Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popoto posted:

Has their ever been an anti cheat system in a competitive game that instead of banning cheaters, just tags them as such and tries to have them match against each other? I would loving love to watch a match of 5vs5 aimbotting idiots furiously mad at the « other » cheating.

Yeah, plenty of games have done that. LoL had that for some seasons and I got to see one of my clients who was a furious cheater complain about how everyone he played with was clearly scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Popoto posted:

Has their ever been an anti cheat system in a competitive game that instead of banning cheaters, just tags them as such and tries to have them match against each other? I would loving love to watch a match of 5vs5 aimbotting idiots furiously mad at the « other » cheating.

EQ2 does that now where botters get exiled to their own server.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm gonna be honest. It wasn't the timers for me it was everything else. Xcom 2 had pretty much all of xcom 1's systems but they also made you juggle:
Weapon mods
Fatigue
Hero classes
Boss classes
Enemy reinforcements
Cores, and Intel as resources.
Hacking
Infiltration
Dark events
Soldier ability points

And then you have poo poo like how the geoscape was run timer get mission/choice of 3 missions in 1, but in two it's a neurotic shuffle of independent events with their own special rewards, each popping up separately with their own timers to keep track of.

It's just loving exhausting to constantly be juggling all that poo poo and I've never really felt the push to replay it like I do for their first one.

They also complicatee the hell out of soldier dress up, but that and all the posters n poo poo are fun and completely ignorable gameplay wise so I'm not throwing it in the list.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Duck and Cover posted:

Mics are overrated. What you need is a good ping/callout system, well at least for games like Left 4 Dead. Vermintide had a good one and still had morons thinking you needed a mic and it's like why? Do I really need a mic when my character is perfectly capable of calling out threats? I've been playing Legion TD 2 and don't even bother with chat for the most part because the emote wheel is just easier.

Sure more complicated games might benefit from a mic over typing/emotes but I'm not a professional FPS player so it doesn't really matter.

playing a co-op game with matchmade strangers and no mics feels just like playing solo but with worse balance

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Even competitive shooters suck because of matchmaking. Having distinct Counterstrike servers with their own regular playerbase and names to watch out for every night was fun as hell

The last game I experienced this with was Team Fortress 2. Seeing a certain name appear and you just accept there's a spy that is going to wreck your team over and over and there's nothing you can do. It helped with medic too because you could see a name and just know they are reliable.

Now most shooters have low player counts like 16 or some poo poo and its exclusively quickplay. No Battlefield doesn't count because Battlefield is not a game but a representation of real war. You run a long time then fall over dead from someone you never saw. Rinse and repeat for an hour.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not understand how battlefield is supposed to be fun when 90% of the playtime is spent hoping to be able to interact with an opposing player.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I played a shooter that came with PS Plus called Hell let Loose and it was the biggest piece of poo poo ever. You run so slowly for upwards of five minutes to the fight with some clunky rear end shooting mechanics and a guy kills you in literally one bullet and it doesn't even show you where it came from. When I said this in Games someone called me an idiot and that the game was an intelligent sim that was soo sophisticated for my battlefield brain. Well poo poo it wasn't simulating any fun.

You can easily get in a fight very quickly in Battlefield if you can read the map and see where the fight is. I constantly get 40+ kills in games of Battlefield 5.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

I do not understand how battlefield is supposed to be fun when 90% of the playtime is spent hoping to be able to interact with an opposing player.

Battlefield is a game where most people exist as literal cannon fodder for planes tanks cara or whatever vehicles exist for the most part

It's really fun when your in one in of those and the other team sucks, that's about it

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I played a shooter that came with PS Plus called Hell let Loose and it was the biggest piece of poo poo ever. You run so slowly for upwards of five minutes to the fight with some clunky rear end shooting mechanics and a guy kills you in literally one bullet and it doesn't even show you where it came from. When I said this in Games someone called me an idiot and that the game was an intelligent sim that was soo sophisticated for my battlefield brain. Well poo poo it wasn't simulating any fun.

You can easily get in a fight very quickly in Battlefield if you can read the map and see where the fight is. I constantly get 40+ kills in games of Battlefield 5.

