Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

OR, and stay with me here this is difficult, if democrats actually offered people something they could earn their votes.

Nah, that can't be it.

you said children overwhelmingly have the politics of their parents. I cited an example where that was not true.

What in the world does that have to do with this post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm angry about healthcare, not Trump.

Yeah. The GOP has weaponized their party anger into votes with action. The Democrats have weaponized anger at their own party and shot themselves in the foot with it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/james_roe/status/1455715345696636932

my point is electoralism is a dead end for leftists, and the democratic party will NEVER willingly share power with actual leftists
i mean we're posting in the virginia election thread, and the results of this election would seem to indicate that the leftist message may be getting dogged by the woke. the Macker is DC Centrist Brain Worm Prime, literally his entire career has just been being moneybags for the party, and he just got hosed by the woke-in-school thing despite the best efforts of the party. i dont think leftists are losing because of secret evil machine politics, i think we may be losing because our message turns to dogshit when it's combined with stupid woke tricks:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1455709644324749312?s=21

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://twitter.com/FOX9/status/1455715906252836864

Well, a potential progressive idea regarding poilce reform failed to launch. This is sad.

Youngkin admitted he would have disputed the 2020 election.

Being GOP now means you're on board with "stopping the steal." The GOP are on course to controlling the House of Delegates, the AG's office, the Lt. Governor's seat and the Governor's mansion. They almost certainly will try to deny any electoral result they do not like and I think you have to have Democrats gather ridiculous numbers of votes before they do not get away with it. There is no Dan Quayle equivalent who will step up and stop them this time around.

I'm feeling pretty dismal.

Sucks but then the democrats spent the last year trying to be the party of the police by thanking them for doing such a good job on Jan 6. I'm sure the overwhelmingly right wing police force of this country will switch to the dems tho.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i mean we're posting in the virginia election thread, and the results of this election would seem to indicate that the leftist message may be getting dogged by the woke. the Macker is DC Centrist Brain Worm Prime, literally his entire career has just been being moneybags for the party, and he just got hosed by the woke-in-school thing despite the best efforts of the party. i dont think leftists are losing because of secret evil machine politics, i think we may be losing because our message turns to dogshit when it's combined with stupid woke tricks:

he got hosed because he spent the entire campaign running against trump and ignoring actual material interests of the voters

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

T-Mac got killed by the Mom Karen vote lol

The Karen be a Harsh Fickle Mistress Arrr

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Willa, is there anyone you're tracking for the NJ race? I spoke too soon and it looks spicy in all the wrong ways.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

did you just learn the word "woke"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Willa, is there anyone you're tracking for the NJ race? I spoke too soon and it looks spicy in all the wrong ways.

With blue areas in it looks spicy?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

t-mac pulling a podesta 2016 & not yet conceding.

daft
Oct 16, 2012
dorothy dorthy dorothy

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

nah, I'm just looking at the cable news pirate streams & listening to King/Kornecki.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Judakel posted:

With blue areas in it looks spicy?

I read on the NY Times that the Dems are likely to hold on, but I'm curious how tight the margins are getting.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pretty sure insufficient racism was not actually T-Mac’s main problem, nor is a Clintonite retread’s inability to articulate why public education is good a particular indictment of the left for being too “woke”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

always a good sign when a candidate comes out & says "let's wait & see"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Do you honestly just not give a single poo poo about what Republicans do when they're in power? Why don't you try being a teacher in Trump Country like I am, seeing Trans kids misgendered by their own parents and every other teacher at a conference, or see a parent wearing a "Trump and Guns Protect America," shirt screaming at his daughter for that B she got, or see two students prepare a presentation on Gay Rights History only for the principle to personally come shut it down because a student said she didn't want to hear about gay people in history class, and then have to try and emotionally support them when they have a nervous breakdown over it?

I'm so loving tired of all the most Holier Than Thou posters on D&D mocking me for taking the fact that Republicans and loving fascists and are pushing fascist policy seriously. I live under single-party rule by these nazi fucks and have for five years, and you all seem to want it to spread because you think things will magically get better once we get on the other side of it. If they get what they want THERE IS NO loving OTHER SIDE.

But I guess that's just "heated rhetoric."

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this. That's a lovely situation, no matter what way you slice it. A lot of vulnerable people like the folks you describe are going to have a tough few years ahead of them. I know that that can be a truly awful thing to witness first-hand. Those people would have had a tough time no matter how this evening's election went, but it's certainly going to suck given how things turned out. I don't think folks mean to mock you personally for taking Republicans and fascism seriously. I think a lot of online leftists are more reacting to folks who have been responding to their warnings that the Dems didn't have this election in the bag with this:

https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1336821687992594435

So it's pretty rich for the Jim Clyburns and Josh Gottheimers and Claire McCaskills of the party to already be blaming the left for tonight's outcome. It's doubly rich to see folks still vote shaming people for voting for a third-party actually-left-wing candidate when that clearly wasn't the problem with this election.

The point is, your anger and resentment are justified but misplaced. The people here who gave their all to the Virginia Strategy should be loving furious right now - more furious than the smiling dude in my av, even! The party leadership took advantage of them and their hard work. Don't reward them for it. They are the ones who took the hard work of every Virginia activist and volunteer here and elsewhere and wiped their asses with it. Remember this, and remember that you don't have to defend them. They are not your allies, they are not in this game to help those vulnerable people that you care about, and they will not be vehicles to real, lasting, meaningful progress.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Buffalo Mayor race also looks like it had incredibly low turnout. Looking like it will be around 11% of registered voters.

https://twitter.com/WBEN/status/1455719757513207813

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Imagine if they had passed reconciliation with parental leave included. I doubt they'd lose women voters in VA

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

he got hosed because he spent the entire campaign running against trump and ignoring actual material interests of the voters
turns out the material interest of white women in virginia is "don't shove that poo poo down my kid's throat, thanks." mcauliffe ran hard on abortion rights and paid leave and still lost hard because woke poo poo really is that repulsive to voters, but a bunch of white college kids have the party in thrall, so expect the dems to keep slamming their dick in a car door over issues that shouldn't be in front of voters in the first place

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

maddow describes t-mac's appearance as "an upbeat speech & a weird little dance."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I don't know why anyone is trying to read Tea leaves on an election where a uniquely terrible candidate lost closely in a purple state.

Like that education gaff pissed off every Harrier Mom in the suburbs- loving idiot couldn't have given a better opening to Youngkin if he bared his chest and put a sticky note on that said "insert sword here"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't know why antone is trying to read Tea leaves on an election where a uniquely terrible candidate lost closely in a purple state.

Like that educstion gaff pissed off every Harrier Mom in the suburbs- loving idiot couldn't have given a better opening to Youngkin if he bared his chest and put a sticky note om that said "insert sword here"

I mentioned tea leaves specifically in response to the current NJ results, but the VA counties that swung from Northam or Biden to Youngkin prolly also tell a tale.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man, if only the Democrats could find a message and strategy of real changes in the face of looming economic and ecologic catastrophe, instead of twiddling their thumbs and means-testing new excuses for their inability to do anything at all.

Darn it!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah. The GOP has weaponized their party anger into votes with action. The Democrats have weaponized anger at their own party and shot themselves in the foot with it.

I mean it's kind of simple, the Republicans get their base mad about things that are easy to deliver. To their base the message is "we won't make things worse". Mad about schools? Well we won't make them worse by letting awful CRT in them! Mad about the economy? Well we won't make it worse by spending money! Most of the time the promise is that they won't do anything and that's really easy to deliver.

The Dems on the other hand use promises that are hard to deliver and that let's be honest a lot of them don't want to deliver. The Dems use healthcare to make you mad. It's not uncontroversial to say not all of them want to pass healthcare legislation. Trump felt like a blessing because now you have something that will make people angry and you don't actually need to do any work. If you win bam, it's self-fulfilling. Except they won, he's supposed to be gone, but he's not, and you can't win a fake victory over him because unlike the rights understanding of CRT it's not a monster they made up in their own heads.

I don't know, it just feels really clear to me that if you can't make promises that you can fulfill and fulfill in a way that's clear to voters you're going to keep losing to the party that tells them things won't get worse and every day they'll check under the bed for the boogyman. Are those a bunch of made up problems? Sure but when people perceive that no problems are being solved they'll pick the person who promises to fix the fake ones. It's better than nothing if you're poor and if you're well off you're probably mostly focused on fake problems anyways.

