Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

welcome to hell posted:

My Boyfriend Is a Loser and I'm Embarrassed, Please Advice on Dumping Him Smoothly

At least she is trying to get out.

Also, reading this helped cement something that's been floating around loosely: If a liar/abuser is trying to convince you that all of the problems in their life are because of someone else, but taking all of their lies at face value it would mean that they have the world's worst case of bad judgement, then you should run away and/or kick them out anyways.

Call it the Lowtax Rule.

(Also, as someone with a bridge myself, I would be throwing hands if someone tried to yank it out. I'm not about to spend another $5k without a fight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think if someone unexpectedly sticks their hand in your mouth you're allowed to fight them even if you don't have a bridge

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

welcome to hell posted:

My Boyfriend Is a Loser and I'm Embarrassed, Please Advice on Dumping Him Smoothly

I don't know why but I find people like that scarier than obviously aggressive or weird people. Sounds like the guy is barely holding it together and might need some serious treatment. Run OP run.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting my in laws convince my kids to name their puppy after my husband's late wife?

They should name the puppy Rebecca.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Also, reading this helped cement something that's been floating around loosely: If a liar/abuser is trying to convince you that all of the problems in their life are because of someone else, but taking all of their lies at face value it would mean that they have the world's worst case of bad judgement, then you should run away and/or kick them out anyways.

Call it the Lowtax Rule.

(Also, as someone with a bridge myself, I would be throwing hands if someone tried to yank it out. I'm not about to spend another $5k without a fight.)

That is a good rule. While I have been more interested in posting about video games than engaging with the goon community, I still ended up hearing bits and pieces about his life. Discovering that he is an abuser suddenly made everything click into place.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Call it the Lowtax Rule.

I would say a more general rule is the amount of excuses they make is proportional to the amount of bullshit is their own fault.

I knew a friendship was pretty much over when a buddy who had descended into drinking and partying and failing to follow through on promises then got a DUI and started furiously arguing with me it was the bartenders fault for giving them free shots for his brother's birthday.

edit: lol I just remember the famous Lowtax hospital picture was basically a gaslight where he had his mom come in and set everything up so he could take that picture.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll be honest, if I put a lot of work into caring for a lemon tree outside my apartment and never got a single goddamn lemon, I'd be pissed too. I need those lemons for gin.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hmmm pathological liar, history of cheating, revenge fantasies against fast food employees he’s somehow developed bad blood with at 37: just a few hiccups you can overcome with couples therapy, love conquers all!!

quote:

I need to break this off but don’t wanna detail all my reasons because I know hurting his ego might backfire. I need advice on what to say so that he gets put off completely and doesn’t bother trying to hold on to the relationship. Any advice to discourage him would be great.

She has already decided to break up with him, she's asking for advice on how to do it safely. I agree it's quite scary.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

welcome to hell posted:

quote:

Gabe (37) and I hit it off immediately, tbh, the connection I’ve experienced in this relationship is the reason I haven’t left him yet. ... I was drawn to Gabe since we laughed a lot, confided in each other and treated each other with consideration.

I now live closer to him, after one year of relationship.

A tale as old as time: distant partner is fun, amazing, makes you feel great then it turns out it's a bullshit house of cards that falls apart almost immediately once you live nearby.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

welcome to hell posted:

quote:

My breaking point happened yesterday. I have a semi permanent tooth bridge. I’ve never told him because that’s private.

What? You're dating this guy for a year and this never ever comes up idly? Why is this "super private" it's a tooth bridge. Calm down!!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Tobermory posted:

They should name the puppy Rebecca.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

star eater posted:

What? You're dating this guy for a year and this never ever comes up idly? Why is this "super private" it's a tooth bridge. Calm down!!

Also, lady, you're loving 39. you just loving tell him you're loving done

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

theflyingexecutive posted:

For starters, no wedding has ever been hosed up by a lack of or a second string flower girl. It seems the way the bride reacted was less about making sure her friend was ok (over a period of months where the op was seriously spiraling) and more about losing her daughter as a walking prop. Second, miscarriages are hugely devastating to people, physically (all of your hormones ricocheting without the burst of oxytocin to balance it out) and emotionally and that's on top of already existing anxiety. My mother had five kids and never fully got over her miscarriage.

