Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
God drat that's cool, thank you.
What mod were those jars in the trailer from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So my biggest takeaway is that this is disappointingly not a great intro into all the stuff in the modpack and you'll still need to do a lot of digging through the in-game manual. Like the first thing the questbook does is throw you at 'start generating this passively', which is something that takes some infrastructure to get going.

For what it's worth that's not a terrible thing, but it's a little disappointing since I don't have much context on it, and coming from Omnifactory it's a bit of a 'figure it out on your own.'

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

God drat that's cool, thank you.
What mod were those jars in the trailer from?

Supplementaries. Very good mod btw btw

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

OniPanda posted:

Constantly making GBS threads dilithium. It's the only way to get the quantities needed

Huh. I am glad I asked because I wasn't really expecting that.

Edit: when do you give up and use crafting cards?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Falcon2001 posted:

So my biggest takeaway is that this is disappointingly not a great intro into all the stuff in the modpack and you'll still need to do a lot of digging through the in-game manual. Like the first thing the questbook does is throw you at 'start generating this passively', which is something that takes some infrastructure to get going.

For what it's worth that's not a terrible thing, but it's a little disappointing since I don't have much context on it, and coming from Omnifactory it's a bit of a 'figure it out on your own.'

It would be a good idea to play around with just Vanilla and Create for a bit to figure out what all the moving parts do because the recipes are so drastically different in this pack that it's going to take quite a while to get even a small amount of automation started.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It would be a good idea to play around with just Vanilla and Create for a bit to figure out what all the moving parts do because the recipes are so drastically different in this pack that it's going to take quite a while to get even a small amount of automation started.

Yeah, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I'm curious though, how do you make Mechanical Drills and Saws? There's no JEI recipe for them.

Edit: I'm an idiot I set the game into JEI edit mode and blacklisted a ton of items on accident.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 1, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
:minecraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuN9XqG6-sk

This is not intended behavior, lol

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So the Create Above and Beyond modpack is not a great intro into Create, as previously mentioned, but it is a pretty fun little modpack, and it's nice to see more 1.16 packs.

I'm finally starting to build my first Create mechanisms and boy these are some cool ideas. I'm very excited to keep going.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I wonder how much of a modpack's load time is things forge should cache (textures) and how much isn't. Because gently caress Enigmatica 6 takes forever to load. I actually timed it and it was 4 minutes and 42 seconds for me to load into the main menu and then 7 minutes to actually load my world.

Doesn't help that it spends 45 seconds spitting out this warning
code:
[Render thread/WARN] [minecraft/BlockModel]: Unable to resolve texture due to reference chain
on half a million things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In Omnifactory, what is the efficient path for turning rutile ore into titanium? In particular, I'm trying to figure out if I should wash the crushed ore instead of spinning it through the thermal centrifuge. I think one gives me a 14% chance of a rutile dust while the other gives me 3 small dusts guaranteed. I think the 3 small dusts is statistically going to be better; it's like having a 33% chance instead, but I wanted to know if there's something else to consider.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Maguoob posted:

I wonder how much of a modpack's load time is things forge should cache (textures) and how much isn't. Because gently caress Enigmatica 6 takes forever to load. I actually timed it and it was 4 minutes and 42 seconds for me to load into the main menu and then 7 minutes to actually load my world.

code:
[Render thread/WARN] [minecraft/BlockModel]: Unable to resolve texture due to reference chain

The Create pack loads insanely fast compared to other packs. It's really well put together

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In Omnifactory, what is the efficient path for turning rutile ore into titanium? In particular, I'm trying to figure out if I should wash the crushed ore instead of spinning it through the thermal centrifuge. I think one gives me a 14% chance of a rutile dust while the other gives me 3 small dusts guaranteed. I think the 3 small dusts is statistically going to be better; it's like having a 33% chance instead, but I wanted to know if there's something else to consider.
The higher-power macerators increase the chance of getting the extra ore dust, up to 100% with an IV or higher macerator, so in the long run you're far better off washing it and grinding it again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maguoob posted:

code:
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Forge loading times are things that could be cached. It spends the most time on compiling and cross-checking mods, creating an image atlas, sorting and proofing recipes, models, all that sort of stuff. If you're actively assembling or modifying a pack, that's fine, but if mods aren't changing from one launch to the next there's no need to recompile most of this stuff every single time. However the Forge devs don't seem to give a poo poo about this at all and so will not put any effort into fixing it, thus load times remain sky-high for some larger packs.
When I was playing Sevtech on my old computer it took 11 minutes to boot up.

