Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

OK, taking a break from doomscrolling.
Just let me fire up Duolingo in order to do something productive for a a bit ...

Oh, nevermind ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mcbexx posted:

OK, taking a break from doomscrolling.
Just let me fire up Duolingo in order to do something productive for a a bit ...

Oh, nevermind ...

The bear tells no lies. It was true even before industrialization.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shot
"It doesn't require magic, "

Chaser
"Plastics, idk some kind of bioengineered plastic eating bacteria or something. "

Do you think carbon capture is real too? Liberalism is having faith that tech will save us without understanding anything about the tech. Just a child's blind faith that anything is physically possible if we belief hard enough. That there are no real limits to physics.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Trudeau leaves COP26 climate summit pushing for global carbon prices

trudeau.... thank you......

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

The Trudeau government’s carbon tax began at $20 per tonne in 2019 and will eventually rise to $170 per tonne by 2030. The current price of $40 a tonne adds about 8.8 cents a litre to gasoline, or about $3.50 more every time you fill you car with 40 litres of gasoline.

this milquetoast commitment means an extra $37.40 per 40L of gasoline. people are going to freak the gently caress out and we're going to re-elect conservatives to repeal this within five years (lol. lmao.)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
why not a blockchain-based carbon credit system that can be paid for with bitcoins

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Hubbert posted:

can we get this as a gang tag

I'll buy that for $10.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Plastic eating bacteria and the ensuing consequences (you thought cow farts were a problem?) is a movie I would love to see

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Shot
"It doesn't require magic, "

Chaser
"Plastics, idk some kind of bioengineered plastic eating bacteria or something. "

Do you think carbon capture is real too? Liberalism is having faith that tech will save us without understanding anything about the tech. Just a child's blind faith that anything is physically possible if we belief hard enough. That there are no real limits to physics.

if there's one thing i would say about splifyphus, it's that they would be the last person i'd call a liberal

anyways they're right in the sense that it's worth fighting for a death free from the boot on our necks

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Car Hater posted:

Plastic eating bacteria and the ensuing consequences (you thought cow farts were a problem?) is a movie I would love to see

the bits of Gibson's The Peripheral about the insane technologies used to clean up the oceans (after the planet had like 98% depopulated) and the very weird societies they created were some of the best poo poo in that book.

Actually that book was loving brilliant, too bad the follow up is supposed to be such trash I haven't dared yet.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1455557891281367041

Oooooh, oooh
A-wooah woah, ooh oohh
Bullet in my brain
Bullet to my dome
Kill me in the head with a bullet
Use a gun to kill me dead with a bullet
Oooooh, oooh
A-wooah woah, ooh oohh

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the bits of Gibson's The Peripheral about the insane technologies used to clean up the oceans (after the planet had like 98% depopulated) and the very weird societies they created were some of the best poo poo in that book.

Actually that book was loving brilliant, too bad the follow up is supposed to be such trash I haven't dared yet.

I posted about this before but the Hillary Clinton poo poo in the sequel is loving unhinged. I definitely wish I hadn't read it lol, I wouldn't say it's ruined Gibson for me but yikes. I'm tempted to suggest hate reading it but meh I like Gibson too much, better to be ignorant. Same reason I refuse to see the new 3D Ghibli film. But agreed the weird plastic tribes in The Peripheral were dope.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
"gonna head up to the mountains, get some of that fresh air. *deep breath* ahhhhhh"

(it has plastic in it)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1433559114722922501

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Alobar posted:

"gonna head up to the mountains, get some of that fresh air. *deep breath* ahhhhhh"

(it has plastic in it)

When you think about it, fossil fuel makers have done the world a solid giving humanity a new universal experience. We can all talk about the scent of our local plastic.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think I prefer extinction to the kind of world you seem to want.

well well well, looks like someone's going to the penal tree planting division

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlhagMm3RY

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1455557891281367041

Oooooh, oooh
A-wooah woah, ooh oohh
Bullet in my brain
Bullet to my dome
Kill me in the head with a bullet
Use a gun to kill me dead with a bullet
Oooooh, oooh
A-wooah woah, ooh oohh

