Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Nonsense posted:

Virginia is a greater disaster and likely the harbinger of things to come. A literal blue state made Red.

Come on with the doom posting dude, it's annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Trazz posted:

Makes me wonder who the GOP will run against Newsom next year

Chris Pratt

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trazz posted:

Is California the only state to figure out that we need to completely purge the GOP?

Well the GOP pissed off the entire Hispanic vote in California in an effort to improve short term results and it turns out that was a growth demographic.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Trazz posted:

Doesn't matter. They won't win.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Trazz posted:

Is California the only state to figure out that we need to completely purge the GOP?

Last I checked the GOP is so nonexistant in Washington they have to flee the state with white militia dipshits in Idaho to have any way of stopping policy

If only more state Dem machines could make the GOP a joke like that :allears:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

does anyone know of a comprehensive(ish) list of school board results? yes i realize how tedious that would be to make.

i ask because i just saw this: https://patch.com/connecticut/guilford/guilford-election-results-2021-polls-close-votes-being-counted

and i'm now curious how this has played out across the country. according to the KC Star early results seem to indicate that the psychos have failed in suburban kc

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Judakel posted:

Doesn't matter. They won't win.

Still I'm curious

Will they try to "moderate" or will they continue to run another Trumpist?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Damnit my local school board flipped to the conservative majority.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Trazz posted:

Still I'm curious

Will they try to "moderate" or will they continue to run another Trumpist?

I don't think it would be terribly indicative of anything, the conservative movement and the Republican party have CA as the cause of all the world's ills. If someone with an R beside their name put their name on the ballot, they'd almost be a third party with as much as they'd have to have in common with the national party.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TwoQuestions posted:

I don't think it would be terribly indicative of anything, the conservative movement and the Republican party have CA as the cause of all the world's ills. If someone with an R beside their name put their name on the ballot, they'd almost be a third party with as much as they'd have to have in common with the national party.

Elder was basically as close to a mini-Trump as you can get for a statewide candidate in California and he lost by literally the exact same margin as "respectable moderate businessman who doesn't even advertise he is a Republican" Cox did in 2018. I don't think policies or personality really matter when partisanship is as locked in as it is in places like CA.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trazz posted:

Rob Schneider. And he would get a lot of votes, too.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

^^^^* exactly

I don’t think anyone in this thread is cheering at the fascists winning.

Being happy a bad Dem eats poo poo DOES NOT MEAN being happy that republicans won.

Just like being happy Trump lost did not mean being happy Biden won.

Does this thread understand the difference?

You think that it's "nuanced" to think that wanting to see poo poo Dems lose is not the same thing as wanting Republicans to win. The error in your logic is that one cannot happen without the other. If you'd get out of your bubble, you'd see that for Biden or McAullife to lose is for Republicans to win and all the harm that comes with that. I mean, do you loving hope that your wife falls because you warned her not to walk down the icy road just because it would make you seem right and would teach her a lesson for the future about icy roads and listening to you? What if that lesson is a broken bone or a head injury?

Just so we're clear, I bet that you:

1. Did not vote for Biden in 2020
2. Hoped that Trump would win throughout the night and the morning after
3. Were upset that Biden won
4. Hoped that Youngkin would win tonight
5. Are relieved that Youngkin won

Dicking around with the phrasing does not change anything if the outcome is the same.

If I got any of this wrong, please let me know.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

^^^^* exactly

I don’t think anyone in this thread is cheering at the fascists winning.

Being happy a bad Dem eats poo poo DOES NOT MEAN being happy that republicans won.

Just like being happy Trump lost did not mean being happy Biden won.

Does this thread understand the difference?

"I'm so glad that coin flip didn't land tails - doesn't mean I'm happy it landed heads!" is kind of hollow to me. In 99% of elections it's a binary choice, either the Dem wins or the Republican wins. One of them losing necessarily means the other winning.

Personally, I don't give a poo poo what you want to post about it. But if I was, say, a teacher in a VA school and my life was about to get a fuckload worse by all this poo poo, I'd probably get upset about gloating that the bad dem lost.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Rob Schneider. And he would get a lot of votes, too.

His campaign slogan would be "I can do it!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden should insult Sinema and Manchin and go for some cheap pop to finish out the week.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Austin, Texas also overwhelmingly votes down a referendum to make 2/3 (!?!?!?!?) of their budget dedicated to law enforcement.

Not sure what the organizers of that referendum would even do with that much money if they won. Or what the city would do to make up for all of the money they were already legally obligated to spend without raising taxes.

Dude it was so loving stupid, even the Austin Fire Department was running ads on streaming services against it.

I was really worried after that referendum to make homelessness basically a crime passed last spring, but the Back the Blue initiative went down in flames lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

small butter posted:

You think that it's "nuanced" to think that wanting to see poo poo Dems lose is not the same thing as wanting Republicans to win. The error in your logic is that one cannot happen without the other. If you'd get out of your bubble, you'd see that for Biden or McAullife to lose is for Republicans to win and all the harm that comes with that. I mean, do you loving hope that your wife falls because you warned her not to walk down the icy road just because it would make you seem right and would teach her a lesson for the future about icy roads and listening to you? What if that lesson is a broken bone or a head injury?

