Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Try reading this one without hearing Cave Johnson's voice.

AITA For telling people not to take my lemons?

It's fine. The lemon tree is very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for throwing my boyfriend a surprise party?

Don't mind me, just retraumatizing my boyfrienddddd!!!!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for pulling my daughter out of a wedding?

I kinda feel for this one, since it's hard dealing with anxiety and stressful events, especially after a difficult experience like a miscarriage... but mental health is not a 100% get out of jail free card to absolve you of loving up someone else's day.

Dazerbeams posted:

If you don't love your cat enough to notice it's been swapped, it's better off somewhere else. If you don't love your lady enough to let her buzz herself, she's better off with someone else.

Wise words.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

What is stopping this person from planting another tree actually on their property? Do that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

What is stopping this person from planting another tree actually on their property? Do that.

Trees grow slowly, that's a great solution for Six Years From Now

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Wasn’t there another one from the wife’s POV because he claimed he just got randomly fired or something and she was like wtf.

Yeah it was from the wife's POV. She said that her manager husband was fired because a new employee, a young 20 something woman, was sexually propositioning him, and when he turned her down, she faked a harassment allegation on him, and then they fired him without warning. She wanted to know what their legal options were, but was getting frustrated that her husband didn't want to fight it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

Her mental health problems are literally causing her to miss important life events and are damaging her relationships with her loved ones. I feel for her problems, but I hope she stops listening to her mom and begins taking some more responsibility for herself and her health.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

spouse posted:

I kinda feel for this one, since it's hard dealing with anxiety and stressful events, especially after a difficult experience like a miscarriage... but mental health is not a 100% get out of jail free card to absolve you of loving up someone else's day.

For starters, no wedding has ever been hosed up by a lack of or a second string flower girl. It seems the way the bride reacted was less about making sure her friend was ok (over a period of months where the op was seriously spiraling) and more about losing her daughter as a walking prop. Second, miscarriages are hugely devastating to people, physically (all of your hormones ricocheting without the burst of oxytocin to balance it out) and emotionally and that's on top of already existing anxiety. My mother had five kids and never fully got over her miscarriage.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sullat posted:

Yeah it was from the wife's POV. She said that her manager husband was fired because a new employee, a young 20 something woman, was sexually propositioning him, and when he turned her down, she faked a harassment allegation on him, and then they fired him without warning. She wanted to know what their legal options were, but was getting frustrated that her husband didn't want to fight it.

Mmmmmmmmhmmmmmm

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

For starters, no wedding has ever been hosed up by a lack of or a second string flower girl. It seems the way the bride reacted was less about making sure her friend was ok (over a period of months where the op was seriously spiraling) and more about losing her daughter as a walking prop. Second, miscarriages are hugely devastating to people, physically (all of your hormones ricocheting without the burst of oxytocin to balance it out) and emotionally and that's on top of already existing anxiety. My mother had five kids and never fully got over her miscarriage.

I'm not minimizing that, I was mostly referring to her saying

quote:

She accused me of wasting her time and money. I told her she needed to read on mental illness and hung up on her.
I don’t owe anyone an explanation for my illness and I don’t think I’m the one at fault especially when they know how not myself I’ve been.

that's why i said "not a 100% get out of jail free card". Just because it's understandable, doesn't mean you're not at fault.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

Trees grow slowly, that's a great solution for Six Years From Now

You can buy a tree that's already a few years old.

And sure, you will have to wait a year, or two, but so what?

I suppose fighting with random strangers forever is also an option.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
How could I have possibly forgotten that he was an OPERATIONS MANAGER? Yes, that was the story I was thinking of, thank you. Still funny.

r/relationships: I understand that his bday is tied to a deeply traumatic event however I decided it’s time to replace those memories. It's a pity this is so long and difficult to abbreviate because drat is it perfect as an encapsulation of what this thread is about.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

AITA for firing my nanny for faking sick to get out of working?

quote:

My husband and I hired a nanny back in August to care for our kids while we're working. The kids are on a weird schedule at school where they don't attend every day or all day so we hired a full-time nanny, "Marie". We liked Marie, despite some issues with her following guidelines we'd discussed when we hired her: she let the kids have way too much screen time, she spent more time on her phone than with the kids, she would make messes and let the kids makes messes and she wouldn't clean up after them, she had friends over without letting us know, she let the kids pig out on junk food instead of feeding them real food. All of this had been discussed when we hired her, and we saw it all when we reviewed our security cam footage, so we sat her down about three different times and gave her official warnings each time. She'd improve for a while each time but go back to the way she'd been before.

