Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

Yeah it doesn't quite gel with me. If the dragon is reborn a woman she won't go crazy and a lot of the terror is taken right out.

Like, sure she would still remake the world and tear down the old order, but it's not quite the same.

So it goes.

I mean if Egwene were the dragon that'd be great everything would go much more smoothly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

dragon nynaeve or bust

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SerSpook posted:

dragon nynaeve or bust

the world is a stick

broken over your shoulders

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean if Egwene were the dragon that'd be great everything would go much more smoothly

Sure, but it wouldn't be the same story. Rands descent into insanity is pretty core to the story, as is the world's reaction to it, and to him.

I don't mind the artificial ambiguity in service of TV storytelling and inclusiveness. It would be a huge departure if they went further than that, but it doesn't look like they will.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rarity posted:

Yeah the possibility of a sane female Dragon makes everyone's fear at the idea of the Dragon Reborn not really play the same way

Then the fear is that the dragon will break saidar like they broke saidin, and every aes sedai will go mad. Compelling.

LTT wasn’t mad because of the taint. He was making insane wizard decisions from moment “drill the bore”.

Anias fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 3, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Anias posted:

Then the fear is that the dragon will break saidar like they broke saidin, and every aes sedai will go mad. Compelling.

Okay, you've convinced me. That is super compelling. :stare:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Dragon returning also means the Last Battle is coming so sane or not that still means a big war against the Shadow and lots of death all around. Not good times imho

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of the problems surrounding rand are mostly due to him being the dragon reborn by itself anyways, and are independent of him being bugfuck crazy after a point

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i feel like even a woman dragon reborn would be side-eyed due to being the reincarnation of an insane person

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Anias posted:

LTT wasn’t mad because of the taint. He was making insane wizard decisions from moment “drill the bore”.

lews therin didn't drill the bore

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

How are u posted:

If the dragon is reborn a woman she won't go crazy and a lot of the terror is taken right out.

Oh, really?

I mean if Egwene were the dragon

G A W Y N is just another way to spell insanity imo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anias posted:

LTT didn't drill the bore, Lanfear did :v:. And after that it was still a few decades before things really kicked off or anyone knew what had happened.

LTT was a bit of an egotist who managed to drive half the Forsaken to the Dark One because they were insanely jealous of him but the only really bad decision he made was going to seal the bore with the hundred companions without any backup. Like in basically everything else in his life he was this larger than life figure who was incredibly talented, charming and consistently good at leading to the point he won the War of Power.

Then he got the taint and killed his whole family.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I mean part of the reason LTT failed and saidin was tainted in the first place is because the female ais sedai balked at the strike on shayl ghul.

He asked them to join, they said no.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Latra Posae Decumae did nothing wrong, change my mind

(If they had helped all of Saidar as well would have been tainted)

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I had the impression that most people in the world of Wheel of Time didn't know much about the dragon and thought of him as an antichrist figure who might even be in league with the dark one, it wasn't a thing where they thought he'd be a swell guy outside of the male channeling bit

Even as far as channeling goes I think they know that men channeling is worse than women channeling, but idk how many of them are big fans of women channeling either

Like if Egwene had raised the dragon banner they wouldn't have been like "phew, it's a Tar Valon witch bringing on the apocalypse, I feel a lot better now"

We'll see, it's probably my least favorite change so far in the abstract, but it'll all depend on how they pull it off in the context of the show

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

SerSpook posted:

lews therin didn't drill the bore

he was drilling her every night, that’s why Lanfear got so jealous :grin:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I don't think we ever get confirmation of that, do we? Seems like it's just as likely that men and women working together could have succeeded.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zore posted:

LTT didn't drill the bore, Lanfear did :v:. And after that it was still a few decades before things really kicked off or anyone knew what had happened.

LTT was a bit of an egotist who managed to drive half the Forsaken to the Dark One because they were insanely jealous of him but the only really bad decision he made was going to seal the bore with the hundred companions without any backup. Like in basically everything else in his life he was this larger than life figure who was incredibly talented, charming and consistently good at leading to the point he won the War of Power.

