Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Necrothatcher posted:

That said I've been gaming for decades and pretty much all of my most memorable experiences in the last two years have been in VR games.

Leisuresuit Larry VR claims another victim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

frytechnician posted:

Yeah but Fish And Chip Simulator on Steam has nearly endless replayability value so depends if you're in for a more long term investment.

Strong username:post combo

Feed a man fish and chips, and he'll be full for a day

Teach a man to fish, and he'll never be hungry again

Teach a man to eat fish and chips in VR and set him on fire, and film it for youtube

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When is VR coming to the forums, someone get Jeffrey on this please.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You can sit in VR for games that expect you to be standing but the game will think you're like 3 feet tall. It can be tough to pick dropped things off the floor if you're in a standard office chair with armrests, too. On the plus side, anyone watching your avatar will die laughing as you Cossack-dance around the map.

As well, I think in general VR is built for American-size houses where you can easily clear out a two-metre square area to play in, rather than Great British Hovels.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gort posted:

You can sit in VR for games that expect you to be standing but the game will think you're like 3 feet tall.

I'd love to simulate the experience of being 3' and taking a VR Ryanair flight

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Gort posted:

As well, I think in general VR is built for American-size houses where you can easily clear out a two-metre square area to play in, rather than Great British Hovels.

Yeah this my issue, I have a VR headset but to use it i have to rearrange all my furniture and I just cannot be arsed most of the time, it definitely assumes you have a large area entirely devoid of things to bump into.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Pig (industry) fucker does it again :mrapig:

quote:

One problem for pork producers is that any meat exported to the EU for butchering would not be allowed to be labelled as British pork when reimported to the UK for sale.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1455850220781293571?s=20

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd love to simulate the experience of being 3' and taking a VR Ryanair flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4CrH9DeGWE

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

blunt posted:

Not at all, there's plenty of stuff that you can play seated such as racing sims, anything that has the option of teleportation movement (most games!), media stuff, PokerstarsVR and the fantastic goon-made Gorilla Tag.

Thanks everyone for answering.

Tbh I mostly play games in order to run around beautiful countryside as though I were healthy and capitalism did not exist, so I want VR with a non-VR body. I don't know why I expected disability options yet really, but I'd have thought the decrepit wrinkly market could be massive eventually.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I doubt the "British pork" label really means much any more in terms of sales, people will buy what's available, EU or otherwise.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

What’s the latest information on the accuracy of these? I remember early on reading the accuracy was appalling and we had access to loads because the US rejected them as useless, and then later on reading that actually they’re fine?

I still do a test before seeing somebody but it feels more like a symbolic ritual, is it useful?

They're not particularly sensitive so will false-negative quite a bit, especially because people are reluctant to stick things deep enough into their head holes, but if you're testing semi-regularly (and get a proper test, or at least do multiple LFTs, if symptomatic) they're fine. IIRC the false-positive rate is basically zero, but the false-negative rate can be as high as 25%.

They work best in the way we're still mostly using them - for testing a couple of times a week as part of your normal routine, alongside a widespread PCR testing regime. Don't forget that PCR testing lab fuckup was picked up because so many people were getting positive LFTs but negative PCRs, it would have probably taken weeks or months longer for anyone to pay attention otherwise.

The Americans didn't want them because, well, look at the place - a population willing to shoot somebody for asking them to wear a mask at Costco are *not* going to be amenable to regular, self-administered testing.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 3, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

I doubt the "British pork" label really means much any more in terms of sales, people will buy what's available, EU or otherwise.

True, but it's very lol that brexit means we have to send ARE BRITISH HOGs to the EU because the EU workers we told to gently caress off ignore our begging.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Americans didn't want them because, well, look at the place - a population willing to shoot somebody for asking them to wear a mask at Costco are *not* going to be amenable to regular, self-administered testing.
Just put a big letter Q on it and claim it also tests for Critical Ray's Theories and the gay frogs that live in your sinuses and commit electoral fraud.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

TACD posted:

Has anybody done remembrance poppy NFTs yet? (1 purchase == 1 respect)

yes

https://twitter.com/RoyalCdnLegion/status/1453812007308775438

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Very normal stuff

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1455891272154157065?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The disgusting pile of biological waste on a shop floor is one of the more accurate tributes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A fitting tribute to the noble father of our nation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You can't prove that everyone in the country isn't Boris Johnson's unacknowledged spawn

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just been emailed by Labour HQ. There was a data breach/cyber attack on Friday. I'm not especially surprised they are lax with personal data, given I resigned as soon as Starmer got in.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

What’s the latest information on the accuracy of these? I remember early on reading the accuracy was appalling and we had access to loads because the US rejected them as useless, and then later on reading that actually they’re fine?

I still do a test before seeing somebody but it feels more like a symbolic ritual, is it useful?