I has the same experience, except I was repeatedly blown up by mortars like right where I spawned

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

i got bf1 for free from twitch prime and I thought the same thing until I just blacklisted all the 64-player modes from my server search and only joined 32-player ones
half the players but like 1/5th the map size means stuff actually happens

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I has the same experience, except I was repeatedly blown up by mortars like right where I spawned

we all know that dying immediately over and over again as you spawn is the sign of a well designed multiplayer FPS

Games is honestly a lovely subforum. Most of the console threads are like 9 guys jerking eachother off. This thread is better than the entirety of that subforum.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Battlefield Vietnam was a game about helicopter pilots and absolute hell for anyone that did not know how to fly one. It was the best Bf.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

we all know that dying immediately over and over again as you spawn is the sign of a well designed multiplayer FPS

Games is honestly a lovely subforum. Most of the console threads are like 9 guys jerking eachother off. This thread is better than the entirety of that subforum.

I hated what I played of hell let loose and I normally like slower more tactical stuff. Just felt like nonsense. half of the group of goons I play games with ended up loving it though. Maybe not every game is for everyone idk

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah id rather hear people really rip into what they don't like about a game than hear half a dozen boomers sound dissapointed that the brand new guardians of the galaxy game is a but dull

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
games are art.

just like legos

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FoolyCharged posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of l4d2 for the same reason I really prefer firaxcom 1 to 2. It adds a poo poo ton of unnecessary complexity to a game that thrived on its simplicity.

I hate the tone of L4D2. The first game wasn't 100% bleak and serious but it was more grounded. 2 is lololol clown zombies, lololol Ellis is a dumb wacky hick yeehaw grab a chainsaw kid wheeee. Hey did we mention Coach likes chocolate? :razz:

Though honestly I've always said the environments are the spookiest and most interesting part of L4D and even 2 does a fantastic job with those most of the time.

veni veni veni posted:

Most co-op games are crap for the reasons stated above. The only thing offering a similar experience is L4D clones and most of the ones I have played are pretty meh.

I would say we are lacking in good co-op games, because I find 99% of co-op experiences totally boring. Either you have the generic single player game with co-op tacked on or looter shooters that just give enemies more health or whatever. It's rare games actually make use of cooperation well. usually I just think co-op is a distraction in games that would be more fun single player because so little thought is put into making it interesting for multiple people to play.

What most people want is background noise to shoot the poo poo with their friends over, the digital equivalent of a beer and pretzels game. Very few people actually want hardcore srs do or die cooperative tactical operator poo poo.

limp_cheese posted:

I think one of the Splinter Cell games had a multiplayer mode where you worked together to rob a bank but loot was split based on how many players survived. Turned out if you shot your teammates before leaving you got more loot. Never played it but it sounded interesting as hell.

That was Kane and Lynch 2.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like that the 'realistic' ww2 shooters are all about skulking around in some random hellscape alone shooting someone else who is also alone. Honestly, that's kind of the conundrum of it. I kinda like what Enlisted tried to do by giving every player a bot squad to work with though the AI techniques really aren't there yet for it. Enlisted is also way too much of a gacha game but that's to be expected.

sad question
May 30, 2020

One of Splinters Cells did have a coop campaign where your handlers tell you to kill each other at the end.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
NieR: Automata is incredibly overrated. The story is predictable and the combat sucks. I alternate endings and lore are not worth the slog.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Booties posted:

NieR: Automata is incredibly overrated. The story is predictable and the combat sucks. I alternate endings and lore are not worth the slog.

I thought it was a clever game but the combat was not what I expected from Platinum, its definitely one of those ones that people get a bit cringe-worthy about and the overly anime aesthetic doesn't help with that but I battered through it in 25 hours or so and had a good time

its funny because I remember thinking at the time that the combat system needed a bayonetta/devil may cry rating system to give it a bit more depth but having just restarted Sekiro last night (no cheats this time!) its pretty apparent that Nier A just a bad boring combat system that rewards absolutely nothing but spamming the attack button, it feels like streets of rage or golden axe or some poo poo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Vic posted:

The Gamer Code forbids cheating of any kind.

