Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i would like for people to not be jerks about this, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Eric Cantonese posted:

It would really help my piece of mind if Murphy's vote total finally surpassed Ciattarelli's.

NJ's third most populous county, with over 700k people, is reporting 0% and is 82% democrat. It's 2nd most populous county, around 800k, is almost done counting and is breaking +14 dem. Its most populous county is breaking +10 R, but it also did that in the 2020 Election and its almost half done counting. There's another county of 500k people that's 60% democrat and only 2% reporting. Most of the other counties are more than half done and they're splitting relatively evenly at 55-60 margins each, making most of the rest of the state a wash.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/1050183040/new-jersey-governor-election-results-murphy-ciattarelli

At this point I think none of the vote counters are talking about it because there's nothing to talk about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is he going to have an unfriendly house?

No.

The era of split tickets is mostly dead. Generally, the Governor's party wins the House with him.

The Senate may be different.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No.

The era of split tickets is mostly dead. Generally, the Governor's party wins the House with him.

The Senate still has a narrow Democratic majority. We'll see if that lasts.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

No.

No Virginia Senate elections today, but the D margin is only 3 votes I believe. Virginia is going to see a lot of the hard work of cool people like Friendbot go up in flames.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Majorian posted:

I think KOTEX's point isn't that progressives were to blame, but rather that running on culture war issues, as opposed to "here's how we made your lives materially better over the past decade, and how we're going to keep making them better in the future," was always going to be a losing proposition.
thanks, yes this was my real point.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Senate still has a narrow Democratic majority. We'll see if that lasts.

Yeah the VA House is looking like a tie/slight GOP majority. VA Senate doesn't come up for reelection until 2023. So, failing Reps winning the trifecta in 2023, Dems are absolutely not going to get a veto-proof majority even if they take back the house so I can look forward to 4 years minimum of literally nothing being done but dogwhistles and racism as the Republican House/Gov/AG/Supreme Court are all stymied by the Senate..hopefully.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sanguinia posted:

No Virginia Senate elections today, but the D margin is only 3 votes I believe. Virginia is going to see a lot of the hard work of cool people like Friendbot go up in flames.

Yeah, and with the heavy (and successful) GOP efforts to restrict voting rights and access, I expect Virginia to basically go red from here on out.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

The GOP has a concrete strategy to make fundamental changes to the country to give their voters what they want. Those changes are usually insane and cruel, but their voters want them and they see their party genuinely pushing to make them happen. As a result, their voters are engaged and turn out to vote.

The Democratic base clearly wants fundamental changes too; just look at the polling for things like universal healthcare and the GND. But their party doesn't actually want fundamental change; Biden came out and said it, and the party's actions clearly show a lack of desire and will to make real changes. As a result, their voters are disengaged and don't turn out to vote.

That's it. There's a fundamental disconnect between the desires of the Democratic Party and a huge part (the young part) of their base. There's no way to square the circle. Without Trump as a boogeyman, there's simply no way to paper over the crumbling walls.

There's also a huge portion of the county that's just not politically involved and instead of any real attempts to capture them and sway them both parties fight over a small shrinking pool of voters. I wonder if radical societal change that improved their life would turn all the people who've told me "Why bother voting, it's already been decided and doesn't impact me" into voters for that party? Who knows, why bother, instead please let me tell you how my friends across the aisle want to kill you and put you in a camp. And if you don't vote let me tell you how dogshit your brains are.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

It would really help my piece of mind if Murphy's vote total finally surpassed Ciattarelli's.

current margin is almost identical to VA, but with a lot fewer votes in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Willa Rogers posted:

current margin is almost identical to VA, but with a lot fewer votes in.

Did you look at where the uncounted votes are before you posted this? I'm curious.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i would like for people to not be jerks about this, thank you

Could you please be a little more specific?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Did you look at where the uncounted votes are before you posted this? I'm curious.