Both my work colleagues tested positive on the lateral flow tests. Then sent off the PCR and got negative. But suffering from all the classic symptoms, a couple of days later went to drive thru PCR places and got positive. Turns out that they were initially sending to the dodgy lab giving false negatives.
At work we've decided to rely on the ltf which we take before going in on Mondays. Because in any case the PCR doesn't seem able to pick it up until you're into the infectious stage.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Trickjaw posted:

Just been emailed by Labiur HQ. There was a data breach/cyber attack on Friday. I'm not especially surprised they are lax with personal data, given I resigned as soon as Starmer got in.

Yup, just got the same email. Been out for nearly a year now too. Not happy.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Trickjaw posted:

Just been emailed by Labour HQ. There was a data breach/cyber attack on Friday. I'm not especially surprised they are lax with personal data, given I resigned as soon as Starmer got in.

Though the email says it's a third party that got breached and that "the incident had resulted in a significant quantity of Party data being rendered inaccessible on their systems" ie somebody got ransomwared.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/JustinOnWeb/status/1455847420139552768
30 minute interview with Kathleen Stock, 100% sympathetic, never questions any of her claims, has an intro framing that firmly establishes she's in the right, nods along as she says students have been brainwashed by an extreme minority of lecturers, and Stonewall is 'encouraging' trans students to feel unsafe when they're not and 'the world is not as hostile to them as they think it is'. At one point Barnett clearly feels she hasn't expanded enough on the 'crazy woke lecturers' point and actively prods her with 'So your colleagues - they were fanning the flames (of harrassment against you)?'

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Though the email says it's a third party that got breached and that "the incident had resulted in a significant quantity of Party data being rendered inaccessible on their systems" ie somebody got ransomwared.

Labour getting ICO'ed into the ground will be all Jeremy's fault

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So glad I quit that LP poo poo show.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
How is "you're playing politics over this", said by a politician, to a politician, in the home of British politics during a political debate, considered an instant I WIN THE ARGUMENT button by the media? (Beyond the obvious 'they're a captive propaganda service, Michael'.)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

stop playing politics with our politics

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're not particularly sensitive so will false-negative quite a bit, especially because people are reluctant to stick things deep enough into their head holes, but if you're testing semi-regularly (and get a proper test, or at least do multiple LFTs, if symptomatic) they're fine. IIRC the false-positive rate is basically zero, but the false-negative rate can be as high as 25%.

They work best in the way we're still mostly using them - for testing a couple of times a week as part of your normal routine, alongside a widespread PCR testing regime. Don't forget that PCR testing lab fuckup was picked up because so many people were getting positive LFTs but negative PCRs, it would have probably taken weeks or months longer for anyone to pay attention otherwise.

Real world use for original lat flows have a false negative rate quite a bit higher than 25%, the frustrating part is I can't find anything that defines why it's so high. From having been exposed at a civil partnership ceremony not that long ago I'd guess you factor in the apparent majority of people who think you shed viruses less than 24 hours after exposure. There were one or two academic sources I looked at from early 2020 saying that the false negative rate of LF testing done by academics and clinicians prior to day 4 is over 50%, but if Delta can be symptomatic and even cause hospitalisation by day 3 it's probably reasonable to guess that you can get good results a bit earlier. Post-exposure testing for 3 days in a row starting day 3 is a good idea.

The Americans banned lateral flows because the regulatory body started reviewing their use and found out they were being marketed and distributed at state level without any regulatory clearance, which (pretty reasonably) made them a bit upset

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 3, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1455924023934738435?s=21

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i really need to stop checking the loving news lol

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

At least under Ceaușescu they got palaces.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Democracy triumphs once more.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm swiftly reaching the opinion that anyone who votes is basically a collaborator.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Trickjaw posted:

Democracy triumphs once more.

It's funny how the Tories were heavily anti-corruption when Labour was in the government and are now the party scrapping the rules about corruption.

All the while Labour frowns, but not too much lest it causes a commotion and upsets the centrist voter.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

kecske posted:

last christmas I drank a lot and played superhotVR with the inlaws and it was great, nothing beats jeopardising the living room furniture by blindly jumping around in a space hat

I read this to the tune of Last Christmas and it works pretty well.
Yeah, I'm pretty bored atm
( you have to do some bits fast tho. Like catching up at karaoke because you're pissed)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Wait so they got 250 votes, on a three line whip, with 361 MPs, on a bill opposition MPs apparently also supported?

Am I missing something or are there really a decent chunk of Tories who think "fully legalise corruption" is a step too far?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Some labour or other opposition members must have also abstained because 250 votes shouldn't be enough to pass that, suggests about 100 tories abstained.

Also lol that we live in a completely naked kleptocracy.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1124

The amendment vote carried by 18 and 28 Labour MPs abstained

lol

lmao

great democracy, cool country

edit: not just Labour MPs, 13 SNP, 3 Independents, 2 Plaid, 1 SDLP and the milkman also didn't vote

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
So did 98 Tories, they would have voted it through if required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Roll on the reunification of Ireland.... these ones are driving me bonkers so i need a new set of corrupt politicians to get angry at. :argh: