Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

How are you seeing it that cheap? I bought the 8/256 for $799 at microcenter today.

I'm not even logged into costco.com (usually they hide the deals behind that) but here you go

As the GBS Costco megathread goes, PBUC. The only place to get a reasonable discount out of apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is kind of an idiotic question, but I am a man that lives by numbers.
Is there a good way for me to get a rough idea on the power /capability differentiation between my Late 2014 iMac 5k and the new 2021 M1 iMac? I hear a lot about how the new 2021 is sort of great-but-not-for-power-users but I'm trying to evaluate if its still a huge jump from my 2014 iMac (which I suspect it is.)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Anand Tech put the M1 through the paces in 2020. Lots of benchmarks. https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

It’s a mini not a iMac but the chip is the same so should be comparable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Is there a good way for me to get a rough idea on the power /capability differentiation between my Late 2014 iMac 5k and the new 2021 M1 iMac? I hear a lot about how the new 2021 is sort of great-but-not-for-power-users but I'm trying to evaluate if its still a huge jump from my 2014 iMac (which I suspect it is.)
Here's some numbers:
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/imac-27-inch-retina
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/imac-24-inch-mid-2021

Course that's just a synthetic CPU benchmark and doesn't take into account GPU, SSD, and other stuff like various magic specific accelerators in the M1 that'd affect whatever usage you have. Also temperature/fan noise under load. Besides performance that's one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to whenever the new mini comes out.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Feenix posted:

It'll be a huge jump provided you don't run into M1's limits.

M1 is Apple's entry-level Apple Silicon Mac chip. While it's incredibly fast compared to the Intel chips it replaces, it is literally an iPad Pro chip with enough extra features to work well as a low end Mac chip too. Need more than 16GB RAM, or more than two displays? It's not going to work for you.

The current M1 iMac occupies the same niche 21.5" Intel iMacs used to. About the same price range, and its display is relatively small, though a substantial upgrade from 21.5" (24", 4.5K resolution). There are rumors of a future M1 Pro/Max iMac with a 30" class display (possibly 6K?). Even if those specifics aren't exactly true, it's obvious Apple's going to replace the current 27" Intel 5K iMac with something based on Apple Silicon, and that something is going to be a lot more capable than the current 24" M1 iMac.

So it's really down to what you need this computer to do. It's plenty fast for lots of people, but if you need a bigger display, more compute/GPU power, or more RAM, you should wait.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
personally I’d love to see at least M1 Pro make it into a higher end tier of 24” iMac, kind of like how the high end 21” could be specced with a six core CPU and better Radeon laptop GPU for a while, but I suspect that I’m largely alone in this

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

don't think Apple will ever let you beef up the smaller iMac again to the point it can make the base 27-inch look like a weakling

Still thinking about a binned 24-core Max in a 16-inch case, according to Luke Miami it's a good buy to get a lot of the power of the full Max

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks all. I am not hardcore power user Light Room Pro / 4k Video editor type. I just don't want it to bend or break under the weight of apps and consistent usage or multitasking. I figure it had to have the 27 inch (late 2014) iMac beat in a lot of ways...
also, I'm not actually paying for the up-tier iMac 2021 (16ram /1tb) so it's all gravy. I was just curious if I could expect to be pleased with its performance. :)

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I emailed BaseQi, one of the companies that has a bunch of color matched, low profile SD cards and adapters that sit flush in shallow slots, and asked if any of their options fit in the new MacBooks. They said no, but they will release one in Q1 2022 that will fit and support UHS-II.

I was excited about the SD card slot until I realized I only ever use micro SD cards, so I’m really no better off than when I had to use a dongle. Having an adapter that can sit invisibly in the slot so I don’t have to carry anything separately would be nice though.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

japtor posted:

Here's some numbers:
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/imac-27-inch-retina
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/imac-24-inch-mid-2021

Course that's just a synthetic CPU benchmark and doesn't take into account GPU, SSD, and other stuff like various magic specific accelerators in the M1 that'd affect whatever usage you have. Also temperature/fan noise under load. Besides performance that's one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to whenever the new mini comes out.

Are there tools out there that are aimed at testing specific usage, rather than just Geekbench or Cinebench scores? I've seen videos where someone will list some benchmark (50 photos exported in Lightroom, 10 minutes of 4k video exported from Compressor, etc) and show the performance difference. Is there a tool they use to automate this sort of thing according to some standardized benchmark, or are they running all of these tests manually?