That said, world loading times have definitely gotten longer in more recent packs. I get to the main menu sooner but the world takes a while to load, and I'm seeing some people saying it could be heavily impacted by mods that add biomes, but I've not messed with 1.16 packs and on to really say with any certainty why this is.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Forge loading times are things that could be cached. It spends the most time on compiling and cross-checking mods, creating an image atlas, sorting and proofing recipes, models, all that sort of stuff. If you're actively assembling or modifying a pack, that's fine, but if mods aren't changing from one launch to the next there's no need to recompile most of this stuff every single time. However the Forge devs don't seem to give a poo poo about this at all and so will not put any effort into fixing it, thus load times remain sky-high for some larger packs.

That said, world loading times have definitely gotten longer in more recent packs. I get to the main menu sooner but the world takes a while to load, and I'm seeing some people saying it could be heavily impacted by mods that add biomes, but I've not messed with 1.16 packs and on to really say with any certainty why this is.

I think E6's load times are just compounded by the warning I posted (which also happens in that Create modpack) and having half a million mods that add various textures. E6 does use the biome mod (Oh The Biomes You Go) that adds a ton of different ones and uses a different world gen (TerraForged), so these probably also add to load times. E6 didn't used to take 7 god drat minutes to load on earlier versions, so maybe I'll load up one pre-terraforged and byg and time it.

I did see the post by whatshisface of Forge that is about 6 years old now on how they can't cache recipes and apparently will never bother try to cache textures, so yeah things aren't getting better on that end.

I think my worst offending pack was Project Ozone 3 with the wait time mod installed, the one that adds pong to the loading screen. For shits and giggles (instead of killing the process when I forgot to disable it after an update) I left it on. It took literally over an hour to load, all because of one pointless mod.

I noticed on the yogs sub reddit someone mentioned that should play Create: Above and Beyond and all I can think to that is, have you seen them play modded minecraft before? They find the most basic of botania automation difficult (i.e. tree farm -> furnace -> charcoal -> endoflames -> infinite (slow) mana) and that person wants them to try create but with more complex recipes?!

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

I might be wrong here but from what I remember the issue is that you are not allowed to permanently alter the game according to the EULA, so every time you load a pack you essentially are installing it from scratch.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Modrasone posted:

I might be wrong here but from what I remember the issue is that you are not allowed to permanently alter the game according to the EULA, so every time you load a pack you essentially are installing it from scratch.

Well I am neither a programmer or a lawyer, but here is my terrible opinion anyways!

Wouldn't the work around to that be on initial load (first time) forge compiles everything and then outputs all the built textures to an output file. On second and further loads it does a crc check to see if anything changed and if nothing changed load the original output file instead of rerunning checks and redoing every texture every time you load. This wouldn't be permanently altering the game anymore than making a mod already does and it should save a little bit of time.

Edit: Also a tip for those that try Create: Above and Beyond, the floor is a lie. Beware of broken stone blocks that break when you step on them. Sometimes RNG hates you and puts them directly above a huge drop into a pit and you die. Don't ask me how I know this.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 2, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I remember some packs that would take 30 minutes to load and had over 500 mods. Good times.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do manage the intermediate ore processing from those GregTech machines in OmniFactory? Is there a way to get the secondary/tertiary products automatically? Do I ultimately need to replace the whole ore processing line for different ones? I am just afraid I will have to just do tons of filters.

Edit: I'm trying out the ore dictionary filters in GregTech. Wish me luck!

\/\/\/\/\/ drat

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 2, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ore dict filters on conveyors. I'm generally using stainless steel chests as the intermediate holding, dump all the outputs into a chest and use ore dict filters to move them into other chests for further processing or dumpin to storage. You can use wild cards with them, so dustTiny* to pull out all tiny dusts, etc. Also use robot arms to pull 9 exactly tiny dusts into a compactor. By setting it all up right, you can completely automate ore processing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Patware posted:

anyone else having problems getting the Fairy Lights mod stuff to actually display in Hexxit 2?

Yeah. Oddly, I installed the update today and it worked briefly, I could see the pennants I had hung near my casa. But then I went out for a while and when I came home they were back to invisible. Shame, lots of cute stuff in that mod.

