Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Canada has more than like, 24 drag queens, it's a selection issue, not a supply issue. Hell there are entire provinces that haven't had a queen on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

If the Willam quote about DRUK being produced in 10 days if true - that’s huge. Imagine having to pull together a new outfit, performance or group challenge every single day. You would be knackered, and I would totally understand why.

Production shenanigans through and through.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

yung lambic posted:

If the Willam quote about DRUK being produced in 10 days if true - that’s huge. Imagine having to pull together a new outfit, performance or group challenge every single day. You would be knackered, and I would totally understand why.

Production shenanigans through and through.

I believe the 10 day rumor was started by Charity and isn’t true. The season is rushed, but not to that extent.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
They definitely sped production up, but 10 days is absolutely impossible unless they filmed multiple episodes at least once.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I like Canada’s Drag Race Season 2 so far. I think that having two acting challenges back-to-back wasn’t great, especially because this last one dragged on for so long. imo the cast is pretty strong; I find more than half of the queens pretty endearing, and the drag comes off as elevated across the board. I’m thinking mostly of Pythia’s two-headed lady, Adriana’s Marie Antoinette, and (personal bias) Stephanie’s Jolibee.

also absolutely everyone this season is either very cute or very hot :allears:

I was just at a parking lot drag brunch today where Scarlett Bobo, Juice Boxx, Lemon, Pythia, and Yovska performed multiple numbers. Pythia did a really fun fortune teller bit where her crystal ball possessed the table and started flying around, which makes me excited to see what other kooky poo poo she does this season. I predict a Crystal Methyd runner-up placement for her

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Pythia seems to be really conceptual, she is kind of giving me Sasha Velour energy.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Nihonniboku posted:

Canada isn't doing much better. They seem to have less of a budget compared to season 1, and the queens are largely forgettable. As someone said earlier, it seems like they may have run out of drag queens in Canada and the UK.

Don't worry. Drag Race being popular has spawned about 8000 new drag queens due to the somewhat recent general acceptance and "look at me" factor.
I can't say they're any good! But there's a lot of them :canada:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizuZero posted:

I like Canada’s Drag Race Season 2 so far. I think that having two acting challenges back-to-back wasn’t great, especially because this last one dragged on for so long. imo the cast is pretty strong; I find more than half of the queens pretty endearing, and the drag comes off as elevated across the board. I’m thinking mostly of Pythia’s two-headed lady, Adriana’s Marie Antoinette, and (personal bias) Stephanie’s Jolibee.

Yeah, I suppose the issue could be that I watch UK and Canada back to back on a Thursday night. By the time I'm through UK, I'm exhausted, and I have to shift my brain to remember an entirely different set of queens. Plus last week's clown challenge was so uncomfortable, and then this week's went on for over 11 minutes, I haven't come out feeling great about the show. Maybe I should leave Canada for Fridays.

MizuZero posted:

also absolutely everyone this season is either very cute or very hot :allears:

Kendal Jenner definitely is a standout in this regard.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just had a theory pop into my head. I think part of what made DRUK S2 so great was that the curveball of COVID hitting midseason prevented them from overproducing things due to having other priorities. In a way, it's one of the most organic seasons of Drag Race ever.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

Just had a theory pop into my head. I think part of what made DRUK S2 so great was that the curveball of COVID hitting midseason prevented them from overproducing things due to having other priorities. In a way, it's one of the most organic seasons of Drag Race ever.

The impact was a double edge sword. On one hand, you had queens like Bimini who realized that they weren't really bringing all they could, and when the show returned, she came back with a new energy (and new outfits maybe?).

On the other hand, you had the loss of Veronica Green due to COVID. And other queens, like Joe Black, had sold their drag due to loss of income during quarantine, meaning she had to resort to buying from H&M.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
She has since deleted the posts, but River Medway was disputing the "filmed in 10 days" rumors on Twitter.

