Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Even at low levels and early game, I'm finding the tactical engagement in Troubleshooter is fairly fun. Right now, I have a wind-element sword guy and a lightning mage. I've set up the sword guy so he gets attacks of opportunity on moving enemies and counter-attacks, but he also has a wind blast spell that knocks enemies back.

There's an enemy mage who casts an explode-on-death fire buff, which hits REALLY hard. Significant damage, inflicts a burning DoT debuff, knocks people away (I think a 3 square radius, which can easily mean 4-5 people). However, that explosion goes off AFTER the wind push, so I can turn baddies into grenades if I line things up right. It is a great shame that the buff seems to also reduce fire damage, otherwise the chained explosions could probably wipe out a whole enemy team. It's really nice that I have multiple angles to consider with Albus even at the beginning of the game.

Meanwhile, the electro guy has a chaining electric blast, a single-target lightning from above that can leave a DoT debuff behind, and can build up combo meter towards an enormous lightning storm AoE. Positioning of enemies can be even more important to him, because the chain lightning arcs have relatively limited range. Still, if you can push a guy into position with Albus and then fry a whole squad, it feels amazing.

Not gonna advance the story until my buddy is free on Thursday (Just met Heixing, helped the cops shoot a bunch of dogs, saved some civilians who really ought to have just left those dogs alone), but so far this is giving me a lot of what I liked in Arknights. I put that game away after a while because I found the writing of the antagonists really frustrating, but it seems we've established a decently dystopian setting on-screen, and I feel that the writers could take Troubleshooter some really neat places! I really hope that Dandylion gets the chance to continue this series, it's kinda nuts that they're still patching and adding new content on the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i didn't realise phantasy star 4 was going to have this much of a constantly revolving party layout. i didn't even get to use Demi's ultimate attack once before she was outta there!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

i didn't realise phantasy star 4 was going to have this much of a constantly revolving party layout. i didn't even get to use Demi's ultimate attack once before she was outta there!

Yeah, PS4 isn't afraid to regularly give you new party members. It's also not afraid to "pull a Grandia 2" as I like to call it after another JRPG who also was unafraid to off an important character completely!

(Most of PS4-characters at least get to leave your party alive!)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm wrapping up trophies in tales of graces and hooo boy grinding that eleth mixer to 9999 :shepicide:

game is still a lot of fun though, been playing on evil mostly

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Thuryl posted:

You can check the quest list for which ones you have yet to find, too. I now have all of them except the goddamn kimchi flavour, which I've narrowed down to one or two dungeons based on its place on the list but I got tired of searching for it and am probably going to wait until somebody posts a guide.

If you're still looking for that, it's located at the eastern Cemetary map at X:19 Y:15

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I was wondering how folks were playing Undernauts cause I couldn't see it on the nintendo store.

It was very quietly delayed to 2022 in Europe
https://twitter.com/NumskullGames/status/1453762488240119810?t=HF5SkLU5S442DKoHpV11iQ&s=19

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol 90's Nintendo poo poo

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Random question: What's your favorite RPG romance?

I'm going to have to go with Hiro x Lucia from Lunar: Eternal Blue

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yuri and Alice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol 90's Nintendo poo poo

and 2000s Nintendo poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

harry and kim kitsuragi

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Snooze Cruise posted:

harry and kim kitsuragi

:kimchi:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hix and Tengaar in the first two Suikodens always amused me for some reason. I'm not sure that I have a legit non-jokey answer though

unless,

Snooze Cruise posted:

harry and kim kitsuragi

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm almost certain that one is in the graveyard forest zone somewhere. If I had to hazard a guess, it's the one that's not REALLY in a dead end, laying in a puddle of water in I think one of the actual saint gravestone areas? I remember that one being kind of a gotcha since the game teaches you the things are in suspicious dead ends but in this case the suspicious thing is an incongruous wet tile.

In regards to promotion, I didn't think it'd take so long to get a second one so I promoted my fencer MC to comp.fencer first so I could get an AoE melee attack since it was lacking from my party. It's not like he's BAD but I wish I had given it to my Cleric instead so I could have a stronger party buff.

Alard posted:

If you're still looking for that, it's located at the eastern Cemetary map at X:19 Y:15

Thanks to both of you. If I'd been more alert on my first go-through of that area I might have noticed it, but it would have been pretty low on my list of places to recheck.