I'm also a bit confused on what actually to do to progress, going out and doing random dungeons I'm able to beat has been alright but I'm also not getting the crazy good stuff going others seem to. Also tons of new crafting and stuff I just have no idea how to dig into. Really appreciate the modern recipe books in vanilla for showing you what you can craft with your current inventory or close to being able to.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So, I'm feeling dumb, in the Create Modpack that got linked a while ago, the automation steps refer to various numbered contraptions, is there a place I am supposed to be finding these to reference them?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ash Rose posted:

So, I'm feeling dumb, in the Create Modpack that got linked a while ago, the automation steps refer to various numbered contraptions, is there a place I am supposed to be finding these to reference them?

Someone else said it is not meant to be an intro to Create at all. You're kind of supposed to know how to make a farming contraption or tree farmer. The quests just go "hey you wanna automate this resource cause you're gonna a need a million".

I think the numbered contraption thing is just a reference to the order you are suggested to make them. Not much sense setting up a wood processing chain before you have a wood farm.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there an intro to create? Not even sure how to dig into what's there, I guess my first create mission is to find some andesite somewhere to make andesite alloy? Which already doesnt make sense since it's just a plain ol rock.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Khanstant posted:

Is there an intro to create? Not even sure how to dig into what's there, I guess my first create mission is to find some andesite somewhere to make andesite alloy? Which already doesnt make sense since it's just a plain ol rock.

Create adds its own tab to the vanilla advancements system which kind of points you in the right direction. Combine that with the Ponder system to learn how to some blocks function and you should be set.

The tech tree in Create isn't very deep, once you've made the crushing wheel you're pretty much at the end. After that it's just doing things because it's cool or convenient and not because you need to unlock more options.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Ponder system is what you want, yeah. Hit escape and click the Create goggles in the pause menu, it'll lead you to a sort of tutorial with very cool animated blueprints of machines and demonstrations of function. Good learning through those, plus the achievements in steps.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do manage the intermediate ore processing from those GregTech machines in OmniFactory? Is there a way to get the secondary/tertiary products automatically? Do I ultimately need to replace the whole ore processing line for different ones? I am just afraid I will have to just do tons of filters.

Edit: I'm trying out the ore dictionary filters in GregTech. Wish me luck!

\/\/\/\/\/ drat

This is spoiled because some people like figuring this stuff out on their own.

If you haven't played with them yet, item laser relays and item interfaces are perfect for something like this. make a line of gregtech chests with arms and oredicts going to item interfaces connected item lasers on top of a row of machines. You can see how I did it in my ore refinery picture a few pages back.

I recommend just using arms rather than conveyors unless you are real low on mats. You'll be using arms for lots of stuff anyway. Another thing in the pack that isn't really mentioned is that non-upgraded mechanical crafters don't require power.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

Can't recommend the Create pack highly enough. It is a bit unituitive if you're not familiar with Create, but I've only ever done the very basics in a kitchen sink pack and I'm having a blast. It somehow feels like a vast improvement on Expert Packs while also feeling more true to vanilla just because of how Create handles. Full automation is near impossible for most of the early game as you really need Brass to start filtering and things like that but it's still really rewarding to watch all your stuff moving and spinning as you work up the tech tree.

If you want a helping hand the Scematicannon is cheap and you can find a ton of schematics online. Or you can experience the joy of fumbling around and messing everything up just like the first time you tried to play with Redstone in vanilla.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's a lot of stuff in this pack I don't understand and I'm not sure why it was included. Some esoteric magic mods with no real documentation, a collectible card game... were these just added for random side flavor, in case you felt like doing other things? Or are they important to the eventual progression?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Long load times? Who has time for that? I'll just play GTNH :smugdog:

Taken from MultiMC's log window, the first log entry is at [XX:24:56], and the last log entry was at [XX:27:50]. Three minutes. Also, it's definitely caching loadup stuff. The first time I ran this instance of the pack (because I updated it to a dev version earlier this week) took far longer.) I'm sure Forge is the cause of a lot of a pack's long startup times, but mod devs also have responsibility for long loading times.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man, playing Omnifactory is really putting into stark relief how bad I am at acquiring large quantities of material without aids like Mystical Agriculture, Mekanism's digital miner, etc. :catstare:

Just barely starting to crack into MV and I'm just in a constant state of "oh god I don't have enough X" and "how many different chemicals are there????".

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

It's a lot. I also had the same problem the first time. This second playthrough, I'm doin a lot better cause I know I just need to crank some poo poo out.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
I've been getting some good mileage out of Brass, which is a progression pack based on Create and Industrial Engineering, working in Mekanism and RFTools later on.