I'm listening to John King describing NJ suburbs that went for Obama, H. Clinton & Biden going R tonight.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well at least the grocery sales tax will go away right? Gee you'd think a Democrat might have thought of that one.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Murdstone posted:

Well at least the grocery sales tax will go away right? Gee you'd think a Democrat might have thought of that one.

If he keeps that promise. The Republican Governor of Arkansas ran on that same thing and it never happened.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, and with the heavy (and successful) GOP efforts to restrict voting rights and access, I expect Virginia to basically go red from here on out.

Dems won the Governorship in Kentucky and Louisiana right after Trump won them by 30+ points.

Republicans won the VA Governor's election by 17 points right after Obama won.

Republicans won the NJ Governor's election by 20+ points right before they filled every elected office with a Democrat and voted 18+ points for a D President.

The Republicans aren't cancelling elections because of a single off-year election where the Republican gets 51% of the vote for Governor.

A single off-year election is not indicative of some radical shift in the preferences of Virginia voters in the last 9 months. Louisiana and Kentucky aren't blue states and there will still be elections in Virginia going forward.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 3, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Willa Rogers posted:

Could you please be a little more specific?

If, as seems likely, t-mac loses, a lot of people are going to be emotionally distressed. I would prefer to minimize people gloating at them and/or various angry exchanges. "Please don't be an rear end in a top hat" is something of a general rule, but I would like people to observe it more closely tonight.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dems won the Governorship in Kentucky and Louisiana right after Trump won them by 30+ points.

Republicans won the NJ Governor's election by 20+ points right before they filled every elected office with a Democrat and voted 10+ points for a D President.

The Republicans aren't cancelling elections because of a single off-year election where the Republican gets 51% of the vote for Governor.

A single off-year election is not indicative of some radical shift in the preferences of Virginia voters in the last 9 months.

I'm not sure I would call John Bel Edwards a "Dem", but I'll give you Kentucky.

The Obama-era examples don't really matter, because Republicans have ramped up their vote suppression and gerrymandering efforts substantially.

However, any state that has significant/majority Republican control, is now at risk of seeing significant vote suppression and "Stop the Steal" ideology driving public policy, and the problem is that vote suppression when successful, effectively long-term limits the capabilities of others to make change, because they won't be able to get voted in to do so.

And as we're seeing, even when there is an opportunity to codify voting rights and access, the Democrats don't take it, which only further enables GOP efforts to change it so they have long-term guaranteed power.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Looks like India Walton lost massively to write-ins lol. The PA Judicial seats all seem to be going to GOP including maybe the Supreme Court one.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Vorik posted:

Looks like India Walton lost massively to write-ins lol. The PA Judicial seats all seem to be going to GOP including maybe the Supreme Court one.

Christ. :(

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, Dana Bash said tonight's results will make Dems scale back the reconciliation bill even further. Way to read the room.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If, as seems likely, t-mac loses, a lot of people are going to be emotionally distressed. I would prefer to minimize people gloating at them and/or various angry exchanges. "Please don't be an rear end in a top hat" is something of a general rule, but I would like people to observe it more closely tonight.

Thanks! That's a lot clearer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's to fill a Republican retirement and won't change the makeup of the state Supreme Court.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So this is, explicitly, a pre-emptive and one-sidedly partisan mod intervention to protect people's feelings that aligns precisely with pre-existing criticisms of D&D moderation?

Neat.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So with Virginia voting in a Republican governor, could we expect the same thing to happen to other blue states or not likely?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

LGD posted:

So this is, explicitly, a pre-emptive and one-sidedly partisan mod intervention to protect people's feelings that aligns precisely with pre-existing criticisms of D&D moderation?

Neat.

There's been more anger at lefties than actual gloating by lefties, so this might be a sweet spot, if it's followed by mods.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/EthanBWinter/status/1455726418948722692?s=20

Yikes. That's pretty bad if not even state level climate measures are able to win

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willo567 posted:

So with Virginia voting in a Republican governor, could we expect the same thing to happen to other blue states or not likely?

