Senate found themselves at odds over the proposal, with the House pushing for $15 and the Senate worrying the figure was too high for businesses, particularly in rural areas, to pay.

They’ve agreed to revisit the issue in 2024.

well so much for that

quote:

They were similarly divided over other labor issues, with the Senate scaling back a bill that will allow public sector unions for the first time, but only at the local level and only if approved by local elected officials.

One area where House and Senate lawmakers found agreement was an unwillingness to repeal the state’s right to work law, which bars compulsory payment of union dues as a condition of employment.

The impasse led to one of the more dramatic moments in the House of Delegates this year when Del. Lee Carter, D-Manassas, unsuccessfully attempted to use a procedural maneuver to force a vote on the House floor.

Dem majority couldn't be vigorously pro-union

quote:

In his 2007 autobiography, former Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a prolific Democratic fundraiser, said his father taught him “money in politics was neither evil nor good.”

“Money in politics was like gas in the tank, it was what you needed to get where you were going,” wrote McAuliffe, now seeking a second term as governor.

If the last two sessions are any indication, Democrats like their trajectory.

Several attempts to rein in Virginia’s wide-open campaign finance system by capping contribution amounts or limiting corporate donations have gone nowhere in the Democratic-led legislature, despite reform being a popular issue among progressives.

Also absolutely nothing on taxes.

That's going through the list for big item Dem tickets that could positively affect Virginians lives, and mostly its a small gap funding for community school goers. That's undoubtedly good, but it only affected about 40K ppl in a 8 MM state. Perhaps if the VA Dem majority had done things that affected more people positively, they would have had a better night tonight.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nix Panicus posted:

India Walton probably thought the same thing. Turns out you can always get knifed in the back by conservatives angry someone progressive slipped through!

The incumbent Mayor who has already been elected Mayor 5 times winning re-election is different than a random nobody winning a seat in Congress through a write-in campaign.

Honestly, if you are organized enough and run a campaign strong enough to get sent to Congress as a write-in candidate, having never held federal office before, and when your opponent is the only name on the ballot, then you probably deserve to win.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It really is a time where having a good orator as a president would make a huge loving difference. Much as I am loathe to invoke him, someone like Obama who could go on primetime TV and give people the warm fuzzies by telling them how we are in an existential crisis as a nation "but we can get through it because we're special" or whatever the gently caress kinda bullshit that'll get folks up in the morning

I mean, the democrats wheeled out every centrist superstar available for the Virginia race: Stacey Abrams! Clyburn! Kamala! Obama attracted an astounding hundreds of attendants!

Honestly, rather than this refuting the idea of "do good things = win election", I think it better refutes the twin ideas that you can run on nothing but shouting about a guy who's been absent for a year, and that you can supplement policy with star power. Obama was probably correct to work from behind a phone during the primaries.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that's part 1
part 2 is then following up the message of urgency with New Deal style "gently caress the other side I'm pushing this through" kind of aggressive legislation, like absolutely scorched earth "decorum is dead" stuff to prove that they have the vision and the gumption to meet the urgency of the moment

Neither of which we have or will happen so I've got nothing.

If you have the kind of legislative margins FDR had, then yeah, you can do "gently caress the other side I'm pushing this through." When your margin is "well, we have the tiebreaker," then you've got this.

FDR, Senate/House for the New Deal legislation:

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I kinda felt it was a done deal when Terry said "Well, if Trump had Twitter it would be easier". That was their whole strategy. Trump never even showed up in person.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

^^^^* exactly

Zeron posted:

Sure the Dems deserve to lose because they're poo poo. The rest of us don't deserve the very real harm that happens when they do lose though. Cheering at the fascists winning is an odd, but apparently very popular, look for sure.

I don’t think anyone in this thread is cheering at the fascists winning.

Being happy a bad Dem eats poo poo DOES NOT MEAN being happy that republicans won.

Just like being happy Trump lost did not mean being happy Biden won.

Does this thread understand the difference?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

Isn't the CRT stuff theh're mad at mostly the seminar that that grifter made for Coca Cola and other companies?

I remember that being a major talking point for some of these wierdos when it first started

At this point they're convinced it's being taught in schools, whatever it is. That's what the whole thing with McAuliffe saying parents shouldn't have a say in curriculums was about

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CRT is the new socialism, it means anything and everything they don’t like

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

^^^^* exactly

I don’t think anyone in this thread is cheering at the fascists winning.

Being happy a bad Dem eats poo poo DOES NOT MEAN being happy that republicans won.

Just like being happy Trump lost did not mean being happy Biden won.

Does this thread understand the difference?

This is D&D, so no, many posters do not understand nuance or grey areas.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Judakel posted:

I kinda felt it was a done deal when Terry said "Well, if Trump had Twitter it would be easier". That was their whole strategy. Trump never even showed up in person.

I don't know how to feel about this, it's been clear for some time that the Reps do better when Trump keeps his fat loving mouth shut, and he seems to be able to do that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The incumbent Mayor who has already been elected Mayor 5 times winning re-election is different than a random nobody winning a seat in Congress through a write-in campaign.

Honestly, if you are organized enough and run a campaign strong enough to get sent to Congress as a write-in candidate, having never held federal office before, and when your opponent is the only name on the ballot, then you probably deserve to win.

4 times and in this term, he's poisoned his well by being incessantly pro-cop, even after they nearly killed that old man, and the freshest thing in our mind is the failed speeding-camera project that literally only he wanted and pushed for and they were so hated by everybody that they didn't even last 2 years before being taken down over this summer. He's a poo poo and I can't think of anyone I personally know who actually likes him except corrupt developers, and yet the number of lawn signs for his write-in campaign outnumbered Walton's by at least 2-1. In front of all the big mansions, natch. He ran crying to the Republicans as soon as he lost the primary and got all their endorsements. I hate him with an absolute passion and I'm gutted that he is going to become the longest serving mayor in Buffalo's history. gently caress you, Brown.

Also he went on TV and called me an instigator and an out of towner, so gently caress him doubly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Replacing the Minnesota police force measure also failed today. It's kind of a big bummer.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

can someone who is more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me how phil murphy is doing? it looks super tight but the county that has newark is at less than 1% reporting, at least on the NYTimes tracker

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

I don't know how to feel about this, it's been clear for some time that the Reps do better when Trump keeps his fat loving mouth shut, and he seems to be able to do that.

He's just bad at finding alternative platforms with actual reach, same as he's bad at most things other than Being Trump. But yeah the outcome is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Minneapolis overwhelmingly votes down referendum to convert the police department to a public safety department.

Austin, Texas also overwhelmingly votes down a referendum to make 2/3 (!?!?!?!?) of their budget dedicated to law enforcement.

Not sure what the organizers of that referendum would even do with that much money if they won. Or what the city would do to make up for all of the money they were already legally obligated to spend without raising taxes.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1455718142706061312