Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While discussing inane genre arguments, the new mechanic in touhou 18 means that I think by some definitions it's a roguelike

Or at least has the vaunted "roguelike elements"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
what is the new mechanic

:thunk:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Enemies drop money instead of score items. At the end of each stage, you get a shop with a random selection of abilities to purchase

The story is about how people are making items based on other people's powers so all the abilities reference old characters. If they were playable in the past, it lets you have whatever their signature mechanic was. If not, it gives something brand new which feels like them. It's a pretty cool way to use the fact that touhou is a series with a lot of characters without throwing them all into the story and overloading the player

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Open worlds have only been the main AAA genre since 2014 or so, there's still juice in it yet. Expect everyone to switch to oh let's say deckbuilders in 2025

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
after playing through momodora 4 i decided to check out the older games in the series. 1 is pretty neat, basically a cave story fangame with a touch of completely optional treasure hunting. some of the weapons are kinda button mashy but i'd definitely check it out if you're a cave story fan (mechanically at least, there's a story here but it's minimal). very short too, you can probably finish it in an hour or less

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

Open worlds have only been the main AAA genre since 2014 or so, there's still juice in it yet. Expect everyone to switch to oh let's say deckbuilders in 2025

sounds like a much better trend

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I will now elaborate, at this time

the topology of death strandings world could very easily be unraveled into one very long and fairly wide avenue (you don't even need to do this for the first map, it is an actual corridor!!), that about three times opens into a slightly larger but still explicitly constrained bulboid zone. you have a lot of freedom to move within that avenue but whether you go left or go right you're still getting funneled into making forward progress. essentially the same world design as its thematic sister game journey. once you get Stuff and go into side quests you have more latitude in exploring the world because the avenue snakes and coils around itself and it's easier to cross the boundaries once sam "samus" strand has acquired the metaphorical space jump boots, but the critical path of the game is extremely not an open world

it's not open world, it's better than that, because it has actual level design

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Death Stranding is a perfect game though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's right.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So is Outer Wilds, which makes 2019 a hell of a year for gaming

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's right, again. as long as we're only talking about 2019 outer wilds, and not 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not the best game, it's spacer's game

That joke hasn't gotten old yet right, I'm still good?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played like two loops of the dlc and forgot about it in favor of something else, probably castlevania 64 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

i played like two loops of the dlc and forgot about it in favor of something else, probably castlevania 64 2
good choice, the first couple loops are the best part

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The perfect game doesn't exist. Oh wait correction yes it does and it's called Eternal Darkness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its called Atelier Ayesha

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

In Trials of Mana. How do you control what party members you get?

I started with the Mage and the game threw the Captain and the Thief at me. And now I think I'm locked with them. How do I decide?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Don’t you choose at the start?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

I started with the Mage and the game threw the Captain and the Thief at me. And now I think I'm locked with them. How do I decide?

you choose at the very beginning of the game. it's fairly short for a jrpg and there are three "main" stories based on who the leader is so it's a replay value kinda thing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

you chose three characters at the start, you can't change them

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feliday Melody posted:

At the outset, you select a trio

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can select any combination of characters but there are 3 pairs whose stories interconnect in a deeper way thematically: Angela/Duran, Hawkeye/Reisz, and Kevin/Chawwotte.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

homeless snail posted:

you chose three characters at the start, you can't change them

Wow I started my current game so long ago I forgot!

I just assumed you recruited all characters and then switched between them.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Atelier Ayesha was pretty good

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The only truly open world game is No Man's Sky, just another piece of evidence that open world games are in fact baD.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

The only truly open world game is No Man's Sky, just another piece of evidence that open world games are in fact baD.

NMS owns

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the perfect game is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nms is in a really good place, now. its officially a Good Game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
the perfect game is superman 64

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

NMS is a white noise generator in video game form

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Muscle Tracer posted:

NMS is a white noise generator in video game form

Too easy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Death Stranding is an Opening the World game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what do you Do in NMS now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

the perfect game is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

can confirm

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

NMS has, I believe, over ten different points of interest now! There's: big trading post, crashed freighter, lone trading terminal, drone factory, small trading post, slime building, portal, communication tower, monolith, big monolith... it never ends!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rarity posted:

its been longer thann that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it kind of just turned into a hybrid of subnautica and elite. you build colonies to get access to the resources you need, to work your way up tech trees, or you can do some space trucking to trade for what you need according to supply and demand. ultimately just, acquiring material wealth so you can collect cool looking space ships and freighters, and upgrade and customize them + your colonies. and then a lot of weird side content that branches off of that, side quests to get weird looking ships and gear, doing space hulks which are ultimately just like procedurally generated dungeons, there's a multiplayer quest hub thats essentially just the tower from destiny where you can meet up with random people and do poo poo for cosmetics. the original quest to get to the center of the galaxy and, the quest they replaced the original quest with, are still in the game but there's zero reason to do them

this year they started doing seasonal expeditions, where everyone starts from some kind of scratch in one specific part of the galaxy with explicit objectives for them to accomplish in two months, that are kinda cool. this last season was all about thoroughly exploring every square inch of one planet in particular

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

I will now elaborate, at this time

the topology of death strandings world could very easily be unraveled into one very long and fairly wide avenue (you don't even need to do this for the first map, it is an actual corridor!!), that about three times opens into a slightly larger but still explicitly constrained bulboid zone. you have a lot of freedom to move within that avenue but whether you go left or go right you're still getting funneled into making forward progress. essentially the same world design as its thematic sister game journey. once you get Stuff and go into side quests you have more latitude in exploring the world because the avenue snakes and coils around itself and it's easier to cross the boundaries once sam "samus" strand has acquired the metaphorical space jump boots, but the critical path of the game is extremely not an open world

it's not open world, it's better than that, because it has actual level design

its open world

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

paprtly due to all its competitors being complete garbage and partly becausue its actually good at it, it is now the current uncontested best space sim game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NMS is a mile wide and an inch deep, which is an upgrade from its launch condition of a few yards wide and a millimeter deep