The much, much bigger issue is that she refuses to let her daughter go even though her husband is going and wants to take their child, and (per a comment) the daughter was really looking forward to going and being a princess. There was no reason her not going meant her daughter couldn't go, except her requirement that her daughter be with her at all times. Her daughter wasn't there because Mom needed her security blanket. Children should never be security blankets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tarkus posted:

I don't know why but I find people like that scarier than obviously aggressive or weird people. Sounds like the guy is barely holding it together and might need some serious treatment. Run OP run.

Because they have no self-awareness, common sense, or ability to actually engage with problems in a healthy manner, their entire life is lies upon lies, petty nonsensical grudges and hangups over the dumbest poo poo that any remotely sensible person or even a weirdo who actually cares about things would just forget about. That mix of petty, stupid and short-sighted is a pain to deal with in the long term because they have no concept of problem solving or long-term thinking.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah I'm empathetic about miscarriage and the trauma it brings, but it goes too far once you're interrupting your loved one's ability to go enjoy life. That's when you need professional help to work through your anxiety, not be sated by cancelling the daughter's plans.

It's really not ok to take experiences away from your kids because you're terrified you might lose them if they leave the house. Down that way, madness and codependence lies.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

Apparently it's some kind of covenant obligation:

I guess lovely HOAs or some equivalent are a problem in England too

Hm. That's pretty weird. I wonder what would happen if she just didn't do it. A fine, maybe?

I mean if she's contractually obligated to maintain the tree, that kinds sucks but it doesn't give her ownership over the lemons.

welcome to hell posted:

I don't know what a tooth bridge is but why would anyone try to pull one out of someone's mouth? This guy is just a walking red flag. Get out asap.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting my in laws convince my kids to name their puppy after my husband's late wife?
I feel like no matter how much I liked someone I'd split if there were overbearing in laws. I hope reddit told her to stand her ground. I mean that in the argument sense not the florida sense.

Edit: Rounding out the last few pages, yeah the mom who said no to flower girl sucks. Anxiety doesn't mean you get to ruin poo poo for other people and then hide behind the illness. I'd almost be on her side if she like, apologized for her actions? But just "no I can do any bad poo poo because I have anxiety and you're not allowed to get mad at me" is so bullshit. I've been in mental health crises and done/said wrong things, I think most people have. But it's not a get out of criticism free card.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2021

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

star eater posted:

I don't think being 39 is some magical shield that protects you from a guy with delusions of fast-food vengeance getting violent.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Invisible Clergy posted:

r/relationships: I understand that his bday is tied to a deeply traumatic event however I decided it’s time to replace those memories. It's a pity this is so long and difficult to abbreviate because drat is it perfect as an encapsulation of what this thread is about.

Does "r/relationships: I understand that his bday is tied to a deeply traumatic event however I" fit? You know what's coming after a however like that.

Or if it needs to be trimmed further, maybe r/relationships: I understand that is tied to a deeply traumatic event, however I

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
:eng101: There is actually an established body of law about the fruit tree issue: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usufruct

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 3, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

star eater posted:

The dude's got an unstable vibe that implies straight telling him you're done would invite stalking and other violent behavior. So the ask seems more of "how do I exit this safely" if you read between the lines.
That said, I doubt tricking him into it is the best way to do it. Guy seems unpredictable.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

star eater posted:

Sometimes people are embarrassed/self conscious about this sort of thing.

My dad has been missing his front teeth since he was twelve due to a childhood accident, and I didn't really realise until his bridge broke maybe ten years back.

My mom confided to me that they were dating for months before she found out, and it was basically the same circumstances: he'd broken his dentures and attempted to hide his toothlessness from her when they met for a meal.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

star eater posted:

I mean, how long does it take for it to come up in conversation that you have a filling? Especially if it's not one of the front teeth, I can see it not being something that would come up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, he's 37. Hes had a good run, its ok to put him down.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a wire retainer that fell out when I was a kid, and never got it replaced or properly removed, so I've still got a bit of permanent glue on the back of my canines. I don't think anyone knows this about me, despite it not being anything secret or personal, because it has never come up in conversation and I don't know why anyone would need to be told.

Except you guys. You are the only ones to know this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had a wire retainer that fell out when I was a kid, and never got it replaced or properly removed, so I've still got a bit of permanent glue on the back of my canines. I don't think anyone knows this about me, despite it not being anything secret or personal, because it has never come up in conversation and I don't know why anyone would need to be told.