It's completely useless information for me, but I am kind of curious.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

incoherent posted:

I'm not even logged into costco.com (usually they hide the deals behind that) but here you go

As the GBS Costco megathread goes, PBUC. The only place to get a reasonable discount out of apple.

wtf is PBUC

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The holiday return period is now in effect for anything received (not ordered) from Apple between November 1 and December 25. Guess I'll have extra time to decide whether the BTO config I ordered is the right one for me.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

wtf is PBUC

Peace Be Upon Costco

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BlackMK4 posted:

wtf is PBUC

Praise Be Unto Costco, a phrase intended as a joke as though Costco were some sort of god or leader and Costco shoppers are willing, eager cultists.

The standard prayer is to be thinkin bout them dogs.

Getting a Costco hot dog is tantamount to receiving “Communion”, intended to keep body and soul nourished (as in the Catholic tradition, since receiving communion during Mass is an aspect of their faith, encouraging consistent and regular participation with Catholic rituals).

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 2, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
holy gently caress, :lol: Ima have to visit this thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

holy gently caress, :lol: Ima have to visit this thread

Costco is Good

Costco Thread is where goons hear and discuss the Good Word

Costco Thread is Good

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lemon King posted:

Its moving again!

Mine didn't start moving again until a little bit ago, so I guess it got moved to a different flight. But it's finally on the way! I just hope there's not another mechanical issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

Mine didn't start moving again until a little bit ago, so I guess it got moved to a different flight. But it's finally on the way! I just hope there's not another mechanical issue.

your MacBook hath been swallow’d up by The Sea

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ok Comboomer posted:

your MacBook hath been swallow’d up by The Sea

The way UPS does maintenance, it wouldn't surprise me if the cargo doors pop open or something while it's over the Pacific.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

The way UPS does maintenance, it wouldn't surprise me if the cargo doors pop open or something while it's over the Pacific.

at least they’re union

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Kreeblah posted:

Nice, mine arrives tomorrow. So it survived the ocean flight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been sour grapes that past few days and holding back from making this thread shipping chat. Status said it would be here today, then yesterday says "check back tomorrow for an updated delivery date", this morning, it says today! Hurray! Then 2 hours ago switched back to Check back tomorrow for an updated delivery date.

Status hasn't moved since 11/1 at 5:20p (presumably Chinese time since it was 8a here when it posted)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Edit: my mistake

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Mine just came in today 3 days ahead of the schedule Apple promised, 10/10 would buy again.

The rounded corners on the display are freaking me out. It is real weird how the mouse catches on them and can't go into the hidden corners of the screen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Costco is Good

Costco Thread is where goons hear and discuss the Good Word

Costco Thread is Good

Costco thread is the best thread on these loving forums.

Also, went to Costco today, too many non mask wearers, even early on in the day. A lot of white woman instagrams seemed to be the worst culprits. One ran into a friend who was wearing a mask, and pointing at her face, smugly said, "Yeah, I'm a rebel".

in Apple related news, after deciding I'll wait for the new iMacs since I use my 2015 5k the most anyway, I tried the new laptops (Costco had the base models of both sizes out.) That was a mistake. I freaking love the keyboard (it does feel slightly different next to the m1 airs, in a good way, but both keyboards are great) and the 14 really is the perfect laptop.

Goddamit.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LionArcher posted:

Costco thread is the best thread on these loving forums.

Also, went to Costco today, too many non mask wearers, even early on in the day. A lot of white woman instagrams seemed to be the worst culprits. One ran into a friend who was wearing a mask, and pointing at her face, smugly said, "Yeah, I'm a rebel".

in Apple related news, after deciding I'll wait for the new iMacs since I use my 2015 5k the most anyway, I tried the new laptops (Costco had the base models of both sizes out.) That was a mistake. I freaking love the keyboard (it does feel slightly different next to the m1 airs, in a good way, but both keyboards are great) and the 14 really is the perfect laptop.

Goddamit.

Dammit, this isn't helping my impatience on having to wait for my 14" MBP, that's currently slated for delivery Nov 18 - 26. I keep hoping it'll move up on the delivery date, but so far, no luck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

I stalked the Apple refurb store for about a week until a 8gb/256 M1 Mini popped in for $589. Right now the cheapest refurbs are $750, but they seem to stock the base model Mini's a couple of times a month.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I stalked the Apple refurb store for about a week until a 8gb/256 M1 Mini popped in for $589. Right now the cheapest refurbs are $750, but they seem to stock the base model Mini's a couple of times a month.

I am seeing some people recommend the base model cause external storage is cheap, it works fine for 99% of peoples stuff, and it’s a great bargain.