Three days Marie called out, said she was really sick, so I told her to get better and I'd call out from work to be with the kids. I'm in the middle of a big project at work and people not coming hurt everyone but I'm a mom first and I don't expect Marie to take care of the kids if she feels sick so I called out. The next day it was really hot out and the local water park is running an off-season special with cheap tickets so I took the kids and after a while we ran into Marie with a group of her friends. I really couldn't say anything except I hoped she was feeling better. Marie started to apologize and told me that her best friend had gotten tickets to the park and she wanted to go and she didn't think I'd have given her the day off.

I told her I would have if only she'd told me the truth. I explained to her that she'd lied to me and made me call out at a time that was really inconvenient and if she'd just told me the truth then I'd have understood and I would have been happy to give her the day off and call out myself, it's the fact that she lied to me is what upset me. I added the lie to her other warnings and decided she wasn't worth keeping employed. My husband and I pay well-above market rate and we provide everything, all she needed to do was take care of the kids and follow the few rules we set. I took her aside and really quietly and as kindly as possible explained this to her and told her that I'd pay her for the whole week but she was fired. Marie started crying and her friends figured out what was happening. They called me a bitch, a Karen, a monster. My kids got upset so I took them and left. Marie has been blowing my phone up with apologies and begging for another chance.

Some of my friends say I should have given her another chance and that firing her was an overreaction. Was I an rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: Marie is not some teenager, she's a 26 year old woman with a a degree in Early Childhood Education and some other certifications/licenses related to the field. She's had one previous long-term nannying job, classroom experience, and she has several younger siblings and relatives and an extensive babysitting career, all of this I verified, along with a good review from her former position. I had no reason to suspect she was less than she presented.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

Everybody is having lemon parties

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

spouse posted:

AITA for firing my nanny for faking sick to get out of working?
It sounds like she hosed up by not having vacation days available for her nanny. Nanny also seems a bit bad (having friends over???), but she'll be absolutely fine, the market for them is VERY hot right now, much like all other entry-level work.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I’ve never had a boss who used security camera footage for disciplinary purposes (as in sitting down while working as opposed to stealing from the register) not be a compete rear end in a top hat so that alone makes me take the nanny’s side immediately.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You don't want the person in charge of watching your kids lying to you on top of violating the other guidelines you set though. Also, big balls on her for knowing about the cameras and still loving around.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’ve never had a boss who used security camera footage for disciplinary purposes (as in sitting down while working as opposed to stealing from the register) not be a compete rear end in a top hat so that alone makes me take the nanny’s side immediately.

for practical reasons if nothing else. scrubbing through the footage for whatever normal reason and happening to land on a bunch of extra adults in the house would be one thing, but it's not like you can tell the terminal to give you a brief of only the bits that'll make you mad. if you're logging the amount of time she spends on her phone you're spending roughly as long spying on the nanny as you would have just watching your own goddamn kids

AITA for throwing my friend a surprise party and not turning up?

quote:

A few months ago, my (21F) friend (23F) joked that she wanted a surprise party for her birthday. I winked at her and said I could make that happen. She seemed excited and said she’d probably forget by the time it was her birthday, so it would be a surprise.

A couple weeks before her birthday, she jokingly asked how her surprise party planning was going. Before I could answer she said ‘you know, now I’m pretty sure you’re going to do it, which makes it not a surprise’. So I said ‘oh sorry, I forgot to plan it, and I kinda thought you were joking.’ Because I wanted it to be a surprise. She seemed upset but didn’t say anything else.

A week before her birthday party, she falls out with me because I was talking to her brother and didn’t tell her about it. I didn’t tell her about it because I like him and I didn’t want the pressure, I just wanted to get to know him. But I see why she’s upset. I’m away for that week for work, so I don’t see her all week. I tried to call her twice but she didn’t answer.

The day before her birthday, I text her and ask if we can talk because I want us to make up. I apologise and ask her to call me. She says that I’ve been avoiding her all week, and that I don’t care, so she doesn’t want to talk to me. I say okay, sorry again, hope you have a good birthday and that we speak soon.

