Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

"Look on my Dorm, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Do you think the people making up cyberpunk dystopia settings ever just look at this stuff and realize they can't come close to that level of soul-crushing?

https://twitter.com/greatdismal/status/911805263174238209?lang=en

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slanderer posted:

I remembered how to quote archived stuff:
That is some Dahir Insaat poo poo and I mean quite literally

-Zydeco- posted:

"The cube plans to put 1 out of every 6 UCSB students next to the County of Santa Barbara Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center"
Suddenly the no windows thing becomes really appealing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Like….how loving lazy are you?

I’m very glad I don’t have to look at that poo poo every day. The neighborhood behind ours is a cornfield converted vinyl village in every sense of the phrase.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What is it with people not staining fences? I’ve seen that a ton recently and I don’t know if it’s a new thing or if it’s because I’m just noticing etc.

Did HGTV decide weathered, gross pine boards are rustic flair or something?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Derelícte, so hot right now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

It’s a hot water pool. Brimming with green energy.

I was like "103 is pretty hot for a pool. Maybe a hot tub..." :stare: :byoscience:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

What is it with people not staining fences? I’ve seen that a ton recently and I don’t know if it’s a new thing or if it’s because I’m just noticing etc.

Because if you live in a rainy climate like where I live you have to sand and re-stain your entire fence line every 2-3 years, and gently caress that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Natural "weathered wood" is also fairly popular.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cyrano4747 posted:

because im lazy, op

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-02/zillow-shuts-down-home-flipping-business-after-racking-up-losses

quote:

The decision comes as the company’s third-quarter results showed it lost more than $380 million in the flipping operation, called Zillow Offers. The business hit a major snag in recent months as the company’s algorithms caused it to overpay for houses just as the heated U.S. market began to cool slightly, forcing it to list properties at a loss.
:sickos:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Good.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

drat I thought they were just burning VC money to hit market share so they could pull some nefarious scheme, I didn't realize they were actually trying to make money by flipping.

What idiots.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bots With Money: Flipping not just for Battlebots anymore.

I know the answer, but did Zillow really not have any oversight on these purchases? No local realtor to double check their offer? That’s SV for you.

E: Oops thought I was in the bad with money thread.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know the answer, but did Zillow really not have any oversight on these purchases? No local realtor to double check their offer? That’s SV for you.

Blind faith in the algorithm, it can never fail.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

That sounds like an expense that we should be able to automate away! And the goal here is to get as filthy stinking rich as possible, so we must ruthlessly cull all expenses!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ok I don’t know electricity on this scale and the colors seem wrong, but is that red glow photoemission from heated metal? Surely not, right?! (Last time what I thought was a heated pool turned out to be an electric pool so I’m skittish.)

re Zillow: someday we will find out that most of the people losing their jobs as the result of this spent the last eight months trying to figure out how it was possible the company was making these decisions which didn’t make any sense then being told to gently caress off and keep pushing buttons by some level of management.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It is indeed glowing from getting way too hot. The camera may exaggerate the visuals by capturing some near infrared, as many cameras do.

OP says it was one hundred amps load in a circuit rated for three hundred. Just a poor electrical connexion due to improper installation further degrading with time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The first one I get because they’re pulling a fast one on inspectors, but as to the second, I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a construction.

Bonus Jesus cord:

e: double bonus lamp cord used in the wall:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 3, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Platystemon posted:

It is indeed glowing from getting way too hot. The camera may exaggerate the visuals by capturing some near infrared, as many cameras do.

OP says it was one hundred amps load in a circuit rated for three hundred. Just a poor electrical connexion due to improper installation further degrading with time.