In return for your help I will blather about the party I'm running at the moment:

Spec. Tactician, Blue-Collar. Stat investment STR/CON in about a 2:1 ratio. Hits one enemy hard with a big weapon and then sometimes hits them again. Very simple and effective. Can have accuracy problems despite passive accuracy boost; I've been avoiding heavy armour pieces that come with harsh accuracy penalties, since there are usually other options that are almost as good.

Comp. Fighter, Athletic. Stat investment roughly equal in STR/CON/SPD. Maxed out on passive evasion boosts, almost never gets hit. Good single-target and AoE options: not my heaviest hitter against bosses, but reliable. Limited weapon options can be an issue if you have bad luck with drops.

Spec. Ninja, Vagabond. Equal investment in STR/CON/SPD/LCK. Slurps up all the luck boost items I find. Hits a million times per turn with a chance of instant death on each hit. Fun.

Comp. Hunter, Athletic. STR/CON 2:1 like my tactician. Basically a support character who can also dish out decent damage and occasional status effects with shuriken.

Spec. Cleric, Creative. WIS/CON 2:1. Healbot and Adroitness caster. Not the most exciting character, but heals are cheap and super strong in this game.

Spec. Sorceress, White-Collar. INT/CON 2:1. Raises the party's ailment resistance and then makes things explode.

Since I don't have an actual tank, I've compensated by raising CON more than I normally would on everyone, which is working out okay so far. This game doesn't seem to have stat caps like other Experience games do (or at least, I haven't hit them yet), so you can go ahead and throw all your stat boosters on whoever benefits most from them.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 3, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am so boring Bulwark Tactician Fighter Cleric Sorcerer Hunter. Im probably going yo try and make my bulwark an evasion tank in the end game if thats viable but for now I live by the Shield Bash die by the Shield Bash.

I'm really enjoying Undernauts and I hope its successful. I also would like it if we got more of these style games from the big boys *cough*Doom RPG 3 when*cough* but I'll take this

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Junpei posted:

I try or stuff that interests me. I didn't actually like Divinity: Original Sin 2 all the much, though I made it through 2 play-throughs as Sebille/Red Prince and Red Prince/Sebille lone wolves just so I could romance them. The lead ups and partially through the culminations were actually heartwarming, with some neat stuff from the Prince. Of course, it all still falls apart at the Prince's last city quest and NPC ending because I get the feeling they really had no idea where to go with him and/or ran out of time, so it's the same every time for everyone., plus the game generally feels like I'm playing with That Guy for a GM, and there's a lot of mean-spirited poo poo throughout.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I think my single favourite thing about Undernauts is that it gives you actual numbers on skills and equipment in a comprehensible format, so you can tell that using an inappropriate weapon type against a monster normally does 50-75% damage, or that upgrading your big damage skill by one skill level will make it 15% stronger. More RPGs should do this. Looking at you, Etrian Odyssey.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a pretty widespread design philosophy that says that players are scared away by numbers so you should show them as few numbers as possible. Personally I hate it but it's industry wisdom at this point.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
voice of cards has so far been exactly what i wanted (a simple straightforward adventure) but i really wish that skills involving dice rolls had a little icon or something that tells you what kind of die is being rolled

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

There's a pretty widespread design philosophy that says that players are scared away by numbers so you should show them as few numbers as possible. Personally I hate it but it's industry wisdom at this point.

There are probably players for whom that's true but I feel like there are a lot fewer of them among old-school dungeon crawler nerds

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Or at least good sensible abstractions (the equipment screens in Etrian Odyssey 3 through 2U are horrible with telling you how strong you actually are beyond "you got stronger.") if they're averse to numbers which some RPGs at least have the courtesy to give. Skills in EO don't even do that, just telling you what they do and leave you to puzzle out things for yourself.

It's actually kind of ridiculous in the Persona Qs where the power of the skills is actually the amount of damage they do on neutral playing fields (same attack and defense stats, no resistances or weaknesses), which is probably a simple way to tell power without drowning players in number vomit and yet the abstract descriptions in-game...

quote:

Hassou Tobi: 8 medium Cut attacks against random targets. (All enemies)
-Deals 60 damage per hit, which totals up to 480 damage.
Danse Macabre: 5-7 medium Cut attacks against random targets. (All enemies)
-Deals 80 damage per hit here, which ranges to a total of 480 to 560 damage.
Myriad Arrows: 6-8 light Stab attacks at random, with low accuracy. (All enemies)
-Deals 82 damage per hit, which ranges to a total of 492 to 656 damage.