That’s why I wondered how 8GB is holding up for people.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I had a bit of time to run some benchmarks on my work machine (a 2019 16" MBP) vs my personal M1 Air. These are actual real-world tasks I do every day rather than synthetic benchmarks. All my tooling has had time to update so it's all native apple silicon code, no Rosetta. I've got times for the Intel with turbo boost disabled and enabled, since I have TB disabled 100% of the time for noise reasons.

It's a pretty big difference before you consider the Air cost 1/3rd as much and doesn't have a fan. Really hope they release an m1x mini soon.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Granite Octopus posted:

I had a bit of time to run some benchmarks on my work machine (a 2019 16" MBP) vs my personal M1 Air. These are actual real-world tasks I do every day rather than synthetic benchmarks. All my tooling has had time to update so it's all native apple silicon code, no Rosetta. I've got times for the Intel with turbo boost disabled and enabled, since I have TB disabled 100% of the time for noise reasons.

It's a pretty big difference before you consider the Air cost 1/3rd as much and doesn't have a fan. Really hope they release an m1x mini soon.

Thanks for this - my kind of info. Also, totally concur on the desire for an M1 Pro Mini.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RocketLunatic posted:

I am seeing some people recommend the base model cause external storage is cheap, it works fine for 99% of peoples stuff, and it’s a great bargain.

That’s why I wondered how 8GB is holding up for people.

It’s fine. Everything runs snappy, although the most strenuous thing I do is encode video.

It’s been awhile since Mac’s shipped without enough RAM to properly run their OS. My 2011 Mini came with 2gb and would skip while playing iTunes. Apple doesn’t let you upgrade RAM anymore, but at least they include enough memory to handle home use.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I posted earlier looking to get all my network and audio IO far away from my desk and over a single usb-c cable. I did it, I think!

This is the only C hub I can find anywhere with a detachable cable and pass through charging. The instructions say never to do this, and it only charges at 10w on a 30w brick, but it works!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6YS7W2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VD0F5WRZHQAF0ZXNPEQP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

I posted earlier looking to get all my network and audio IO far away from my desk and over a single usb-c cable. I did it, I think!

This is the only C hub I can find anywhere with a detachable cable and pass through charging. The instructions say never to do this, and it only charges at 10w on a 30w brick, but it works!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6YS7W2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VD0F5WRZHQAF0ZXNPEQP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have that same hub and it’s really nice.

I’ve used it as a pass through charger for both a 13” MBP and a Dell and never had a problem.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
FYI I’m pretty sure the apple USB C charge cables only have USB 2 data pins

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s that mean in practice and what cable should I buy?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 3, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

eddiewalker posted:

What’s that mean in practice?

Slow transfer speeds if you’re connecting them to a drive

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Another 7 hour shoot today, fully on battery the whole time at 100% brightness and still finishing with 20% battery in the tank.

This computer is insane. The biggest leap for me since... retina? Absolutely brilliant. Apparently it has fans, but I'm yet to see evidence of that.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I've had mine for a day now and I'm absolutely loving the speed.

My assortment of macports packages took a bit over 13 hours to build from source on my old dual-core retinabook, with the m1 it takes less than 2 and a half hours. And that is with a significant chunk of the build time being single-threaded only for downloading, configuring, copying files, etc. Only the compilation step uses multiple cores.

:hellyeah:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Ugh I have a 2019 13" pro and now I don't know whether to get rid of this thing and get the new pros, or an M1 air, or do nothing at all…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Baronash posted:

Are there tools out there that are aimed at testing specific usage, rather than just Geekbench or Cinebench scores? I've seen videos where someone will list some benchmark (50 photos exported in Lightroom, 10 minutes of 4k video exported from Compressor, etc) and show the performance difference. Is there a tool they use to automate this sort of thing according to some standardized benchmark, or are they running all of these tests manually?

It's completely useless information for me, but I am kind of curious.
Been a while but iirc Adobe apps have scripting or batch action stuff, and otherwise there's ways to script actions in various apps like that or through AppleScript (...if that's still a thing), or semi brute force things through UI scripting where you can record actions like mouse clicks and stuff to repeat as an automated event. I'm sure there's other ways but that's the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

eddiewalker posted:

What’s that mean in practice and what cable should I buy?
Basically it'll only do slow as hell USB 2.0 speeds when connected like that. Like it'll (probably) be fine as the cable between the power brick and hub, but you want a proper USB 3.0 cable between the hub and computer. Something like this or this (oops not 3.0)...not that I can vouch for those brands, probably more options at the usual shorter lengths than that if you don't need 10ft.

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 4, 2021