Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

Ohya manages to hit so many strikes despite actually being tied right into the main plot. Her confidant skill sucks, she takes forever to level up, it takes place at a time when you could be ranking up some of the best in the game, and she's boring as hell.

her final design is also less memorable than the original after the artist was told to 'make it sexy' or whatever, and frankly refusing to meet a teenager anywhere except a sleazy bar is just kinda creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
her being a degenerate drunkard is her gimmick though!!

Takemi is 100% a cradle robber though, but she illegally sells drugs so she's cool

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the worst part of Ohya is that to get her to rank 3 you *have* to hang out with her for like 1-2 days unless you just Chihaya through them, so people don't really want to do that so early on in the link.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of that for all the QOL stuff in Royal I'm still not clear how to get Sojirio to reliably level up

also Tower is my sleeper favorite confidant

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tower sucks because I always start him way too late cause I think he's inner other arcade

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i like most of the things in Royal (playing some of it to bide time until SMTV) but my god does instakill and the mementos item boost break the game. i love getting like 50 Snuff Souls when theoretically the SP items are really rare and expensive and intended to act as a soft timer for dungeon crawling lol

SP wasn't even much of a timer in the base game once you'd got the SP3 adhesive. I don't think I even touched SP items in my playthrough, getting it all from SP adhesives and ranked up baton passes.

Sapozhnik posted:

I am of the unpopular opinion that Golden and Royal don't add enough to their respective base games to be worth the extra 20-30 hours of run time.

P5R doesn't have an extra 20-30 hours of run time; they optimised things like the loading screens and some of the battle animations. The official estimate is 97 hours for the full story on P5 base and 103 for the story on P5R (including the extra semester/palace).

Oh, and speaking of the QOL improvements one huge one I think not enough people talk about between P4G and P5 is when the Persona is summoned. In both games the character summoning their persona calls out Persona and summons it before you use any persona skill. In P5, however, it happens when you use the menu to look at the skills while in P4G I think it happens after you decide on the skill and select it. This means you have to watch the animation of Chie's spinkick or Teddie calling out Bearsona every time - and waste about three extra seconds per spell you use, which adds up a lot.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of that for all the QOL stuff in Royal I'm still not clear how to get Sojirio to reliably level up

also Tower is my sleeper favorite confidant

If you're stuck at rank 4 don't worry about it for now and just spend your time with other confidants. [spoiler]You'll know which palace changes his relationship with you so you can when it happens[/font].

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Listening to some people review SMTV, totally unironic "it's not Persona" "where are the social aspects" etc..

But what really interested me was talking about how hard the game was from the beginning. I guess I haven't ever played a Persona game on Normal but it's not like P3 or 4 are particularly forgiving in the early game, either. The beginning is by far the hardest part of those games. S Yukiko is probably the hardest fight in P4, or up there. and I loving died to Mudos and Hamas in P3P on Impossible or whatever it was because in early game if you miss your chance to kill an enemy quick they can kill you in one turn.

But maybe SMT Normal is harder than Persona Normal? That's why I'm asking it in here, I dunno how easy or hard Person is on anything but the highest difficulty.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

"where are the social aspects"

Who is saying this?

I don't mean to be rude but I see tons of dumb memes from the SMT fanbase about reviewers complaining about SMT not having Persona elements when they're just, like... using it as a point of comparison. It's weird to me that anyone would legitimately conflate them, the two series have never been more separate.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
google smt v polygon review

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There have been a couple but looking at youtube stuff it is mostly handled correctly as in saying that it is not Persona and that it is a good thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tired Moritz posted:

google smt v polygon review

Assuming this is what you're referring to:

https://www.polygon.com/22741033/shin-megami-tensei-5-atlus-persona-preview

It's not even a review???? It's just a misguided attempt to initiate new SMT players from the perspective of a Persona player?

The other half of that, which I failed to mention, is honestly who gives a poo poo if they compare it to Persona, get some real problems lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

NikkolasKing posted:

Listening to some people review SMTV, totally unironic "it's not Persona" "where are the social aspects" etc..

But what really interested me was talking about how hard the game was from the beginning. I guess I haven't ever played a Persona game on Normal but it's not like P3 or 4 are particularly forgiving in the early game, either. The beginning is by far the hardest part of those games. S Yukiko is probably the hardest fight in P4, or up there. and I loving died to Mudos and Hamas in P3P on Impossible or whatever it was because in early game if you miss your chance to kill an enemy quick they can kill you in one turn.

But maybe SMT Normal is harder than Persona Normal? That's why I'm asking it in here, I dunno how easy or hard Person is on anything but the highest difficulty.