Mods change this poster's name to Tooth Glue, thanks in advance.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ponzicar posted:

:eng101: There is actually an established body of law about the fruit tree issue: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usufruct

I think the 'issue' with the fruit tree isn't that the public are allowed access to it, it's that the landowner is told they are responsible for a thing's maintenance, but can make no claims (apart from those available to the general public) on it. All stick, no carrot. We have the same here where people are responsible for keeping their grass verge trimmed and looking nice or facing a fine, but you sure as gently caress can't put anything on that verge or the city will remove it. They're all just ways of local councils making everything worse to save a buck, with the added bonus of having lovely unmaintained public areas when owners go AWOL.

Lady's pissed that she had to take care of something then realize it was all for naught. I would be too if it was a whole fuckin' tree instead of a few seconds extra of lawnmowing.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

El Spamo posted:

The dude's got an unstable vibe that implies straight telling him you're done would invite stalking and other violent behavior. So the ask seems more of "how do I exit this safely" if you read between the lines.
That said, I doubt tricking him into it is the best way to do it. Guy seems unpredictable.

Based on his behaviour thus far I think she should fake her death and move to Alaska.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Serephina posted:

I think the 'issue' with the fruit tree isn't that the public are allowed access to it, it's that the landowner is told they are responsible for a thing's maintenance, but can make no claims (apart from those available to the general public) on it. All stick, no carrot. We have the same here where people are responsible for keeping their grass verge trimmed and looking nice or facing a fine, but you sure as gently caress can't put anything on that verge or the city will remove it. They're all just ways of local councils making everything worse to save a buck, with the added bonus of having lovely unmaintained public areas when owners go AWOL.

Lady's pissed that she had to take care of something then realize it was all for naught. I would be too if it was a whole fuckin' tree instead of a few seconds extra of lawnmowing.

Just live in Massachusetts, where most curbside grass is so destroyed by road salt you would've thought Scipio Aemilianus was a snow plow driver.

spouse posted:

There are very few things less attractive in a sexual partner than being insecure that you might feel pleasure they didn't cause.

I have an ex who had major hang ups about me masturbating. Like, near-tears breakdowns because I happened to jerk it one morning. Turns out she had a lot of other issues too and controlling things was just kinda her vent valve.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

welcome to hell posted:

I know everyone got caught up on the tooth bridge thing but did everybody's eyes skip over the part where he's inspecting her vaginal discharge

the way she describes his behavior it honestly sounds like the dude is developing some kind of degenerative brain disease resulting in paranoid mental breakdown. this guy needs a psych eval stat

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

every time my cat changes his behaviour too much i take him to the vet

and they tell me "it's ok he's just very stupid"

Now I want a very stupid cat. Like she just spends hours with her face pressed against a wall for no discernable reason.

Please provide actual Stupid Cat behaviors, thank you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

kalel posted:

I know everyone got caught up on the tooth bridge thing but did everybody's eyes skip over the part where he's inspecting her vaginal discharge

the way she describes his behavior it honestly sounds like the dude is developing some kind of degenerative brain disease resulting in paranoid mental breakdown. this guy needs a psych eval stat

Yeah, this web of creepy behaviors tightening around her bodily autonomy is a pretty bad sign

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sounds like you need to find someone in your life who knows how to really give a kiss.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

kalel posted:

That's what I was thinking. I'm wondering if he's the kind of guy that listens to Stephan Molyneux and obsesses about the number of eggs she has left and other kooky poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Beachcomber posted:

A girl I dated had a cat who just absolutely could not conceive of his head taking up space. He'd run full tilt at a wall, and stop just a little too slowly to avoid hitting his head into the wall. Whenever he walked under anything, like a chair, he'd know to lower his head, but would raise it just one step too early and bonk his head into the crossbeam or whatever else was above it.

There was nothing actually wrong with him, other than being a certified Stupid Cat, and he was a very happy and cuddly cat, with a particular disposition towards bunting. His only concerning behavior was that he was absolutely terrified of fences (the going theory being that he had once gotten himself trapped between a fence and a sprinkler, with no avenue for escape that he could see), which meant he could be let into the garden unsupervised despite being a lifelong indoor cat, as he would never even approach its boundaries.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Say "I cast magic missile" and throw the vodka bottle at Chris's face

Too bad it wasn't whiskey 'cuz maybe it'd be fireball...

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
AITA for still doing something my girlfriend did not want me to do?

quote:

So couples of months ago, my girlfriend of 2 years and I went to a party at her friend's house. I was the first time I was going to meet them.