Her birthday comes round, and her surprise birthday party goes ahead without me. I asked another friend to take over and execute it. She didn’t want to talk to me or be friends with me and I didn’t want her to see me and be mad or feel forced to make up with me, but I still wanted her to have a good time. So I was sad but fine with not going, if it meant she had a good birthday.

That night, she finds out that I planned the party. She calls me, and she’s angry that I’m not there. She says it would have been the perfect moment to make up and that she saw how much I cared about her and wanted to make up. She also says I made her look like an rear end in a top hat because she had to explain to everyone that even though I planned the party, I wasn’t there because she fell out with me. Apparently I’m the rear end in a top hat.

Holy Jesus. Who is the real rear end in a top hat? (I’ll probably show her this btw.. whichever answer it is)

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 3, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

why would this lady take care of a tree that's not on her property? Just let the tree do whatever and let other people take the lemons. How much work is it to take care of a tree anyways?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you coulda just googled "lemon tree maintenance"

all the talk about a council suggests this is in England so a citrus tree is probably constantly trying its best to die, like any sensible lifeform trapped in England would be

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Another relationship ruined because of a birthday party.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hellblazer187 posted:

why would this lady take care of a tree that's not on her property?

Apparently it's some kind of covenant obligation:

quote:

While they are on council land and the council planted them, the upkeep (fertilising, trimming, weeding, removal of fallen lemons) is the responsibility of the home owners.

I guess lovely HOAs or some equivalent are a problem in England too

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not letting my in laws convince my kids to name their puppy after my husband's late wife?

quote:

My (27F) husband (40M) was married for twelve years, together for sixteen, to his high school sweetheart. She was a big part of his life so of course she was really important to him and his family adored her, and I was fine with that because they spent almost two decades with her and their love for her is understandable, but as the years went by it started to bother me. It is as if she had been their wife and not his, for them she's a kind of saint and nobody is as perfect as her. And I hate to say it but they're obsessed with her.

When I got pregnant with my first they tried to convince me to name my daughter after his late wife, of course my husband and I said no right away but they did it again when I got pregnant with my second baby, we refused and they tried again with our last daughter, we refused to do that again, and since they could never get what they wanted now they are trying to convince my kids (4F, 1F and a one month old) to name their puppy after his late wife.

We adopted a puppy a few days ago, but she doesn't have a name because our kids couldn't choose one for her yet. And since we brought her home, my in laws (65F, 74M) are trying to convince them to name her after his late wife. But I don't want to name our puppy after her, and I told them that but now they are mad at me because they think I hate her and that it is clear that I want to erase her from my husband's life (when we started dating he sold the house where he used to live with her and gave away everything that once belonged to her, he only kept a few photos. And his family thinks that was my fault, so that's the reason they said that)

He talked to them and told them that it is time to accept that she's gone and that now I'm his wife and that we have our own family and that our lives cannot revolve around someone who is no longer with us. And that only made things worse, they think that I brainwashed him and that I'm doing all this because I'm jealous because I know that "I will never be her", so I got mad and told them that of course I'm not her because she's dead and I'm alive, but I didn't say it to make fun of her because she's dead, I said it to point out that I am here and I am his wife and part of his family, and that they should respect me too, but apparently everyone took it the wrong way.

And now even my mom (who was there) thinks I'm overreacting and that if I let them name the puppy after her it's not a big deal because she's just a puppy that will be in our lives for only a few years, and she also called me an rear end in a top hat for not understanding the "pain" of my in laws, so I would like to know if I am the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to name our puppy after her.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

all the talk about a council suggests this is in England so a citrus tree is probably constantly trying its best to die, like any sensible lifeform trapped in England would be

They said Australia in the post itself! Also that the whole street is planted with lemon trees. So she's practically living in a lemon grove.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hellblazer187 posted:

why would this lady take care of a tree that's not on her property?

So the council doesnt have to pay for the upkeep.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

She says she lives in Australia in the post.

I've got a lot of different fruit trees and they do require a bit of fertilization and pruning to get the best results. I imagine she'd still want to do some kind of minimum amount of care just so it doesn't become an eyesore since it's in front of her home.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AITA for ruining my fiancé's DND game?

quote:

My fiancé (29 M) plays DnD, and while it's not my (31 F) thing, I obviously don't mind. He's a bit anxious and doesn't easily make friends. He was so excited when he joined a DnD group and met new people. I like the group members, except for Chris who's kind of frat-ish. He constantly makes disparaging "jokes" about his wife. He calls her "the Old Ball and Chain" unironically and says poo poo like, "I gotta call the Warden and ask for permission first." I don't know why a twenty-something man talks like a 1950s oil tycoon, but here we are. He also doesn't contribute when people bring communal snacks to DnD.