The Wild West challenge theme is back on Dragula tonight....hell yeah!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really liked the clown episode! The musical was awkward, but not excruciating, and there were a lot of interesting payoffs, like Synthia Kiss surprising everyone with really good vocals, but then being totally overshadowed by Kendall's pure showmanship. It was all very medium-stakes, which I prefer to the thumbscrews torture going on in DRUK.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really liked the clown episode! The musical was awkward, but not excruciating, and there were a lot of interesting payoffs, like Synthia Kiss surprising everyone with really good vocals, but then being totally overshadowed by Kendall's pure showmanship. It was all very medium-stakes, which I prefer to the thumbscrews torture going on in DRUK.

yeah i honestly really enjoyed it too! it felt like it had a few wrinkles caused by character, not by production choices. in the big performance of it, when the three clowns ('Bing, Bang and Bong') arrive and do their verse, it's total anarchy. everyone's giving it absolutely everything they've got - but all on slightly different pages - was one of the funnest ways to see an act go down in flames. then the runway had some cool stuff - bearded lady, two-headed woman, Océane being an actual big-top tent.

you're right about it being medium stakes, it's very relaxed and soft compared to Bruiser Ru Paul on UK. Océane also got the dominant workroom emotional story session so it gave her more background than just 'doomed unpolished early boot'.

my main criticism would be that while 'big top' is a natural fit for a brash costumey theme for drag race, 'clowns' sort of isn't - is it a bit much to expect a drag queen to do tumblin' clown routines? i don't know.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I’d have loved to see Ivy Winters in a clown challenge.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I also enjoyed the clown episode. I like when the musicals force them to sing live, especially because the judging tends to punish not committing instead of tunelessness. I also like when the challenges have people legitimately fail and succeed. It makes the judging seem more about the challenge and less about favoritism and storylines.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Time to play my favorite game:

HOW
LATE
WILL
DRAGULA
BE
RELEASED
I
NEED
TO
GO
TO
BED

e: Ooh, only 10 minutes!

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 2, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I saw this thread title on the Dragula sub-reddit and thought Sigourney was fixin' to be canceled for being a diva at viewing party or something, aha.

quote:

Why is Sigourney bullying a weekly event

They are referring to (general spoilers for the season so far) a few of the contestants seeming to really dislike Sigourney.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 2, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

We're Here is now streaming on Crave. :canada:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Drimble Wedge posted:

We're Here is now streaming on Crave. :canada:

sweet, I'm gonna watch, I think after that double elim of my two UK faves I'm burned out on RuPaul. It's also hilarious to me that it's Ru's franchise but BLH looks a million times better every week.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Ep 3 of Dragula was so good! Incredible show.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

DRCAN: Hell no, WAY too early for Snatch Game. They should have waited a few more episodes to give each queen a bit more screen time.

DRUK: This episode was a lot of fun and felt like the show was getting its groove back. Great concept for a ball challenge, and I loved the charity shop leg of it. Also loved Ru asking the queens whose outfit they enjoyed the most.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 5, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

UK: Holy poo poo, Vanity! That lipsync!

Drimble Wedge posted:

DRUK: Also loved Ru asking the queens whose outfit they enjoyed the most.

:unsmith: Yes, please bring this back more.

I thought the thread might enjoy this wholesome-ness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRgiMslEcg

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Read After Burning posted:

UK: Holy poo poo, Vanity! That lipsync!

:unsmith: Yes, please bring this back more.

I thought the thread might enjoy this wholesome-ness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRgiMslEcg

:3: That is so drat cute.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Drimble Wedge posted:

:3: That is so drat cute.

Looks like that was part three....here's parts one and two. :kiddo:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6808626956662295813

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6925884000150031622

I know this kind of stuff can quickly turn into "OMG WHAT A LOW BAR, LET'S ALL PRAISE THE STRAIGHT MAN FOR NOT HATING GAYS", but frankly I always love to see this kinda thing normalized. As a bi lady, I'm so drat tired of "I took the straight guy to the drag show to laugh at how uncomfortable he gets"! I want more "I took the straight guy to the drag show so he can have a fun-rear end time"!

Over the past four years or so, my partner (a straight man) went from "Drag queens? I mean, I guess? Never really thought about it" to loving the art-form just as much as I do. In fact, the other week while watching Dragula, he started complaining because the Boulets had nice outfits but "Basic Bitch plain black high heels on, they can do better!" :P I can't wait to go to our first drag show in San Jose once the covid variants calm down!

