Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Make a custom focus mode?

Update: No good. Focus mode assumes denying permissions by default and then selectively allowing exceptions. I just want to stop calls. Even with FaceTime notifications completely turned off, calls still annoyingly ring through on my iPad. Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

Update: No good. Focus mode assumes denying permissions by default and then selectively allowing exceptions. I just want to stop calls. Even with FaceTime notifications completely turned off, calls still annoyingly ring through on my iPad. Woof.

On your phone go to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices

Just turn off the iPad and that should do it. That’s what you’re asking for right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
So I connected my Magic Trackpad 2 to my new iPad mini to test it out...and none of the gestures work :confused:. Pretty sure it's supposed to just work, but is there some setting I'm maybe missing? Looked through Settings-General-Trackpad and Accessibility stuff but didn't spot anything. Looks like there's supposed to be a General-Gesture setting but it only shows up in the search, it's not actually there to go to.

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have an iPad Pro 2016 (10.5 one).

It updated fine to iOS 15. But for 15.0.1 and now 15.1, it will not update. It says downloading update, installing, then just “error.”

Anyone else have any issues? Factory reset unfortunately did not fix it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Duckman2008 posted:

It updated fine to iOS 15. But for 15.0.1 and now 15.1, it will not update. It says downloading update, installing, then just “error.”

I have the same Pro and 15.0.1 updated fine. Haven’t tried 15.1 yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

It's a long shot, but try it through iTunes (or Finder if you're on a Mac). You could even try downloading the IPSW itself and doing a restore with it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Duckman2008 posted:

You could try a DFU restore.

https://www.imore.com/how-to-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Every time Safari gets updated I check SA on it to see if it can yet do the ONE thing that keeps me in the Awful app. Safari doesn’t seem to be able to enable sound on inline videos that Awful lets me tap to access those controls. I really like the actual website since the advent of Dark Mode, but I can’t enable sound on most of the videos in media-heavy threads and it’s a bummer. Anyone figured out how to do this or is it just impossible? Seems like a large and long-term oversight by Apple.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lordshmee posted:

Every time Safari gets updated I check SA on it to see if it can yet do the ONE thing that keeps me in the Awful app. Safari doesn’t seem to be able to enable sound on inline videos that Awful lets me tap to access those controls. I really like the actual website since the advent of Dark Mode, but I can’t enable sound on most of the videos in media-heavy threads and it’s a bummer. Anyone figured out how to do this or is it just impossible? Seems like a large and long-term oversight by Apple.

You have to right click and show controls or something, it owns lol

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lordshmee posted:

I believe Apple forces video controls for iPhones, but offhand I can't say whether that's just for the phone models or because autoplay itself may be disabled. Even if it worked, disabling autoplay for this issue is probably not a great suggestion, so we'll look at stuff we can do on SA's side to make the iPad imgur video-with-sound experience experience a little better.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is there a calendar app besides Fantastical that has a widget that shows month calendar + calendar events + reminders? I didn't think this would be some obscure thing, but other ones I've tried seem to at most do 2 of the 3 on one widget.

Just in case anybody else was looking, I found that Calendar 366 has widgets that will do this.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Crossposting for the Mac thread:

Can I do streaming from an M1 Mac Mini at home to an iPad on the go? I'm thinking something like Parsec or Moonlight, but to an iPad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

anothergod posted:

Crossposting for the Mac thread:

Can I do streaming from an M1 Mac Mini at home to an iPad on the go? I'm thinking something like Parsec or Moonlight, but to an iPad.

You can just use VNC and a VPN to your home network, yeah.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is that difficult? It sounds difficult? How is the latency?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've toyed with it before. It's not the best experience.

If you really need to access files and poo poo remotely, just upload them to iCloud or whatever service you use.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
NoMachine may be a fairly user friendly option.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

anothergod posted:

Is that difficult? It sounds difficult? How is the latency?

It’s not that hard, maybe a couple of hours work for a novice, longer if you haven’t used command line or don’t have a raspberry pi lying around or something. the latency depends on your connection on both ends. Can be bad, usable, or basically like sitting in front of the computer.

Easiest option is probably teamviewer though! Free for personal use. Jump desktop is also good, I prefer it to TV, but the app costs ten bux.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Splitting hairs a bit here but Recovery Mode and DFU Mode are two different things.

If you see something on the screen during the restore, that’s Recovery Mode, and is usually what you want to use when poo poo goes weird on you. That’s the one in the Apple support article.

