Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I applaud you for the huge amount of effort, I have no solutions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Taima posted:

Ok fine. I have another question related to the overall setup so I'll explain what's happening here.

:rock:

Anyways that's basically it, shrug.

Well that's pretty loving cool and thanks for writing it up.

A few thoughts:
The NVIDIA control panel has a "rotate display" function that will likely do what you need but I'm guessing you want to be able to use other sources. I'd be interested in measuring the latency of NVIDIA's version vs. LG's method. I could see it adding a frame of latency.

I own an X4400 and believe your receiver can do what you want. Look at Settings --> Inputs --> Input Assign. You'd run DAC --> Receiver and assign one of your inputs to use HDMI X + OPT Y.

You can also do manual audio latency adjustments on the receiver in Settings --> Audio --> Audio Delay.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

So my question is: are there any companies making good OLED TVs who also have models where you can plug USB devices in and they play video files? For example, LG is out because their USB support consists of showing you three folders called Photos, Music, and Videos, none of which have anything in them. Thanks in advance.
I can plug an USB drive with mkv files in my LG and it plays them.
BUT, on modern TVs only Android based ones support DTS sound in files (using 3rd party players like Kodi)

Taima posted:

For somewhat complicated reasons that are beyond the scope of the question, I need my tv to be upside down but still display a "normal" picture like it wasn't flipped.

Get gravity boots.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 1, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Escobarbarian posted:

The most important thing for me with a TV is being able to play video files - specifically mkvs - straight from USB. As such, I generally stick with Samsung, who are the only provider I KNOW this will work with. This of course is an issue as I consider upgrading to OLED because they insist on using QLED instead, and my understanding is that while it does have some benefits, it is definitely not as good overall.

So my question is: are there any companies making good OLED TVs who also have models where you can plug USB devices in and they play video files? For example, LG is out because their USB support consists of showing you three folders called Photos, Music, and Videos, none of which have anything in them. Thanks in advance.

Do LG sets have access to a VLC Player app? That might get you more competent access to a usb stick.
But yeah, My Samsung plasma had .mkv support right out of the box all the way back in 2012.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Do LG sets have access to a VLC Player app?

Only Android based ones have Kodi and VLC.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I am looking to buy a TV that we are going to sit 5.5-6 feet away from.
Based on my Google search I should get a 32 inch model. Unfortunately, all these small models seem to be really bad compared to the 42 inch versions by the same manufacturers.

I don’t really have any 4K content to consume, only Switch games and basic streaming services.
Would it make sense to get a 42 inch TV or would I notice the bad resolution at my sitting distance?

teppichporsche fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 1, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
40-43 inch is just fine for 6 feet:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

teppichporsche posted:

Based on my Google search I should get a 32 inch model. Unfortunately, all these small models seem to be really bad compared to the 42 inch versions by the same manufacturers.

I don’t really have consume any 4K content, only Switch games and basic streaming services.
Would it make sense to get a 42 inch TV or would I notice the bad resolution at my sitting distance?

I would personally recommend 55" at that distance, and no, you won't notice bad resolution at 5-6 feet with a 32-48. The Switch's graphics capability (or lack thereof) is the real limiting factor in this case, but I've played on everything from 24-55 inches and it's really not a big deal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teppichporsche posted:

I don’t really have any 4K content to consume, only Switch games and basic streaming services.
Absolutely do not get the 32" models. Below the 42" mark are generally pretty garbage.

And honestly I'd go 50"

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Absolutely do not get the 32" models. Below the 42" mark are generally pretty garbage.

And honestly I'd go 50"

except for 48" OLEDs all TVs under 55" are somehow "less" than other sizes in the same series. Worse refreshrate or speakers or something else.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MikusR posted:

except for 48" OLEDs all TVs under 55" are somehow "less" than other sizes in the same series. Worse refreshrate or speakers or something else.

