Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I could probably write an OP for one.. I think it might be my GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

:siren: New Slice & Dice thread :siren:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295

Thanks to everyone here for checking out my game and being so encouraging!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Game is good. But at this point, yeah, I think it may be time for a Slice and Dice thread. It's been multiple pages of non stop discussion, so there is clearly enough substance to warrant a thread.

You're right, I should have made one a while ago. I wanted to wait for it to coincide with an update I'm working on but that's taking a while.

dhamster posted:

I could probably write an OP for one.. I think it might be my GOTY
I beat you to it, sorry :)
I put it in the main games subforum since it's desktop also (and maybe coming to steam one day)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

:rip: Android thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Someone asked about Hoplite-likes in the thread, so I'll add Wanna Survive.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pinix.mercenary

The main difference is it's story mode-only and is about 10 hours long if you try to 100% it.

It's free with Play Pass right now, but worth the money anyway, imo.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
I have 4 and 5 year old children. I have two tablets. What are good games for tablet that aren't just ads?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McJuicy posted:

I have 4 and 5 year old children. I have two tablets. What are good games for tablet that aren't just ads?

PBS kids has a free app full of a variety of games for different age groups

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

McJuicy posted:

Dr. Panda and Toca are both solid series of little kid games.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Although based on mostly BBC TV shows, the cbeebies apps are pretty good. And because they are from the BBC, you can guarantee no adverts. They are free and have no in app purchases either.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Dragonbox makes great educational games. Pay for the app, then no ads or IAPs. Dragonbox Numbers is a fun way to learn addition and subtraction, and Dragonbox Big Numbers was a huge hit with my daughter. It has the fun gameplay loop of collecting resources, then buying upgrades, which let you collect newer or bigger resources, which get you more upgrades. All the while teaching her math fundamentals. She was probably 6 when she got into that, but 4 and 5 is perfect for Dragonbox Numbers.
Dragonbox Numbers
Dragonbox Big Numbers

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
Awesome thanks!
What about games that are fun for any age group?
I feel like there should be some cool creative games that make use of the uniqueness of the tablet? The thing is basically a giant DS, yet every game is just drag and drop poo poo.
What is the Mario of Android?

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

McJuicy posted:

What is the Mario of Android?

Levelhead.

Short that, Minecraft is surprisingly playable on a cell, but I would think most kids have played that to death.

I have seen a couple simpler rhythm/music games that seem to be very popular. Wonder Parade, off the top of my head, has some pretty okay music and is very cutesy.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

McJuicy posted:

Awesome thanks!
What about games that are fun for any age group?
I feel like there should be some cool creative games that make use of the uniqueness of the tablet?

Sago Mini is what you're looking for. Really good for creative play. My 5 year old has been playing it since she was small.

Khan Academy Kids is also impressive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Diablo Immortal is out in early access. I just got a notification from the play store, installing now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Diablo Immortal is out in early access. I just got a notification from the play store, installing now.

You got selected, it isn't a general release.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But why it's a bad had with no redeeming qualities. The internet decided that the second it was announced

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been playing it for a night or two. Up to lvl 14.

It feels like every other arpg on a phone with D3 slapped over it. There are IAPs but I've yet to determine how game changing they actually are.

Has all the markers of a cash grab. Daily login rewards, various in app currency's and IAPs that boost character strengths instead of just cosmetics.

I cannot see how a ladder season will not be a gong show since you can just buy power now.

Hope the d3 lore can carry it long enough

Edit: I'm not particularly surprised at this, it's just odd that it took this long to come out and there's nothing new about the gameplay.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 30, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lmao

https://twitter.com/candlesan/status/1454164524492230657?s=20

They couldn't figure out how to make controller support work for the tutorial so just locked it until you finish.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

m.hache posted:

I've been playing it for a night or two. Up to lvl 14.

It feels like every other arpg on a phone with D3 slapped over it. There are IAPs but I've yet to determine how game changing they actually are.

Has all the markers of a cash grab. Daily login rewards, various in app currency's and IAPs that boost character strengths instead of just cosmetics.

I cannot see how a ladder season will not be a gong show since you can just buy power now.

Hope the d3 lore can carry it long enough

Edit: I'm not particularly surprised at this, it's just odd that it took this long to come out and there's nothing new about the gameplay.

Welp, that's a big ol' uninstall from me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gently caress blizzard but having things unfinished in a prerelease version really isn't rare

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

flatluigi posted:

gently caress blizzard but having things unfinished in a prerelease version really isn't rare

It's just funny that they've been in dev for as long as they have and just slapped a LEVEL 2 sticker on the option

Excited for people to figure out which mobile arpg this is an exact copy of with different art assets

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I wasn't expecting Diablo Immortal to be anything other than a lovely reskin of Crusaders of Light (because that's exactly what it is) but y'all don't even know the half of it.

quote:

The "Cycle of Strife" is an optional PVP system open to all players who have reached Immortal's "endgame" phase. Each of the game's servers will allow up to 500 players within the "Immortals" faction, but an unlimited number of players to opt in as part of the "Shadows" faction. The feature is entirely optional for players; any players who do not opt in during a specific cycle are simply designated "Adventurers" not affiliated with either group.