DFU Mode boots to a blank display for the restore, and you almost never need to use it. It’s also a lot riskier because it’s an even lower level restore, so you run a greater chance of bricking it if something goes wrong during the process. DFU is documented only in the iOS security guide, as far as I’m aware.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You’re right, I was being lazy with my terminology. Because DFU is a function of the boot ROM I’d expect a much lower chance of it not working.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not as cheap as finding a 4th gen on a bigger sale but latest Magic Keyboard is $100 off at Amazon.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Got my Logitech Combo Touch and while I was expecting a cloth feel instead of plastic cloth texture, it's really nice. Heavy package though. Completely lap-able for me, but I'm 6' 4" with long legs, so no problem at all there. The best thing is having a kick stand that can be put in many different angles. No more useless folio triangle stand. Also very nice to be able to have different viewing angles. Takes some getting used to the small keyboard, but the keys themselves feel nice for the form factor. So far so good. Just need to find out how to make the iPad as close to a laptop experience in the software now. Some small annoyances, but I'm sure 99% is me not taking the time to find out how to set it up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone use that Brydge Air Max? Can it be used with and without the protective case, like Apple's magnetic cases?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to tell Siri which device I want a specific request to interact with? I.e. my phone is nearer to my voice but I’m trying to tell my iPad at the other end of the room to pause the video it’s playing - but then my phone just tells me that it isn’t playing anything.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Not that I’ve seen, and Siri isn’t always great at picking the relevant device.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Screen protector and/or paper-like screen protector thoughts? I have an iPad Mini rocking the standard carrying case but no screen protection

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Paperlike is really nice to write on (I have it on my iPad Pro), but it also dulls the screen a bit, and really shows oils/dirt if the screen brightness is high. I'd only get it if I were using the pen a lot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd only do the paperlike protector if you do a lot of drawing on the ipad and think the texture might be helpful for you, because the drawing feel is the only upside a paperlike screen protector has over a normal one. Compared to normal ones they show smudges more, they're a bit harder to clean, and they dull the screen a bit. They're also rougher than regular glass ones, so they will wear out pencil tips a bit faster.

If you're just looking for brand suggestions or the like, I've always had good luck with amFilm tempered glass protectors on all my various electronic devices.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not as cheap as finding a 4th gen on a bigger sale but latest Magic Keyboard is $100 off at Amazon.

The 4th gen keybaord, which fits the M1 iPad Pro, is now $150 off at Best Buy.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Thanks for the tips re screen protection. Gonna try to learn to draw without one.

Another thing I noticed is that my orange folio is getting kinda dirty. I just toss this whole thing in my bag and... I guess that's what happens. Is there a way to clean it or....?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

anothergod posted:

Thanks for the tips re screen protection. Gonna try to learn to draw without one.

Another thing I noticed is that my orange folio is getting kinda dirty. I just toss this whole thing in my bag and... I guess that's what happens. Is there a way to clean it or....?
Maybe get a folio for your folio.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or get one with a hard outer shell. Matte surfaces are gonna collect a lot more grime (and be harder to clean).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

The usual thing is something like "damp cloth", or just buy a cheap knockoff when it gets too trashed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is the Apple Polishing Cloth approved for use on accessories?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

withak posted:

Not without a firmware update

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

withak posted:

Violates warranty Ts&Cs

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Silly question, is the power button still meant to power down an iPad when held (and then you swipe)? Mine doesn't seem to. It still works to power it on, and to turn the display on and off, but nothing happens no matter how long I hold it.

Can still power down from the Settings > General menu. 3rd gen Pro 12.9" running OS 15.1 I think

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bobstar posted:

Silly question, is the power button still meant to power down an iPad when held (and then you swipe)? Mine doesn't seem to. It still works to power it on, and to turn the display on and off, but nothing happens no matter how long I hold it.

Can still power down from the Settings > General menu. 3rd gen Pro 12.9" running OS 15.1 I think

Nope, I think most i devices require secondary button input now.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210631

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bobstar posted:

Hold down the power button + volume button at the same time.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Huh, well there you go. Thank you both.

Guess I never turn it off manually except before I travel, which hasn't really happened much since I bought it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bobstar posted:

Huh, well there you go. Thank you both.

Guess I never turn it off manually except before I travel, which hasn't really happened much since I bought it!

Yeah, because I think power on its own is a shortcut for Siri.