Ha yeah I had a whole post in mind detailing all of that... Then my kids woke up and I just hit enter lol

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

teppichporsche posted:

Your Google search results were bad and outdated. Get on massive TV tech and upgrade your streaming services to the 4k versions to take advantage of your new screen real estate.

I'm about the same distance from my screen with a 55" TV and I could definitely go up to 65".

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 1, 2021

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

codo27 posted:

TCL 6 series or Sony 900 or whatever

I guess I'll be looking out for these on sale during Black Friday, since I am in the same boat as the person you're responding to. Do the recommendations change if it's a fairly bright room with a large window? We moved and now our TV is ~11-12' away from the sofa. Our old 48" TV isn't really ideal for our new setup. I know nothing about TVs. Usage is mostly just Netflix/Youtube, so picture quality doesn't have to be top of the top. Just decent.

Based on some online calculators, it looks like 11-12' away warrants an 85"+ TV. Hopefully 75" will cut it, because I'm not sure we can justify the price jump from 75 to 85.

Honestly, Amazon and BB have the TCL 6 75" for $1300, which Camelcamelcamel says is a slightly lower price than the past year. Is it even worth waiting for bigger sales?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
2020 Sony X950G 65” just showed up; the mount from monoprice wont until Friday. :argh:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 1, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

incogneato posted:

I guess I'll be looking out for these on sale during Black Friday, since I am in the same boat as the person you're responding to. Do the recommendations change if it's a fairly bright room with a large window? We moved and now our TV is ~11-12' away from the sofa. Our old 48" TV isn't really ideal for our new setup. I know nothing about TVs. Usage is mostly just Netflix/Youtube, so picture quality doesn't have to be top of the top. Just decent.

Based on some online calculators, it looks like 11-12' away warrants an 85"+ TV. Hopefully 75" will cut it, because I'm not sure we can justify the price jump from 75 to 85.

Honestly, Amazon and BB have the TCL 6 75" for $1300, which Camelcamelcamel says is a slightly lower price than the past year. Is it even worth waiting for bigger sales?

After Black Friday, you probably won't see anything as good until the Superbowl, and random clearance sales after that. At least, that's the traditional pattern.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mister Facetious posted:

After Black Friday, you probably won't see anything as good until the Superbowl, and random clearance sales after that. At least, that's the traditional pattern.

Thanks, that's good to know. Part of what I was wondering is whether $1300 for that 75" TCL 6 is even a "sale" at all. Hard to tell based on this past year's prices, which appear to have been all over the place.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Between BF and Mid Jan, then Super Sunday +/- 2 weeks is when I check Costco for returns.

My parents got a 50" TCL for like $110 last year.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Taima posted:

I've been working in simulating the exact arcade files of a game released this year called Sound Voltex: Exceed Gear.

When I first read your initial post I thought "weird screen orientations? I bet this is about SDVX" but then "wait it wouldn't be upside down though and that's insanely niche so no way it's that you dummy" so I'm pretty pumped I somehow guessed it right lol (personally I just run it 1080x1920 or 768x1024 I forget which it is with black bars on either side of the screen)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

garfield hentai posted:

When I first read your initial post I thought "weird screen orientations? I bet this is about SDVX" but then "wait it wouldn't be upside down though and that's insanely niche so no way it's that you dummy" so I'm pretty pumped I somehow guessed it right lol (personally I just run it 1080x1920 or 768x1024 I forget which it is with black bars on either side of the screen)

:cheers: Hah, smart man! Wait, so you run Exceed Gear specifically with black bars? It may be because I'm messing around with HDMI 2.1, which has its own set of issues and concerns, but I couldn't get it to run at literally anything but the standard aspect ratio and the monitor has to be in portrait mode or it crashes.

I'm surprised your mind went there so quickly because I never hear anyone talk about SDVX. I hadn't heard of it myself until a month ago when I saw a youtube video and immediately loved it and ordered the controller. I've still never even played the game, actually. Controller should be here in 1-3 days though!