I think the big things are that Persona only really got real popular a while after P4 released, and you can notice that every following release started making things much easier: P3P and P4G are way easier than the originals. And even then in P3 and P4 it was mostly the Tartarus bosses and Shadow Yukiko/Kanji who were difficult, random encounters were easy.

Compare to SMTIV were dying in the first random encounters is a likely possibility for someone not that familiar with RPGs and even then RNG can gently caress you. Can give a totally different impression.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Arist posted:

Assuming this is what you're referring to:

https://www.polygon.com/22741033/shin-megami-tensei-5-atlus-persona-preview

It's not even a review???? It's just a misguided attempt to initiate new SMT players from the perspective of a Persona player?

The other half of that, which I failed to mention, is honestly who gives a poo poo if they compare it to Persona, get some real problems lol

okay? the hell.

but yeah, the difficulty drop of the persona franchise is kinda lame. I miss raging against Shadow Yukiko or those loving tables in P3. I don't think P1/P2 were particularly hard though. Just annoying with terrible dungeons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't mean to call out anyone in this thread, I'm just annoyed at random stuff on the internet, pay it no mind.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm not real familiar with them but I watched Kinda Funny's preview discussion for SMT5 from today and it really was just 2 of them saying SMT5 should have just been Persona 5-2.

Things like:
SMT5 is lacking its own visual identity and should have copied Persona 5
It's too hard, Persona is much easier
Being excited that it starts in a school but being upset there were no social school aspects and eventually giving up on the game because of that

I watched the whole thing and they didn't really discuss the game except to complain. I didn't feel like I gained any insight into what to expect in SMT5 outside of "it doesn't do what Persona does".

The only part that really was insightful was discussion of performance, where one played docked and had issues with framerate and resolution but the person playing handheld didn't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm not real familiar with them but I watched Kinda Funny's preview discussion for SMT5 from today and it really was just 2 of them saying SMT5 should have just been Persona 5-2.

Things like:
SMT5 is lacking its own visual identity and should have copied Persona 5
It's too hard, Persona is much easier
Being excited that it starts in a school but being upset there were no social school aspects and eventually giving up on the game because of that

I watched the whole thing and they didn't really discuss the game except to complain. I didn't feel like I gained any insight into what to expect in SMT5 outside of "it doesn't do what Persona does".

The only part that really was insightful was discussion of performance, where one played docked and had issues with framerate and resolution but the person playing handheld didn't.

That is what i was referring to, yeah Somebody posted their vid on r/megaten.

I would hope it's clear I am no Persona hater. I really just wanted to talk about the difficulty comparisons.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I think the big things are that Persona only really got real popular a while after P4 released, and you can notice that every following release started making things much easier: P3P and P4G are way easier than the originals. And even then in P3 and P4 it was mostly the Tartarus bosses and Shadow Yukiko/Kanji who were difficult, random encounters were easy.

Compare to SMTIV were dying in the first random encounters is a likely possibility for someone not that familiar with RPGs and even then RNG can gently caress you. Can give a totally different impression.

I guess I don't remember having any problems in the Castle but in P3P I def had problesm with random encounters at the start. I'll never forget that my Hama and Mudo would miss at least 50% of the time even on enemies weak to them. Theirs did not miss me or my companions, ever.

Tired Moritz posted:

okay? the hell.

but yeah, the difficulty drop of the persona franchise is kinda lame. I miss raging against Shadow Yukiko or those loving tables in P3. I don't think P1/P2 were particularly hard though. Just annoying with terrible dungeons.

I dunno about P1, never played it. Innocent Sin is one of the easiest game you'll ever find but Eternal Punishment requires at least some thought. I liked the final boss at any rate. All Nu Persona games are harder than either P2 title, however.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Main quest P1 isn't all that hard. Just very tedious. SQQ looks like some bullshit tho

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess I don't remember having any problems in the Castle but in P3P I def had problesm with random encounters at the start. I'll never forget that my Hama and Mudo would miss at least 50% of the time even on enemies weak to them. Theirs did not miss me or my companions, ever.