Sorry, cheaters :colbert:

Gamers invented the Game Genie.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Gamers invented the Game Genie.

the game genie was the only way to finish some bullshit games, infinite lives and/or continues should be in every game, fight me

but in modern games, pretty often as soon as i start modding it or cheating i lose interest super fast, so i don't do it anymore

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I thought it was a clever game but the combat was not what I expected from Platinum, its definitely one of those ones that people get a bit cringe-worthy about and the overly anime aesthetic doesn't help with that but I battered through it in 25 hours or so and had a good time

its funny because I remember thinking at the time that the combat system needed a bayonetta/devil may cry rating system to give it a bit more depth but having just restarted Sekiro last night (no cheats this time!) its pretty apparent that Nier A just a bad boring combat system that rewards absolutely nothing but spamming the attack button, it feels like streets of rage or golden axe or some poo poo

Yes. I said the same thing about button mashing to a friend who loves the game and his response was “well you’re just not good at it then”. Possibly, but the game doesn’t incentivize you to do anything else so why bother? Seems like a game problem and not a user problem.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I quit Nier Automata after my first playthrough when I found out that your reward is to do the whole same thing again except as a different weaker character with a few changed lines of dialog, and that people say you didn't actually play the game really if you don't do that loop like 4 times. Then I spoiled the story for myself and it turns out it's all extremely predictable and the things I assumed in the first 30 minutes of the game were true, like all of the humans being long dead and the war being pointless and it's basically a retelling of I Am Legend

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 3, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's a good game.

Not a great game.

But a good one.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I quit Nier Automata after my first playthrough when I found out that your reward is to do the whole same thing again except as a different weaker character with a few changed lines of dialog, and that people say you didn't actually play the game really if you don't do that loop like 4 times. Then I spoiled the story for myself and it turns out it's all extremely predictable and the things I assumed in the first 30 minutes of the game were true, like all of the humans being long dead and the war being pointless and it's basically a retelling of I Am Legend

same

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Tetrabor posted:

Battlefield Vietnam was a game about helicopter pilots and absolute hell for anyone that did not know how to fly one. It was the best Bf.

When I'd spawn in view of someone grabbing a helicopter I'd hide myself in a bush and just watch what happens next. It owned.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

People would get so salty when someone would hop in one and then immediately crash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Was it Battlefield 2 where you could repair the helicopter from inside the helicopter so a dedicated squad could outlast basically anything random people threw at the helicopter so your reign of terror was unending?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was too lazy to find a power strip so I unplugged my PS4 to plug in my PS2 so I could play and finish Suikoden 2 and I think I'm gonna keep it like that for a while.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
suiko 2 is so great, more jrpg should have a 6 person party and super fast battle animations

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I love the sprite size.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

BUT VIDEO GAMES ARE ART! This is probably why I think it’s overrated. It’s always held as the paradigm for this argument. It’s an anime game for neck beards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Who the hell is lauding Nier Automata as art over my main man over here Barbie Super Model a game that crushes any and all aspirations one may have for the glamorous life of a super model by showing you the drudgery and crass capitalism that poison the luster.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's been almost two weeks since i played a video game and today i smiled for the first time in years

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

Was it Battlefield 2 where you could repair the helicopter from inside the helicopter so a dedicated squad could outlast basically anything random people threw at the helicopter so your reign of terror was unending?

That's Planetside 2

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

Who the hell is lauding Nier Automata as art over my main man over here Barbie Super Model a game that crushes any and all aspirations one may have for the glamorous life of a super model by showing you the drudgery and crass capitalism that poison the luster.

Stardew Valley taught us the important life lesson that true happiness can only be achieved by quitting your job after being gifted land and property by a dying boomer.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yup. I got maybe two hours into the second playthrough when I realized that the game was for chumps and promptly deleted it.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

That got patched out pretty quickly, but yeah, originally a squad of engineers in an armed Blackhawk was basically invincible. You could just hover over any flag and cap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Who the hell is lauding Nier Automata rear end art over my main man over here Barbie Super Model a game that crushes any and all aspirations one may have for the glamorous life of a super model by showing you the drudgery and crass capitalism that poison the luster.

Fixed