At the party I made some new "friends". There was that one guy who is an high school classmate of my girlfriend. We got to know each other and turned out that he was the president of a huge company who I though could be potentially a big client of my company where I work at which is a startup.

The guy added me on social media. But then my girlfriend saw that we were getting to know each other and she tild me that I should not be "friends" with her friends? I am still not exactly sure why. When I asked her the reason, she just said "just because I do not feel comfortable with it". Again, not sure why. Maybe they had a past? Maybe she does not like him? Either way, I do not care at all and I made that clear to her.

I still went ahead and messaged him telling him about the company I work at and what we do and stuff. He loved the concept and I connected him to my boss. Again, this could potentially be a huge thing for my company and could potentially have me getting a raise or even promote me.

My girlfriend found out and she got so pissed and asked me why do I need to message him and do all that even though she told me not to. I thought that this was ridiculous but ut made me feel bad when I think of it. I did not respect her decision. But again, I am still not sure why would she want me to not talk to him especially when this would potentially give me a raise. I absolutely thought that my girlfriend would be happy to hear that I might get a raise from it.

We got into a huge fight and even threatened to break up because I did not respect her decision and told me that I should make work connections through my own connection. But to me I thought connections is supposed to be through anybody. That's how connections are supposed to work right? Anyways, I then apologized to her and told her that I would never do it again. However, this is still bugging me since I did not intend to hurt her feelings or maybe "steal" her friends? I am still not sure why..

TLDR: Went to a party at my girlfriend's friends that I was meeting for the first time and met this guy who could potentially be my company's huge client and became friends with him even though my girlfriend did not want me to. She said that I did not respect her decision. AITA?

Edit: I have had some financial issues and clearly communicated that to my girlfriend. Thought I put that in there since this is partially the reason why I went ahead with it.

This one isn't particularly notable but everyone in the comments is arguing about whether or not she's hiding something or if he's an rear end in a top hat for just doing professional networking with someone he'll without a doubt only have short interactions with after this. I mean if my fiancee got someone I know to buy a product from her company for their business I would just think "hell yeah extra money coming in" but I also wouldn't tell her "don't be friends with my friends." or say "just don't" if she asked why I said that.

Also for stupid cat chat my fiancee's cat is incapable of cleaning herself properly and instead "grooms" by absolutely soaking herself in her own spit to the point where we've both said "Link why are you soaking wet" on more than occasion within recent memory. She also can't figure out doors consistently and likes to get behind the door in an attempt to leave a room.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I had a cat that definitely had something wrong with its brain. We called it feline autism, as he just couldn't understand the body language or actions of other cats. They could be hissing or trying to square up to him and he was just confused. Managed to survive regardless by virtue of being the largest moggie anyone had ever seen. Just lived for hunting though, and took out hares and herring gulls. I once saw him try and stalk a cow, but quickly worked out that was a bad idea when the cow started trying to sniff and paw at him.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Tired: Angry about landlords
Wired: Angry about multilayered landlords

quote:

I rented a three-bedroom apartment from the owner.

He got inconsistent rents via room rentals. Empty rooms paid $0. His rent was $500 per room. I took the entire rent upon myself: $1,500 a month plus utilities. Room rentals in the area were $700. I repainted. I furnished the place. I maintained it.

I took a room myself and rented the other two rooms for $800, with each paying one-third of the utilities. I did the work to get the roommates. They paid for themselves. If they left, the financial burden was on me. I risked the investment. My logic: I should be paid for my work.

In my opinion, they didn’t earn the right to pay $500 a month. The market rent was $800 for the amenities and the location, and it was furnished. My rent was one-third of the utilities and I earned $100 every month. The landlord got $1,500 a month on time.

Eight years later, the gig ended with the house sold.

Was I wrong?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bug Squash posted:

I had a cat that definitely had something wrong with its brain. We called it feline autism, as he just couldn't understand the body language or actions of other cats. They could be hissing or trying to square up to him and he was just confused. Managed to survive regardless by virtue of being the largest moggie anyone had ever seen. Just lived for hunting though, and took out hares and herring gulls. I once saw him try and stalk a cow, but quickly worked out that was a bad idea when the cow started trying to sniff and paw at him.

Oh my god, it's a real-life example of this scene, where your cat honestly judged it wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

haveblue posted:

I think if someone unexpectedly sticks their hand in your mouth you're allowed to fight them even if you don't have a bridge

bite or flight