Well a thing I do know a little about is glowing metal, how hot it needs to be to look like that (the lights-on picture shows some classic discoloration from the presumably sheet steel warming up), and why I would be running for a master cutoff or possibly just the gently caress away instead of taking a picture

e: I think this thread might be finally breaking me

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LonsomeSon posted:

Well a thing I do know a little about is glowing metal, how hot it needs to be to look like that (the lights-on picture shows some classic discoloration from the presumably sheet steel warming up), and why I would be running for a master cutoff or possibly just the gently caress away instead of taking a picture

e: I think this thread might be finally breaking me

Cherry red like that is ~1300 degrees F in steel. :D

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
https://www.pnj.com/story/news/loca...ror/6137486001/

This just happened in my hometown, my parents were luckily a few houses past those affected :barf:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Final Blog Entry posted:

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/loca...ror/6137486001/

This just happened in my hometown, my parents were luckily a few houses past those affected :barf:

Okay HOW is this even possible? Like, sewage and potable water lines aren't even made of the same materials. There should be nothing there which can cross connect unless you're actively TRYING to gently caress up the potable water.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay HOW is this even possible? Like, sewage and potable water lines aren't even made of the same materials. There should be nothing there which can cross connect unless you're actively TRYING to gently caress up the potable water.

Don’t worry, the private contractor that did it has already gone dark and will surely be declaring bankruptcy before reforming as a new and totally unrelated business.

edit: Brown Construction, oh my god

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

edit: Brown Construction, oh my god

Code Brown!

PurpleXVI posted:

It had to be a pressure sewer line, coming off a lift station or something. They might potentially be similar materials to a potable water line then, but there’s still a lot that has to go wrong for that to happen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JFC that picture in that article of the dude holding the water filter with chunks of visibly poo poo-stained TP on it.

edit: here, got un-lazy for half a sec:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Bonus Jesus cord:

I mean, if that's for a generator hookup and they've got a proper transfer panel/lockout, it should never be hot.

However, given the fact that they're not using the proper cord for it, that's not a given.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Finished the kitchen, honey!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

The first one I get because they’re pulling a fast one on inspectors, but as to the second, I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a construction.

Had a half-switched outlet or just some outlet with the tab broken off in the toolbag and used it anyway. Waste not, want not. Should probably have connected neutrals at some point, but who's bickering?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kid sinister posted:

I think it took more effort to do it the wrong way than to do it correctly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

kid sinister posted:

That's bachelor spec. No spouse would approve.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Yea makes sense.

Zillow house buying story:
My mom sold her house a few months ago and wanted to FSBO. I helped including market research that put the "just say yes FSBO/no realtor" sale price at $450k and a "if the terms are right and the market is cooling" price of $415K. I signed up for a few "we'll buy your house" offers including Zillow figuring they'd be a BATNA in negotiations.

Zillow offered her $480k with $30K in total closing costs. From house listed online to money in the bank in ~40 days. They easily overpaid $30K for the house which has sat empty for 2+ months and has had no construction started yet I hear.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kid sinister posted:

There has to be some kind of spite backstory to this.

This is the kind of job you do when you're legally obligated to install cabinets for someone you hate.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ultra Carp
No no, think crappier. They couldn't install the cabinets to the studs because there are no studs in the wall. It's just drywall sheets wedged tight in between the ceiling and the floor. The cabinet brackets are screwed into drywall screw anchors.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Well There's Your Problem did an episode on the UCSB undergrad murder cube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4grR3qoSV90

also

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

For some reason, I just imagine a Matt Berry character every time I read these quotations.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Well There's Your Problem did an episode on the UCSB undergrad murder cube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4grR3qoSV90

also

Some enterprising Angelenos need to get to Hancock Park and introduce this idiot's "lots of windows" to "lots of rocks", repeatedly.

As a kid I stayed briefly in the Corbusier building in Marseille and as far as I remember it it was great. Plenty windows and light (seem to recall a two storey window as one side of the lounge/sitting room bit with interior stairs to access the upper rooms), and it had a paddling pool on the roof for kids to play in.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Vim Fuego posted:

No no, think crappier. They couldn't install the cabinets to the studs because there are no studs in the wall. It's just drywall sheets wedged tight in between the ceiling and the floor. The cabinet brackets are screwed into drywall screw anchors.

The way to do that IMO would be use a goodly amount of drywall screw anchors to attach a french cleat, make it two cleats, one lower and one upper. Then hang the cabinets from that. Not optimal, but then atleast the load would be spread out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/toomanybirbs/status/1456113364241948672