KS posted:

Well that's pretty loving cool and thanks for writing it up.

A few thoughts:
The NVIDIA control panel has a "rotate display" function that will likely do what you need but I'm guessing you want to be able to use other sources. I'd be interested in measuring the latency of NVIDIA's version vs. LG's method. I could see it adding a frame of latency.

I own an X4400 and believe your receiver can do what you want. Look at Settings --> Inputs --> Input Assign. You'd run DAC --> Receiver and assign one of your inputs to use HDMI X + OPT Y.

You can also do manual audio latency adjustments on the receiver in Settings --> Audio --> Audio Delay.

Ok great thank you, I have faith in your assessment so I ordered the parts and they'll be here tomorrow.

My service remote came in today and I turned on mirror mode. Unfortunately (I'm feeling pretty dumb right now for not understanding this) it's an actual MIRROR. MODE. As in, it not only flipped the image over, it flipped it so it reads in the opposite direction horizontally as well.

So... that's a complete fail. The reality is I'll probably have to give up on getting the TV to orient upside down on a software level and will instead have to rely on the PC/consoles themselves to do that.

At least having a service remote is cool. That thing is pretty powerful, you can brick your TV in about 100 different ways if you're not careful. I think you can even turn off the auto brightness limiter and stuff like that :aaa:

Unfortunately it appears that only Windows has support for flipping the screen (no luck on Switch or PS5, but if anyone knows how to do that in the console software let me know). It's not a huge deal; it just means that some of my console games will have to be played about 8-10 inches above the ideal height. Kind of a first world problem if you ask me.

Thanks for the help yall.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 2, 2021

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Taima posted:

:cheers: Hah, smart man! Wait, so you run Exceed Gear specifically with black bars? It may be because I'm messing around with HDMI 2.1, which has its own set of issues and concerns, but I couldn't get it to run at literally anything but the standard aspect ratio and the monitor has to be in portrait mode or it crashes.

I'm surprised your mind went there so quickly because I never hear anyone talk about SDVX. I hadn't heard of it myself until a month ago when I saw a youtube video and immediately loved it and ordered the controller. I've still never even played the game, actually. Controller should be here in 1-3 days though!

I've been wanting an OLED for a while but the ability to play IIDX at 120hz is actually what pushed me over the edge. It's been a bit since I played with the last one being Heavenly Haven (back heavy into IIDX and shifting between them trips my muscle memory up) but IIRC setting a custom resolution in the NVidia control panel is what did the trick - V and up are 1080p so you'd create a custom res of 1080x1920x60hz (or 120hz if Valk mode). There's also the possibility this doesn't work anymore for whatever reason so don't get your hopes up but hopefully at least something to try out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh ok fair enough! The game itself is working flawlessly at 120hz and I have the portrait mount 98% figured out so I'm good, I was just curious how you managed to do it. That's a cool implementation.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thread title was recently changed. C'mon guy, just change it to : RTINGS.com

codo27 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 2, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Taima posted:

Oh ok fair enough! The game itself is working flawlessly at 120hz and I have the portrait mount 98% figured out so I'm good, I was just curious how you managed to do it. That's a cool implementation.

Thanks for sharing all of that info btw. And to think you almost robbed the thread of it all!

Elsewise I would not have discovered how loving insane that game is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbkaP2SV34&t=3945s

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
If anyone wants to talk more about SDVX or any similar games, there's a thread in the Games forum with an associated Discord channel (title's IIDX but it's really just general rhythm game discussion). The fanbase for these games can tend to bring out some of the worst of the "anime convention" types so I think it's cool to have a little goon group here full of laid back people.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2524210

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol and I thought guitar hero was a little crazy when you go the higher difficulties. Jfc

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for sharing all of that info btw. And to think you almost robbed the thread of it all!

Elsewise I would not have discovered how loving insane that game is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbkaP2SV34&t=3945s

I'm really happy that people enjoyed the writeup ^_^

They just released a new SDVX song today (or yesterday?) and it is just keeps getting more nuts as you go through, I was laughing pretty hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44hTjqTK_JA

My controller is stuck in customs hell and it's ruining my life.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That looks like the most anime possible way way to give yourself RSI.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah probably! It should be noted that most people are not doing 19+ difficulties like these videos. Sound Voltex is something of an anomaly in the bemani rhythm genre in that it has lots of lower difficulty content and very slowly eases you into harder stuff. It's one of the easiest rhythm games to get into for that reason, and most content isn't going to ruin your hands/wrists in the same way.

You could stay in the lower difficulties and still play different songs every time. My simulated Exceed Gear cabinet has over 1,500 songs, which is kinda nuts but every new cabinet just builds the song list on top of each other. It must be a complete nightmare to manage the licenses.

Anyways you are absolutely right, at the highest levels hand and wrist injuries are unfortunately fairly common.

Getting into SDVX is my attempt to keep my reflexes up as I get old af (I'm 35). The genre has had a pretty big revolution recently as it's finally transitioning to 120 fps. So much easier on the eyes and the lower system latency is great. There arguably hasn't been a better time to get into rhythm games as a whole.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

incogneato posted:

Best Buy has their Black Friday guarantee on that tv so if it drops in price on BF they will match the price. Something to consider.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Just a quick heads up that Costco has started carrying the Denon S760h for $449. This is a pretty great receiver that has been upgraded with 3x full HDMI 2.1 ports.

It's still a budget receiver, and the price reflects that, but if you have a 7.2 or less setup and want HDMI 2.1, and aren't running super demanding speakers, this receiver is extremely fully featured for the price.

A lot of receivers that claim to support HDMI 2.1 on the box actually do NOT, so if you're in the market, be careful and do your research.

https://www.costco.com/denon-avr-s760h-7.2ch-8k-av-receiver.product.100774339.html

If there's a better option for a budget HDMI 2.1 receiver I am not aware of it.

Enos Cabell posted:

Several of us in the thread have had that receiver for a little while now. It's been working fantastically for me, much like the s730 that it replaced did.

Oops sorry if this is well known ^_^ was news to me!

I grabbed one today :)

e: omg it sets up your wifi via your Apple phone that is amazing. Oh and the LG magic remote works with the receiver menus drat. I had just absentmindedly picked it up out of habit and was using it to go through the setup before realizing I wasn't even using the receiver remote.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 3, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Several of us in the thread have had that receiver for a little while now. It's been working fantastically for me, much like the s730 that it replaced did.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" Samsung QLED $848 shipped from Amazon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Taima posted:

Oops sorry if this is well known ^_^ was news to me!

I grabbed one today :)

e: omg it sets up your wifi via your Apple phone that is amazing. Oh and the LG magic remote works with the receiver menus drat. I had just absentmindedly picked it up out of habit and was using it to go through the setup before realizing I wasn't even using the receiver remote.

Hah no worries at all, sorry if my post came across that way. It really is a pretty fantastic little receiver, more people that hear about it the better!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I repaired my tv today. I had a Vizio 4k 65" from a few years ago. Recently it wouldn't turn on, power LED would come on then slowly fade, no backlight. I used a multimeter to figure out that it probably wasn't the power supply board, so I rolled the dice on an ebay replacement mainboard for ~$140. Swapped the board today and it fired right up! I'm not an especially capable person so I guess take this post as encouragement to NOT immediately cart a dead TV off to the dump, which was plan A but I don't have a pickup.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ihop posted:

I repaired my tv today. I had a Vizio 4k 65" from a few years ago. Recently it wouldn't turn on, power LED would come on then slowly fade, no backlight. I used a multimeter to figure out that it probably wasn't the power supply board, so I rolled the dice on an ebay replacement mainboard for ~$140. Swapped the board today and it fired right up! I'm not an especially capable person so I guess take this post as encouragement to NOT immediately cart a dead TV off to the dump, which was plan A but I don't have a pickup.