Given than Hama/Mudo apparently have a 30% chance of hitting in P3 according to the wiki and weaknesses don't increase the chance much cause otherwise Mudoon with Mudo Boost would work 90% of the time, it checks out. Enemies hitting you more often is either cognitive bias cause it's easier to remember when you were hit, or the CPU just being a cheater :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Given than Hama/Mudo apparently have a 30% chance of hitting in P3 according to the wiki and weaknesses don't increase the chance much cause otherwise Mudoon with Mudo Boost would work 90% of the time, it checks out. Enemies hitting you more often is either cognitive bias cause it's easier to remember when you were hit, or the CPU just being a cheater :v:

Weakness doesn't increase the chance that much? I def did not know that. I went from replaying P4G to PSP and Hama/Mudo always hit enemies weak to them in P4G so I just figured weakness was the big, defining factor.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean I'm not an expert in mechanics in Persona games, but the wiki says P4 has higher chances than P3 at base, like Mamudoon has a 35% vs 60% for P3 and P4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weakness absolutely increases the chance to hit of insta-kills, otherwise weakness to Light/Darkness would do nothing in 3 and 4.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arist posted:

Weakness absolutely increases the chance to hit of insta-kills, otherwise weakness to Light/Darkness would do nothing in 3 and 4.

Eh, I meant that it might not be a significant increase, not that it doesn't work. That said given a 30% base even a 1.5 multiplier would up it to 45% chance, which checks out on the feeling NikkolasKing said about missing 50% of the time.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:psyduck:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

New persona fans have big, Just watched MHA/ Demon Slayer and will now not shut up about how their the greatest animes ever energy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somebody made that exact comparison on Reddit in regards to why P5R got a lower score than P5 did in Famitsu. Basically P5 got a lot more hype as the best game ever so even though P5R improved it in every way, the hype was gone and it got a lower number.

Although, as as lifelong shounen fan, I think MHA will stand the test of time as a classic shounen. But who knows, I'll try to remember I said this after 20 more years of anime watching.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did the P1 Reversed Snow Queen Quest. :suicide:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I did the P1 Reversed Snow Queen Quest. :suicide:

I kneel monsieurchoc sama

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I don't miss P4 Shadow Yukiko at all. I got through it without grinding my 2nd time around but it's still a weirdly brutal boss for when you have so few options. That's probably a why you'd hear people recommend to grind up so they could get Media or that null fire persona.

I started a new run of SMT4 since I finally wanted to get around to doing neutral and hoo boy, this early game is a lot worse than I remember. I don't think I'd mind this early game as much if I had some revives but as is, it's not good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Persona everyone jumps at the chance to be your friend, meanwhile SMT is a constant social minefield of demons trying to con you and steal your poo poo unless you have nerves of steel lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow all the confidant guides including the SMT wiki are just straight up wrong about Yoshida's schedule lol? They say he should be available four evenings a week but I have literally been able to meet with him once since he called with "whoops my confidant deadline ends early" and there's like one week left lol

There goes my dream of maxing all confidants this time around, somehow I feel behind schedule this second playthrough, I guess Royal expects me to fit in three other people so

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
His schedule should be the same. His deadline is the 17th? But I dunno, maybe you ran into a lot of rainy days.

He actually has the shortest cutoff out of anyone I think, and he's not available in the new semester too because of story reasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yoshida is mostly available every Sunday. I prioritize him heavily because his Confidant is good and it gives good benefits.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm well if he is available 11/6 that will bring me up to Rank 8, I wonder if I might be able to sneak it in, he doesn't have a Mementos request so that's one less roadblock

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ugh this isn't gonna happen, if he really is only available on Sundays I am going to only reach rank 9 before he becomes unavailable, goddamn

I know it's dumb but this feels very demoralizing, especially since I've been playing this for literally 8 months

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow all the confidant guides including the SMT wiki are just straight up wrong about Yoshida's schedule lol? They say he should be available four evenings a week but I have literally been able to meet with him once since he called with "whoops my confidant deadline ends early" and there's like one week left lol

There goes my dream of maxing all confidants this time around, somehow I feel behind schedule this second playthrough, I guess Royal expects me to fit in three other people so

Oof. They aren't straight up wrong - but they are straight up misleading.

Yoshida is available for unlock four evenings a week. So they've ticked those boxes. But he's only available to be ranked up on Sundays IIRC.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Unless Royal changed it for some reason, Yoshida always ranks up when you spend time with him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Royal just seems like it has way too much poo poo to do in your free time, I guess maybe that's on purpose to contrast with Inaba's "small town with nothing to do," but it just seems like it would get overwhelming in a way the previous games didn't.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lotus Aura posted:

Unless Royal changed it for some reason, Yoshida always ranks up when you spend time with him.

Yeah I don’t think that changed. Nov 17th is the deadline though so depending on where you are at you might still make it? What Rank do you have currently Foxtrot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Yeah I don’t think that changed. Nov 17th is the deadline though so depending on where you are at you might still make it? What Rank do you have currently Foxtrot?

It is currently 11/9, I am at Rank 8 and so I only have 11/13 as the last remaining meetup

I am going through the process of making peace with it, if I am prevented from being a completionist at least that means i can also safely ignore Ohya