HURR HURR WE ALL DRESSED UP AS THE SHOW THAT CAME OUT RECENTLY FOR A PROTEST. SO ORIGINAL

Serf
May 5, 2011

been getting a lot of dune recommendations on yt recently and i timestamped the relevant bit in this interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LfPv1U7MpQ&t=175s

"at some point we're going to have the bite the bullet and just say 'this will cost us'."

and

"i refuse to tell my grandchildren, sorry, there's no more world for you, we used it all up."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do love how everyone is getting into Squid Game without seeing Squid Game. I saw two Tire Discounters on different sides of the city with marquees that read "can we bet on a winner for Squad Game?" :psyduck:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I do love how everyone is getting into Squid Game without seeing Squid Game. I saw two Tire Discounters on different sides of the city with marquees that read "can we bet on a winner for Squad Game?" :psyduck:

All of the small business bootstrapping entrepreneurs watching squid game, nodding sagely, and saying to themselves "we're the dudes in gold masks sipping poor blood and idly betting."

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Kids will play Squid Game minigames on Roblox and yet still have a better understanding of the source material than almost every adult.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think I prefer extinction to the kind of world you seem to want.

good news

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Savage

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

taking a mental break from the forums, D&D just sort of broke me over the last night but you all are great.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

LionArcher posted:

taking a mental break from the forums, D&D just sort of broke me over the last night but you all are great.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Red Army conscripted 600,000 people to clean up the Chernobyl Disaster to stop the spread of radioactive contamination.

The United States has 1,344 exposed toxic waste sites that haven't been cleaned up yet because it would cost too much.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If the free market can't solve the problem then it's not really a problem is it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Lostconfused posted:

If the free market can't solve the problem then it's not really a problem is it.

The free market is real I whisper to myself as I crash my industry into the planet

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Actually if you look, we sold them so they are the new owners responsibility . So sue them instead.

Femur has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Nov 5, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blatman posted:

third - goon project invent a time machine

would love to see how goons hilariously gently caress up this one

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

we already will have

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cold on a Cob posted:

this milquetoast commitment means an extra $37.40 per 40L of gasoline. people are going to freak the gently caress out and we're going to re-elect conservatives to repeal this within five years (lol. lmao.)

love too punish people for consumption while providing no better alternative

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

and remember, their whole stupid plan, is to keep making it more and more expensive until you just can't afford to buy any of it!

this is exactly why carbon tax schemes won't actually work. either they're ineffectively small or cause massive political backlash or both!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

and remember, their whole stupid plan, is to keep making it more and more expensive until you just can't afford to buy any of it!

this is exactly why carbon tax schemes won't actually work. either they're ineffectively small or cause massive political backlash or both!

great synergy with municipal and provincial planning too, when most canadian cities are car centric as gently caress and we're doing drat near nothing to fix that. takes me 15 minutes to drive to work right now (10 on a good day) and best case bus trip is over an hour

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

great synergy with municipal and provincial planning too, when most canadian cities are car centric as gently caress and we're doing drat near nothing to fix that. takes me 15 minutes to drive to work right now (10 on a good day) and best case bus trip is over an hour

exactly! even if its $40 more to fill up your tank in 2030, we know everyone will keep buying gas because...that's still within the range of the price swings gasoline usually takes!

for a carbon tax to work, it needs to be like $1,000+ to fill up your tank of gas...and there's no way that'd stick politically. so we have all the evidence we need to know carbon taxes are going to fail

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

And we know that the actual cost of carbon means a litre of gas should cost about $10, but people would just steal the gas if that happened with the current horrible state of public transit and walkability.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
There is no pricing our way out of it, there's no possible valuation of the ecosphere.

It is insufficiently profitable for civilization to continue

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

in the original timeline the climate was fine, marx had overthrown the entirety of europe and nuclear power was discovered a couple years after that so we didn't face those issues, then someone from alternate gbs started a goon project to make a time machine and oopsies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so not having experienced the whole subway train whatever commute what is the travel time for that stuff? cuz like I unno someone says they have an hours long bus rides and it’s like well