Then he got the taint and killed his whole family.

iirc he had an army with him, in addition to the companions

and he was losing the war, that's why he attacked mordor

making it possible that the dragon could be a woman is smart from the marketing pov, even if it doesn't make sense in the world that bob made up

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

this is the truth, using both saidar and saidin would have still been an imperfect seal and only allowed the dark one to taint both saidar and saidin. you need the true power involved as well, which rand had via his link to moridin

it was a literal unwinnable situation, the only alternate plan would have also lead to tainted saidar+saidin, plus a lot of devastation from trying to literally fight the dark one via application of absurd amounts of power

in the end, neither lews therin, nor latra posae did anything wrong imo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buffalo all day posted:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

How are u posted:

I don't think we ever get confirmation of that, do we? Seems like it's just as likely that men and women working together could have succeeded.

yeah, i think that that's one of the main themes of the series

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

At the same time its hard to argue LTT was wrong. They were losing in the WoP and he had intelligence on a limited opportunity where you'd not only be able to seal TDO but 13 of his greatest lieutenants because traditional tactics were failing. The Choedan Kal weren't ready and wouldn't be in time.

And he absolutely managed to end the war. Shame about everything that happened after but I'm not sure 'wait for an amazing super weapon to finish and do basically the same plan except we don't get the Forsaken' would have worked much better.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

How are u posted:

Unless one of the female Aes Sedai would have had the idea to use the True Power as well as Saidar/Saidin then it would have failed the same way. The problem with how LTT sealed the bore was that Saidin was "touching" the DO, adding women to the mix wouldn't have fixed that

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

SerSpook posted:

in the end, neither lews therin, nor latra posae did anything wrong imo

I think I took away a familiar lesson for those in long term relationships, which is that it doesn’t really matter if you believe you’re 100% right and your partner is wrong, if your partner isn’t on board you shouldn’t go unilaterally do it. LTT should have done whatever plan he could get the female AS to buy in on because it was more important for both sides to work cooperatively. That’s the lesson Rand seems to have learned by the end, too.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

At the same time its hard to argue LTT was wrong. They were losing in the WoP and he had intelligence on a limited opportunity where you'd not only be able to seal TDO but 13 of his greatest lieutenants because traditional tactics were failing. The Choedan Kal weren't ready and wouldn't be in time.

And he absolutely managed to end the war. Shame about everything that happened after but I'm not sure 'wait for an amazing super weapon to finish and do basically the same plan except we don't get the Forsaken' would have worked much better.

it was basically the kobayashi maru, only you can't just hack the dark one so you win

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

How are u posted:

I mean part of the reason LTT failed and saidin was tainted in the first place is because the female ais sedai balked at the strike on shayl ghul.

He asked them to join, they said no.

There was no other way it could have happened! The wheel weaves as the wheel wills

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You don’t hack the dark one. You have a pleasant fireside conversation with it. Who could have ever thought to do that?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

You don’t hack the dark one. You have a pleasant fireside conversation with it. Who could have ever thought to do that?

exactly, poor communication just gets people killed and leads to bad times. something the series goes to great lengths to show

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I believe you Hack The Planet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have to say the Aes Sedai rings look super tacky

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nihilarian posted:

I have to say the Aes Sedai rings look super tacky

yeah, but a tiny snake is hard to show on screen, so big tacky rings are needed for tv

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I thought it was implied that the Dark One was able to taint Saidin because the women didn't help? Not that they could have sealed him forever with the women helping?

Like the men were vulnerable to the counterstroke of the dark one because only Saidin was used. Edit: If Saidar had also been used it would have repelled the taint

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

th3t00t posted:

I thought it was implied that the Dark One was able to taint Saidin because the women didn't help? Not that they could have sealed him forever with the women helping?

Like the men were vulnerable to the counterstroke of the dark one because only Saidin was used. Edit: If Saidar had also been used it would have repelled the taint

no, its the true power that serves as an insulator, preventing the counterstroke.

saidar+saidin allows for the perfect seal. you need all three for a flawless victory.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Saidin was gooched because it was the half of the power used, that's it. If women were there than saidar would also have been tweenised.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Saidin was gooched because it was the half of the power used, that's it. If women were there than saidar would also have been tweenised.

yeah it seems like a pretty fair assumption, it's the true power that protects them and LTT and co wouldn't have known to use it even if they had made an accord with the female aes sedai

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think it's ever explicitly said what the outcome would or wouldn't have been if the women had helped as well and the dubious nature of the whole situation and the fact that it was a prime example of no one working together like they should have been carries more weight than any other interpretation

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
They cleansed the taint without the TP though. (lol)

I thought the TP combined with both halves of the OP made the perfect seal, and had nothing to do with protection from the taint.

Being in a circle of men + women may have prevented the tainting of Saidin, like how it provides a buffer against the taint when using callandor.

The DO may not have had the strength to break though that buffer and taint both sides.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Cleanse your taint periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i just pulled out my copy of a memory of light. chapter 47, at the end, the glove of the true power prevents the dark one from tainting saidin again. that's definitely part of the role it plays