Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

NumptyScrub posted:

Just gonna chime in and say; if the server is not tracking (and decrementing) player health internally and killing players when they hit zero, regardless of the state of messages sent to an unresponsive client, then the server is demonstrably not the authoritative store for player health. The fact that wiggling the window (and ignoring server messages) made players invulnerable is direct proof that player health was actually client authoritative. Authority for each point of data can be set separately, it is a spectrum of responsibility spread across all involved services, not a systemwide yes/no.

MMOs need to be sever authoritative for all data except player input, and the engine should be designed that way from scratch, otherwise you open the doors for all sorts of unwanted exploits just like New World has found out.

So what you're saying is plugging in VR is like a five minute job where some high school kid goes in and sets isVR = true and then you're done because you had all these ideas about VR since the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kosumo posted:

Did they sell licencing writes to the Jeremy Clarkson character to CIG?

Nah, but that's because they couldn't find a way to right him into the script.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

It is with a heart of lead that I write this announcement. Not in my darkest nightmares did I expect this day to ever come, but circumstances have reached a point that even my endless optimism can no longer rectify. I can not finish Star Citizen.

After six years, I am finally at the end of my means. Financially, I spent well over the private and public investments and can no longer enrich my personal checking account. But significantly more troubling is that I am entirely out of ideas -- FOIP, BOIP, even DOIP and HOIP; there is just nothing more to capture. Every year that passes sees me becoming more desperate to make good on the dream with which you all entrusted me, but each such year I grow less and less capable of doing so as my mindset falls further away from that bright, beautiful dream that powered me from the beginning. I am not what I once was.

Despite what felt like an incredible amount of progress in the last year alone, Star Citizen remains frighteningly far from feature completion. It is not my fault, for having underestimated at every turn the amount of work that goes into such a creation. It is Goons fault, for constantly spreading misinformation about setbacks and big publishers fault inhibiting my ability to bring a passion project to life.

I don't know how to make this right. For years now, I've been running on pure cocaine -- it has been quite a long time, if I'm honest, since I was actually working from a place of inspiration -- yet even with the purest of intentions and the deepest desire to honor my commitment, I find myself unable to codewhisper like I used to. No matter how hard I try, it's not enough to bring Star Citizen to fruition, and this pattern of failure has evicted all self-confidence and hope from my mind, leaving only fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Some days I think to myself "how absurd that a game should make me feel this way," and I realize just how unfit I have become to build a source of joy. I wanted so, so badly to make you all proud. To bring you all joy.
I imagine I could go on and on with this gushing of negativity -- the years have left me with no shortage of it. But I don't think much good will come of it. Those of you who have followed the project closely, you already know how much I have put into it; how I have given 110% of myself. Trying isn't the same as doing, so I don't expect any thanks for it, but I hope you all do know just how hard I've tried. I've simply got nothing more to give.

I wanted to get this off my chest as soon as possible. It has been the most painful, difficult decision of my life (other than absolving myself of the Wing Commander movie), and I'm sure that there will be no shortage of blowback. But I simply cannot continue to destroy myself in search of a feat of which I am not capable. When I began this project, I felt that anything was possible. Here now, at the end, I must swallow the painful reality that: I, too, am human. I am limited by technology that hasn't caught up to my vision, I am limited by backers financing, and I am limited by mental & emotional stamina.

One last time, I would like to thank everyone who contributed. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for believing in Star Citizen. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try for something wonderful. One last time, I am sincerely sorry for having let you down. I hope, at the very least, that some of you have enjoyed the ride as I've pitted my brain over the years against one challenge after the next.

I'll be in touch if you have my Monaco cell

~Chris

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a page from his buddy Richard Garriott and actually comes clean with how he was never really the CEO or Chairman and he was just playing a part in the movie/show, he was really only the Creative Director all along and he really understands how badly everything was handled, but, by golly gosh oh gee whiz, he was never really in charge!

- Creative Director, Chris

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How long has CIG been doing the Top Gear bit? Have they always done that? Don't they realize how dated it looks?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

I really enjoy that they are not pissed about having to wait an hour, doing nothing, while help comes their way. No, that's not the main issue you see.

Having a game mechanic where the mechanic is literally "do nothing" is probably the best idea CIG could have to limit how broken it is. Players can use it and feel like playing the game is functional and they are engaged in content.

Unfortunately, as expected, the other party That has to do something on the other end of it.. it's completely messed up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

How long has CIG been doing the Top Gear bit? Have they always done that? Don't they realize how dated it looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGs63MsSBI

so since answer the call.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:what:

But anyhow...

When CR fished the game to publishers they knew he and his game were bad news. He couldn't complete a video game project and got forcefully removed from his last one due to unending scope creep.

Video game developers and network engineers have all said, for multiple years, that the game as promised was a poor dream.

