Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

I think that's a problem of the mixed story metaphor. Are we sending white cube hashes or Dyson sphere power home? Or both?

Milky Way implies the power is the more important thing to beam home so I guess it would make sense in game that you don't use all of it to be able beam it home.
Actually this would work as a great excuse as to why dyson spheres put out so little power. Like IRL Earth alone receives a few TW of light from the sun, an actual dyson sphere should capture millions, if not billions, of TW.

But they can just handwave that away by saying 'oh yeah the majority of power is being sent home, that's just your share of the output'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I believe that that exact thing is said in the text of the game.

It should probably be represented mechanically somehow, even if just as a stat you can look at.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Alkydere posted:

"Check the time. 8 o'clock is suddenly 9 o'clock. Ah, what a productive 25 hours."

I can’t tell if their editor/scriptwriter’s English has improved or if the VA got to give some input on editing the script, but landing a solid joke like that is a big improvement.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Sage Grimm posted:

Achievements are enabled, get to flurrying through a handful of them on your current saves!

Logged into my crazy person save for the achievements to see what would happen. Instantly got 36 of them (out of 100) and 75% of the milestones. I should have all the milestones and a bunch more of the achievements, but it looks like you gotta trigger a bunch of them again for the game to notice - which makes complete sense.

There's some good achievements to plan a game around with some speedrun or RP value.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Chadzok posted:

I have a lot of confidence in this team, everything they've done so far has been top notch. The blueprints system is incredible and even the integration of the achievements into the game UI is something that a lot of games could learn from. They also seem to be maintaining an impressive development pace towards full release. The game already feels pretty complete but combat will be a good excuse for a second playthrough. Can't wait!

The achievements tab looks really cool, but it being first in the stats tab is kind of annoying. Every time I want to see if I'm doing ok with production I have to click away from the achievements tab to go to production. It's a minor complaint though, it looks really nice.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wonder where the combat will land of the scale of Factorio “Turn them off because it’s loving rage inducing” to Satisfactory “Oh yeah I guess there’s enemies”

Khorne
May 1, 2002

drunken officeparty posted:

I wonder where the combat will land of the scale of Factorio “Turn them off because it’s loving rage inducing” to Satisfactory “Oh yeah I guess there’s enemies”
I could see them going for an opt-in combat by default. Like, if you want to go a nearby system it's only peaceful or easy stuff but certain farther or resource rich systems have really hard stuff to fight. But it won't come attack you.

I think that'd best fit into the current gameplay loop, but they are super ambitious so who knows what the heck they'll try.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

drunken officeparty posted:

playing factorio as a tower defense kind of game is the best way to play it :colbert:

you're neglecting the ammo belt logistics mechanic of the game! it's one of the best parts

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khorne posted:

I could see them going for an opt-in combat by default.

In the video they outright say it's like Factorio where you can turn it on/off and set the difficulty.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Marzzle posted:

playing factorio as a tower defense kind of game is the best way to play it :colbert:

you're neglecting the ammo belt logistics mechanic of the game! it's one of the best parts

I would just ring my base with double thick concrete walls, put towers every 10 or 15 blocks apart and have a giant belt going around the entire perimeter of the base filled with t1 (and later t2) ammo. Then ignore the biters as they come a crashing.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Winged Orpheus posted:

I don't remember exactly what my setup was, but I did something similar. My solution was to have new battery construction and empty battery reclamation both feed into the charging loop inputs, prioritizing the used battery feed. This meant that used batteries got brought in for charging first, and new batteries only entered the network if there was space for them on the conveyers. It's fine if new battery production backs up, it's not fine if empty batteries get backed up (as you've discovered)

Oh this makes a lot of sense. I need to feed the new batteries in at one point by belt, not by tower. That way discharging the full batteries will always have priority, and won't get backed up by a ship topping off the storage for empties just to get them in the system. Thanks.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
this game still getting updates isn't it?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

star eater posted:

It got one just last week, albeit a smallish one.

quote:

[Version 0.8.22.9331]
Features:
Added a new space navigation direction icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Added 4 new sound FX, including advisor pop-ups, tutorial pop-ups, and several UI sound FX.
Added the Kickstarter Reward - Cosmic Radio ( will be shown as Cosmic Message in game).