Which brings me to my point. I don't drink often, but I will sometimes buy a nice (~$50) bottle of vodka. A serving on the rocks makes me feel like an adult in a way I can neither explain nor justify. When we have guests over, we set out assorted drinks/snacks/etc. If they want something specific, they have to bring it or ask.

Awhile ago, Fiancé held a DnD session at our house. I greeted everyone and then made myself scarce. Later, I came out only to find Chris in our kitchen, opening my new vodka. I told him, "Hey, I thought we told you, but you're supposed to ask first. That's not for guests. It's a bit pricey."

Instead of addressing me, Chris turned to Fiancé and said, "What's hers is yours, right? Welcome to marriage!" I was floored. Chris then said, "You don't mind me having some, right?" And poured before I could answer. The group was waiting on him to resume playing, so I let it go (my first mistake, for those keeping score.) After everyone left, Fiancé confirmed that Chris hadn't asked him either before taking my vodka.

This past weekend, DnD happened again. I came out to get some water, and Chris was once again helping himself to my vodka. But here's what totally broke my brain: Chris had BYOB'd, and yet he was still drinking mine.

I marched right over and complained. Chris either ignored me or didn't hear, so I asked why he was taking mine when he'd brought his own. He said mine was "nicer" and "You don't have to be such a bitch about it. It's a little vodka. Are you an alcoholic or are you just cheap?"

I told him to leave. Not politely. Chris kept saying "this is bullshit" over and over, collected his stuff, and stormed out. After, things were very awkward. The group agreed he shouldn't have called me a bitch, but well ... Chris was the DM. I don't know a lot about DnD, but without him, there's no game. They have to either keep playing somewhere else with him or start a new campaign that excludes him. Everyone asked me if he's banished forever or if he can come back to our house, and I didn't know what to tell them. I would let Chris back if he apologized, but somehow I don't think I should hold my breath.

I feel really bad. Fiancé was so excited about this game, and I may have ended it. Fiancé supports me, ftr, but he's worried Chris will cause future problems. AITA?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Suprisee in the surprise party story is the rear end in a top hat for sure

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Chris knew exactly what he was doing lol.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

theflyingexecutive posted:

This bit talks to massive problems:

My husband was in the wedding party and he wanted to take her anyway but I told him he wasn’t taking my daughter and they would have to understand.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Let Chris come back if he plays a game as a character but give him dice that only says bitch on the sides.

"Oh, oh no Chris, you rolled a bitch again. instead of slaying the goblin you just fart as the goblin walks away. Oh and it was a wet one."

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

:lol: yes YTA, your daughter is not your emotional support animal or your therapist

As an anxiety-haver I loving hate when people use their anxiety to act selfish. Usually once they've gotten started/gotten away with it a few times they don't stop, just continually acting completely self-centered and using their anxiety as an excuse, conveniently preventing them from ever actually trying to deal with having anxiety in a responsible way.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Total Meatlove posted:

This bit talks to massive problems:

My husband was in the wedding party and he wanted to take her anyway but I told him he wasn’t taking my daughter and they would have to understand.

Yeah the daughter isn't an emotional support pet and as a parent it's her responsibility to find ways of coping that don't harm the literal child dependant on her. Otherwise she's gonna be a future candidate for the estranged parents thread.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

And surprising nobody, Chris was a poo poo DM and a racist.

quote:

You nailed it! Chris's in-game character was canonically racist. No joke. Racist, in a fantasy world where you can be literally anyone. Chris tried to make it a joke by using this thick southern accent, but Fiancé told me the group found it just ... painfully unfunny and uncomfortable.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My Boyfriend Is a Loser and I'm Embarrassed, Please Advice on Dumping Him Smoothly

quote:

Throwing it because my MIL has Reddit. English is my second language. I'm( F39) very turned off by my boyfriend. He used to be so much fun to be around and seemed like he had a normal life. Gabe (37) and I hit it off immediately, tbh, the connection I’ve experienced in this relationship is the reason I haven’t left him yet. I’d like to be honest and say I’m not trying to play the victim. I walked into this relationship strictly looking for fun and games after a mental/emotional burnout period. To resume, I’ve been the one to work hard on relationships and end up getting the short end of the rope. So, this time, I’ve tried to enjoy it while it lasts. I was drawn to Gabe since we laughed a lot, confided in each other and treated each other with consideration.

