Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Now that it's clear that you can run a counter-campaign after losing a primary, and at least half of the local party will support you over the actual winner, I cant imagine any centrist incumbent ever willingly backing down to a left challenger. Clearly you can do that and democrat voters will reward you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The incumbent Mayor who has already been elected Mayor 5 times winning re-election is different than a random nobody winning a seat in Congress through a write-in campaign.

Honestly, if you are organized enough and run a campaign strong enough to get sent to Congress as a write-in candidate, having never held federal office before, and when your opponent is the only name on the ballot, then you probably deserve to win.

Really it just means 'vote blue no matter who' was always an idiot fiction because the democrats feel no obligation to follow it when the wrong person wins, and if your candidate doesn't win the primary its cool to vote third party or just stay home.

E: I know I personally will use the example of Walton in the future when I talk leftists out of feeling compelled to vote for democrats if their preferred candidate loses a democrat primary. It really helps to know the opposition would not hesitate to undermine your candidate if they had won, so there is no remorse at all in undermining them when they win

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 3, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Doctor Teeth posted:

can someone who is more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me how phil murphy is doing? it looks super tight but the county that has newark is at less than 1% reporting, at least on the NYTimes tracker

He should win pretty comfortably.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Doctor Teeth posted:

can someone who is more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me how phil murphy is doing? it looks super tight but the county that has newark is at less than 1% reporting, at least on the NYTimes tracker

Doing worse than he should, but the large Republican areas are most done reporting and the large democratic strongholds haven't reported yet. He should win by a lot

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Now that it's clear that you can run a counter-campaign after losing a primary, and at least half of the local party will support you over the actual winner, I cant imagine any centrist incumbent ever willingly backing down to a left challenger. Clearly you can do that and democrat voters will reward you for it.

Maybe the left challengers need to figure out how to get more people to vote for them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neurolimal posted:

This strategy doesn't always work, but Brown did everything he could to gently caress over Walton and it seems like it succeeded

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

It demonstrates that the argument of "pass good stuff and people will love you" is patently bullshit, though.

This isn't really a referendum on VA's policy of the last couple of years though because Terry McAuliffe chose to ignore any of that progress and run a campaign where he told parents what he actually meant when he said they shouldn't have a say in their childrens education

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe the left challengers need to figure out how to get more people to vote for them.

How did the write-in campaign take off with such force?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe we should ratfuck centrists as hard as they ratfuck us

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

^^^^* exactly

I don’t think anyone in this thread is cheering at the fascists winning.

Being happy a bad Dem eats poo poo DOES NOT MEAN being happy that republicans won.

Just like being happy Trump lost did not mean being happy Biden won.

Does this thread understand the difference?

"Great news! My piece of poo poo car burst into flames, so my insurance is going to cover the cost of a new one! It was a shame my grandpa was in it, but hey! NEW CAR!"

Being happy that a bad Dem ate poo poo would be good if that didn't mean a fascist won as a result. If the bad Dem ate poo poo and nothing else happened as a result, then sure, throw a parade in the streets, but this has long-term negative consequences for millions of people.

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is D&D, so no, many posters do not understand nuance or grey areas.

This isn't about nuance or grey areas. A fascist that was able to keep the mask on better than most Republicans just got elected. I'd be happy if the bad Dem ate poo poo in the primary, but not in the general. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TwoQuestions posted:

I don't know how to feel about this, it's been clear for some time that the Reps do better when Trump keeps his fat loving mouth shut, and he seems to be able to do that.

No he doesn't. It is just that no one is watching. He just keeps talking poo poo in his own little corner.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

If they do I hope they let Terry McAuliffe in on the secret

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

it's very local to me and not that important, but the mayor of a springfield, mo suburb declined to oust the mayor over mask mandates by a lot

https://twitter.com/springfieldNL/status/1455716861996322818

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nonsense posted:

How did the write-in campaign take off with such force?

Brown has been in NYS politics for 30 years and is owed all kinds of favors and also cops and developers love him because he's a NY democrat who loves cops and pork projects that go nowhere but make people a lot of money.

Trazz posted:

Maybe we should ratfuck centrists as hard as they ratfuck us

The Republicans aren't interested in working with progressives to ratfuck centrists.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Here's a weird quirk.

The VA Governor race set a turnout record - looking like it will be between 55% and 60%.

The Buffalo Mayor race looks like it had incredibly low turnout. Looking like it will be between 9% and 11% of registered voters.

https://twitter.com/WBEN/status/1455719757513207813

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

This isn't really a referendum on VA's policy of the last couple of years though because Terry McAuliffe chose to ignore any of that progress and run a campaign where he told parents what he actually meant when he said they shouldn't have a say in their childrens education

Case in point:

This doesn't look like an ad that would get people to vote for Terrance!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

India was utterly crushed into dust. She couldn't rally the communities backing Brown going by this vid.

https://twitter.com/jslaternyc/status/1455722600177365000?s=20

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

The Republicans aren't interested in working with progressives to ratfuck centrists.