Changes:
The Random button for seed selection has been changed to Seed Increment. Players can now go back to the previous seeds more easily.

Bugfix:
Fixed the bug that the color of the shadow of some selected buildings may go wrong when the selected buildings are removed in Blueprint copy mode.
Fixed the bug that it was possible to build a conveyor belt between two tanks under certain circumstances.
Fixed the bug that the UI of Matrix Lab was out of form in English language.
Fixed the bug when the button to rotate the building is not the default button, the mining machine could't be rotated when ignoring the grid adsorption.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Learning that I could rotate miners off of the 90 degree snaps had a small but noticeable increase to my production on some worlds.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The big reason Factorio's combat doesn't work is that it's a tower defense minigame without the terrain restrictions (e.g. chokepoints) that separate tower defense from having to build a big repetitive defensive wall around everything

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I've put in over 200 hours into this game after getting it on a whim a month ago and it's seriously amazing to me - right now I'm working on trying to construct two maximum sized spheres in different system to approach a 4TW generation and it's still fun somehow.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Microcline posted:

The big reason Factorio's combat doesn't work is that it's a tower defense minigame without the terrain restrictions (e.g. chokepoints) that separate tower defense from having to build a big repetitive defensive wall around everything

Turn water and cliffs all the way up - now you've got your chokepoints, and the logistics/layout component of the game just got a lot more interesting

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They seriously need to redesign the sphere design screen. Unintuitive and nitpicky as poo poo.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GD_American posted:

They seriously need to redesign the sphere design screen. Unintuitive and nitpicky as poo poo.

Copy and paste WHEN

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GD_American posted:

This is one of the reasons why I stopped my most recent save. I, at most, want to have to interact with the sphere design screen like two times. It's not in a good spot. Also I really want to be able to save designs. Don't know if there is a mod that does something like that but I'd hope at some point you can do it natively.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
If they wanted to be really lazy for a temporary solution, even just some pre-made full sphere designs would be really appreciated with the current system.

I don't give a poo poo about making my own design all that much, I just want to catch this loving star in a titanium alloy monstrosity. Let me quickly plop down a bunch of targets to shoot my very expensive rockets at.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Manyorcas posted:

If they wanted to be really lazy for a temporary solution, even just some pre-made full sphere designs would be really appreciated with the current system.

I don't give a poo poo about making my own design all that much, I just want to catch this loving star in a titanium alloy monstrosity. Let me quickly plop down a bunch of targets to shoot my very expensive rockets at.

Yeah, the design is a cool option but it is not what I would call a sensible default.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

star eater posted:

it's been quiet lately but i assume that's because they're busy working on the combat update which will be a big one

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
New patch! :)

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1366540/view/3151952246094822838

There's a bunch of images that include explanation so this is best read online, but if someone really needs the text I'll post it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Aaannd of course the Foundation mod broke (or maybe the mod manager?). Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Has anyone used the co-op mod, Nebula?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Turn water and cliffs all the way up - now you've got your chokepoints, and the logistics/layout component of the game just got a lot more interesting

Off topic, but: I only played Factorio with biters off for the longest time, then I tried it this way as a baby step and it's good. I also set my resource deposits to be average sized, but with max reserves and spread far apart, to incentivize setting up fortified rail outposts. Seriously, give it a chance if you haven't tried biters in awhile.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
It's good Factorio gives you options. i feel the biters and fun of setting up towers with ammo belts with armored rail cars flying mortars around the map is a lot of fun and adds some nice tension to the game that would otherwise be a little too dry. But it can be finnickly annoying and frustrating too early (especially if you use mods). a good compromise is to set the world parameters so it's a slower initial build-up enemy threat if you find it overwhelming too early. Similarly I find Satisfactory just a little too sterile and boring, but DSP is actually extremely good even without and I hope whatever they do is given options and a good integration (i.e. hostile solar systems you have to opt-into seems like a solid idea).