Nice work! Fixing tv's is incredibly easy. I've fixed several Panasonic Plasma's and most recently an LG OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, as long as it's not the panel or a backlight, TVs are pretty easy to repair. I swapped out a power board on my 65" X900e and it took all of 15 minutes and didn't even have to take it off the stand.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

KS posted:

Just to close the loop on this, I bought a 25 foot optical cable on your rec, and... uh... didn't end up needing it but I really appreciate the guidance.

I got a 4k/120 receiver yesterday night and for whatever reason the internals pipe the audio just fine?! So problem solved I guess. The entire thing runs flawlessly through HDMI 2.1 now, which is a big relief as it was another cable that I would need to run to the other side of the room.

I also ordered a 30 foot HDMI 2.1 optical cable (one of the few that seemed to actually work, according to Amazon review, fingers crossed) and drat they are pretty pricey. It also appears that most don't actually work, so the market itself is something of a minefield. However currently I need to run the cable across the room on the floor, as the longest working cable I could find when 2.1 support came out for the 3080/3090 was only 16 feet, so it would be a huge quality of life improvement to route the cable on the wall so there's no risk of tripping or whatever.

Anyways I think this project is officially closed out, as the controller is arriving tomorrow and everything on a technical level is working 100% perfectly. Really appreciate yall's guidance and thoughts on the process. Garf, I even used your nvidia control panel resolution advice to help a friend with a landscape setup.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 6, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey goons, I'm looking to replace my main family room TV (2012ish 60" LG Plasma) that doesn't get direct sunlight but does get light into the room. Based on its size I want to go bigger and think I can go at least as much as 80".

I've had a really good year and willing to spend more than I normally would, but not terribly interested in diving deep into research at this time. If I'm looking to buy the Cadillac right now, what should I be getting given the limited context I've given so far? My friend tells me the 77" LG OLED is the slam dunk, but was quiet on a specific model and know that can be a big difference.

I'll be building a new home theater around it, so no need to mention that stuff. Usage is primarily an AppleTV, a Switch, and occasionally casting my Oculus via a chrome cast.

I'm sure you need a budget, but let's start with $4k at the highest end? The way too expensive next gen that has no content for it yet is not something I'm interested in.

Appreciate any input that will shorten my search and to keep my eyes open for around Black Friday. Model numbers are helpful when relevant! Thanks!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah a C1 77 inch would be cool.

I mean, do you value deeper black or better HDR/ peak brightness? Is burn in a concern?

The 77 inch OLEDs have come down in price a lot in the last year or two. You'll be paying between ~$2750-$2900 currently for a 77 inch C1. Less if you can find a CX closeout. However the new LG models would theoretically be releasing in a few months, so that's something you might want to consider waiting for if you aren't in a hurry. It shouldn't be a huge concern though; OLED is a fairly mature tech and the year on year updates are not as huge as they once were.

However, for example there's a decent chance that the C2 will have the EVO panel which has higher peak brightness than the C1 (you can currently only get that panel on the premium G1 I believe).

If you expect to be watching with sunlight a lot and like blinding HDR and don't want to worry about burn in, you can get an 85 inch QN90A for slightly more (looks like around $3300) and that would be a substantially larger set than the 77.

So yeah it just depends on what you value but I would probably go with one of those two.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for the quick reply! I actually need to do some introspection to find out which of those things I care about. But you've given me very direct feedback once I sort it out. I'd hope burn in isn't a problem as we won't be leaving it on unless watching it. Although my basement plasma got DENON burned in when a kid left it on so 🤷‍♂️.

I've been out of the game so long I don't even know much about HDR other than that my tvs don't have it.

Are there any variations of the model numbers you provided or if I stick to those I should be safely getting the correct set?

Thanks!