I have financial and career stability. I now live closer to him, after one year of relationship. I'm now slowly losing respect for him. He's nice to me, we don't have arguments, he tries to be considerate, etc. I just can't stand his need for recognition. His goals change every day. We were watching a political biopic and there he jumped to say someone asked him to run for mayor, then progressed his story to having been groomed and recruited to run 8 years ago but intrigue and cheating from his own team took his opportunity away. I researched this and couldn't find anything.

He told me he was a regional director at his job. He talked the part and even did some name dropping. I don’t know much about his job, so I didn’t really know whether this would be real or not. His office inaugurated operations last spring. He invited me and maintained this regional director story til the last minute. I went to the event ( no big deal, the office is inside a mall, and they had a 1 hour long welcoming event). I felt something was off. He walked around with his backpack while being ignored by his co-workers. I followed him around because I didn't know anyone else. I’ll admit to feeling very out of place. Then he had a change of heart and said I should leave if I wanted to because the event was boring. I was confused but was already eating from the buffet so I stayed. They announced the entire staff and his name was mentioned but never as a director. He walked around telling everyone he was being considered for the position. Huh? I didn't say anything because that was both weird and disconcerting, plus I wasn't trying to embarrass him. Gabe spent days talking about this/wouldn’t let go and even provided a very elaborate explanation for what happened (fiasco). I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I never made it a requirement to work a certain job to date him, so lying was very uncalled for.

He's been experiencing unusual bad luck lately. His car was keyed twice and his bike was stolen within a 3 day period. His habits are changing and he’s acting very intruding. He wants to "test" my lady parts' discharge for viscosity/fertility. He wants to check my ovulation cycle like he’s an expert. He's been trying to read too much into my FB contact list and has been talking about people in my own friend list reaching out to him but when I ask them, they don’t know what I’m talking about.

I’ve been curious about his past since his life seems like it's falling apart and I’m convinced that he is under some type of revenge attack. If this is true, I’m out. I don’t wanna go into too much detail to avoid being found out but I just learned his past relationship ended when he got exposed for cheating on her. The wedding was called off and this seemingly caused his fall from grace. His exe's family owns car dealerships so I’m not sure what type of job Gabe had but he was definitely their employee. I don’t like this, these secrets and poo poo situations are a huge turnoff.

My breaking point happened yesterday. I have a semi permanent tooth bridge. I’ve never told him because that’s private. We were in his car and he reached out to my face and before I knew, he was trying to yank it off. I felt really uncomfortable. I don’t know if he was purposely trying to diminish my confidence. We went to a burger joint afterwards and while I was treated like a regular customer, the waiting staff wasn’t nice to him. We were practically kicked out after he mentioned he is friends with the owner.

He grinned about his hypothetical revenge on the restaurant staff “when he becomes powerful” but didn’t answer my questions about whether there's some kind of beef with those people and why.

I need to break this off but don’t wanna detail all my reasons because I know hurting his ego might backfire. I need advice on what to say so that he gets put off completely and doesn’t bother trying to hold on to the relationship. Any advice to discourage him would be great.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Woof, 37

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Halloween Jack posted:

This reads like the kind of guy that DMs because enough other people wouldn't have him at their table.

I also can't imagine wanting to game with someone who helped themselves to anything in my home without asking and then treated my partner like poo poo. And all the rear end in a top hat DMs I've ever played with ran bad games anyway.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Say "I cast magic missile" and throw the vodka bottle at Chris's face

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mx. posted:

and they tell me "it's ok he's just very stupid"

Your original cat was an evil genius cat that was swapped with an idiot cat. It’s running a conservative think tank Maryland now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hmmm pathological liar, history of cheating, revenge fantasies against fast food employees he’s somehow developed bad blood with at 37: just a few hiccups you can overcome with couples therapy, love conquers all!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Don't forget the physical assault!

quote:

I have a semi permanent tooth bridge. I’ve never told him because that’s private. We were in his car and he reached out to my face and before I knew, he was trying to yank it off.