Dicking around with the phrasing does not change anything if the outcome is the same.

Is he wrong for these things? No one needs two republican parties. If the democrats can't actually do anything but blame progressives then it's already a one party system. Might as well get ready for more pain in 2022 because Biden is a loving zombie and maybe you can see that now?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

With the election safely decided, Trump's decided to start the gloating. Can't say he's particularly wrong, about Terry's strategy & hopefully that the democrats will find a new schtick. They tried to rope Trump into repelling Virginia independents and his handlers managed to rein him in; if they manage to do the same in 2022, with a heavily neutered BBB bill, it could be a slaughter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is he wrong for these things? No one needs two republican parties. If the democrats can't actually do anything but blame progressives then it's already a one party system. Might as well get ready for more pain in 2022 because Biden is a loving zombie and maybe you can see that now?

At the moment, the progressives are heroes for standing their ground on the BIP and saving the BBB bill. I have no idea what you're talking about here.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

small butter posted:

why are you so mad at that guy and not at the political party that completely screwed the pooch at every level in a state that went Biden +10 last year? saying you dont care if some Clintonite sleaze who offered nothing but "that other guy's crazy" lives or dies is completely reasonable. maybe interrogate the party who's leadership cannot shut the gently caress up about how the country needs a strong, unified republican party, cuz it looks like theyre getting their wish and then some.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

With the election safely decided, Trump's decided to start the gloating. Can't say he's particularly wrong, about Terry's strategy & hopefully that the democrats will find a new schtick. They tried to rope Trump into repelling Virginia independents and his handlers managed to rein him in; if they manage to do the same in 2022, with a heavily neutered BBB bill, it could be a slaughter.

You do realize this idiot is known Perma-Banned User Donald Trump right? Please stop helping with ban evasion, thank you

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

You didn't have to blame him for the attack, think embassy security was well-handled actually, or approve of the Obama administration or its actions in Libya to learn something about this man that night.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Doctor Teeth posted:

does anyone know of a comprehensive(ish) list of school board results? yes i realize how tedious that would be to make.

i ask because i just saw this: https://patch.com/connecticut/guilford/guilford-election-results-2021-polls-close-votes-being-counted

and i'm now curious how this has played out across the country. according to the KC Star early results seem to indicate that the psychos have failed in suburban kc

I'm not aware of any national-level outlets that cover every school board election. Ballotpedia will likely have results of the bigger ones up tonight or tomorrow morning, though. I know some of the Colorado races were getting pretty intense.

Deteriorata posted:

At the moment, the progressives are heroes for standing their ground on the BIP and saving the BBB bill. I have no idea what you're talking about here.

It's probably a sign of how thoroughly my brain is broken that I read that as Bachelors in Paradise.

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

Doctor Teeth posted:

Reporting from Thiensville, Wisconsin, home of this bullshit: https://www.wisn.com/article/mequon-thiensville-school-board-recall-election-national-attention/38126796

...which my literal neighbor spearheaded, egged on by nonstop AM talk radio bullshit. That's been fun.

My two reputable sources tell me that the RESTORE crew (i.e., the sensible board that was recalled by the REPLACE assholes, who were paid for by Chicago Libertarian billionaires and spouted CRT-inspired racist bullshit) won by ~60/40 margins. I will confirm tomorrow.

Some context on our district: we are incredibly 1) old, and 2) rich, but we are also trending purple: Thiensville went for Trump by something like 1 vote, and Mequon was not too far behind. This is a far cry from the M-T of old (heh), which has gone dead-red for decades. In addition to CRT, the REPLACE camp threw against the wall: masks; standardized test performance; LIBERALS, seemingly to no avail.

So, some good news from tonight.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

volts5000 posted:

"Great news! My piece of poo poo car burst into flames, so my insurance is going to cover the cost of a new one! It was a shame my grandpa was in it, but hey! NEW CAR!"

Being happy that a bad Dem ate poo poo would be good if that didn't mean a fascist won as a result. If the bad Dem ate poo poo and nothing else happened as a result, then sure, throw a parade in the streets, but this has long-term negative consequences for millions of people.

This isn't about nuance or grey areas. A fascist that was able to keep the mask on better than most Republicans just got elected. I'd be happy if the bad Dem ate poo poo in the primary, but not in the general. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

small butter posted:

Hellblazer187 posted:

"I'm so glad that coin flip didn't land tails - doesn't mean I'm happy it landed heads!" is kind of hollow to me. In 99% of elections it's a binary choice, either the Dem wins or the Republican wins. One of them losing necessarily means the other winning.

Personally, I don't give a poo poo what you want to post about it. But if I was, say, a teacher in a VA school and my life was about to get a fuckload worse by all this poo poo, I'd probably get upset about gloating that the bad dem lost.

These posts have a lot of words that do zero reflection on the failure of the Dem party to run a candidate that would energize people to voting for policies that would benefit their community.