It's almost like the problem from the start has been that we don't have power and don't have any real path to get it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lol at Leon's hyperfocus on the Buffalo mayoral race to exclusion of the NJ & VA governors' races.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Flying-PCP posted:

It's almost like the problem from the start has been that we don't have power and don't have any real path to get it.

Being a leftist means never having any real power but being treated and blamed as if you do

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

This strategy doesn't always work, but Brown did everything he could to gently caress over Walton and it seems like it succeeded
I really don't think a write-in campaign can scale up, at least reliably.

In 2010 Alvin Greene won the Dem primary in SC in, umm, really strange circumstances. Alvin Greene spent $0 (zero) on his campaign, had no endorsements, no ads--really this whole thing could be a whole other post, because Alvin Greene under no circumstances should have won that primary. Literally the worst candidate run by either major party I've seen (not in terms of platform, GOP is pretty evil, although even there things were lol).

Anyway, the Greens and the Dem who was favored to win capitalized on this, the later of whom (backed by Clyburn and the state party) started a write-in campaign (others also began write-in campaigns). The Greens got 9% of the vote. The sum total of write-in votes was just over 1%. Alvin Greene, who was officially the Democrat on the ballot, got 27% of the vote.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here's a weird quirk.

The VA Governor race set a turnout record - looking like it will be between 55% and 60%.

The Buffalo Mayor race looks like it had incredibly low turnout. Looking like it will be between 9% and 11% of registered voters.

I think this pisses me off the most. I was worried about the race but I didn't think she's get crushed this badly and it stings even more that 90% of people just didn't care who won. We literally just had to get people to wander in and check the only box on the ballot and couldn't even manage that.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Case in point:

This doesn't look like an ad that would get people to vote for Terrance!

That is just embarrassing.

I don't have faith that the correct lessons will be learned from this, but I do have absolute faith that the postmortems this week are going to be endlessly painful to read as everyone from the entire political spectrum explains how and why this loss validates their political strategies.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Here's a weird quirk.

The numbers look not too dissimilar to past Buffalo mayoral elections to me, though. Does suggest that the extra attention to the race didn't really drive up turnout. More of a testament to the fact that Americans don't tend to pay much attention to local politics, really.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 3, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

I think this pisses me off the most. I was worried about the race but I didn't think she's get crushed this badly and it stings even more that 90% of people just didn't care who won. We literally just had to get people to wander in and check the only box on the ballot and couldn't even manage that.

It says a lot of bad things about India Walton as a politician, unfortunately. She simply did not connect with the public at all and could not give anyone a reason to leave the house and go vote for her. This is almost entirely on her.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
CNN still hasn't called VA even though McAuliffe has to get 2/3 of every vote left

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Eric Adams with a narrow 42 point over Sliwa in NYC.

Boston Mayoral race just called - Michelle Wu to become next Mayor of Boston.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Here's a weird quirk.

plot twist: half are for JEB!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So for some good news, Richie Floyd won his district 8 race for St Pete city council. DemSoc member and overall seems like a good guy. Good to see, since I still have family in the area. Local elections matter and you might even be able to impact them.

https://twitter.com/shecarrieson/status/1455706737529479169?s=21

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

It says a lot of bad things about India Walton as a politician, unfortunately. She simply did not connect with the public at all and could not give anyone a reason to leave the house and go vote for her. This is almost entirely on her.

Virginia is a greater disaster and likely the harbinger of things to come. A literal blue state made Red.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Is California the only state to figure out that we need to completely purge the GOP?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Virginia is a greater disaster and likely the harbinger of things to come. A literal blue state made Red.
I had always heard on these forums that VA is safely blue.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Looks like the Republicans have NJ too, with 60% in it's R by 4 points.

EDIT: Should have said, is this a case where the city hasn't reported in yet?

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 3, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TwoQuestions posted:

Lol really? Come on my guy

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shammypants posted:

Lol really? Come on my guy

That's his thing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

TwoQuestions posted:

EDIT: Should have said, is this a case where the city hasn't reported in yet?

All the outstanding precincts are NYC suburbs.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Trazz posted:

Is California the only state to figure out that we need to completely purge the GOP?

We haven't really done great things with it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, her and McAuliffe followed the Clinton mold of being loser candidates I guess. Just didn't connect, with the blame entirely on them.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Judakel posted:

We haven't really done great things with it.

Makes me wonder who the GOP will run against Newsom next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1455719491439038466?s=20

The Trump Strategy has failed, The Byron Model is born, unions are growing fangs, it is a time of chaos.

For real though, I'm glad that unions are starting to throw their weight around.