Ten years in, it seems like another company is trying to move in and take over and maybe do it closer to reality. But not at all how CR pitched it with thousands of players in great big huge wars.

All the Kickstarter promises? Hand waved away.

All the 10 for the Chairman promises? Also hand waved away.

I mean, what exactly even is Star citizen trying to be? Just a big huge mess where you can walk around a ship, and to achieve that goal literally the entire game is broken including the walking around in the ship part?

The whole thing is just pretty art. But not art built for a video game. It's art so dumb that it breaks the engine too, nothing loads, there's graphical problems everywhere... but every so often when it does work and a stair way does kill you or a door doesn't load the other side... you can enjoy uninspired 4K textures of a can of space soda and read the label... while the menu glitches on you of course as you try to use the inner thought system just to drink it.

Like I understand it's cool to walk around your moving space ship. But it doesn't work. Like... there's no victory lap to take on anything except maybe what, FOIP? Which was integrated by Faceware for them?

Wow great, a third party plug-in works kinda. Great victory? :shrug:

I would love a space game like what SC is supposed to be. The reality though is that game is not ever going to be made by CIG or Chris Roberts. Look for another up and coming dev to throw money at.

Maybe space engineers. Those guys also have walking around ships, etc. or the guys who made Carrier Command 2. You can also walk around those ships, and their Storm Something game. Lots of companies made that technology work in functional games. Go donate money to them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

You've heard of instant gratification, now try never gratification

Star Citizen: The views, the sights the smells,

Definitely instant gratification if CRobber's statement that work started in 2010 is to be believed. Nothing worth-while in computing ever happened inside the span of a decade — just look at how 1993 computer games were pretty much the same as 1982 computer games, and how 2004 computer games were the same as in 1993 and therefore by extension the same as 1982. Definitely. Any other conclusion is just instant gratification.

Lammasu posted:

It's a Chris Roberts joint, so the idea was probably picked up riiiiight around the time when it became a tired and unfunny reference to something old that only the terminally out-of-touch would suddenly stumble upon and think of as new.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/JMSPpSE.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I feel grief

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

It's a Chris Roberts joint, so the idea was probably picked up riiiiight around the time when it became a tired and unfunny reference to something old that only the terminally out-of-touch would suddenly stumble upon and think of as new.

I mean, it's one of those mysteries for the ages

6 Oct 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLtpcxtk4HI

18 Nov 2016:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 3, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ah a cat-a-pult launch system. Very star citizen

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

trucutru posted:

6 Oct 2016:

18 Nov 2016:

lol i never realized just how close they cribbed that one from original idea

clarkson should have sued them, that's not even close to a 'similar idea' its literally the same logo copied and color changed

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

So what you're saying is plugging in VR is like a five minute job where some high school kid goes in and sets isVR = true and then you're done because you had all these ideas about VR since the beginning.

Store Citizr : isScam = True

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

trucutru posted:

6 Oct 2016:

18 Nov 2016:

By
Ryan
Archer

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Hello!

Hi everyone!

SO excited to finally be a part of this community. Got the game after the last Free Fly event and I am PUMPED for 3.15 to come out. I already have a Avenger, an Aquila, and I just bought a Liberator. Cannot believe that I’ve already spent so much money on this game, I don’t have a ton of disposable income, but this is the game I’ve been looking forward to since I was a kid playing Wing Clmmander. I haven’t played games in over a decade but this game has me HOOKED!

Can’t wait to be a part of this community, made my Reddit account just to be able to hang out with all of you, fellow citizens.

See you in the verse! o7

:allears:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I love all the top gear references at this point. This thing has been going on so long a lot of people probably don't even know what it's referencing anymore.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I constantly forget how cringey and how creepy those ads are. It's like watching Deus Ex: Invisible War characters combined with one of those out-of-touch PSA where the presenters try to use outdated slang to show how "hip" and "down with it" they are.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 3, 2021

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Hello!

Hi everyone!

SO excited to finally be a part of this community. Got the game after the last Free Fly event and I am PUMPED for 3.15 to come out. I already have a Avenger, an Aquila, and I just bought a Liberator. Cannot believe that I’ve already spent so much money on this game, I don’t have a ton of disposable income, but this is the game I’ve been looking forward to since I was a kid playing Wing Clmmander. I haven’t played games in over a decade but this game has me HOOKED!

Can’t wait to be a part of this community, made my Reddit account just to be able to hang out with all of you, fellow citizens.

See you in the verse! o7

:allears:

Welcome moneybags, can I steer you towards the Idris showroom? You look like the kind of fellow that might enjoy watching plebs mopping your floors, am I right?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

loving lmao

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I guess never having gratification is one way to appreciate endless bikeshed development

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

The inevitible consequences of needing an injection.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

tuo posted:

That’s a post from a broken/burnt out developer

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Motion capture for the next Sonic movie?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Blue On Blue posted:

lol i never realized just how close they cribbed that one from original idea

clarkson should have sued them, that's not even close to a 'similar idea' its literally the same logo copied and color changed

They didn't crib it - they Crobbed it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I've never actually watched this until now.