The best is seeing his straight male friends go from "confusedly staring at our wall of autographed drag queen photos" to "asking 'Wait, SHE'S a drag queen?!' (Farrah Moan)" to "What's her deal, that looks cool?' (various Dragula artists)". Also, I've learned any random straight man LOVES death-drops/dips, like they're completely fascinated by them.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Wow, the latest episode of the Drag Race UK was what I've been waiting for all along. That was an amazing episode with an amazing challenge. Loved it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

DRUK - how did the producers create the one of the worst episodes of the franchise (Draglexa) and two episodes later make this amazing challenge? Such a great concept and the queens seemed to have genuine fun doing it.

I'm surprised that Krystal wasn't read for her terrible wig line on the second challenge, but was loving how pissed she was getting by none of the other queens liking her outfits, along with her getting mad at being compared to Anubis. Some of Alan Carr's comments about Krystal did read a little weird after her confessional where she admits to not have been sexual at all yet and made me cringe

I'm not mad at Scarlett leaving, Vanity 100% earned that win but it's real hard to see past the rigga morris Krystal is getting.

But gently caress, Vanity........ turned that lipsync out, goddamn that was probably one of the best lipsyncs since Season 9.

DRCAN: Reading Brook will never not get old, but jfc next year they better get Priyanka, or literally anyone else to host

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

DRUK surprisngly good. DRCAN disappointing. Dragula stay winning. Thanks for reading my drag thoughts.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Watched the first episode of We're Here and did a lot of ugly crying but mostly felt horrible for that lady's kid. She just looked so hurt and done while she was in the audience.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

subpar anachronism posted:

Watched the first episode of We're Here and did a lot of ugly crying but mostly felt horrible for that lady's kid. She just looked so hurt and done while she was in the audience.

If you felt horrible, don't watch the rest of the show.... It's horrible watching them getting turned down for a venue for who they are.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I'm three episodes in and during the Branson ep I started to legit worry about their physical safety in that town. So many people had that "I'd shoot you if the cameras weren't on" vibe.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Drimble Wedge posted:

I'm three episodes in and during the Branson ep I started to legit worry about their physical safety in that town. So many people had that "I'd shoot you if the cameras weren't on" vibe.

Sounds like this joke from The Simpsons wasn't too farfetched

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Dragula: Great, another week, another safe Merrie Cherry look. With her obviously starting poo poo for the camera with anyone that'll take the bait, namely La Zavaleta. But man, the top three looks were SO good. I was blown away. They looked like they could be comic book characters.

UK: That lipsync was EVERYTHING! My god, Vanity Milan is a beast! She gon' dance her way to top three.

Canada: UGH, why did they keep Eve 6000? Her lipsync was messy compared to Suki Doll's. Another Asian queen gone early. All for an annoying drama queen to stay and cause drama another week.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Pan Dulce posted:

Canada: UGH, why did they keep Eve 6000? Her lipsync was messy compared to Suki Doll's. Another Asian queen gone early. All for an annoying drama queen to stay and cause drama another week.

Canada: Eve is like a watered-down version of Ilona, all drama and WHAT ABOUT ME AND MY FEELINGS

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

This was my reaction while watching it, too. I feel like her daughter watched the performance thinking, "Congrats, you finally found a way to make this about you and that's why you're ok with all of this now." Reminds me of my own mother, hard not to project.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Eve 6000 is just the Canadian version of Alexis Michelle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pan Dulce posted:

Production needs that drama, everyone else gets along too well

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everything sucks (I don’t watch Dragula so I hope it’s better).

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:derp::derp::derp::derp::derp:DRAGULA IS UP ON TIME OMG:derp::derp::derp::derp::derp:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

This was my reaction while watching it, too. I feel like her daughter watched the performance thinking, "Congrats, you finally found a way to make this about you and that's why you're ok with all of this now." Reminds me of my own mother, hard not to project.

Yes, exactly this. There's a reason she didn't stick around to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

UK: That lipsync was EVERYTHING! My god, Vanity Milan is a beast! She gon' dance her way to top three.

I keep re-watching this lipsync over and over. :allears: I want to see her and Ra'jah O'Hara tear up a stage together one day.