There are no other Gubernatorial elections this year.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

LGD posted:

Neat.

It's "partisan," to ask people not to intentionally incite anxiety among other posters, is it?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I am not sure why someone who has issues with anxiety is reading this thread at this moment, but I wish them well and hope they feel better.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Republicans won the NJ Governor's election by 20+ points right before they filled every elected office with a Democrat and voted 18+ points for a D President.

A single off-year election is not indicative of some radical shift in the preferences of Virginia voters in the last 9 months.
The issue is that you're looking at the broader trends of politics. And if we follow those trends, pretty predictable stuff like Virginia's Governorship switching parties or the President's party losing seats in Congress happen next year. To be fair, trends also tell us that in general Biden is more likely to win than not in 2024, but another former President going against him would be a really unusual situation.

The problem is that for a lot of people, we're kind of in the endgame here. We're facing a global climate catastrophe where thousands of people are going to die and be displaced, and that is the best case scenario. The former President tried to launch a coup, orchestrated a terrorist attack on Congress, and tried to topple an election.

I think most people in these forums recognize that the Democrats needed to go big and bold because we just can't really afford the ebb and flow of the great market of ideas anymore. We needed to try to turn the tide. And while some things will be done through the Biden administration that are net good, the stakes are too dire for business as usual to be acceptable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's to fill a Republican retirement and won't change the makeup of the state Supreme Court.

I think Eric was responding to Walton losing to a write-in candidate in a low-turnout race beset by a huge amount of conservative Democratic fuckery.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

It's "partisan," to ask people not to intentionally incite anxiety among other posters, is it?

Seems kinda partisan to get mad at the people pointing out the dems blew a race they should have won, or for blaming third party voters for the democrat's mess. We all think the democrats are incompetent here, no need for infighting

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vorik posted:

Yikes. That's pretty bad if not even state level climate measures are able to win

Maine is such a wierd loving state to gage for any political action. It's like the wierd sibling of New England the way they vote sometimes

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Judakel posted:

I am not sure why someone who has issues with anxiety is reading this thread at this moment, but I wish them well and hope they feel better.

Because I'm trying to keep up with New Jersey results.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

There are no other Gubernatorial elections this year.

I mean for next year and beyond

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vorik posted:

It's a lot more complicated than that https://bangordailynews.com/2021/11/02/politics/maines-battle-over-the-cmp-corridor-was-years-in-the-making-and-its-not-over-yet-xoasq1i29i/

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Because I'm trying to keep up with New Jersey results.

You could make some money on predict-it right now by buying up other's doubts. The demographics of where votes are left to be counted looks like its going to be a closer than expected win, but still a win for the dems.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nix Panicus posted:

Seems kinda partisan to get mad at the people pointing out the dems blew a race they should have won, or for blaming third party voters for the democrat's mess. We all think the democrats are incompetent here, no need for infighting

I haven't seen anyone getting mad at pointing out Dem shortcomings, or that blaming 3rd party voters is stupid (in this thread, there was that blowup in USNews the other day admittedly). I have seen people getting mad, and indeed I GOT mad, as people acting gleeful about Republican empowerment because its at Democrat expense. Nobody needs to be licking their chops over more Dem Pigs going to the slaughter when it means we all have to live under the Wolves rule, and that attitude stressing people out is understandable.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Judakel posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how responsible we are for people's anxieties; maybe a mod can clarify the Line That Cannot Be Crossed.

I know that both Democratic Underground & Daily Kos strictly censor negative sentiments toward Democrats, so maybe people can check out safer spaces if they're having issues with D&D triggering mental-health crises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

You could make some money on predict-it right now by buying up other's doubts. The demographics of where votes are left to be counted looks like its going to be a closer than expected win, but still a win for the dems.

Good news is I haven't vomited tonight so...there's that.