It is catastrophically cringe-inducing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Found another one in the wild. Star Citizen shout out at 4:49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNpkZa-vI4

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

...Despite it's many bugs and the frustration and week longs breaks I've had to take. Star Citizen has that " Je ne se quíos" I haven't felt since I was a teen...

JE NE SE QUÍOS???

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Fidelitious posted:

JE NE SE QUÍOS???

So often people try to look smart but end up looking dumb. Je ne sais quoi! Sacrament, c'est pas compliqué!

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Sammus posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, because you’re not.

But I’m under the impression that the latency issues that would arise from everything being server authoritative would make high populations impossible. So they might end up with server caps of 40 people.

You design around it. Have an action queue, simplify player actions, limit player actions per second etc. There's a reason why current large population MMOs still use action hotbars and have cooldown timers, and it is not a purely aesthetic choice

The knowledgable posters in this thread keep saying SC as promised cannot be made, and it is because when Crobberts says things like "we're a proper full FPS but also 1000s of people in one instance" they know it literally will not work like that because that cannot scale to 1000s of clients.

Also Cryengine is by default mostly client authoritative (for latency reasons), which is why you can currently remotely give other players crimestat and also crash the server on demand in SC lol

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

NumptyScrub posted:

they know it literally will not work like that because that cannot scale to 1000s of clients.

not just because of the tech though. You can't put 50 players in a tiny room and have a great experience with fps mechanics which haven't changed since they were invented. It's just a clusterfuck.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

XK posted:

Found another one in the wild. Star Citizen shout out at 4:49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNpkZa-vI4

this is someone who spends 10-12 hours a day on /r/starcitizenrefunds making up wild stories about how star citizen is bad
do not believe his lies

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I haven't played computer games in 20 years but when I heard about Star Citizen I couldn't wait to pay thousands of dollars to continue not playing games.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4nhtODB_M

oh.

(tldw because he saves this for way later in the video than necessary: NFT robots.)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

No no, that would be silly.

The real answer is that they have a super secret VR build of the game full of all the stuff they've been promising (and NPC's that don't T-pose on chairs) all ready to go- they just need to upload it and hit "Send".

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

haldolium posted:

not just because of the tech though. You can't put 50 players in a tiny room and have a great experience with fps mechanics which haven't changed since they were invented. It's just a clusterfuck.

Shipment 24/7 playlist (on CoD) has taught me that clusterfucks can also be fun, if the base moment to moment gameplay is already fun. 20 players in a tiny map can be highly amusing.

Swap that to ToW / SC FPS gameplay instead of the highly polished turd that is the CoD engine... :magical:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Quavers posted:

:reddit:

...I haven’t played games in over a decade but this game has me HOOKED!...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

star citizen is very accessible to people who haven't played games in 10 years because they're already used to not playing games

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

marumaru posted:

star citizen is very accessible to people who haven't played games in 10 years because they're already used to not playing games

This is true, when I am not playing games it feels like I am playing starc tizren, and that's why people are always telling me to cheer up, thangs aren't that surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Everyone mad about the subscriber gear loss is selfish posted:

The fact that people go to such extreme lengths to whine about this honestly shocks me, imo CIG has not gone far enough. We need subscriber gear to be permanently deleted from a users inventory when lost in game, anything less is an insult to realism and the people who dont posses the means to pay for these pieces of gear. You should be happy other people get to use your gear, it fosters a kind and sharing community.

CIG knocked this out of the park, with that November Sub Flair! posted:

Oh, sweet baby JESUS! I absolutely LOVE this suit and am glad I subbed at the right time, because not only does it look absolutely amazing, but it has:
- that heat resistance that we love, as Caldera suits are awesome;
- those juicy 40% armor resistance for some >HOT< PvE FPS action;
- ...wait for it... THE BIGGEST backpack that you've ever seen! Holy Moly, 120,000 microSCU! That is JURASSIC huge!

And yes, I am fully prepared that once 3.15 Live hits, my death will be record-breakingly untimely (I give myself a whole 40 seconds of time before I run and trip over, knocking myself unconscious and losing mah armor + sub guns like a boss)!

Still, this armor set is really in my top 3 favorites so far, THANK YOU, CIG!!

P.S. Important Note: CIG, you should disable that "Exchange" option on the Hangar Item for the armor, because somebody might accidentally try to gain store credit with it and will destroy his/her armor in the process, gaining a total of $0,00 credits back. I'm sure it's not intended to happen :wink: Keep up the good work, guys!