Do the exact opposite. That's just straight up wrong no matter which way you look at it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm personally running Fencer/Bulwark/Ninja/Hunter/Cleric/Sorcerer. It's working out alright though I'm underwhelmed by my Hunter so far. Maybe once I can upgrade her to Comp.Hunter she'll be able to do more but as it stands she just spams Bullseye and occasionally does the formation fixing whistle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thuryl posted:

There are probably players for whom that's true but I feel like there are a lot fewer of them among old-school dungeon crawler nerds

Yeah it feels like anyone who is scared away by numbers is probably going to run away screaming in terror from an old school first person dungeon crawler at this point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this seems like the type of thing you should make a menu option or something if you are afraid of scaring away players

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

Well, I guess they're right. Disgaea is a pretty niche series and they're not scared to go above a million and not even as a cutscene final attack that's supposed to be super cool, like Tellah dropping a Meteor on Golbez for the 9999 damage cap.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

My team in Undernauts is Fencer, Bulwark, Fighter, Hunter, Cleric, Sorcerer.

Up until I hit the level where the Spec Fencer's signature was unlocked I had them as a Comp Fencer for access to Cyclone Strike, and my Fighter was a Tactician but they felt like they weren't really contributing much so when it came time to promote I just made them a Fighter instead. The Hunter has probably been my big MVP character thanks to spamming their big multi-hit attack + having them dual-wield Confusion inflicting thrown weapons, though I've been impressed at how it isn't a big hassle to get good damage out of a Sorcerer in this game like I remember it being in Strangers of Sword City Revisited.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That being said I can understand why numbers wouldn't be given out in some cases, cause they wouldn't help at all unless you knew the incredibly bizarre math formulas they're used in, or that revealing them would hurt more than help because doing so would require drowning the player in number vomit to even give a small idea of how a skill works, where it would be far more simple to just give an abstract description of its strength.

Revenge from Etrian Odyssey Untold comes to mind here, even if you knew the skill power, that info would be completely useless unless you knew about the complex formula it gets used in. Can't even use it as a comparison point to other skill numbers because its mechanics are entirely different.

Course unless the entire game was designed that way (there are RPGs like that out there mind you), cases like that tends to be the exception more than the norm, so I'm not entirely defending it. Just understanding why in some cases it's really inadvisable to outright give out the numbers and that philosophy is proven completely right.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For some reason I'm reminded of Crimson Shroud, that dice-based 3DS RPG where you rolled dice on the bottom screen for attacks and thus the numbers were... well, not 'clear' but you at least knew that an attack rolled a D6, a D10 and D20 and added them which gave you an idea of it's range.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im extremely pro having a toggle to swap between a flavorful description of a skill and a hard number explanation of how it works. If you can only do one always give me the actual numbers because without it I will 100% accidentally pick the inferior move.

I hope undernauts keeps its quality through to the end cause Im real happy with it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Araxxor posted:

That being said I can understand why numbers wouldn't be given out in some cases, cause they wouldn't help at all unless you knew the incredibly bizarre math formulas they're used in, or that revealing them would hurt more than help because doing so would require drowning the player in number vomit to even give a small idea of how a skill works, where it would be far more simple to just give an abstract description of its strength.

Revenge from Etrian Odyssey Untold comes to mind here, even if you knew the skill power, that info would be completely useless unless you knew about the complex formula it gets used in. Can't even use it as a comparison point to other skill numbers because its mechanics are entirely different.

Course unless the entire game was designed that way (there are RPGs like that out there mind you), cases like that tends to be the exception more than the norm, so I'm not entirely defending it. Just understanding why in some cases it's really inadvisable to outright give out the numbers and that philosophy is proven completely right.

If your damage formula is too complicated to explain, that's a problem in itself.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
What are the hottest modern JRPGs these days? I quit following them altogether after a failed run at Tales of Symphonia many years ago, but DQ11 has shown that I might actually enjoy them now. I love the script, and the generally player-friendly design - tight maps, mega fast & nonrandom battles, short quests, forgiving gear and stat balance, etc. Is there anything else like it on PC or Switch? DQ11 is such a thoughtful and special game that I'm afraid it's spoiled me.