So much gnashing at the teeth for a guy who’s only campaign strategy was “I’m not Trump.”

Newsflash: peoples lives get worse whether a bad Dem or a Republican is elected because they are functionally identical for meaningful things like healthcare. A family member of mine is dead thanks to the inaction of the democrats on healthcare. Spare me your outrage and lectures about harm reduction. This loss is on the Democratic Party and you blaming me for laughing at their hubris isn’t going to suddenly make the Dems a winning party with ideas the public with find worth voting for.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This are a lot of posts with a lot of words that do zero reflection on the failure of the Dem party to run a candidate that would energize people to voting for policies that would benefit their community.

So much gnashing at the teeth for a guy who’s only campaign strategy was “I’m not Trump.”

Newsflash: peoples lives get worse whether a bad Dem or a Republican is elected because they are functionally identical for meaningful things like healthcare. A family member of mine is dead thanks to the inaction of the democrats on healthcare. Spare me your outrage and lectures about harm reduction. This loss is on the Democratic Party and you blaming me for laughing at their hubris isn’t going to suddenly make the Dems a winning party with ideas the public with find worth voting for.

Except that in Virginia people's lives objectively got better under the bad Dems. How much better is arguable but it did get better.

Life will not get better at all under Republicans. Them winning is not, in any way, good. No not even as a lesson to the establishment or whatever.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think the basic takeaway is that the left’s alliance with the Dems is over, or ought to be. The Dems are a center-right party in their foundations, they cannot and will not govern any other way, and will lose and go down with the ship rather than do so

In re Virginia, they did do some very mildly progressive things (but nothing for labor) but then ran away from it in the campaign

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 3, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

icantfindaname posted:

I think the basic takeaway is that the left’s alliance with the Dems is over, or ought to be. The Dems are a center-right party in their foundations, they cannot and will not govern any other way, and will lose and go down with the ship rather than do so

There is no left in the USA.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

These posts have a lot of words that do zero reflection on the failure of the Dem party to run a candidate that would energize people to voting for policies that would benefit their community.

So you were praying for a Youngkin win just like I predicted?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kirios posted:

Replacing the Minnesota police force measure also failed today. It's kind of a big bummer.

As someone from Minneapolis, don't worry, that change wouldn't have actually done much anyways. It would have just shuffled MPD to a different umbrella and adjust the org chart slightly. But I gotta say, the group behind that measure (Yes 4 Minneapolis) did a drat good job at raising a bunch of money/fame on a national level at our expense...

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

hmm yes one side wants to ban abortion and kill trans people and the other doesn't, clearly both sides are equally bad. I'm glad electing fascists has so little effect on your life that you feel comfortable with it, how unfortunate that the same can't be said for all of us.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

small butter posted:

So you were praying for a Youngkin win just like I predicted?

Omigod, can we stop with this reductive bullshit, please?

They said nothing about wanting Youngkin to win, and you're only proving the point made about ignoring the reasons for losses.

edit: If people are worried about the consequences of Republicans beating Democrats, then it would make sense to pay some loving attention as to why that's happening, a year after Democratic wins across the country (and because of many counties switching from D to R tonight).

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

small butter posted:

I'm a moron and I've never seen anybody miss a point so badly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How badly did the Dems get slaughtered this year?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Except that in Virginia people's lives objectively got better under the bad Dems. How much better is arguable but it did get better.

Life will not get better at all under Republicans. Them winning is not, in any way, good. No not even as a lesson to the establishment or whatever.

Voting is not a hostage situation or an abusive partner promising to change if we take them back.

Either the political party offers a clear reason to stick with them or they don’t. Blaming the voters is disgusting and downright heinous. Put the blame where it belongs: the Democratic Party.

Again, bolding this time, a number of peoples lives don’t improve under a bad Dem or a Republican. They just stay bad.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 3, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

There is no left in the USA.

Very true. I should have said that anyone who thinks of themselves as ‘left’ should understand the Dems will never ever be a viable means to enact their political program

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1455746579047006208?s=20

Tonight looking like a very mixed bag

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zeron posted:

hmm yes one side wants to ban abortion and kill trans people and the other doesn't, clearly both sides are equally bad. I'm glad electing fascists has so little effect on your life that you feel comfortable with it, how unfortunate that the same can't be said for all of us.

It's deeply ironic to me that in 2020 despite all our accomplishments as humanity we can't tell the difference between two political parties even the former Republican President said there were good people on both sides in Charlottesville.

And the other side is literal Nazis! :hitler:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 3, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The fact that "the Dems did nothing" is being used as an argument in a state like VA where they actually did a ton shows how hollow that argument really is. It doesn't matter what the Dems actually do they will just get hated on, it's similar to the usual "the Dems should do this, oh wait they have been? Well I didn't hear about it from my media bubble so they did it wrong'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

icantfindaname posted:

Very true. I should have said that anyone who thinks of themselves as ‘left’ should understand the Dems will never ever be a viable means to enact their political program

Correct. Thank you.