Another game that just came out is The Riftbreaker. It doesn't have expansive industrial-sim supply chain stuff. rather more your typical setting up mining outposts and resource-guzzling colonialization of local fauna and flora, but it does have a good combat/tower defense with zillion of towers and fueling them/walls-gates/teleports/base-building and power system capturing some elements of Factorio combat but more engaging. Kind of a hybrid of those hero wave survival where you've got a mech you can deck out, tower defense and wall turtling, and RTS base-building (sans having units to produce). It's on Xbox Game Pass for PC if you wanted to check it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I played the everliving gently caress out of this game and stopped right around when blueprints came out. Have there been any huge changes or could I pick it right back up? Also, how's the optimization improving?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

I played the everliving gently caress out of this game and stopped right around when blueprints came out. Have there been any huge changes or could I pick it right back up? Also, how's the optimization improving?

They added some minor things. Nothing major. Blueprints is pretty much the major change since you probably last played. Should probably be able to pick it right back up.

Optimization is still real good. Unless you're building a multi-layer dyson sphere I can't imagine it gets too bad. In my crazy game the only place that sucks for performance is the system with the sphere in it and it has 4-5? layers now. Can't remember it's been months since I've played.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
There’s an optimization mod for Dyson Shells out too now, brought my save game size from 15 gigabytes to less than two with much better performance while in-system.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

There’s an optimization mod for Dyson Shells out too now, brought my save game size from 15 gigabytes to less than two with much better performance while in-system.

heck yeah

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Soulfucker posted:

OK honestly I'm a bit surprised now at how DSP stores Dyson Shells in saves. Like it seems to just store a straight up copy of every detail of the sphere, when you can get way, way smaller save files by being smart about it.
All you need to do is save enough data to regenerate the shell when the save is loaded. So just the orbit, and the details of each placed main node: which other nodes it is linked to, how many structure points and shell points they have, and maybe even an RNG seed so the shell propagates in the same way every time. That way each shell would take a few KB each, instead of the hundreds of MB a large shell can require now.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Didn’t they do a change that had a massive impact on save size related to Dyson spheres? Must not have done enough…

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BadMedic posted:

OK honestly I'm a bit surprised now at how DSP stores Dyson Shells in saves. Like it seems to just store a straight up copy of every detail of the sphere, when you can get way, way smaller save files by being smart about it.
All you need to do is save enough data to regenerate the shell when the save is loaded. So just the orbit, and the details of each placed main node: which other nodes it is linked to, how many structure points and shell points they have, and maybe even an RNG seed so the shell propagates in the same way every time. That way each shell would take a few KB each, instead of the hundreds of MB a large shell can require now.

yeah what's it doing, storing like, every single sail's position or something

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shipon posted:

yeah what's it doing, storing like, every single sail's position or something
Yes. At least every possible frame and surface element is tracked as being possible and filled or not.

Their save size fix was using basic compression :effort:

It'd remove some sense of wow I just filleded that bit while I watch up close but they desperately need to track progress of larger elements and visually represent that instead of individually filled elements.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

zedprime posted:

Oh wow, I figured they actually did something to what was saved. Nice.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Started a new save game. This time I'm going for the main bus scheme, and I gotta tell you, so far its really made life a lot easier for me even on the starting planet.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

zedprime posted:

Yes. At least every possible frame and surface element is tracked as being possible and filled or not.

It'd remove some sense of wow I just filleded that bit while I watch up close but they desperately need to track progress of larger elements and visually represent that instead of individually filled elements.

they could easily just store the numbers in the nodes and generate the sails on the fly, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shipon posted:

they could easily just store the numbers in the nodes and generate the sails on the fly, no?
Yes except the agglomeration is procedural based on how your swarms ebb and flow from the actively filling nodes. The technical benefit is the knitting together is very organic and if you stare intently at your sphere coming together it is much more ragged than node-as-progress-bar would be without a lot of art direction mixed with coding.