Shadows players attempt to displace the current Immortal players by forming "Dark Houses" and participating in the Shadows' activities. Immortals players will also have designated activities, distinct from those of the Shadows.
Once the Shadows reach a sufficient level of progression, this will trigger the "Rite of Exile", whereby the strongest eight members of the top ten Dark Houses will battle against the best players within the Immortals (in ten simultaneous 8 vs. 8 battles). If at least half of these battles are won by the Immortals, the structure of these factions remains unchanged; however, if at least half are won by the Shadows, players in the top-ranked Dark House will become the new Immortals faction (with all other players being returned to "Adventurer" designation), at which point a new cycle begins.

It's designed from the ground-up to be an incredibly toxic PvP e-peen game full of sweaties.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phyresis posted:

I wasn't expecting Diablo Immortal to be anything other than a lovely reskin of Crusaders of Light (because that's exactly what it is) but y'all don't even know the half of it.

It's designed from the ground-up to be an incredibly toxic PvP e-peen game full of sweaties.

Well at least you can spend money for direct character power boosts!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lmao

https://twitter.com/candlesan/status/1454164524492230657?s=20

They couldn't figure out how to make controller support work for the tutorial so just locked it until you finish.

I mean, that says that they didn't implement controller support until late in development, and haven't gotten around to finishing the tutorial yet. that's fine actually?

people who play mobile games with a controller are the minority, I'm more interested in the normal ways it'll be a bad game

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Well at least you can spend money for direct character power boosts!

well yeah, that's the entire business model of the mobile f2p trash games that revolve around PvP

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just hope they make up for the lovely game mechanics with that world famous complex storytelling for adult-level intelligences like they always do.

Can't blame a business for going after the huge money in mobile tbh. You'd be approving this stuff too if you were in their position, the worst possible version of a Diablo phone game would still make them millions.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

You guys know blizzard didn't actually make this game. They outsourced it to Netease who pump out f2p games.

Though after the horrible new hearthstone mode, that might be an improvement.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shwqa posted:

You guys know blizzard didn't actually make this game. They outsourced it to Netease who pump out f2p games.

Though after the horrible new hearthstone mode, that might be an improvement.

Yeah we know

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

VelociBacon posted:

I just hope they make up for the lovely game mechanics with that world famous complex storytelling for adult-level intelligences like they always do.

Can't blame a business for going after the huge money in mobile tbh. You'd be approving this stuff too if you were in their position, the worst possible version of a Diablo phone game would still make them millions.

It's not unusual for mobile games to have lifetime revenue targets around/over a billion. Though you need to stay in the charts for a while to get there. The only confusing thing about this project is why it took so long for Activision to release it. Netease claimed dev was done ages ago.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe waiting for D2R to hit that nostalgia chord to boost subs?

It follows after D2 and before D3 so a lot of lore would be fresh.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man super auto pets is a ton of fun. I spent lost like 4 hours yesterday. It is an auto battle similar to hearthstone battle ground but with cute animals and mechanical differences. It is totally free except for cosmetics and the ability to have a different pool of animals. I have yet to see any of the paid animals so I don't know if there are op.

One of my favorite changes is there is no turn timer or lobbies. It just a global you join in when you are a ready. Which is great for when I need to do something and I just started a run. Your run ends if you lose 4 matches or win 10.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Oh man super auto pets is a ton of fun. I spent lost like 4 hours yesterday. It is an auto battle similar to hearthstone battle ground but with cute animals and mechanical differences. It is totally free except for cosmetics and the ability to have a different pool of animals. I have yet to see any of the paid animals so I don't know if there are op.

One of my favorite changes is there is no turn timer or lobbies. It just a global you join in when you are a ready. Which is great for when I need to do something and I just started a run. Your run ends if you lose 4 matches or win 10.

How graphic are the animal fights, I'm not a pro athlete and don't want to see anything too hosed up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

VelociBacon posted:

How graphic are the animal fights, I'm not a pro athlete and don't want to see anything too hosed up.

They are literally Android emoji bumping against each other. It's less graphic than Pokemon.

Shwqa posted:

If you're playing with the free set, you're only matched against other free to play teams.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 31, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just discovered Grim Quest and this is everything I've wanted from a mobile RPG.

Any other menu based ones you can play in portrait mode?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I just discovered Grim Quest and this is everything I've wanted from a mobile RPG.

Any other menu based ones you can play in portrait mode?

My goon, do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, Buriedbornes?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

My goon, do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, Buriedbornes?

Never heard of this, but downloading now!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

Never heard of this, but downloading now!

There's been plenty of discussion itt about it if you want to search

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've been putting more time into the Diablo Immortal beta. It is polished and does have the nice legendary unique item mechanics like d3 (modifies abilities to make them stronger).

Time will tell how bad the cash mechanics are but I am enjoying it.

The battlepass doesn't seem too unreasonable but I really do think the IP is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here. There does seem to be a lot of mechanics (more than D3) to work with but they seem to be a result of the mobile game world to drive you to spend money.

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
You will need to spend cash to increase the chances of legendary gem drops. Without any crest modifiers it's going to be a painful grind. Purchasing legendary crests with paid currency will guarantee one drop per crest and you can use up to 10 crests per run, so whales can essentially pay for 10 gems per run.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's just funny that they've been in dev for as long as they have and just slapped a LEVEL 2 sticker on the option

It's baffling because it'd come across a lot more reasonable to just say "controller support is available after the touchscreen tutorial" or something to that effect.

Phyresis posted:

I had extremely low expectations and this game is still going to fall short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's a shame because just straight porting Diablo 3 with decent touch controls (and gamepad support) would be enough for me to shell 10-15€.

At this point even a port of Diablo 1 would be enough.