Even the too woke poo poo plays into this. No one would give a gently caress about any of that if real problems were solved. gently caress you got mine, the racism, and the hate it breeds are all born from the fact that you can have yours in this country and never really have it secured. You can have yours and still be a few medical bills and missed paychecks away from being homeless. People in this country wouldn't treat each other like it's a life or death struggle for scraps if it wasn't so often actually that. And the Dems go to that angle because it's their attempt at creating culture war boogymen to fight instead of govern. If they just governed they wouldn't need it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't even know when this would be true, lol.

You don't think the US is slowly becoming a facist state?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SourKraut posted:

slowly?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Becoming?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

State?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

turns out the material interest of white women in virginia is "don't shove that poo poo down my kid's throat, thanks." mcauliffe ran hard on abortion rights and paid leave and still lost hard because woke poo poo really is that repulsive to voters, but a bunch of white college kids have the party in thrall, so expect the dems to keep slamming their dick in a car door over issues that shouldn't be in front of voters in the first place

Ah yes, it's the Progressives who are at fault, not the dipshit centrists holding up infrastructure bills or the dipshit third wayer who ran to to the right of Biden on spending (lol why) and then put a target on his back for every mom in Virginia

You've really cracked that loving code, bravo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

the youngkin ads for the last month started with playing that macauliffe clip about parents not having a say in children's education (because some 17 year old GOP activists had to read toni morrison or whatever). by this morning it was about how tmac was putting pedophiles in your kids schools and protecting sex pest teachers (unions). i thought that was a sign of desperation but it seems the dogwhistle is alive and well. that means the republicans are back to having a "variable volume" strategy

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

It would really help my piece of mind if Murphy's vote total finally surpassed Ciattarelli's.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CRT is a perfect issue for the fascists because they don’t have to do anything once they’re elected; just keep the karens’ blood boiling with scary stories of Toni Morrison books and promises that you’ll fix it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

gently caress around for a year and find out I guess? :shrug:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/RussOnPolitics/status/1455725129992912903

Yikes.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The GOP has a concrete strategy to make fundamental changes to the country to give their voters what they want. Those changes are usually insane and cruel, but their voters want them and they see their party genuinely pushing to make them happen. As a result, their voters are engaged and turn out to vote.

The Democratic base clearly wants fundamental changes too; just look at the polling for things like universal healthcare and the GND. But their party doesn't actually want fundamental change; Biden came out and said it, and the party's actions clearly show a lack of desire and will to make real changes. As a result, their voters are disengaged and don't turn out to vote.

That's it. There's a fundamental disconnect between the desires of the Democratic Party and a huge part (the young part) of their base. There's no way to square the circle. Without Trump as a boogeyman, there's simply no way to paper over the crumbling walls.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Ah yes, it's the Progressives who are at fault, not the dipshit centrists holding up infrastructure bills or the dipshit third wayer who ran to to the right of Biden on spending (lol why) and then put a target on his back for every mom in Virginia

You've really cracked that loving code, bravo

I think KOTEX's point isn't that progressives were to blame, but rather that running on culture war issues, as opposed to "here's how we made your lives materially better over the past decade, and how we're going to keep making them better in the future," was always going to be a losing proposition.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/...ingawful.com%2F

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I've been hearing tepid takes from family all night. So far consensus was that McAuliffe's campaign fizzled out after "telling the truth the wrong way" in a statement about schools and that national level quibbling sapped enthusiasm. And that a established candidate is always tied to their record.

I personally think it should be a wakeup call about what national level politics does to local energy, which is going to be spun against the posting enemies other wings of the party based on whoever is speaking.

People feel like they're in a sore spot. If reopening or relief comes before the midterms it will probably knock off that miasma of failure.

Youngkin also seems to have run a very good campaign to win Virginia, maintaining a bit of independence from Trump image wise. This might not be a trick anyone else can or will repeat . I would prepare for an insane meltdown and political unpersoning if he actually has to adopt real policy positions, especially with an unfriendly state house. So expect it to be a one time deal unless the next year is another total disaster. And even then this was a candidate done through an unusual mechanism. A primary would have put forward a different kind of candidate.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SourKraut posted:

No, I just don't know when it wasn't at least fascist adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I would prepare for an insane meltdown and political unpersoning if he actually has to adopt real policy positions, especially with an unfriendly state house.
Is he going to have an unfriendly house?