Some features I'd like to avoid:
-grinding for items or levels
-heavy number crunching/min-maxing
-looking at wikis

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I bet there are still a lot of designers that believe that obfuscation of numbers is part of the "challenge" players must overcome. I also wonder if there's a worry that surfacing the math breaks immersion and causes players will treat your game like a spreadsheet

For me the golden standard are Paradox map games which display the simple number on the surface UI, but you hover your cursor over it and all the crunchy math is displayed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

beer gas canister posted:

What are the hottest modern JRPGs these days? I quit following them altogether after a failed run at Tales of Symphonia many years ago, but DQ11 has shown that I might actually enjoy them now. I love the script, and the generally player-friendly design - tight maps, mega fast & nonrandom battles, short quests, forgiving gear and stat balance, etc. Is there anything else like it on PC or Switch? DQ11 is such a thoughtful and special game that I'm afraid it's spoiled me.

-looking at wikis

none of those things have been common since uh

the NES, I think?

so just about any modern JRPG should be good for you

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

If your damage formula is too complicated to explain, that's a problem in itself.

Not particularly unless it affects the front end horribly. Lots of games have weirdass math going on in the background, and most of the time it's not really a major problem. Ultimately it's a way to map out a power curve on the back end. So long as that keeps things moving along, it shouldn't matter too much how it's tackled and it's just one factor out of several for the player experience. What the player actually experiences themselves is what matters in the end.

Like taking the Revenge example from EOU, the damage formula is uh. Well in this case not showing the numbers is justified I would say.

quote:

(((3.5 + (attacker TEC / 80)) * attacker TEC) - ((250 + (defender TEC * 2.5)) * (defender VIT + (defender TEC * 2.5)) / 1000)) * ((((attacker TEC + 5) / (defender TEC + 5)) + 1) / 3) * (Revenge Power 1) * (Difficulty Modifier) * (1 + ((Max HP - Current HP) * [Revenge Power 2] / 10000) * (((((100 - ((Current HP / Max HP) * 100)) / 100) + (((100 - ((Current HP / Max HP) * 100)) / 100) * ((100 - ((Current HP / Max HP) * 100)) / 100))) + 0.02) / 2))

The actual formula is plainly number vomit (and try showcasing this to the player without making their eyes flee in terror), but the actual concept itself is simple. It's a skill that deals more damage the lower the user's HP is and if you're using that strat in this game, you're not really going to need to know much more than that. This version just goes about that in a ridiculously complicated way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You don't actually need to expose the player to ridiculous damage formulas in a tooltip to show useful numbers, you can simply have dynamic tooltips that update based on your status/gear. Hell, you can even have them update when you're targeting an enemy if you want!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm in the mood for a fun throwback-y RPG. Any recommendations?

Skies of Arcadia is sort of the model of what I'm looking for: Relatively simple, throwback plot (remove all the pirate and exploratory stuff, and you've got a pretty standard 16-bit "Evil Empire, mysterious girl looking for McGuffins to save the world" story), humorous and upbeat tone with charming characters (but not necessarily against having somber, downbeat moments).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the formula for Revenge is super insanely complex, but functionally it can be described as an attack whose power increases the less heath the damage the caster has.

beer gas canister posted:

-looking at wikis

As was mentioned above unless you go looking super deep into the hardcore end, all the mainstream big name RPGs are pretty much safe choices. I guess maybe hold off on Shin Megami Tensei V if you've been eyeing that.

If you want a nice short and snappy little thing I'd suggest Cosmic Star Heroine but, really, we'd probably want some more details of what you want since there are just so many choices now a days. Turn based or real time? Story heavy or light? Monster collection or static party?

Junpei posted:

Skies of Arcadia is sort of the model of what I'm looking for: Relatively simple, throwback plot (remove all the pirate and exploratory stuff, and you've got a pretty standard 16-bit "Evil Empire, mysterious girl looking for McGuffins to save the world" story), humorous and upbeat tone with charming characters (but not necessarily against having somber, downbeat moments).

Cosmic Stat Heroine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Junpei posted:

Trials of Mana Remake.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Classic example of that is trying to catch Pokemon.

I already don't even use the Quadratic Formula in my day to day life, I don't wanna see this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why is there a fourth root