For my personal consumption, I threw in Iron Chests and Tetra, both of which play nicely with the pack itself (I mostly added Tetra because I hadn't really used it before, and was interested in seeing what their TiCon alternative was like)

It's scratching a similar itch to Age of Engineering, which remains my favorite 1.10 pack, though it's not nearly as hardcore (or as focused on parallel production)

Highly recommend.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Althalin posted:

I've been getting some good mileage out of Brass, which is a progression pack based on Create and Industrial Engineering, working in Mekanism and RFTools later on.

For my personal consumption, I threw in Iron Chests and Tetra, both of which play nicely with the pack itself (I mostly added Tetra because I hadn't really used it before, and was interested in seeing what their TiCon alternative was like)

It's scratching a similar itch to Age of Engineering, which remains my favorite 1.10 pack, though it's not nearly as hardcore (or as focused on parallel production)

Highly recommend.

I'll give it a try!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, playing Omnifactory is really putting into stark relief how bad I am at acquiring large quantities of material without aids like Mystical Agriculture, Mekanism's digital miner, etc. :catstare:

Just barely starting to crack into MV and I'm just in a constant state of "oh god I don't have enough X" and "how many different chemicals are there????".
I had very little trouble in this regard because the scanner and diamond hammers (later the fluxbore) will quickly get you more ore than you can carry. There's some passive miners but I ended up not needing them as much until I got to fuller automation from things like DML or even microverses. What resources are you winding up short on?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Long load times? Who has time for that? I'll just play GTNH :smugdog:

Taken from MultiMC's log window, the first log entry is at [XX:24:56], and the last log entry was at [XX:27:50]. Three minutes. Also, it's definitely caching loadup stuff. The first time I ran this instance of the pack (because I updated it to a dev version earlier this week) took far longer.) I'm sure Forge is the cause of a lot of a pack's long startup times, but mod devs also have responsibility for long loading times.
That's weird, I played GTNH a few months back and it took about as long to load as most midsize modern packs. Maybe my computer just sucks, but it was about the same relatively so I feel like it would scale the same way.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vib Rib posted:

I had very little trouble in this regard because the scanner and diamond hammers (later the fluxbore) will quickly get you more ore than you can carry. There's some passive miners but I ended up not needing them as much until I got to fuller automation from things like DML or even microverses. What resources are you winding up short on?

On the topic of the fluxbore did you know you can enchant it with efficiency and fortune? Also unbreaking makes it use less power. Because it took me quite a long time to realize this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

Right now it's copper and iron. I constantly feel like I don't have enough steel/darksteel, and all the big multi-block projects seem to take an absolutely comical amount of cuprenickel.

I finished my pyrolese oven and now it's just... a profound feeling of now what? I'm supposed to break into MV now but it almost feels like I would need to start a whole new facility just for MV stuff what with all the "DO NOT EVER CROSS THE VOLTAGES SO HELP US GOD" verbiage in the quest book.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can plug MV machines into LV wires but not the other way around if you're just barely pushing into MV. But eventually you will want a whole new MV setup and start pushing into automating DML/Lathes/Compressors and then Assemblers. A simple dumpchest -> Controller+2x2 -> Obsidian Furnaces -> more 2x2s for refining your base metals and having big stockpiles will help you scale. Make sure your ore finder has a second range upgrade in it and start keeping a bunch of different specific ore finders around as they have significantly longer range that also stacks with the range upgrades. Shouldn't have any ore problems after that.

Don't underestimate using mass amounts of LV machines as they're cheap and can then feed into MV assemblers or whatever.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 4, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Don't underestimate using mass amounts of LV machines as they're cheap and can then feed into MV assemblers or whatever.

Hmmm, maybe that's where I'm going amiss, I've only built one of each thing so far.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Hmmm, maybe that's where I'm going amiss, I've only built one of each thing so far.

Make sure to build the 16 slot CEF to power them all. Saves a ton of headache. Transformers also exist but are a bit more finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Right now it's copper and iron. I constantly feel like I don't have enough steel/darksteel, and all the big multi-block projects seem to take an absolutely comical amount of cuprenickel.

I finished my pyrolese oven and now it's just... a profound feeling of now what? I'm supposed to break into MV now but it almost feels like I would need to start a whole new facility just for MV stuff what with all the "DO NOT EVER CROSS THE VOLTAGES SO HELP US GOD" verbiage in the quest book.

One thing to get started on very soon as soon as you cross into MV is to get a consistent automated supply of polymer clay, because with that you can make power via diamonds, and lots of other materials like Iron/copper/etc from Deep Mob Learning.